• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
One of the biggest issues with PCSX2 as a core is that it's 32bit only, so you'll need a secondary 32bit RetroArch install if it ever gets libretroized. Unless you're actually using the 32bit version already, but it tends to have less cores available than the 64bit one.
I'm sure they'll rewrite it as a 64-bit executable and make a new dynarec.
Any day now...
We'll get an official Sony emulator on PC way before that

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, if the rumors of PS5 backwards compatibility are true, including the additional stuff like up-rezzing and texture filtering and such, then this will be moot (for me, anyway). I'm not going to hold my breath, though.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Does anyone know how to edit shaders? I have some Zfast CRT filters that I enjoy and have used with the SNES and PS classic, and have got them to work for the most part on my Genesis mini but I noticed on the top and left sides of the screen there's about an inch or 2 of the image warping when the screen scrolls. Would like to fix it but not sure if it's a bug or something I'm able to edit myself, which I'm just not super well versed in.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
So Beetle PSX should be more accurate than Beetle PSX HW core, right? Then why Vagrant Story main menus (after fmv intro) does not shows in Beetle PSX core, but only in HW??

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vulkan with default. Is there a difference in renderers if its still software?

Shouldn't be any difference be but you never know with these things and how different PC's act. I tried the game with Vulcan for you and it is still fine so the only other thing I can suggest is updating the core info files in the online updater.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
I've been setting up a small PC running Ubuntu as a dedicated emulation device via Retroarch. For the most part, things work as expected, but I've run into an issue where whenever I use the Close Content option after running the PPSSPP core, Retroarch freezes and I have to kill the process in order to quit.

I don't have this issue in Windows, nor does Retroarch freeze when I close content from any of the other cores. Has anyone here run into this issue? I did some searching and saw similar issues from others, but never saw any possible solutions.

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Not done much emulation in a while but got a sudden urge to play through Vagrant Story after all the discussion lately. Can anyone suggest anything I might be missing for what to try out when setting it up? I'd like to go the 'native resolution with supersampling' method. As far as I understand I should:

- Beetle PSX core
- Software rendering for accuracy
- 1x internal resolution
- 16x supersampling
- 16x MSAA
- PGXP on

Any other flags I should set? Don't think I want a filter. If it's possible to cleanly run the game at 60fps too I'd love the option, though I'm fine without if it gets buggy or janky or artificially speeds up the game.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Not done much emulation in a while but got a sudden urge to play through Vagrant Story after all the discussion lately. Can anyone suggest anything I might be missing for what to try out when setting it up? I'd like to go the 'native resolution with supersampling' method. As far as I understand I should:

- Beetle PSX core
- 1x internal resolution
- 16x supersampling
- 16x MSAA
- PGXP on

Any other flags I should set? Don't think I want a filter. If it's possible to cleanly run the game at 60fps too I'd love the option, though I'm fine without if it gets buggy or janky or artificially speeds up the game.

From my very limited experience that looks alright to me but 16x Supersampling along with 16x MSAA seem redundant to me.

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- Beetle PSX core
- 1x internal resolution
- 16x supersampling
- 16x MSAA
- PGXP on

Every feature you want to use relies on the hardware rendered verion of the core, accuracy is out of the window with all these features.

2x supersampling with native resolution looks ok but in my opinion everything above that looks terrible and far too smoothed out, you lose a lot of the original detail with anything above 2x. FYI be sure to turn off the vertex cache and use the memory only version of PGXP, enable 32 bit colour as dithering is out of the window with this mode, enable the mdec yuv filter and use Vulcan as it is far less buggy than OpenGL with this core.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finally opened my eyes and gave in to Retroarch after years of trying it every once in a while and giving up because it felt like a hassle to deal with.

Last week I gave it some legit time, set everything up and fuck, this is the best emulation experience. PS1 emulation is up there with Beetle PSX, yesterday most of my evening was with a friend, playing some Diablo couch co-op, no music bug, it was wonderful.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I finally opened my eyes and gave in to Retroarch after years of trying it every once in a while and giving up because it felt like a hassle to deal with.

