• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
My OSSC arrived! My 1080p TV unfortunately only supports Line2X but on the plus side it doesn't seem to display borders from my 240p Signal. Yay? (Or did I do something wrong?)

Just tried Mr. Heli on my 4k desk monitor and it looks incredible at 5x

Last edited:
Any PVM adjustment experts here?

My picture is still pulling toward the left with most consoles. My H Phase and Frequency are both nearing their bottom limits.

Is there any other way I could adjust it? Like a horizontal potentiometer adjustment on the actual board?

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I thought that 480p was still doable from a PAL GC using the digital output port, just that PAL games themselves disabled the option. I tried myself with an NTSC copy of Ikaruga a while back and it seemed to work fine outputting with a GCHD Mk II.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
So I've been really into the Analogue stuff since the Super Nt. I'm really looking forward to the pocket. Anyhow, I saw the DAC on their website the other day and I was wondering if someone in here can tell me what it is and if I need it.

I have a small collection of older systems and am always looking at getting more. I have a couple of Sony Trinitron CRT's and any new retro consoles I get I check My Life in Gaming to find the best way to play those systems. I've always thought about getting an OSSC or something similar. Is that what the DAC is?

I think my next system will be the Dreamcast or maybe a Saturn.

Thanks.

NVM, just found out. Sorry folks.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
Hey y'all.

Not sure if this is the thread to post my question, but i recently came up on a TMSS Model 1 High Definition Graphics Genesis. Taking it apart, the rf shield was rusty and some metal parts of the board had surface rust. System worked well even at this condition. I got rid of 90% of the rust using a brush, vinegar and soaking the rf shield with evaporust.

So, for my question: i notice that when playing games on the system, whenever it loads something new into memory or transitions to a new screen, i get this minor looking video noise. Like a line of a couple white dots/noise. It's not the biggest distraction, but I'm not sure what is causing it. It also did this before i cleaned it up. Are the capacitors in need of changing soon? The audio through the headphone jack sounds really clean and not noisy at all.

I've only tested the system on a crt with composite video cables at the moment.

Last edited:

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
I would say to try a better quality cable if you wanna see the noise go away

I don't think it's the cable cause the noise goes away once the next screen is loaded.

It's like when you turn on a system with the tv on and you see a little buzz before the game starts. I'm not seeing a buzz, but a couple white dots then it goes away.

But yeah I'm gonna pick up some better cables soon.

Edit - So, I tested the system on my Panasonic plasma and it's all noisy throughout. So, it might be the cheap cables i got off amazon for $5 lol.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've started getting into retro gaming with my kids lately. Scored a free 34XBR910 and a free KV-27FS100 from Facebook Marketplace, both pristine. The XBR looks almost like new despite being 16 years old! Calibrating CRTs is an art that I have gotten out of practice with for sure. So as far as displays I should be set for both newer and older consoles. For now.

My wife surprised me with a Sega Gensis Sunday morning, and I found my original N64 in my parent's attic, but no games, so I'm kind of starting from scratch. I think the Wii is going to be my next pickup, along with some component cables.

The other console I'm interested in is the Sega Dreamcast. Since most games support 480p over VGA, but neither of my CRTs have a VGA port, I need some way of getting that nice clean RGB progressive scan signal over. Are there any aftermarket component cables for the DC? Or is there a recommend component-to-VGA transcoder that people use?

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
HDRetroVision are working on Dreamcast component cables, both of the custom cable manufacturers (retroaccess and retrogamingcables) make RGB Dreamcast cables. It looks like retrogamingcables will have component cables soon too.

retro-access.com

Retro Access Dreamcast 15kHz/31kHz 480i/480p SCART Cable

All our cables are 100% manufactured in the USA using components sourced from reputable suppliers. All Dreamcast cables now by default have Kemet 220uf tantalum capacitors on the source (console end) board.This is a SCART cable for use with Dreamcast (works on any regional model, PAL or NTSC.) A...

With retro access I believe the store restocks every morning at 10am est, or maybe its just on sunday mornings, not sure haven't needed to buy cables in some time.

I don't think it's the cable cause the noise goes away once the next screen is loaded.

It's like when you turn on a system with the tv on and you see a little buzz before the game starts. I'm not seeing a buzz, but a couple white dots then it goes away.

But yeah I'm gonna pick up some better cables soon.

Edit - So, I tested the system on my Panasonic plasma and it's all noisy throughout. So, it might be the cheap cables i got off amazon for $5 lol.

The caps on all Genesis Model 1 are probably due for a replacement now. But, if you didn't see any caps in need of replacement, it's hard to say.

Voltage regulators may also be due for a replacement.

May or may not fix the problem, though!

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
OSSC newbie here! A few questions.

Trying my PAL PSone through RGB on the OSSC. It works fine for the front end, but complains about unsupported display when it loads a game. I've tried several games, all with the same problem. Any tips?

I also tried Component cables from the PS2 but I'm 99% sure the PSone can't output component.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Trying my PAL PSone through RGB on the OSSC. It works fine for the front end, but complains about unsupported display when it loads a game. I've tried several games, all with the same problem. Any tips?

I also tried Component cables from the PS2 but I'm 99% sure the PSone can't output component.

Is it just passing through the video or has it been set to line doubling? Sounds like the OSSC isnt doing anything yet. The front end I think is 480i/576i, and once it gets into a game it goes down to 240p/288p (i think this is PAL's 240p equivalent?), which i'm guessing modern TV's dont support.

Could be wrong, I dont own one, just guessing :)

Edit - Sorry just seen you had previously been using it fine, ignore me :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Can it display the the PSOne dashboard? Like the CD player on screen?

