• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
351Elec gets my vote. It's the only one still being supported too as it just got an update yesterday.
I also prefer 351ELEC, but I'd like to clarify one thing. Both ArkOS and Retro Arena are also still in active development for the 351V as well. One of them just got an update on the same day as the latest 351ELEC build the other day, actually.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhhhhh yes, that's another game I was getting a ton of slowdown and wondering why my device was struggling.
Protip: Actual hardware/emulation failing to run a game at its intended full speed will usually be accompanied with choppy audio as it drops frames. That's an easy way to differentiate it from normal slowdown that was present in the game on original hardware.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone that's interested in a more powerful 'portable' device. I got a Poco X3 pro 8gb ram/256 gb from aliexpress and a game sir X2 2021 USB c and I am marvelled at both. Poco can play basically any game I throw at it. And the gamepad surprised me immensely. It's super hight quality. You can even charge the phone while playing!

20210530-150009.jpg

Been playing viewtiful joe for a while. This telescopic gamepad really impressed me.

I will dump twin snakes and try later.
Is anyone aware of any small tablets that might work with the X2? I just got mine yesterday and it seems great so far. The only issue being that most phones seem to be around 20:9 these days. I figured I would just get a bigger phone eventually, but surprisingly my Pixel 5 isn't significantly smaller than most larger phones (by width anyway)

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope I see some movement on my order from retrocool. Never used them before, placed the order on Thursday so I would hope I'd see something today.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
Then, as a newbie that wants reasonable power, build quality and the lesser the hassle the better, Anbernic or GPD XD?

GPD XD+ is able to run Dreamcast, DS, and PSP much better than the Anbernic RG351 devices with the RK3326 chipset. The problem with Android devices is they are not designed for the specific task of gameplay so you need to setup your emulators, launcher, frontends yourself which might be more trouble than its worth.

With any of the Anbernic devices, or any of the RK3326 devices for that matter, you install a firmware easily and just put your game roms in the respective folders. Downloading metadata such as images and small videos for the emulationstation frontend is relatively straightforward. It just works really. The EmuELEC firmware is very beginner friendly with everything setup for you and if you want to tweak and do advanced stuff it's still available for you.

I highly recommend any of the Anbernic devices. Most people are very happy with the build quality and they have good developer support. You won't get the best Dreamcast, PSP, or DS emulation compared to the XD but it's a better experience overall for the systems it does emulate imo.

Retro Game Corp is a fantastic channel that covers these devices, here's a good video with a breakdown of some of the RK3326 devices:

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
GPD XD+ is able to run Dreamcast, DS, and PSP much better than the Anbernic RG351 devices with the RK3326 chipset. The problem with Android devices is they are not designed for the specific task of gameplay so you need to setup your emulators, launcher, frontends yourself which might be more trouble than its worth.

With any of the Anbernic devices, or any of the RK3326 devices for that matter, you install a firmware easily and just put your game roms in the respective folders. Downloading metadata such as images and small videos for the emulationstation frontend is relatively straightforward. It just works really. The EmuELEC firmware is very beginner friendly with everything setup for you and if you want to tweak and do advanced stuff it's still available for you.

I highly recommend any of the Anbernic devices. Most people are very happy with the build quality and they have good developer support. You won't get the best Dreamcast, PSP, or DS emulation compared to the XD but it's a better experience overall for the systems it does emulate imo.

Retro Game Corp is a fantastic channel that covers these devices, here's a good video with a breakdown of some of the RK3326 devices:

Many thanks, kind poster!

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
Many thanks, kind poster!

Anytime! I have a GPD XD but I find myself picking up my RG351M mostly just because it's much less fuss to pick up and play a game. I would kill for a Anbernc clamshell with a large 4:3 screen.

I forgot to mention N64 is pretty hit and miss on the Anbernic RG351 devices just in case that was a console you desired to play. Sadly Android typically has more recent builds of emulators so it's not always about power but the quality of emulators on these devices. Someone might correct me but I think there are certain firmwares running Android 10 or 11 on the Odroid Go so it may make its way to the Anbernic 351 handhelds so we may get better performance for DC, N64, and PSP in the future.

