• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suppose the talent at Retro is still good to keep handling the franchise (which shouldn't be much of a surprise since the people who worked initially on MP were not able to replicate the success on their own).

Apparently the other Retro project is complete as well.
Don't forget that Retro might not have had a good game without Nintendo reigning them in and giving them guiadance on MP. I have no concerns about this game other then not getting to play it sooner.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You mean gyro? Gyro controls supplement dual stick controls and can be turned off. I have no problem with them.

Motion controls are the waving your dick at the screen garbage the Wii and PS Move used.

Obviously. It's what anyone means when they say motion controls, it's not 2006. Nobody means wiimote nowadays and even bringing that up as a slight against motion controls would be like someone discarding analogue controls as foolish and that we should have stuck with dpads only around the ps4s launch by basing it on the n64s analogue being a bit shit and ignoring the decade and a half of improvements in the interim.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Why can't Metroid Prime be built on top of Nintendo's in-house Odyssey engine? That game looks stellar on Switch at 60fps. I would also think Nintendo's own dev tools and engines are better optimized for their own hardware than say UE4

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good joke. Motion controls will never be superior to traditional controls.
Motion controls are basically mouse controls for FPS. Which is vastly superior to gamepad controls without aim assist features. I'm not necessarily a fan of them, but they are better. Especially if it can be done 1:1.

Oct 29, 2017
A Retro and NST joint project?! WHOA

Mind you though, it could've been cancelled by now for all I know. I did hear about it a LONG time ago now (think it was 2016 I heard about it?), so godonlyknows what's happened since.

Maybe it'll end up being an actual game, or maybe it'll be an Unseen64 video one day. Who can say at this point?

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why can't Metroid Prime be built on top of Nintendo's in-house Odyssey engine? That game looks stellar on Switch at 60fps. I would also think Nintendo's own dev tools and engines are better optimized for their own hardware than say UE4
Doesn't mean it can handle what MP4 is supposed to be
I'd like to know why Retro weren't working on it in the first place. Ridiculous.
Maybe they didn't want to at first.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that engine is suited for a game that is more realistic graphically. It works well for a cartoony approach but I doubt it will work for large alien worlds. I also think they will lock it at 30 and go for better graphics.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that engine is suited for a game that is more realistic graphically. It works well for a cartoony approach but I doubt it will work for large alien worlds. I also think they will lock it at 30 and go for better graphics.
That's not how engines work though. Just look at UR4. It has a wide range of graphical styles form ultra realistic to cartoony as fuck. Just look at WC3 and WoW. It's the same engine. But modern WoW suffers, not graphically, but systems-wise. The WC3 engine was not designed to handle MMO capabilities.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I heard that they were working on a joint project with NST and that they were also working on a project of their own; both over the last 5 years.

I'm assuming that Starfox GP was (is?) their solo project. Their other one with NST? I don't really want to risk getting anyone into trouble, so I'll leave it there, but NST was supposedly the lead studio, while Retro was providing assistance (pretty much like what happened with Mario Kart 7).

I was expecting both games to have been announced long ago though, so I really don't know what's happening with them now... Surely Retro must've finished them by now though, and surely must be set for release this year, if they're now working on Prime 4? (unless they've both been cancelled...)

Retro working with NST and NST was leading? That sounds so bad. I have no confidence in NST studio. All they do is ports and Mario vs DK (helped with Snipperclips) Is that the games that's possibly cancelled according to Kotaku?

Why would nintendo trust retro if they canceled 2 straight games? Starfox GP seems real and ready to go. The other games that's possibly with NST is probably dead.

Resetti

Oct 25, 2017
Mind you though, it could've been cancelled by now for all I know. I did hear about it a LONG time ago now (think it was 2016 I heard about it?), so godonlyknows what's happened since.

Maybe it'll end up being an actual game, or maybe it'll be an Unseen64 video one day. Who can say at this point?
Well if that's the case then that could be the cancelled Retro project mentioned in Kotaku's Starfox GP report?
Appreciate the insight!

Oct 29, 2017

Because Retro don't speak Japanese.

Nintendo EPD/EAD have their own internal engine that is shared across all of their own projects called NintendoWare and it has been constantly developed and iterated on ever since Starfox for the SNES. It does not have English language documentation though and is useless for Retro's needs.

