• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Nice to see a few non-console publications getting a shout out. A couple of people have mentioned Zzap64 but I loved its Zx Spectrum equivalent, Crash. After the Spectrum it was all about the Amiga for me, and there were some brilliant magazines: Amiga Power is probably the most notorious :D

Deleted member 21431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Crash, ZZap!64, The One Amiga & PC Zone were my favourites (as I progressed from ZXSpectrum 48k, C64, Amiga 1200 and then PC).

Retro Gamer is a must for anyone who is into Retro gaming though. It's the only gaming related magazine I currently buy.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Anyone from The Netherlands or Belgium will remember Power Unlimited. The mag is still around today, and later the staff started a tv show too. I only read it in the 90's though, as it was one of the only mags in Dutch that provided reviews for all platforms. Depending on who reviewed a game you were interested in, you'd get trash (Boris) or quality (Jan). Guys like Boris were jokers who did full offtopic reviews from time to time, while others really put some effort in. I kept reading because even though the quality was iffy, you did have personalities there. I remember the stacked dec. 98 issue with Zelda, Metal Gear and all the heavy hitters from then. I wonder if there are people who still read it? Last I checked, some mainstays are still there like JJ or Jurjen.

OP
OP
Velasco

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PC Gamer (US) December 2004

38154445312_eaa701c83d_k.jpg

26409470409_23f6510a9c_k.jpg

26409455199_d713695b9a_k.jpg

Last edited:

Mooksoup

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I saw these Japanese 3DO magazine covers being shared around twitter a while ago. The design and colour of the them is so weird a appealing.. love them.

18557505_101561098811rjsyl.jpg

18581565_101561098811scsl9.jpg

18582189_101561098811j2szv.jpg

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a bunch of early to mid and some late 90's US, UK and Australian gaming magazines in storage somewhere. I should get them out and scan them before they disintegrate and are lost to time forever.

I bought Retro Gamer magazine since issue #1 but stopped after the infamous Metal Slug 3 incident. I should go check out that Super Play pack-in with RG that is out right now though.

MaskedNdi

Oct 25, 2017
I have two large boxes full of old gaming magazines, mostly from the 90s. Nintendo Power makes up the bulk of my collection, but I also have a huge stack of EGM and scattered issues of magazines like Ultra Game Players and PlayStation Magazine. They're a wonderful time capsule. Sometimes I specifically look for old issues to see what people were saying about games at the time they were released. Here are a few potentially interesting scans!

From the December 1997 issue of PlayStation Magazine:
double_standard.jpg

From Nintendo Power 196:
Mario_Scan_705x1024.jpg

From Nintendo Power 6:
First_Nintendo_Power_Awards.jpg

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've read RG on and off for 11 years. What's this about?
Issue 62 did one of their 'The Definitive' series articles for the Metal Slug franchise. It was pretty awful with the highlight being the writer filling the Metal Slug 3 section full of personal ranting about how he thought the game sucked and was the worst in the series.

The neo-geo.com forums caught wind of this and a big public shit-talking went down between Neo Geo enthusiasts versus the article's writer Stuart Campbell.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...azine-s-terrible-Metal-Slug-feature-reviewed!

The article was utter shit but at least it resulted in this hilarity. And a video of a man dancing naked in front of his massive Neo Geo AES collection to the Pet Shop Boys 'Where The Streets Have No Name'.

In 2015 Retro Gamer did a new Metal Slug series overview article and it was much better. Stuart Campbell was not involved.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Issue 62 did one of their 'The Definitive' series articles for the Metal Slug franchise. It was pretty awful with the highlight being the writer filling the Metal Slug 3 section full of personal ranting about how he thought the game sucked and was the worst in the series.

The neo-geo.com forums caught wind of this and a big public shit-talking went down between Neo Geo enthusiasts versus the article's writer Stuart Campbell.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...azine-s-terrible-Metal-Slug-feature-reviewed!

The article was utter shit but at least it resulted in this hilarity. And a video of a man dancing naked in front of his massive Neo Geo AES collection to the Pet Shop Boys 'Where The Streets Have No Name'.

In 2015 Retro Gamer did a new Metal Slug series overview article and it was much better. Stuart Campbell was not involved.
Ah, I vaguely remember this. Stu Campbell is well known for being pretty antagonistic and quite the character, so I can't say his aggressive response surprises me at all. I don't know enough about the series to side with one view over the other so I'm not sure who has valid points and who doesn't, but I hope you've dipped into RG since as it's a great magazine and I don't think Stu has been a regular contributor in years.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ah, I vaguely remember this. Stu Campbell is well known for being pretty antagonistic and quite the character, so I can't say his aggressive response surprises me at all. I don't know enough about the series to side with one view over the other so I'm not sure who has valid points and who doesn't, but I hope you've dipped into RG since as it's a great magazine and I don't think Stu has been a regular contributor in years.
Will keep an eye out for the PC Engine/Super Play double pack at the newsagents this week.

