• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Retro Studios hasn't made a single bad game yet, so it'll be amazing no matter what it is. Donkey Kong, pirates or fucking pong, it doesn't matter. Retro will make it mindblowingly good.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Honestly, with the developers job postings and what they have said they have done for the project. If it is an existing ip. I really could see it being a new Eternal Darkness

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
You say that as if we didn't just persevere the Wii U for 5 years and the constant disappointments that came with that generation
I mean, I don't know if I'd ever go as far as to describe a video game reveal as "heartbreaking" though. Not to mention, it's kind of disrespectful and demoralizing to the devs (who, by the way just a page before you posted, were actually proven to look on here). Like, especially Retro considering every game they've made is great

This is a hobby. If a game makes you happy, great, if a game disappoints, just move on and find another one that makes you happy

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I don't know if I'd ever go as far as to describe a video game reveal as "heartbreaking" though.

Like this is a hobby. If a game makes you happy, great, if a game disappoints, just move on and find another one that makes you happy
Lol y'all I'm just a hyperbolic typer. I say a lot of things to convey emotion in a strong direction. I ain't literally sitting in a kiddy corner losing sleep lol

Also very sarcastic if you follow my posts a lot in threads

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's good. Sometimes it's hard to tell on here haha
It's not easy to tell who's joking or being sarcastic. Words can only convey so much.
I can be very passionate of course, especially with the whole Xenoblade 2 anime/pandering thing, but I'm mostly about using powerful words like "heartbreaking", "cringey", "scam", or "mediocre" to help communicate to others the direction I am addressing said topic. Because nothing translates a weaker impact of communicating than saying vague or soft phrases. It doesn't translate well through text. So I go for more impactful statements to convey better to hopefully attract attention for discussion on the topic. It does come at the sacrifice of people thinking I'm literally tearing up upset or slamming my keyboard angry or something lol. Ey, it is what it is

Oct 26, 2017
People won't be happy until Retro is off Donkey Kong and reviving some dormant IP or making a AAA game like Sony. I'm sometimes surprised at how crazy and unrealistic the expectations people have for Retro are.

Personally, I hope they're making another Donkey Kong game. I'll be fine with whatever they end up making, though.

TBF, they are taking as much time as a Sony AAA game.

Llazy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Retro Studios hasn't made a single bad game yet, so it'll be amazing no matter what it is. Donkey Kong, pirates or fucking pong, it doesn't matter. Retro will make it mindblowingly good.
well to be fair you could have said "rare has never made a bad game yet" back in the early 2000s then they release banjo kazoie nuts n bolts. You can never be too sure with what devs will make next.

JP Cubish

Nov 6, 2017
I really hope they are making a pirate game. One of my gaming dreams is for a studio to do to the pirate genre what Rockstar did for the western. While we are getting a lot of pirate games recently, they are either online-focused or based on an existing franchise with a pirate theme tacked on.

I want a huge open-world single player pirates game. Either give it a strong narrative focus with side-missions a la Red Dead, or have it more free form where you can do whatever you want. Start off as a nobody and build your crew, invading islands and ships. You can even throw in mythological creatures like mermaids and sea monsters if you wanted to get crazy.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I really hope they are making a pirate game. One of my gaming dreams is for a studio to do to the pirate genre what Rockstar did for the western. While we are getting a lot of pirate games recently, they are either online-focused or based on an existing franchise with a pirate theme tacked on.

I want a huge open-world single player pirates game. Either give it a strong narrative focus with side-missions a la Red Dead, or have it more free form where you can do whatever you want. Start off as a nobody and build your crew, invading islands and ships. You can even throw in mythological creatures like mermaids and sea monsters if you wanted to get crazy.

That's what my idea for Retro's title would be, untapped market.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That seems way too ambitious

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
A pirate game where you start off as nobody, as mentioned earlier. You build up your crew in a struggling and rewarding way. The villains would be an illuminati ninja assassin's guild organisation.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone compiled a list of features we should be expecting based on all of the job listings and LinkedIn profiles over the last few years? I wonder if we could piece it together based on that.

Rushoff

Oct 28, 2017
well to be fair you could have said "rare has never made a bad game yet" back in the early 2000s then they release banjo kazoie nuts n bolts. You can never be too sure with what devs will make next.
How independent is Retro in what they are doing? How much control does Nintendo have over their projects etc? Asking cause I feel that Nintendo would never agree to make nuts n bolts.

Jan 15, 2018
That happened after the Rare buyout. Rare's pristine quality of games during the SNES and N64 era still rings mostly true.

We have little to worry about for Retro's next game.

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone compiled a list of features we should be expecting based on all of the job listings and LinkedIn profiles over the last few years? I wonder if we could piece it together based on that.

-A good bit of story since they hired/promoted three people to be writers.

-Maybe online multiplayer since they hired a woman who has mostly done netcode in her career. Then again, programmers can be versatile.

-Maybe cartoony graphics since they've exclusively hired people who do cartoony art styles since Tropical Freeze. Then again, a lot of their artists came from the Epic Mickey team closing and artists can be versatile also.