Metal Gear?!

Jun 26, 2020
Is anyone aware of any small tablets that might work with the X2? I just got mine yesterday and it seems great so far. The only issue being that most phones seem to be around 20:9 these days. I figured I would just get a bigger phone eventually, but surprisingly my Pixel 5 isn't significantly smaller than most larger phones (by width anyway)
The problem with trying to use a tablet with the GameSir X2 2021 d-pad model is that it says it stretches a maximum of 173mm wide, and the only 16:10 android tablets that would be not-too-wide for that would be 7" and under. However there are, as far as I can tell, no 7" android tablets with USB-C connectors. So you're stuck with phones.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with trying to use a tablet with the GameSir X2 2021 d-pad model is that it says it stretches a maximum of 173mm wide, and the only 16:10 android tablets that would be not-too-wide for that would be 7" and under. However there are, as far as I can tell, no 7" android tablets with USB-C connectors. So you're stuck with phones.
Yeah, I was worried about that. Big problem I'm noticing is that it seems like just about every tablet has massive chins which make them much too large. The only devices that seem to be better are the folding phones. Good thing they're cheap...

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I went a little deeper in my quest to make my retro games look as close to perfect (for my preferences) as I could on my RG351V, and I thought I'd share the fruits of my labor.

You can download my pre-configured shader presets and overlay here.

If you want a near-perfect, high-end CRT look with very light scanlines and an only slightly softened image with no pixel shimmering, then do this:
  • Set your aspect ratio to 4:3 and turn off integer scaling.
  • Apply the gamma-smooth shader preset from the ZIP file.
    • This applies a two-pass shader step.
    • The first uses the image-adjustment shader to correct the target gamma to 2.4 while leaving the monitor gamma at 2.2 This reinstates the gamma curve that these retro games (consoles and arcades) were all made for, which makes a big difference on this device. Without this step colors are pretty inaccurate and washed out compared to how the games looked on original hardware + a CRT.
    • The second pass is just the quilez interpolation shader, which is a low-overhead shader that eliminates all pixel wobble/shimmer while very slightly softening the image (a little more than sharp-bilinear-2x-prescale).
  • Set the overlay that I included in the ZIP and make sure to switch off the "Disable when controller is connected" toggle that is on by default in 351ELEC.
    • You can leave this at the default 0.15 opacity (which is what I've done), or bump it up slightly for more pronounced scanlines. I wouldn't recommend going over 0.25 as it will overly darken the image IMO.
And then I also included my GB/GBC/GBA shader presets for good measure in the ZIP file. Those are labeled for which system they're meant for, so simply apply them for those systems and save as the Content Directory Preset afterward to make them stick. They are just the lcd3x shader customized slightly to match Retro Game Corps' recommended parameter changes. Feel free to use these with or without integer scaling for GB/GBC, whereas for GBA you'd want to leave integer scaling off on the RG351V.

If anyone ends up using this, let me know what you think. I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to perfecting the display of retro games via emulation devices, and to my taste this looks damn near perfect. I can finally stop tinkering now... maybe.

UPDATE: I added another shader preset to the ZIP file called gamma-sharp. This is the same as gamma-smooth but sharper, so give that one a shot if you find gamma-smooth to be a touch too soft for your liking. Combine this with the scanline overlay at 0.20 opacity for my recommended best look.
Thought I would finally give this a shot. I downloaded your presets but have no idea where to put them or what to do with them. There's no "shaders" folder on either of the memory cards inserted into the 351V and making one that contains your preset files doesn't do anything either. There's a ton of other shaders and overlays to choose from within 351Elec and Retropi, so I'm missing something here that must be obvious to everyone else. Thanks for the effort regardless though.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how I went from not even looking at these, to ordering one, to watching YouTube vids over and over between ArkOK and Elec351, shaders, ROM's, etc. The thirst is real.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
It's crazy how I went from not even looking at these, to ordering one, to watching YouTube vids over and over between ArkOK and Elec351, shaders, ROM's, etc. The thirst is real.
Sounds a lot like how it happened for me just a few months back. Knew about them, watched the thread very rarely and then for whatever reason, finally paid attention when the RG351V came out. I became insanely absorbed into all things about it and watched a lot of RetroGameCorps videos, joined various reddit subs and of course started chatting in here. Also turned a few friends onto these devices, and they all love them. It's a great time to get into them.