Oct 30, 2017
This was the first video game magazine I ever bought. I remember the specific issue so clearly because I spent the day making sure my grandad didn't see the word 'ass' on the cover.
s-l225.jpg

(Not my photo, and the best quality I can find sadly)

I stuck with NOM until the end. It rebranded eventually, with a new writing team and a new 'mature' look. It was a far cry from the juvenile silliness of Tim Street, Dean Scott and Mike Jackson (not that one), and I stopped buying it.

I wonder what the NOM lot went on to do.

Last edited:

CptPusheen

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does Retro Gamer count? Does digital form of magazine count? Because I appreciate my complete collection of 171 issues of RG

RDJnRy5.jpg

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
This was my first ever video game magazine issue bought by my mum in 1991. I didn't even have a console back then. Sure did shortly after (Sega Master System lol)

latest

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
12.jpg

Loved this mag, it's an Aussie one and while it was in print I got it every month.

akaxiri

Oct 31, 2017
first post here!

never played the game before but i always found these ads from Sengoku Turb really haunting

Printed ad (1998)
Dreamcast Magazine (JP) #5

page98-930px-DCM_JP_19981218_1998-05.pdf.jpg

Printed ad (1998)
Dreamcast Magazine (JP) #6

page4-962px-DCM_JP_19981225_1998-06.pdf.jpg

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Videogames and Computer Entertainment (VG&CE) was really great. Covered both game consoles and computer games, mainly PC. It was ahead of it's time with a normally a sober and mature tone both in content and design. After some market research, they split the coverage of console games and computer games in two magazines, and changed to look and feel closer to Gamepro and EGM, and suffered heavily because of this.

Sabreman

Oct 30, 2017
1ty3sV7.jpg

This is the magazine that stole my pocket money each month. Absolutely loved reading it.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
Does Retro Gamer count? Does digital form of magazine count? Because I appreciate my complete collection of 171 issues of RG

RDJnRy5.jp

having Retro Gamer digitally seems kinda wrong but
i'd give anything to be able to buy those dvds with the issues on to save me having to dig them out of the cupboard every now and then

Nov 8, 2017
Your scans are a bit large lol.

Anyway, late 80s/early 90s era UK magazines were fantastic.
I still have the complete set of Super Play, all of Davies era CVG, Maximum, a lot of Official Sega Saturn Magazine, Mean Machine Sega, N64 mag & NGC mag.
And a few odds and ends - the tips mags like Super Gamer and so forth - I have one with complete mappings of the Sonic 3 levels which was priceless for those hard-to-find super rings, and I also keep the uber-goofy late issues of TOTAL!, when they had guys like Danny Wallace there. And issue one of the ill fated Mean Machines Playstation.

Retrogamer will be a future one I will keep for the fantastic features and so forth.

Basically I just keep stuff I would want to reread at some point. Even edge isn't worth rereading apart from the olders ones with the biffo columns really.

As for my favourites:

AehL9.png

Official Sega Saturn Magazine - Best "official" mag ever. Really well written, enthisastic coverage . Once had disc one of Panzer Dragoon Saga free with one of the issues.

t3DMg.png

Super Play - This got me into JRPGS. I'd played a few on the NES, but SP had some fantastic import coverage on the genre, so really got me into importing games from other regions too. Didn't even have a clue how to do it before Super Play.

m3w50.jpg

Maximum - This didn't run long (Was a "next-gen" focused magazine that came out at the beginning of the 32bit era). The layout was incredible, whoever did the graphic design for it was great.

SNXc9.png

8yMu6JV.jpg

CVG - Before Paul Davies was editor, CVG was an average magazine. After Paul Davies was editior, CVG was an awful magazine. But WHILE Paul Davies was editor, CVG was the best video games magazine there has every been. He assemebled his own team, and totally changed the look of the magazine. It had fantastic writing, a pull out section with coverage on arcade games (printed on special paper that was designed to give a cheap "fanzine" look but was more expensive then the main magazine!), and brought in an out of 5 system, arguing that out of 100 was pointless.

You can thank Richard Leadbetter of Digital Foundry for that, I believe.

Good thread, I love looking at old game magazines.