Retro have (had?) their own internal engine ever since the GCN that they've continued to build upon, but DKCTF was barely a leap over DKCR at all; implying that they did not really write a new rendering pipeline for when they transitioned over from Wii to Wii U. As such, the engine is currently far too underspecced to really use on a modern title; so Retro have two choices. Either take the existing game engine, rip out the renderer and rewrite it completely, or license a 3rd party engine like UE4.

Gut feeling tells me that Retro will do/have done the former (would also help explain the long radio silence), given that they develop games with the same mindset as EAD/EPD, but licensing UE4 isn't impossible either...

Well if that's the case then that could be the cancelled Retro project mentioned in Kotaku's Starfox GP report?
Appreciate the insight!

That's exactly what I thought myself. Would also help explain why NST were put onto Snipperclips as well, as it was really unprecedented to see Nintendo give away their own internal development resources to an indie studio!

Shame really, because the project sounded really promising (if perhaps overly ambitious). Sounded like a really good fit for NST too, or well at least their past self anyway, from their kind of output that came before the PROJECT HAMMER exodus...

Guess what? The Metroid Prime Trilogy and the two Retro Studios Donkey Kong Country games share the same engine! Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild also all run on iterations of the same engine too!

There's no such thing as a "cartoony" engine and a "realistic" engine; that's not how game engines work...

Last edited:

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I really cant accept this. I dont believe the rumors that nintendo are just sittting on these games like that. going by this they had a bunch of games to release to increase their library, and they just freaking do nothing with them? dont they want to reach their 20M goal? because that would have been one easy way to avoid dropping their stocks like mad last year.
I am sorry jonneh and everyone else who claims this, but it absolutely makes no sense.
To release them all once they are ready is what would make no sense. You don't just release a game like that, randomly, as soon as it's ready to go. There's a fuck ton of people at Nintendo, analyzing the market, giving advice to the leads to when x game should release.
People on Era keep saying how 2018 was bad for them, but for Nintendo it wasn't. They're breaking records. So far with the Switch their marketing plan has been on point.

That's not even a secret or a "rumor" that company do that.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Man, I've never played the Prime games, I'd buy em instantly on the Switch. Always looked like fantastic games.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Was this the first time Nintendo tried to develop a single game at multiple locations simultaneously, kinda like Ubisoft does with Assassins Creed?

Because that's the first time I've heard them using that approach

Oct 29, 2017
Was this the first time Nintendo tried to develop a single game at multiple locations simultaneously, kinda like Ubisoft does with Assassins Creed?

Nope. Metroid Prime was co-developed by Retro and Nintendo SPD (Nintendo handled all of the music for the MP and Retro DKC games in Japan - Retro don't actually have their own in-house music composition team), Mario Kart 7 was a joint between Nintendo EAD (Hideki Konno's team) and Retro Studios, DKCTF was a joint between Retro (Texas) and Monster Games (Canada) (+ UK for David Wise Music Production and Kenji Yamamoto in Japan), Metroid: Samus Returns was Nintendo SPD/EPD (Japan) and Mercury Steam (Spain).

That's not even getting into their involvement with TOSE (Japan/China) and the various other support studios that all Japanese developers use.

They've been doing this for years; it's nothing new.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think we should be careful about the whole "x and y are the same engine". Especially when said games are over 10 years apart. You'd end up with a Theseus Paradox real quick

Thinking in using Metroid Prime Cube's engine in 2019 and X86 architecture is incredible stupid. Or they use they internal stuff or go Unreal.
Switch is ARM, not x86

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK

Mario Kart sourced work from many first and second party companies iirc. Retro included.

Breath of the Wild had input from designers at Monolith Soft too.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Metroid Prime was co-developed by Retro and Nintendo SPD (Nintendo handled all of the music for the MP and Retro DKC games in Japan - Retro don't actually have their own in-house music composition team), Mario Kart 7 was a joint between Nintendo EAD (Hideki Konno's team) and Retro Studios, DKCTF was a joint between Retro (Texas) and Monster Games (Canada) (+ UK for David Wise Music Production and Kenji Yamamoto in Japan), Metroid: Samus Returns was Nintendo SPD/EPD (Japan) and Mercury Steam (Spain).

That's not even getting into their involvement with TOSE (Japan/China) and the various other support studios that all Japanese developers use.