Randroid

Oct 28, 2017
Tried installing 351ELEC as custom firmware but now my RG351V just boots into a black screen and stays stuck there. Not sure what I did wrong...

Edit: Never mind, had the wrong image (for the P...). It worked and the slowdown issues I experienced on the stock firmware seem to be gone!

Last edited:

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Got my tracking # from keepretro! For the US, any ideas on how long it'll take to hit my doorstep in the US?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, I figured as much.

Decided I'm going with 351Elec for the OS. First game I'm playing is Super Metroid, as I've never beaten it.

Something to keep in mind is there's also a MSU1 version of Super Metroid too. Totally get that if you want to play it in its original form, but just something to consider if it wasn't on your radar.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
So I got my RP2 (in Indigo) and it's been quite the journey but with a happy conclusion.

I love the unit itself, it looks awesome and is built very nicely. The buttons are a tad stiffer than I'd like, but I suspect that will involve as it's broken in a little more.

Software-wise, things were initially a little painful and it has taken some time to get it up and running. Getting Android updated to 8.1 was a bit of a pain though it didn't take too long in the end. Android as a general interface is a blessing and a curse for this thing...it gives it stunning variety in terms of what can be installed but it's obvious that Android is not fully optimised for a controller and I have found myself switching between gamepad and mouse modes far too often. I also found that many of the pre-installed apps are not great. As to your point, input lag for Snes games using the pre-installed Snes core was HORRENDOUS. I'm not super sensitive to input lag most of the time and can tolerate a little bit, but it was glaringly obvious that the lag was through the roof when playing Super Mario World.

However, a tip-off on reddit recommended installing Snes9x Ex from here and it's fantastic and a huge improvement. There's still a little lag, but it's no more or less than I've seen on other handheld consoles.

I'm using Mupen for N64, My Boy! for GBA, Drastic for DS and the standard gambette core for GBC and all are working really well. Was playing Pokemon White for the first time in ages earlier and having a blast. Played a bit of Ocarina of Time too and it had occasional stutters but was otherwise rock solid.

The final piece of the puzzle was getting Dig set up. It's an excellent gaming front end and I now have all my games in there, with box art and the games are now configured to directly open with their associated emulators. It's painless and can all be done in gamepad mode. Lots of cool themes are available for it too.

Been doing a lot of tinkering as I said, and reading up on customisation tips on reddit, but now it's all setup, I'm absolutely loving it! Gonna experiment with some PSX games at some point, when I find where my game rips are currently located. Might also try switching to the LineageOS build for RP2 as well, which I've heard cuts a lot of overhead.
Great write up, and very close to my own experience.
On this thread I kept banging on about getting the older version of Snes9x from that link as it does help. And I am running pretty much the same set up (My Boy, Drastic and only a few systems in Retroarch like GBC). I also found PS1 games to be a great sweet spot for the machine, so you are in for some fun once you find your rips.

The RP2 is a weird machine, it takes a lot of work to get up and running and android really is a big negative and positive at the same time.

I haven't used my RP2 in ages so I'm fairly out of the loop. I was wondering do you think it was worth setting up 8.1?
I assume you lost all your set ups and settings? Just as I have a good setup going but interested about getting back in tinkering if it helps.

Oct 27, 2017
Great write up, and very close to my own experience.
On this thread I kept banging on about getting the older version of Snes9x from that link as it does help. And I am running pretty much the same set up (My Boy, Drastic and only a few systems in Retroarch like GBC). I also found PS1 games to be a great sweet spot for the machine, so you are in for some fun once you find your rips.

The RP2 is a weird machine, it takes a lot of work to get up and running and android really is a big negative and positive at the same time.

I haven't used my RP2 in ages so I'm fairly out of the loop. I was wondering do you think it was worth setting up 8.1?
I assume you lost all your set ups and settings? Just as I have a good setup going but interested about getting back in tinkering if it helps.
Yeah, its certainly an oddity in some ways, though I do appreciate and understand the approach Retroid went with.