I just have to add to those that loved the Official UK Saturn magazine. Even when the system was struggling for new releases it was still a good read as they filled the gap be going super in depth on the releases they had left to cover and by also including good import and arcade coverage as well. If anything they covered arcade goings on better then the multi format mags I read at the time.

tumblr_ottvviJqaK1rkrwaco1_500.jpg

This issue was especially appreciated as it got me to play Panzer Dragoon Saga at a time when RPGs were not a genre I paid much attention to and also it meant I actually rushed out to buy the thing long before it started to be in short supply and expensive.

Hey guys, I campaign for an open world Panzer Dragoon RPG.

You should have a look and support if you like the idea!

https://twitter.com/PanzDragWorld + http://PanzerDragoon.World

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone from The Netherlands or Belgium will remember Power Unlimited. The mag is still around today, and later the staff started a tv show too. I only read it in the 90's though, as it was one of the only mags in Dutch that provided reviews for all platforms. Depending on who reviewed a game you were interested in, you'd get trash (Boris) or quality (Jan). Guys like Boris were jokers who did full offtopic reviews from time to time, while others really put some effort in. I kept reading because even though the quality was iffy, you did have personalities there. I remember the stacked dec. 98 issue with Zelda, Metal Gear and all the heavy hitters from then. I wonder if there are people who still read it? Last I checked, some mainstays are still there like JJ or Jurjen.

I don't read it anymore, but I was there since issue 1 in 1993. I never subbed but bought them every month until 1998 or so. From there I bought them incidentally. It was a popular mag, I just went to high school at the time and lots of classmates usually discussed them.

The quality and ratings of the first few years was awful from an objective pov, but I loved the magazine regardless. I just didn't take their opinions seriously. They were in it for the fun, they didn't take themselves all that seriously either. Quality wise they got better, but its obviously geared towards teens. I simply outgrew them.

I met Jurjen a few times, which was an enormous Nintendo fanboy working for Club Nintendo and translated Lufia etc as he had a mutual friend. And then he'll ask me what upcoming system I would be interested in (Xbox or GC). I'd say I was never much of a Nintendo guy and probably sticked with Ps2 which he understood. Sometimes bought some review copies from him for a bargain. Very cool guy IRL.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
having Retro Gamer digitally seems kinda wrong but
i'd give anything to be able to buy those dvds with the issues on to save me having to dig them out of the cupboard every now and then
I bet you're kicking yourself when I tell you that a while age you could buy the whole digital RetroGamer back catalogue for something like €60 or so on their app.

I have a physical as well as digital subscription btw and bought the back catalogue as well.

Oh and count me as one of the people who bought Power Unlimited for several years as well since we didn't have anything better in Dutch.
It was quite bad. But at least not as Godawful as that POS magazine by the douchebag Frank Molnar from a couple of years back.
That was literally the worst magazine that I have ever read. Damn.
Shouldn't come as a surprise after seeing douchey mc.fuck's tv-shows though. :P

Draccus

Oct 27, 2017
England
Back in the 90's, CVG, and Gamesmaster were the absolute best.

I used to love getting the little cheat book with Gamesmaster and flicking through it to see what I could unlock. The actual magazines were packed with content too.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I met Jurjen a few times, which was an enormous Nintendo fanboy working for Club Nintendo and translated Lufia etc as he had a mutual friend. And then he'll ask me what upcoming system I would be interested in (Xbox or GC). I'd say I was never much of a Nintendo guy and probably sticked with Ps2 which he understood. Sometimes bought some review copies from him for a bargain. Very cool guy IRL.

Good to hear, always liked reading his articles. iirc he was one of the better writers. I kept reading PU til the early 00's, had a sub for a few years in the late 90's. I also loved the mag despite the shaky quality of the reviews sometimes, it was a cherished part of my childhood/teen years.

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The cheat books of this era were glorious. Chunky full near novel sized with walkthroughs of multiple games included.

I remember PlayStation MAX which had a mascot dog whose shits would be hidden across the magazine as a minigame lol.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
I bet you're kicking yourself when I tell you that a while age you could buy the whole digital RetroGamer back catalogue for something like €60 or so on their app.

I have a physical as well as digital subscription btw and bought the back catalogue as well.

