• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I just got the email that RetroArch is released today (again?). i thought it was out already.

Where can I find to download the patcher for Floating IPS?

Last edited:

fluidz

Nov 11, 2021
Has anyone seen their screen flicker rapidly (brightness flicker) after using any of the crt shaders in Mupen64, and continue to flicker after closing Retroarch?

My experience using crt-geom-deluxe shader :

After playing Ocarina of time for approx 30mins in Mupen64plus (Rdp/Rsp = paraLLEI), I pressed escape to open the overlay to save my game, I noticed something was off with overlay, the dark gray background was flickering (dark/light, rapidly).

Steps I did to try and solve :

- First I turned off my monitor (Acer xb271hu) and then turned it back on, the flicker was still happening.
- I then turned the monitor off, unplugged it from the outlet, reconnected the power, turned the screen back on (this took like 30 seconds) flicker was still there.
- I closed retroarch so I was back on the desktop with no 3d apps running and noticed the top part of my screen was still flickering.
- I opened the Gsync pendulum demo and found the background was flickering approx every 5 seconds.
- So I closed the pendulum demo, turned off Gsync in the Nvidia control panel, and the flickering on the desktop stopped, it stopped happening in the pendulum demo too. I turned Gsync back on, the flickering came back.

I kinda freaked out and turned the screen off for 5min and turned it back on, still flickering. I turned the pc off and left it overnight (6hrs or so), turned it back on and the flicker had finally stopped. I have seen this happen twice now when using Crt shaders and it always happens after playing a game with Crt shaders. I know I could just disable Gsync to prevent it happening, but I've been put off using the crt shaders because of this. I literally thought my monitor had started to go faulty (no warranty left) :/.

Can anyone relate? What would be causing this to happen? This has not happened in any other situation other than using Retroarch with shaders and I game a lot using Gsync.

I found this one thread where someone seems to have experienced similar - https://www.reddit.com/r/OpenEmu/comments/oihpm3/help_strange_persistent_screen_flickering_issue/

Specs : Retroarch 1.9.11. Gpu : Nvidia 2080ti, Monitor : Acer xb271hu Gsync monitor set to 144hz. Gsync enabled in Retroarch and Nvcp. Shader I was using : crt-geom-deluxe.

Last edited:

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Sounds like a bug. If you can reproduce it reliably, as it sounds like you do, let them know.

If you need to fix it in the future, restart your GPU driver by pressing win+ctrl+shit+b. You'll get a black screen briefly, then it should come back.

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone seen their screen flicker rapidly (brightness flicker) after using any of the crt shaders in Mupen64, and continue to flicker after closing Retroarch?

My experience using crt-geom-deluxe shader :

After playing Ocarina of time for approx 30mins in Mupen64plus (Rdp/Rsp = paraLLEI), I pressed escape to open the overlay to save my game, I noticed something was off with overlay, the dark gray background was flickering (dark/light, rapidly).

Steps I did to try and solve :

- First I turned off my monitor (Acer xb271hu) and then turned it back on, the flicker was still happening.
- I then turned the monitor off, unplugged it from the outlet, reconnected the power, turned the screen back on (this took like 30 seconds) flicker was still there.
- I closed retroarch so I was back on the desktop with no 3d apps running and noticed the top part of my screen was still flickering.
- I opened the Gsync pendulum demo and found the background was flickering approx every 5 seconds.
- So I closed the pendulum demo, turned off Gsync in the Nvidia control panel, and the flickering on the desktop stopped, it stopped happening in the pendulum demo too. I turned Gsync back on, the flickering came back.

I kinda freaked out and turned the screen off for 5min and turned it back on, still flickering. I turned the pc off and left it overnight (6hrs or so), turned it back on and the flicker had finally stopped. I have seen this happen twice now when using Crt shaders and it always happens after playing a game with Crt shaders. I know I could just disable Gsync to prevent it happening, but I've been put off using the crt shaders because of this. I literally thought my monitor had started to go faulty (no warranty left) :/.