I was pleasantly surprised with the DS emulation though it's hit and miss by nature of the machine itself. Emulation quality is fine, but while some games like Pokemon HeartGold/White are manageable by using a button to swap between screens, some like Phantom Hourglass are pretty much unplayable without a touchscreen. I really hope they build a touchscreen into the Pocket 3, it would be a massive boost for an Android device like this and would make the user experience exponentially better.

In terms of upgrading to 8.1, it was the first thing I did when buying this device so I can't comment on how much gets lost in the transition, though I know guides out there explain how to back things up.

Metal Gear?!

Jun 26, 2020
I remember reading something about how the DS Zelda games (or only the first one?) are playable with the romhacks that change the controls to physical controls, but yeah, the amount of DS games playable on a single screen, touch or no touch, is going to be pretty small. Even Contra 4 requires dual screens.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
I see that Amazon has RG351Vs listed. Are these good units typically, or is it better buying from other sources? Sorry if this has been answered before.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I see that Amazon has RG351Vs listed. Are these good units typically, or is it better buying from other sources? Sorry if this has been answered before.

I bought mine on Amazon when they first came out because it was the first place to take orders. The name said it was Petfour RG351V, whatever that means. It took longer than it should have to leave China but they were responsive to my emails and it has worked great since arriving. Not sure about all of the sellers but that one worked out for me.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
If it is shipping from China I see no point in not ordering it from the source. Anbernic has official stores on Aliexpress and other places.
I bought my rg280m from their store on Aliexpress and after ~3 months it stopped working. It was way past refund period but we came to an agreement of sending me a rg350m at half price. I'm sure I could have asked for a rg351v but I wanted a landscape handheld.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I got mine from Amazon for $120 but it arrived within 2 days. Paid a slight premium but worth it not to wait weeks. Seemed perfectly fine but there are a lot of third party sellers on there.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, its certainly an oddity in some ways, though I do appreciate and understand the approach Retroid went with.

I was pleasantly surprised with the DS emulation though it's hit and miss by nature of the machine itself. Emulation quality is fine, but while some games like Pokemon HeartGold/White are manageable by using a button to swap between screens, some like Phantom Hourglass are pretty much unplayable without a touchscreen. I really hope they build a touchscreen into the Pocket 3, it would be a massive boost for an Android device like this and would make the user experience exponentially better.

In terms of upgrading to 8.1, it was the first thing I did when buying this device so I can't comment on how much gets lost in the transition, though I know guides out there explain how to back things up.
Thanks for the reply.
It really is an interesting machine. Feels good but takes such a big investment of time to make it feel good, at least for me.

Yeah DS was surprisingly good but not the best for certain games. The most annoying thing was how Drastics back button stops working in menus sometimes!
I actually found my phone (which is a few years old now) did a much better job with being able to turn on high quality 3d rendering plus the touch screen helps so much for simple games.

No worries about 8.1. Yeah, I have seen a few guides but am trying to stop myself from jumping back in and getting sucked into a tinkering episode that will go on for awhile until I get it just right :)

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
+1 for another satisfied customer of the RG351V via Amazon. I also paid a bit more than from AliExpress but I'd already done that once and it took forever. Fast shipping from Prime and easy returns was worth the difference. Just be sure to check seller feedback although I haven't heard of any scams.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
So I'm super dumb when it comes to this stuff (I quite literally bought my RG351V because it came with so many games already installed) but does anyone know if it's possible to set up my own folders for things?

I went through all the games that came on the card and put them in my Favourites tab, but that obviously makes it a huge mess of different games and platforms. I'd love to be able to delineate my favourites per platform.

Is that easy to do?

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Ugh... was playing a game and decided to charge the unit while playing.

Used a different charge cable that would give me more length and the screen went black, and the Power On light has remained on.

It isn't doing anything.

Can't restart it or anything.

Think it's suddenly bricked.

EDITED TO ADD: thankfully managed to fix it. Very scary for a moment there!