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Got an S-video modded Genesis model 2 hooked up to my Trinitron. It looks so much better than the composite output on my model 1

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HDRetroVision are working on Dreamcast component cables, both of the custom cable manufacturers (retroaccess and retrogamingcables) make RGB Dreamcast cables. It looks like retrogamingcables will have component cables soon too.

retro-access.com

Retro Access Dreamcast 15kHz/31kHz 480i/480p SCART Cable

All our cables are 100% manufactured in the USA using components sourced from reputable suppliers. All Dreamcast cables now by default have Kemet 220uf tantalum capacitors on the source (console end) board.This is a SCART cable for use with Dreamcast (works on any regional model, PAL or NTSC.) A...

With retro access I believe the store restocks every morning at 10am est, or maybe its just on sunday mornings, not sure haven't needed to buy cables in some time.

Thanks! I'll have to follow HDRetroVision and see if they bring that to market for the DC. I ordered their Wii/WiiU component cables today, for 480i/240p on my KV-27FS100. They have cheaper component cables for those Nintendo consoles but I don't want to skimp because I remember back in the day some cheaper analog cables having issues with color bleeding or noise.

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018

I've not had any issues with the ps1 myself, but it sounds like your tv doesn't recognize the output, so I'd try cycling through the output and sampling options to see if any of them work.

Following links have more details
http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=OSSC#Output_opt.
http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=OSSC#Sampling_opt.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Speaking of Wii cables, back in the day I read in Amazon reviews that the Wii RGB cable was bad quality, not shielded and such. So I ended up with what I hope is an early revision of the BigBen RGB cable and another one.
Were the reviews right tho?

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Today I realised that my official NTSC Gamecube Component Cable is missing! (;_;)

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Thanks all!! I found my official component cable! It was plugged into my TV the whole time! Oops!

I also found my Saurian RGB cable! I tested both and they both work well. Does anyone know how easy it is to reverse mod it back into a component cable?

Last edited:

speedlolita

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking of getting an SD2SNES Pro during the Black Friday sale but not sure whether it's best to order it direct from Krikzz, Castlemania, or Amazon. They latter two are not quite as discounted as far as direct from Krikzz but shipping makes it come out in the wash. Is there a risk of getting a counterfeit one from Amazon?

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of getting an SD2SNES Pro during the Black Friday sale but not sure whether it's best to order it direct from Krikzz, Castlemania, or Amazon. They latter two are not quite as discounted as far as direct from Krikzz but shipping makes it come out in the wash. Is there a risk of getting a counterfeit one from Amazon?
I'd go for Stoneage Gamer. They're licensed resellers and they're in the US. But the Amazon listing should be official from Krikzz too.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017

I'm so impressed with how well Saturn and PS1 games look through the OSSC. I'm hoping to play through some games I didn't finish in the late 1990s

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
How's the JVC av-27f485?

Getting one for free, so I'll be using it regardless, just curious if you guys ever messed with one.

It has component in on it, but nothing I'm seeing tells me if it can do 480p or if it's still just 480i. This will be my Wii and retro TV.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I'd go for Stoneage Gamer. They're licensed resellers and they're in the US. But the Amazon listing should be official from Krikzz too.

Thanks, I'd completely forgotten about StoneAgeGamer in my post. I went ahead and just got an Everdrive X5 though. I really couldn't justify an SD2SNES since I own original carts of all the SuperFX games I want and I'm not interested in MSU-1 support. $180 for the few translation patches I want to play and the 240p Test Suit to setup my SNES on the OSSC just couldn't be justified. Still excited though, I've never owned a flash cart before.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking of getting an OSSC for PAL Wii/GCN. How does this one look to you?
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07QF95QP

Pretty much any OSSC on Amazon is from random Chinese vendors/builders, which in and of itself is fine since the design is open-source, but I've seen mixed things about their reliability. Any reason you can't buy directly from VideoGamePerfection? They're the original vendor for the device I believe and host to the official support forums. At least buying through them you have a known quantity when it comes to support or customer service issues.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Pretty much any OSSC on Amazon is from random Chinese vendors/builders, which in and of itself is fine since the design is open-source, but I've seen mixed things about their reliability. Any reason you can't buy directly from VideoGamePerfection? They're the original vendor for the device I believe and host to the official support forums. At least buying through them you have a known quantity when it comes to support or customer service issues.
Ugh, sorry about the broken link. This vendor is supposedly from Nottingham.
I don't have anything, credit-card or Paypal-wise.

Edit: I've come up with the genius idea to search for "Kaico" itt.
Three posts.

Last edited:

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
Apparently the OSSC you've linked (by Kaico) has a similar parts and build quality to the ones sold by VGP (who work with the OSSC's creator Marqs) and comes with a remote that has an OSSC overlay as standard, which are optional extras with VGP.

The issue with Kaico is that they've started cloning non-open source devices and cables, which isn't great but does just put them in line with every other clone manufacturer, so its still the second best OSSC to buy.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
My new Super Everdrive X5 sits too low in the cartridge slot of my launch SNES. It's low enough that the locking mechanism on the power switch isn't lined up with the cartridge slot when the cart is fully inserted. As a result I can't turn it on unless I manually lift the cart a bit, but I"m not sure how much contact I actually have left between the cart pins and the console slot pins after doing that.

Does anyone have this same issue or is this a normal issues with Super Famicom carts in a launch SNES? I'm not sure how to resolve this or if I should even be worried about it. I'm thinking of taking a dremel to the lock slots on the cartridge housing after taking measurements on a US cart.

Any other ideas?

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I found a Toshiba HD CRT for sale locally. I'm picking it up on Thursday. It has an HDMI input.

Anyone know if these are any good? I don't have the model Number yet, but I doubt there are many models, right?