Can anyone relate? What would be causing this to happen? This has not happened in any other situation other than using Retroarch with shaders and I game a lot using Gsync.

I found this one thread where someone seems to have experienced similar - https://www.reddit.com/r/OpenEmu/comments/oihpm3/help_strange_persistent_screen_flickering_issue/

Specs : Retroarch 1.9.11. Gpu : Nvidia 2080ti, Monitor : Acer xb271hu Gsync monitor set to 144hz. Gsync enabled in Retroarch and Nvcp. Shader I was using : crt-geom-deluxe.
I have that same monitor, and very rarely I've noticed it getting temporary image retention after playing certain games with certain backgrounds or flickering OSD elements. The area where the image retention happens looks a little flickery; though I don't remember having the whole display flicker. Easiest way to trigger it is to play Rayforce (Gunlock) in FB Neo for awhile, since the OSD changes pixel colors to flicker every frame. The retention fades after an hour or so.

Also, a few times I was looking at people's screenshots of CRT shaders on the libretro forums, I'd notice a green or purple streak across the whole screen. It would scroll with where the screenshot was on the page. Even with the browser in a window, the streak would go across the whole screen, following wherever the screenshot was. My theory is somehow the CRT shader's mask and/or scanline pattern was freaking the monitor out for whatever reason. I found these "Inversion (pixel walk) test" images on this site that confirmed patterns like that can cause my monitor to act up. The 7a test image makes my monitor display purple, with a green streak where the "Current, Next Prev" box is. There should be no colors, just a gray pattern, like the other patterns...

I know these aren't exactly like your experience, but since you have the same display I figured I'd mention it can do weird stuff sometimes.

fluidz

Nov 11, 2021
Sounds like a bug. If you can reproduce it reliably, as it sounds like you do, let them know.

If you need to fix it in the future, restart your GPU driver by pressing win+ctrl+shit+b. You'll get a black screen briefly, then it should come back.

I'm hesitant to enable shaders at the moment after what I've seen but If I do get around to playing with shaders again and it happens again I'll be sure to do that.

Thank You

I have that same monitor, and very rarely I've noticed it getting temporary image retention after playing certain games with certain backgrounds or flickering OSD elements. The area where the image retention happens looks a little flickery; though I don't remember having the whole display flicker. Easiest way to trigger it is to play Rayforce (Gunlock) in FB Neo for awhile, since the OSD changes pixel colors to flicker every frame. The retention fades after an hour or so.

Also, a few times I was looking at people's screenshots of CRT shaders on the libretro forums, I'd notice a green or purple streak across the whole screen. It would scroll with where the screenshot was on the page. Even with the browser in a window, the streak would go across the whole screen, following wherever the screenshot was. My theory is somehow the CRT shader's mask and/or scanline pattern was freaking the monitor out for whatever reason. I found these "Inversion (pixel walk) test" images on this site that confirmed patterns like that can cause my monitor to act up. The 7a test image makes my monitor display purple, with a green streak where the "Current, Next Prev" box is. There should be no colors, just a gray pattern, like the other patterns...

I know these aren't exactly like your experience, but since you have the same display I figured I'd mention it can do weird stuff sometimes.

The flickering was patchy iirc, and didn't affect the entire monitor. I've seen *edited - a similar* thing happen when running the inversion pixel walk test, I was trying out the different patterns and it caused the very left side of my screen to flicker for a while (1/20 of the screen was flickering). Thinking back, and now having experienced this, they definitely could be related. It's good to hear that someone with the same monitor has experienced something similar.

It's put my mind at ease, thanks.