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
This thread had been really testing me for quite awhile, but one thing that kept coming back as a sticking point was PSP... but then I remembered that last year I upgraded from an LG G7 (Snapdragon 845), so I went the DIY handheld approach with a MOGA controller and clip. Definitely not as sleek, or as portable, but since I was never going to leave the house with it anyways it works for me.

Getting everything up to some easier GCN/Wii games running on it has been great. Setting up retroachievements was a must on retroarch. Fell in love with them when I setup my raspberry pi arcade and now being able to play longer RPGs in a more comfortable fashion with them is a game changer for me. Honestly, they are what push me beyond setting up yet another emulation box, and actually sitting down and playing my old library again lol

Whipwhopper

Oct 7, 2020
Then, as a newbie that wants reasonable power, build quality and the lesser the hassle the better, Anbernic or GPD XD?
It's probably more tinkering cause of android, but I love the gpd xd+. Super solid emulation up to Dreamcast and DS, most psp works great, and with enough messing around I can get some GameCube to work (pretty much full speed double dash and melee)

it also has android games and ports so I'm able to play stuff like shovel knight, dead cells, stardew valley, and even cuphead

Sep 29, 2020
Thanks to this thread I ordered a RG280V, mostly because of the awesome small form factor.
After that I'll wait for a more powerful Anbernic 4:3 horizontally held handheld (had a retroflag GPI and found that I'm not a fan of the big DMG form factor even though I loved my OG gameboy back in the 90s).

Are these handhelds announced a while before release or do they pretty much just show up?

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
I grabbed an R351p and have been messing around with it. I got a new 128GB card and put on the new 351ELEC. I didn't get the wifi dongle. Is it worth it to grab a cheap one? I don't have DS emulation working without it but it sounds like it's not that great anyway. Any suggestions?

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed an R351p and have been messing around with it. I got a new 128GB card and put on the new 351ELEC. I didn't get the wifi dongle. Is it worth it to grab a cheap one? I don't have DS emulation working without it but it sounds like it's not that great anyway. Any suggestions?

are you any good with soldering? from this vid it looks pretty simple to install a wifi chip
www.youtube.com

RG351P - Howto install an internal WiFi module guide (DIY)

Hello guys, it's MashTec here...today i want to show you how to install an internal WiFi module to your RG351P and so, kinda close the gap to a RG351M, in te...

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
are you any good with soldering? from this vid it looks pretty simple to install a wifi chip
www.youtube.com

RG351P - Howto install an internal WiFi module guide (DIY)

Hello guys, it's MashTec here...today i want to show you how to install an internal WiFi module to your RG351P and so, kinda close the gap to a RG351M, in te...
I saw that video. I might be able to do it but I haven't soldered in years and I'd probably screw it up. I see the wifi dongles going for cheap so I might just buy one of those instead of risking a bad solder.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I saw that video. I might be able to do it but I haven't soldered in years and I'd probably screw it up. I see the wifi dongles going for cheap so I might just buy one of those instead of risking a bad solder.
Depends how often you'll use the wifi. For me, I'd do the dongle because I don't do the achievements and rarely need to go online.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Looking to dive in on one of these.

Im looking at the 351v due to the screen. Does it get uncomfortable to hold after awhile?

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Looking to dive in on one of these.

Im looking at the 351v due to the screen. Does it get uncomfortable to hold after awhile?

I have fat sausage fingers, and I find it fairly comfortable to hold. Just need to find the right position. Some people prefer the horizontal form factor for comfort, but I think the V is substantial enough so my hands have something meaty to grab.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I have fat sausage fingers, and I find it fairly comfortable to hold. Just need to find the right position. Some people prefer the horizontal form factor for comfort, but I think the V is substantial enough so my hands have something meaty to grab.

I have tiny baby hands so I think I should be ok. I can't pass up that amazing screen. It looks gorgeous!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo direct has me wanting to play my original advance wars. Also made me want to play rage racer. So…

- I have a vita and a n3DS (possibly with a busted battery but working on that - let's assume I fix it). Also have a PlayStation classic

- the 351p/351v look super cute

what's the simplest route to play let's say GBA games and PSOne games? Grab one of these and be done with it, or mod my 3DS for GBA, and vita for psone?