• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I've been looking recently at professional video monitors, commonly known as PVMs, only to discover that the price for such units skyrocketed in the past few years. I mean, holy moly! On Ebay, for an average 14" unit, it costs around $800cdn, up to a thousand dollars (!!!) including shipping and custom duty fees. This is for a standard 14" Sony model mind you, not a larger one nor one of those holy-grail specific models that knowledgeable retro gamers are specifically looking for.

Also, it's not like this is easily obtainable on Kijiji or the flea market anywhere near where I live. No one is selling this kind of gear, let alone knows about any of this.

Anyway, since I've switched my Panasonic VT series plasma toward an LG B6 OLED back in 2016, I kind of miss the damn thing for my retro gaming needs. Let me explain that. The LG is a beast. It's undoubtedly the best TV I ever had, but it's missing a couple of things. First, it lacks when it comes to regular inputs other than HDMI, which makes sense since it is a 2016 TV. I mean, it has dongles that you can use to connect a component or a composite device. But that's pretty much it. Also, the upscaling from such connection types (component, specifically) leaves to be desired. There's only so much a modern TV can do to handle legacy inputs like component and while I think LG did a good job at upscaling the signal on their 4K OLED panel, it is certainly not providing the crispness I am looking for.

But the worst offender to me is that the LG B6 does not include a DE-15 connector (VGA). This is the main reason I miss my Panasonic so much. This pretty much killed any form of retro gaming on the LG for me as I need this connector in order to plug in my XRGB-3, which does not need any presentation to anyone familiar with up scan converter unit.

Well, after searching for a while, I've decided I'd go the 480p route. To me, that meant either an old, good CRT computer monitor, a CRT EDTV or a Plasma EDTV. Since they all commonly came with a VGA input, they did fit my needs perfectly. Being from the 2000s and deployed at large, they are still rather common on the used/flea market and they cost next to nothing since many are still stuck with them due to high offer / low demand.

If you know what to look for, you might end up with something fantastic. Let me be clear. Any EDTV will most likely do a much better job at displaying your old snes/ps1/ps3 era consoles than your new HDTV. For this reason alone, I highly recommend you go hunt for one if you have the space at your home.

But not all EDTV are born equal. On my hunt for a proper display, I was looking for what appears to be one of the best alternative to a PVM. The Pioneer PDP-V402. Fudoh from http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ has made a good review of the unit at shmups.system11.org.

Here's the link.

To sum it up, it's a perfect 4:3 ratio, 40'' plasma display that is an excellent alternative to a PVM. I've tried to find the same unit, but to be honest those are now hard to come by. While I couldn't find the exact same unit, I found a Pioneer PDP-424MV. It's pretty much the successor to the PDP-V402, but with newer tech and a widescreen panel. In theory, everything the PDP-V402 can do, the PDP-424MV can also do, and much more.

2djVQa3.jpg

This thing has it all, it's fucking ridiculous.

• Proper 853x480 widescreen resolution. Perfect for 240p signals, or 480i/p signals.
  • Proper 240p upscale. The internal hardware line doubles the signal for a perfect 240p to 480p conversion. Pixels are mapped perfectly. 480i is also perfectly de-interlaced.
  • Synchronization range goes from 15.5 to 110khz for Horizontal and 50 to 120hz for Vertical, which means it supports lots of signal types. From 640x400 up to 1920x1200.
  • Pretty much every compliant signal is supported. RGB, NTSC (3.58/4.43), PAL (B,G,M,N), PAL60, SECAM, HD, DVD, DTV.
  • Monstrous amount of input connectors. VGA, DVI, BNC, RCA, S-Video, Component, RS-232, etc.
  • Assuming you do not need RGB scart / JP21 direct connection or scan lines, this display will allow you to directly plug all of your old consoles with their best output solution.
  • Professional quality display means plenty of image burn-in reduction tools. Plasmas from this era are notorious for heavy burn-in issues but this display is safe to use with a minimum of maintenance on your part.
  • No input lag

I've plugged my XRGB-3 on it and the picture quality is freaking glorious. Even without the XRGB-3, as I explained above, the integrated upscaler of the display is fantastic. No input lag, perfectly mapped pixels.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 PS1 240p no scanline:
bX9Zc3g.jpg

Street Fighter Alpha 3 PS1 240p with scanline:
ykCYG5n.jpg

Street Fighter Zero 3 Saturn 240p with scanline:
U9uzf7U.jpg

Hyper Duel Saturn 240p with scanline:
479yNxS.jpg

dClMDXj.jpg

Chrono Cross PS1 480i:
xFhpIHL.jpg

Chrono Trigger PS1 240p with scanline:
kqLA5Ki.jpg

Chrono Trigger PS1 240p with scanline:
7oe3meq.jpg

My smartphone does not make the picture quality justice. I also am part of blame since I can't take a photo for shit. The lighting is all messed up, etc. But you get the point nonetheless.

