• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
If this doesn't warrant a thread, feel free to close it mods. However, I think it would inject some positivity into the discussion for those that are worried about the recent news. These tweets come from GameInformer senior editor (Imran on ERA) and share some insight on what went on behind the scenes with this game.

Keep in mind I don't know. That's just my guess.

But there's more Metroid stuff besides MP4 in development and I would imagine the MP4 delay adjusts their schedule a bit.
So overall I wonder if MPT is gonna get delayed because of all of this, which would be sad.

Also it sounds like the old development process was really bad. Metroid Prime is special because of the way all aspects of it come together so well, it would be impossible to create that effect when you've got different studios in different parts of the world creating it

Last edited:

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Should add in that imran said "other metroid stuff in development". Could maybe mean something like fusion remake and metroid 5?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Retro being the ones to pitch the demo and get approval should assuage a lot of fears.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this means they'll be able to salvage some stuff from 4 and it won't take as long.

And release that goddam trilogy like yesterday already

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Really good sign that Nintendo would drop their old MP4 version entirely based off of the demo Retro pitched. Must have been a really good demo plus developing under 1 main internal studio helps out greatly.

Also Retro is actually interested in working on Metroid Prime again which is exciting!

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Can somene ask Imran, as he seems to have a lot of knoledge of what has been happening, if the game they were working before now MP4 is nearly completition?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I guess that explains some of the development issues, but I'm glad it's now back under one roof (Retro's roof).

With that said, I hope that MPT's port isn't delayed too far back.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Prime Trilogy HD would certainly satiate my Metroid hunger.

Good to know Retro managed to impress Nintendo to that degree though gives me high hopes for the game. Kind of hoping we see some of the older devs returning but I'm sure the current Retro can still do the game justice.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like a Sakamoto led metroidvania for Switch. Given how well the indie metroidvanias are doing, I don't see why Nintendo can't release their own.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
The lack of anything Metroid at TGAs makes more sense with this in context, honestly.

Definitely. I was worried when nothing was shown. With all the rumor buzz about it if development was going ok they could/would have shown at least a short teaser of footage even if it wasn't a 2019 release. They could have showed that and announced the trilogy port for 2019 and gotten great PR. That they showed nothing was a big red flag to me that MP4 was probably further off than even 2020.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I wouldn't be surprised if we got a MPT announcement in the next Direct. The delay/reboot announcement was likely done so whatever comes 'next' for the franchise isn't seen as disappointing due to the lack of MP4 news. I highly doubt that the announcement was a move made out of necessity (i.e. 'we just decided this yesterday') instead of one carefully planned out by Nintendo.

Retro having pitched the demo to Nintendo is great. Means that they're probably going to be a good fit even if a lot of the original staff aren't there anymore.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
MPT trilogy will hold me over for sure. I never played it on the Wii/Wii U because... they were on the Wii and Wii U, honestly. I'd love to play them again. It's been so, so long.

king_kerry

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Sounds like MPT was supposed to be announced with more info on MP4 at Game Awards but with Nintendo dealing with troubled development on it they probably pulled the announcement for later.

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
Hopefully the trilogy won't be delayed that long. Makes sense to release it closer to MP4, sure, but that's at LEAST 3 years away, probably more... I've only played a bit of MP1 but I've been holding off on playing it and the others in hopes of the trilogy. Could be a great way to make up for the delay.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I don't want to hear another Nintendo rumor for a long time. Nintendo insiders are about as trustworthy as the guy breaking into my house right now.

Just announce the port if it's done.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
How big is Retro nowadays? I have a feeling they'll see a massive increase in staff in the not too distant future

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Prime 4 probably won't be until 2022 at the earliest now. But I'm all for the trilogy on Switch. Wondering how they'd handle the motion controls.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Nintendo sit on complete games all the time so there's really no saying when Prime Trilogy will release. Could be really soon or they could keep it locked away for a year

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
If the trilogy is done just release it :(

And we have heard from multiple people that the trilogy is ready so that shouldn't be a question anymore.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Possibly, but I think its more likely mercury steam wants to make a full new game.

They don't have to be mutually exclusive. They could even farm out porting it to someone else as it just needs and up-res etc. to look ok on Switch/TV screens. Especially if they're wanting to port the GBA games as well (Super Metroid probably less likely since SNES games will probably come to the online service eventually).

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds good. I have better feelings about this game now, hopefully it all works out!

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Can somene ask Imran, as he seems to have a lot of knoledge of what has been happening, if the game they were working before now MP4 is nearly completition?
No idea. I would assume so but that's only a guess.

I have heard it come up more in recent weeks so I doubt it's dead.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, if there's one thing we've learned, it's to always trust insiders, without even labeling it as "Rumor." That never backfires on fans.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It sounds like the best way things could have gone in the circumstances.

C'mon Metroid fans, you are hardened with patience

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Nice I think i'll finally finish mp2 and refinish 3. Replayed the first one too many times now