• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Retro isn't working on Donkey Kong.

Prime and DK are under Tanabe's purview and production queue. And we know Retro isn't working with him.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
4 years. Tropical freeze was 2014.
Which profile is that? Tanabe had explicitly stated that work began on the new project in November 2013 as they wrapped up TF. He then later went on to say he wasn't sure what Retro was working on. So....... Who knows haha. All I know it's been a long time.

It might have been a job posting, it was almost 5 years ago so articles are hard to find, but here is some smoke for when they started:

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/retro-...-and-designers-from-bioware-vigil-and-juncti/
January 2013 they hired a bunch of new western developers, including a concept artist, this was well into DKTF's development where a concept artist doesn't make much sense.
(Starting development is a tricky thing, BotW didn't start production until January 2013 (GDC 2017 notes), but it was in the planning stages for an entire year before that, with engine work being done in the meantime. Retro started planning out and hiring for their next game at the beginning of 2013 and began at least some prototyping in summer 2013 from what I've been told.

E3 2013 Tanabe started talking about expanding the Metroid universe in a big way with other bounty hunters, and his desire to work with Retro Studios on it.

E3 2015 was of course Federation Force, but Tanabe did talk about Prime 4 and the timeline was about 3 years that he gave, Prime 4 went into development with Namco of course, but Retro's big title could very well expand on the Metroid universe, since he is behind all the metroid prime games, this makes perfect sense to me.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take a guess that we will see a small trailer for whatever it is in the direct, with a full reveal at E3

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take a guess that we will see a small trailer for whatever it is in the direct, with a full reveal at E3

Might sound weird, but I hope not. I want them to save it for E3, show us Prime 4 then afterwards, Metroid Universe and flash the Retro Studios logo and give us a teaser trailer about an open world (non linear) bounty hunter game, that has online components.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Retro collaboration with From Software, Eternal Darkness will be a souls-like game.

Calling it now.

Pls

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We really need to see a logo or something for Retro's game by E3. If not I'm going to drive down to Austin, Texas and get it from someone there. Haha

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I would agree, but I've slowly gone away from their game releasing this year. I pray I'm wrong. I need to see their game, especially with it sounding like it's a new IP.

Oh yeah if it's not releasing this year then I wouldn't expect a reveal. I will say though that Nintendo has been a little more on top of managing fan reaction based on the MP4 and Pokemon announcements, so they announce whatever Retro is doing sooner rather than later to head off a lot of internet negativity.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
What's non-linear storytelling supposed to be? As in story that has possible branch points, or is the non-linear more referring to game design (ie, non-linear game progression like open world and trying to tell a story with that design in mind)?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah if it's not releasing this year then I wouldn't expect a reveal. I will say though that Nintendo has been a little more on top of managing fan reaction based on the MP4 and Pokemon announcements, so they announce whatever Retro is doing sooner rather than later to head off a lot of internet negativity.
Yeah they did good with Pokémon because of US/UM. They did a good job announcing Prime 4 because they knew they were going to announce Samus Returns for 3DS.

Difference though is they got announced because they had another game coming in their series and Nintendo didn't want the backlash. We don't know what Retro is working on or if it's even related to a series.