-The (former) lead narrative designer writes and draws feminist comic books, but she has a good bit of range. She's done medieval fantasy (dragons, princesses, wizards, etc) feminist deconstruction, modern slasher comic starring a teen girl, and even things like NFL comic books.

-The lead writer has mostly worked on the YouTube series Live Action Role Playing which is a very meta TV series like thing about people who do live action role playing.

-The #3 writer talked about specializing in non-linear storytelling and telling a compelling story in a meaningful world... Whatever he may mean by that.

-They haven't hired major game designers since Tropical Freeze other than hiring several game designers from the Epic Mickey team after Disney closed the studio (the Epic Mickey team was located super close geographically to Retro).

-They started their writing team and hired their (probable) lead network programmer around September 2016.

This is literally all of the information on Retro's current project... It's pretty sad how limited our knowledge base is.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
-A good bit of story since they hired/promoted three people to be writers.

-Maybe online multiplayer since they hired a woman who has mostly done netcode in her career. Then again, programmers can be versatile.

-Maybe cartoony graphics since they've exclusively hired people who do cartoony art styles since Tropical Freeze. Then again, a lot of their artists came from the Epic Mickey team closing and artists can be versatile also.

-The (former) lead narrative designer writes and draws feminist comic books, but she has a good bit of range. She's done medieval fantasy (dragons, princesses, wizards, etc) feminist deconstruction, modern slasher comic starring a teen girl, and even things like NFL comic books.

-The lead writer has mostly worked on the YouTube series Live Action Role Playing which is a very meta TV series like thing about people who do live action role playing.

-The #3 writer talked about specializing in non-linear storytelling and telling a compelling story in a meaningful world... Whatever he may mean by that.

-They haven't hired major game designers since Tropical Freeze other than hiring several game designers from the Epic Mickey team after Disney closed the studio (the Epic Mickey team was located super close geographically to Retro).

-They started their writing team and hired their (probable) lead network programmer around September 2016.

This is literally all of the information on Retro's current project... It's pretty sad how limited our knowledge base is.

Thanks!

My money is still on Pong: Remastered.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Jesus... Almost 40 pages with zero info.

When Retro announces their game, anything short of The Last of Us is going to disappoint everyone.

Nov 4, 2017

Retro is nowhere near the same studio it was in the past - there was a mass exodus. They just don't have the numbers anymore to put out something along of the lines of Metroid Prime back in the day. It's not that kind of studio anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure whatever is eventually revealed will be quite smart and clever but ambitious certainly won't be a word to describe it. Iwata wasn't interested in building up a strong western presence.

Oct 26, 2017
Retro is nowhere near the same studio it was in the past - there was a mass exodus. They just don't have the numbers anymore to put out something along of the lines of Metroid Prime back in the day. It's not that kind of studio anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure whatever is eventually revealed will be quite smart and clever but ambitious certainly won't be a word to describe it. Iwata wasn't interested in building up a strong western presence.

Metroid Prime was made with 30 people, Retro today has like 100-150 people.

Then again, 100-150 people is an average amount of people for a AAA Switch studio and 30 was a fair number for a AAA GameCube game.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
Why do I have this crippling feeling the reveal is going to be truly heartbreaking

Don't know, but I have a feeling their game won't be nearly as expansive and ambitious as some people want, as the team has traditionally not been of the kind of size to support that (maybe it is now, but I doubt it).

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Have we ruled out that it is not Labo?
You see, a big feature of Labo involves giant robots. My hope is their developing something along those lines, but a little smaller.

cover_large.jpg

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Why do I have this crippling feeling the reveal is going to be truly heartbreaking

Because there are always these concerning rumors about Retro wasting money or not having enough money, and all their senior devs that left the studio (now having top roles on other companie),... also when it was the last time we've heard that Retro hiring? if i remember correctly it wasn't that long ago like last year, which could also mean that their next project might still be far away.

I'll always trust them though, as other already pointed, they've never screwed a game, plus the last leak got me hyped

https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...-building-and-non-linear-storytelling”.27883/

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Because people really overhype what Retro could be working on. Just look at this recent video from the Commonwealth Realm. They state it "could be a new IP with the same starpower as Horizon Zero Dawn". Like, why are people comparing Retro to Sony?

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Because people really overhype what Retro could be working on. Just look at this recent video from the Commonwealth Realm. They state it "could be a new IP with the same starpower as Horizon Zero Dawn". Like, why are people comparing Retro to Sony?

Retro Studios makes much better games than Horizon: Zero Dawn (I feel like most people ignore its flaws because of the fancy visuals).

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Retro Studios makes much better games than Horizon: Zero Dawn (I feel like most people ignore its flaws because of the fancy visuals).

Another thing is that I'm expecting a very Nintendo-like game from Retro, Donkey Kong or not. I get they may have been using Horizon as a comparison because it was a successful new IP, but I just don't get all the Sony comparisons.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another thing is that I'm expecting a very Nintendo-like game from Retro, Donkey Kong or not. I get they may have been using Horizon as a comparison because it was a successful new IP, but I just don't get all the Sony comparisons.

Because people want Retro to do a high visual(realistic type graphics), huge world game and they've been hoping for this for years, that they've tricked their mind into thinking it could really happen.

I hope there aren't any meltdowns when they see Retro isn't doing that. :(