They've been doing this for years; it's nothing new.
Monster is in Minnesota

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Nintendo EPD/EAD have their own internal engine that is shared across all of their own projects called NintendoWare and it has been constantly developed and iterated on ever since Starfox for the SNES. It does not have English language documentation though and is useless for Retro's needs.

Retro have (had?) their own internal engine ever since the GCN that they've continued to build upon, but DKCTF was barely a leap over DKCR at all; implying that they did not really write a new rendering pipeline for when they transitioned over from Wii to Wii U. As such, the engine is currently far too underspecced to really use on a modern title; so Retro have two choices. Either take the existing game engine, rip out the renderer and rewrite it completely, or license a 3rd party engine like UE4.

Gut feeling tells me that Retro will do/have done the former (would also help explain the long radio silence), given that they develop games with the same mindset as EAD/EPD, but licensing UE4 isn't impossible either...

That's exactly what I thought myself. Would also help explain why NST were put onto Snipperclips as well, as it was really unprecedented to see Nintendo give away their own internal development resources to an indie studio!

Shame really, because the project sounded really promising (if perhaps overly ambitious). Sounded like a really good fit for NST too, or well at least their past self anyway, from their kind of output that came before the PROJECT HAMMER exodus...

Guess what? The Metroid Prime Trilogy and the two Retro Studios Donkey Kong Country games share the same engine! Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild also all run on iterations of the same engine too!

There's no such thing as a "cartoony" engine and a "realistic" engine; that's not how game engines work...
What engine do you think Retro used for Star Fox GP and why wouldn't they just use it for Prime 4 as well?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Well they gotta do something after having him show up so much. Maybe "Sylux died on the way back to his home planet," and then never mention him again.
They don't have to tie anything i to 3 or 4 sequel bait teases that had absolutely zero context to the story you just played. Genyu Takeda doesn't know what a story is and he should leave it to the developers.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017

So what makes the Mario engine so good that it will be suited for Metroid Prime?

Oct 29, 2017
Monster is in Minnesota

Ahh shoot, you're right. Must've gotten them mixed up with NLG. Always thought they were Canadian!

What engine do you think Retro used for Star Fox GP and why wouldn't they just use it for Prime 4 as well?

Probably Retro's own one; and they would most likely be using it for Prime 4 too.

If not, then maybe they did license UE4? Either way, I think it's a safe bet that both SFGP and MP4 would be built on the same engine anyway.

So what makes the Mario engine so good that it will be suited for Metroid Prime?

It wouldn't be used, it has no English language documentation and it doesn't fit Retro's needs.

NintendoWare is super malleable though, Nintendo EAD/EPD use it for literally every game they make, and have done so ever since the N64 launched. If Nintendo was to make a new Metroid Prime game at EPD, it absolutely could be made using NintendoWare.

I think we should be careful about the whole "x and y are the same engine". Especially when said games are over 10 years apart. You'd end up with a Theseus Paradox real quick

This is very true though! I think it's safe to say that NintendoWare on Switch is no longer the same NintendoWare that powered Super Mario 64!

If Retro continue to stick with their own in-house engine, it will likely no longer really resemble the one used for all of their previous games (including DKCTF).

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't have to tie anything i to 3 or 4 sequel bait teases that had absolutely zero context to the story you just played. Genyu Takeda doesn't know what a story is and he should leave it to the developers.
I'd bet you my bottom dollar that the final game will drop the "4" from the title. This has always been just a placeholder and they won't want to feel restrained by a numbered title in a series where Part 3 released potentially 15 years before Prime 4 and possibly scare some customers.

I'll bet you anything this game will end up being called Metroid Prime: [insert subtitle]. No "4" at all.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Sure, if by wave race you mean mario Vs donkey Kong and by ambitious you mean as devoid of ambition as it could get.
It's funny that you think that Wave Racer can be ambitious and Mario vs. Donkey Kong can not.

How much money do you think someone will invest in 2019 in a game of jet skis? It is a "sport" that is right now at the level of curling

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Ahh shoot, you're right. Must've gotten them mixed up with NLG. Always thought they were Canadian!

Probably Retro's own one; and they would most likely be using it for Prime 4 too.

If not, then maybe they did license UE4? Either way, I think it's a safe bet that both SFGP and MP4 would be built on the same engine anyway.

It wouldn't be used, it has no English language documentation and it doesn't fit Retro's needs.