Oh and count me as one of the people who bought Power Unlimited for several years as well since we didn't have anything better in Dutch.
It was quite bad. But at least not as Godawful as that POS magazine by the douchebag Frank Molnar from a couple of years back.
That was literally the worst magazine that I have ever read. Damn.
Shouldn't come as a surprise after seeing douchey mc.fuck's tv-shows though. :P

are they locked into the app with DRM or is it possible to download DRM free copies of the magazine in a PDF because that's esentially what the DVDs are but they only pop up so often

woodcutter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nj
The 90's egm holiday mega mags were amazing. That was my favorite mag back then. I had em all, my parents threw em out when i deserted them 15 years ago. now all we got is game informer.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
are they locked into the app with DRM or is it possible to download DRM free copies of the magazine in a PDF because that's esentially what the DVDs are but they only pop up so often
They are locked into the app like all the other issues.

To be honest, the older magazines are pretty poor scans anyway.
I wouldn't be surprised if they are just the DVD versions uploaded to the app as I bought the DVDs many years ago and those were very low resolution.
And looking at the old ones on the app, there's a metric ton of artifacting going on in those pages.
A real shame as the quality of preservation of magazines like this is something that's really close to my heart.

OP
OP
Velasco

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Games Master Issue 90 January 2000

38358700371_db052daacc_k.jpg

24487332988_4dcb01b58a_k.jpg

NSFW Gauntlet Legends, Neo Geo Pocket Color ads

38327880192_18e2439c72_k.jpg

38358884131_e4186b5ac4_k.jpg

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Being from the UK and growing up in the late 80's early 90's there was only 2 mags i cared about.....

MeanMachines-Magazine-Issue02-Cover.jpg
CVG-Magazine-Issue104-Cover.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
ACE didn't last long but it felt like the first games magazine (at least one of the first) that was written by adults for adults before Edge came along.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is usually a three month delay between a new issue of Retro Gamer going on sale in the UK and then appearing on Australian newsagents shelves.

Scored a copy of the RG+Super Play combo today.

MathUser

Nov 25, 2017
I actually bought a couple EGM's and enjoyed reading through them some time ago. I used to read them when I was a teenager and always found them full of info.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I must have owned this issue since I had a subscription for years, but I dont remember this cover. I wonder if I still have it.

nintendo-power-megaman-x-game-cover-art.jpeg

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone remember when GameFan re-launched and released like three issues, including a big collaboration with Destructoid? I know it probably failed because there's no audience, but does anyone have any inside info on what happened to the last iteration of Halverson's dream? Anyone know what he's even up to these days?

Can't help myself. He's obviously a horrible businessman and disreputable as all hell, but I miss his presence in the scene.

mrchad

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone remember when GameFan re-launched and released like three issues, including a big collaboration with Destructoid? I know it probably failed because there's no audience, but does anyone have any inside info on what happened to the last iteration of Halverson's dream? Anyone know what he's even up to these days?

Can't help myself. He's obviously a horrible businessman and disreputable as all hell, but I miss his presence in the scene.

I always enjoyed the production quality of Gamefan. Their screenshots were well above what others produced. Their reviews were very generous, however.

How is Halverson disreputable? Genuinely curious, as I haven't followed him since the Play magazine days.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Man I miss Ellis and the gang. Sure the team was Nintendo based, but they were never as biased and circlejerky as ONM, when Nintendo made mistakes they blasted them hard. I kinda wish we had N-Gamer during the Wii U years, it would have been a sight to behold.

Oct 30, 2017
I always enjoyed the production quality of Gamefan. Their screenshots were well above what others produced. Their reviews were very generous, however.

How is Halverson disreputable? Genuinely curious, as I haven't followed him since the Play magazine days.
Not paying staff, harassing staff, etc. There are some really lengthy threads with first-hand accounts of working at GameFan on a couple other forums.

Deleted member 36902

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
Super Play was a pitch-perfect magazine...my enduring love of Nintendo probably stems from that as much as anything else. The recent 'reunion' issue that came with Retro Gamer was a treat, too.

Digitiser was required daily reading. I'd have to pretzel myself to make it readable with my indoor TV aerial, but it was worth it.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was the first video game magazine I ever bought. I remember the specific issue so clearly because I spent the day making sure my grandad didn't see the word 'ass' on the cover.
s-l225.jpg

(Not my photo, and the best quality I can find sadly)

I stuck with NOM until the end. It rebranded eventually, with a new writing team and a new 'mature' look. It was a far cry from the juvenile silliness of Tim Street, Dean Scott and Mike Jackson (not that one), and I stopped buying it.

I wonder what the NOM lot went on to do.
I finished up the fully restorated digital version of the very first issue (nr.54) a couple of weeks ago.
If you want to read it again, you can find it here: http://www.outofprintarchive.com/catalogue/nintendoofficialmagazine/NOM054.html
Either to read a couple of selected articles directly on the site or download the full magazine in all it's glory and looking brand new like it just hit the newsstands yesterday. ;)