Basically. Go hunt for an old EDTV. These displays will provide astonishing picture quality for your older consoles for peanuts. They cost next to nothing. They support 240p/480i/480p resolution making them a great budget alternative compared to your standard upscaler or a PVM. Any EDTV will be a huge step up to your standard lame ass old console connected to an HDTV.

"BTW….why an XRGB-3?" some of you might ask…

For those who aren't initiated, this little magic box delivers all the retro connectivity I need for old consoles like the SNES, PS1 or GC while also managing perfect interlaced signal as well as 240p up to 1080p. It converts them in such a good way that it makes a night & day difference between this box and your usual up-scaler. Its best feature, outside of its numerous and varied input connectors, is undoubtedly its B1 mode. Setting the FPGA inside the XRGB-3 to use B1 mode allows it to output 240p/480i signals with less than 2ms of input lag. It's virtually lag free. Not only that, but for old games that used multiple resolutions depending of the actual displayed screen (such as RE2 on N64 with an expansion pack as we've seen in the recent DF Retro episode or Chrono Cross and its 480i menu screen), you don't ever lose the signal when the game swaps from a resolution to another. The transitions are seamless. Obviously, the XRGB-3 is not perfect. It has many issues of its own that were fixed with its successor, the Framemeister Mini. Usually, as you play with the numerous settings, there's always a fix for any type of situation, but it does require micromanagement depending of the console you are using, sometimes going as far as game-specific fixes. For this reason alone, the XRGB-3 is king of PITA for those who don't like to spend times fine-tuning their setup more than once.

But when it works, you do get some benefits over the Framemeister. The XRGB-3 for example is fantastic at emulating CRT display look and feel when it comes to 480i signal. You'll get the same constant, active refresh feel with a hint of scanline. To me, it's the best option to match with a PS2 console. It's also better at displaying a sharper 240p/480p signal than the Framemeister if you couple the XRGB-3 with a native 480p panel (the Framemeister is hands down better when it comes to any screen with a native resolution over 480p though, therefore making it much superior for modern displays).

To sums it up, there are numerous up-scalers worthy of your money over the XRGB-3 nowadays, especially since the XRGB-3's price is ramping up. If you're interested into using such a device to make your old console look acceptable on your HD/FullHD/4KTV, skip this box, plain and simple. For folks like me who are stuck with it, can't find a proper PVM for the life of it or do not wish to upgrade to a newer upscaler just yet, plug it to an EDTV and be happy J

Last edited:

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I looked into buying an EDTV years ago, with no real luck. Those would be amazing for PS2 era, particularly for games that support progressive scan. Earlier stuff I'd probably still prefer on a CRT.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. I was unaware of the Pioneers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pal

Pal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I looked into buying an EDTV years ago, with no real luck. Those would be amazing for PS2 era, particularly for games that support progressive scan. Earlier stuff I'd probably still prefer on a CRT.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. I was unaware of the Pioneers.

No problem.

EDTV are still quite good for older consoles like the SNES or PS1. You won't get scanlines and you might perhaps still have bit of input lag on some models but in general it's still quite a leap compared to a modern TV. And of course if you have an up scale converter unit with scanline capability then it's a non issue.

OP
OP
Pal

Pal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Adding some screenshots here:

Again, excuse my photos. I still don't know how to take good pictures of this screen with my Galaxy S7. I feel horrible at doing this. I've lowered the brightness of the sensor and it seems to do a better job, but still kind of bad (too washed out, colors look so much better IRL).

Castlevania Chronicles PS1
6zNGd4d.jpg

Metal Slug X PS1
IUVK8a2.jpg

GdjUVKg.jpg

gEE2vFw.jpg

XGKQDGn.jpg

TNvnujL.jpg