Last edited:

Slash SeveN

Oct 25, 2017
I've been having an issue that I'm hoping someone on here may have an answer to, or at least point me in the right direction as to where to ask. I've been using a Retrode 2 to backup my N64 saves, and use them on an emulator. Process is always the same, grab the file, rename it to .srm, rename it with the proper rom name, bam, loads like magic in retroarch. There's 2 exceptions to this, and they're my save files for Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Both load up as blank. Tested on an N64 to make sure the saves were still actually there, and they are. No idea what to do here. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I've been having an issue that I'm hoping someone on here may have an answer to, or at least point me in the right direction as to where to ask. I've been using a Retrode 2 to backup my N64 saves, and use them on an emulator. Process is always the same, grab the file, rename it to .srm, rename it with the proper rom name, bam, loads like magic in retroarch. There's 2 exceptions to this, and they're my save files for Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Both load up as blank. Tested on an N64 to make sure the saves were still actually there, and they are. No idea what to do here. Has anyone had a similar experience?
Does this help?

OOT Save Converter

Ocarina of Time Save Converter

It appears you need two files which are then merged somehow? There's probably documentation of this on some ancient forum somewhere, Ocarina is a popular game after all.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
This seems to be the closest we have to a dedicated emulation thread so I'll ask here:

Do any PSX emulators offer a polygon counter or wire-frame mode as an option?

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Is there a reason why shaders would now make my screen go black in PPSSPP when they weren't before (using the same video driver)?

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Need some retroarch help for steam deck. Trying to set it up so that L2=Rewind, R2=Fast Forward, left track pad is save, right track pad is load, and L3 and R3 are switching save states.

It seems to work for NES, GB, GBC, N64, etc but GBA it's treating L2 as L1 as well (so it's doing L1 action instead of rewind), and I think the left track pad is doing double duty as start or select (so it's hitting start or select instead of saving). I can't for the life of me figure out why that is. R1 and L1 are also saving and loading states even though they're mapped to the touch pad clicks.

So two questions: Any idea why it's doing that? and, are there are any emulators on emudeck run by retroarch that will need L2/R2/L3/R3 for native controls in game? I know PS1 and PS2 are using other emulators, so I think I should be good there.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a couple issues on PC that are preventing me from really enjoying this fully. I use an 8Bitdo Pro 2. For whatever reason, escape seems bound to the Start button, and I can't figure out how to unbind it. This means that if I ever have to actually use the Start button for something in the game, I risk accidentally closing RA.

Additionally, I was playing a game that at some points had me simultaneously hitting R1 and one of the action buttons, which kept switching from full screen to windowed and vice versa. When I went to look for a control setting for that, I only saw that it had a keybind, but nothing for controller.

Lastly, are the two back buttons on the 8Bitdo not recognized by RA? Thought they might be nice for fast forward and something else, but when I try to bind them to something, nothing happens.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a couple issues on PC that are preventing me from really enjoying this fully. I use an 8Bitdo Pro 2. For whatever reason, escape seems bound to the Start button, and I can't figure out how to unbind it. This means that if I ever have to actually use the Start button for something in the game, I risk accidentally closing RA.

Additionally, I was playing a game that at some points had me simultaneously hitting R1 and one of the action buttons, which kept switching from full screen to windowed and vice versa. When I went to look for a control setting for that, I only saw that it had a keybind, but nothing for controller.

Lastly, are the two back buttons on the 8Bitdo not recognized by RA? Thought they might be nice for fast forward and something else, but when I try to bind them to something, nothing happens.
I use the 8bitdo Ultimate controller, so I'm basing my post on that:

Do you have the controller set to XInput? I know Dinput controllers outside of Android with Retroarch tend to have wonky mapping. If not, you should be able to fix it in settings>input>port 1. And while you're at it, go to hotkeys and set up a hotkey button so that if it doesn't resolve the issue, at the very least you have to press another button in tandem with start in order to trigger Retroarch closing.

The back buttons don't get registered individually, which sucks. We're probably going to need custom drivers before rear buttons on controllers are detected for individual inputs without them being remapped to face buttons or L3/R3.

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017

You don't have Steam running in the background with a desktop config that's making it give those Esc and fullscreen to windowed inputs do you? You can either close Steam or uncheck support for Xbox and/or generic controllers in it's settings to disable it. Or you can add a Steam shortcut to RetroArch and launch from that. That will make Steam use a default Xbox layout without any keyboard stuff unless you change the shortcut's controller layout.