• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
Retro Studios, one of the greats, have posted on their twitter that it's the studio's 20th anniversary today!

Hopefully you'll all join me in celebrating it with a nice big Texan BBQ

Here's to whatever they are working on, after Tropical Freeze I can't wait for what's next.

Deleted member 46641

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Can't wait for Star Fox: Grand Prix! Retro does fur tech well so I can't wait to see how fluffy Fox is and how horny on main Wolf is this time.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Happy anniversary to them, one of those studios that haven't made a single bad game so far.
Can't wait for Star Fox: Grand Prix! Retro does fur tech well so I can't wait to see how fluffy Fox is and how horny on main Wolf is this time.
Can't wait for it to not be Star Fox Grand Prix and another game.

Emobacca

Nov 2, 2017
25% of that time they've been in hiding doing who knows what

One of my favorite game studios ever. Just wish they'd show their face already

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
Congrats to those at Retro. What a studio!

Now if only they would reveal what it is they've been doing these last few years... Must have something magical up their sleeve.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
And almost 5 years ago was their last game. Time to announce the glorious return of 3D Donkey Kong.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
And still no new game in sight.

scrat-freak-out.gif

Deleted member 4372

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Technology wizards. zakatana you can't exist as a video game company for the past five years just sitting on your ass eating food bowls and resting on your laurels!

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats I guess. The only time I ever hear of this studio is when they tweet something, sad.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
20 years of crazy barbecue (and some games from time to time)... I wish that they are good and their new project is as good as the old ones!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For real I really do miss Retro. I hope they'll get to a stage to where they can pump games out more often. They're too talented!

I wished they could have a more social media presence and be allowed to talk to the fans, so we can get more faces to the company.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on hitting your 20th anniversary Retro!

Hope they enjoyed their BBQ, seemed like one of the perks of living in Texas to make up for the maddening heat last time I visited. (I now understand the decision to do an artic theme for Tropical Freeze)

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's to Startropics 3.

They've taken so long to announce their game that I'm thinking whenever it is that they show it the timeframe between that and launch date will be very very short. As in E3 2019 unveil, holiday 2019 launch short.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing to think we've spent 17-18 of those years wondering what Retro is working on.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Make another big epic game. It doesn't even have to be Metroid.

Retro, please.

Goddammit...its going to be a Star Fox racing game, isn't it?

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Make another big epic game. It doesn't even have to be Metroid.

Retro, please.

Goddammit...its going to be a Star Fox racing game, isn't it?
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is the most epic and beautiful 2D platformer ever.
And Star Fox Racing is supposed to be a Star Fox game, it plays the same, but you run against opponents. You shoot things in order to move faster, etc. It's going to be an epic space opera with the race component being the gameplay twist.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
They've done great work but I wish they would have put out more then 5 games (plus helping with a couple ports + Mario Kart 7) in that time frame.

Deleted member 24540

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They basically made one masterpiece and four 9's. Incredible record, but one wonders what they are up to now

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt they've been working on a single game consecutively for five years.

Based on everything we've heard, I think the more likely scenario was that Retro was working on an original project after TF was finished that wasn't really going anywhere, so they canned it sometime in 2015/2016 and, per Miyamoto's suggestion, began working on Star Fox GP and that's been their project since.

Similar thing happened with Metroid Prime back in the day, Retro was working on all these projects like Raven Blade that weren't going anywhere, so they just canned them all and just focused on making Prime.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Really can't wait to see what they've been up to. E3 2019 seems like the time for them to show up.

Though I probably said the same thing about E3 2018.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
If grand prix is similar to what some of us were predicting, and liam covered a little more on his leak, i cant wait for the game.

Oct 28, 2017
I would like to play a new Retro game but still think they are not making a Switch game.

Star Fox Racing is a VR Arcade game for Super Nintendo World.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Retro´s new game is one of my top#3 incoming games for Switch, even if we still have no confirmed info about it.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I feel like SFGP would be received similarly to Tropical Freeze, where Era will freak out and hate the game at announcement, and then will become a beloved classic once it launches.
Or it'll end up like Star Fox Zero where people say Platinum/Retro can do no wrong, and some people still try to defend it way after release even though its not really good.
Can go both ways.