NintendoWare is super malleable though, Nintendo EAD/EPD use it for literally every game they make, and have done so ever since the N64 launched. If Nintendo was to make a new Metroid Prime game at EPD, it absolutely could be made using NintendoWare.
Ok but where do you get that info from ? Not that I don't believe you but Nintendo is secrative enough that I dont think many people know what kind of engines they use or how the engine is modified on basis of the game's needs. Lets be honest here, no EPD game even resembles the look and feel and playstyle of Metroid Prime. So if Retro were to use it they would probably have to make or add significant changes. Their own internal Prime engine is probably better suited for the job.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
please release trilogy now

i have never got the chance to play them

Oct 29, 2017
Ok but where do you get that info from ? Not that I don't believe you but Nintendo is secrative enough that I dont think many people know what kind of engines they use or how the engine is modified on basis of the game's needs. Lets be honest here, no EPD game even resembles the look and feel and playstyle of Metroid Prime. So if Retro were to use it they would probably have to make or add significant changes. Their own internal Prime engine is probably better suited for the job.

There isn't one source, it's all over the place. It's well known though that Nintendo share one engine for all of their internal EAD/SPD projects (not unlike how EA use Frostbite for everything - except Nintendo have been following this practice ever since 1996!), you've just gotta look around and read up about it (searching for Nintendo Ware would be a good start though if you want to learn more - it's really interesting! You can see how they reuse assets and code in their games if you pay close attention to their actual games though; one example that stands out as pretty obvious is if you look at how the camera works when hitting door switches in Starfox 2 and OoT, or the way that all of their game characters heads/eyes follow important objects in all EAD games post Wind Waker...).

Retro don't use the same tools as EAD/SPD/EPD though (and neither do any of Nintendo's other affiliated studios and external partners), so the point is moot here anyway.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild also all run on iterations of the same engine too!

While there is some element of truth to this on a fundamental level, it is effectively meaningless. The switch to a physically-based renderer and the changes in codebase, structure, and workflow that needed to be made in order to make Breath of the Wild are so significant that you might as well call it a different engine.

Oct 29, 2017
While there is some element of truth to this on a fundamental level, it is effectively meaningless. The switch to a physically-based renderer and the changes in codebase, structure, and workflow that needed to be made in order to make Breath of the Wild are so significant that you might as well call it a different engine.

I was agreeing with you there :p

The point was that an engine isn't "cartoony" or "realistic"; that idea is nonsense.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Reading this old Eurogamer article, it seems that Bandai Namco Singapore may have completed whatever work they were doing on the original MP4 in early 2018 before handing over to the Japan studio and moving on to Ridge Racer 8.

I'm just speculating but it seems the project may have only unravelled at the point it was being developed at the Japan studio, which would explain why Nintendo took so long to intervene. It would also line up with Imran's claim (assuming any of that is correct) that some studios were proceeding smoothly, while others were troubled.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading this old Eurogamer article, it seems that Bandai Namco Singapore may have completed whatever work they were doing on the original MP4 in early 2018 before handing over to the Japan studio and moving on to Ridge Racer 8.

I'm just speculating but it seems the project may have only unravelled at the point it was being developed at the Japan studio, which would explain why Nintendo took so long to intervene. It would also line up with Imran's claim (assuming any of that is correct) that some studios were proceeding smoothly, while others were troubled.
I'm assuming the Bamco Singapore staff worked on a multiplayer component. Allegedly, MP4 has staff from Star Wars First Assault on the team there

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Speaking of NST, I'm assuming that the mentioned new Wave Race will be handled by them. It simply makes sense, they did it in the past and the series itself is not overly-ambitious so is hard to mess-up. Nintendo could give them that as a chance to prove themselves once again.

I guess that the assets survived at the very least.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah there's no doubt that we are getting some Metroid stuff before Prime 4 is out.

With how they're taking care to ensure this is great, I can see Nintendo releasing other stuff to ease the thirst of Metroid fans.

I'm pretty confident Metroid Prime Trilogy Switch exists for this reason alone. With Retro Studios now on board this is very likely to happen.

I'll happily take a 2D Metroid for Switch as well. They certainly hinted at another game in Samus Returns (hope Mercury Streams are up to the job).

Could Retro have been making a 2D Metroid game? Food for thought after both Prime Trilogy and DKC?

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
MPT will likely be delayed further, they will announce it when they have something to show for MP4, so probably E3 2020.