Last week I gave it some legit time, set everything up and fuck, this is the best emulation experience. PS1 emulation is up there with Beetle PSX, yesterday most of my evening was with a friend, playing some Diablo couch co-op, no music bug, it was wonderful.

Yeah Retroarch is daunting at first but investing time into it pays off! I'm glad you had a great experience :)

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to get the CRT shaders to still shade at native resolution even if you up the internal resolution in the Beetle PSX HW Core? It seems it always upscales the shader as well. I'd like native CRT and scanline emulation but essentially with a higher resolution source video.

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to get the CRT shaders to still shade at native resolution even if you up the internal resolution in the Beetle PSX HW Core? It seems it always upscales the shader as well. I'd like native CRT and scanline emulation but essentially with a higher resolution source video.
Yeah, if you enable the supersampling core option, it downscales back to native output.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any idea as to why my mGBA core is suddenly capped at 50fps no matter which game I try to play? I tried a multitude of settings and none made a difference and it can't be hardware with my 8600k CPU. GPSP runs them at the proper 60fps.

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any idea as to why my mGBA core is suddenly capped at 50fps no matter which game I try to play? I tried a multitude of settings and none made a difference and it can't be hardware with my 8600k CPU. GPSP runs them at the proper 60fps.
I haven't had that issue, and my core is pretty much up to date (dd48180). You didn't turn off vsync for some reason, did you? There's been a plague of people doing that lately and wondering why their framerate isn't right.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had that issue, and my core is pretty much up to date (dd48180). You didn't turn off vsync for some reason, did you? There's been a plague of people doing that lately and wondering why their framerate isn't right.

No I didn't, I actually tried that and it made no difference though. I run on a 48-144hz G-Sync monitor and have the option enabled that syncs my refreshrate to the content framerate but disabling that too also left mGBA at 50fps regardless.

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
I also run with Gsync and have "sync to exact content framerate" enabled with no issues. Just tested Aria of Sorrow in mGBA and it scrolls at 60fps, no stutters.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I also run with Gsync and have "sync to exact content framerate" enabled with no issues. Just tested Aria of Sorrow in mGBA and it scrolls at 60fps, no stutters.

Hmm that's odd, PS1 and SNES games run fine as does the GPSP core, I really wonder where the issue lies. I also switched from Vulkan to CoreGL as my graphics-backend and no dice :/

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017

How'd you set it up (especially for Beetle)?

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How'd you set it up (especially for Beetle)?
Not much settings to do, tbh. I just adjusted the internal resolution to 2X.

One important thing with beetle is to be sure the information in your CUE file fits with your BIN file for each games. I messed with the file names back then (like adding the disc # in the name or writing a game's complete title) without editing the CUE file as well and the game won't launch if it's not that way.

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone happen to know what the prospects of Cave games post Ketsui are for FB Neo? Having trouble finding any info on them. The games that do work are completely mind-blowing when paired with RetroArch's run-ahead. Playing shmups with the lowest possible input lag feels like an entirely different genre and going back even to the superb M2 shot triggers releases feels sluggish in comparison.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I might aswell ask again, is there a good collection of borders for 4:3 content available somewhere? If not, is there any tool that helps me doing these myself for various aspect-ratio types, any templates?

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone happen to know what the prospects of Cave games post Ketsui are for FB Neo? Having trouble finding any info on them. The games that do work are completely mind-blowing when paired with RetroArch's run-ahead. Playing shmups with the lowest possible input lag feels like an entirely different genre and going back even to the superb M2 shot triggers releases feels sluggish in comparison.
Last I heard, they needed someone to contribute an SH3 dynarec to add support for CV1000 games. The author of the washingtondc Dreamcast emulator was interested in helping with it last summer, but I haven't seen any update since then.

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best PSX core to play 2D games? Namely games that don't utilize 3D models.
Beetle PSX. It's software renderer is the most accurate for native res emulation. The HW version using the software renderer should be the same in theory, but I think I read there were a few games that didn't work properly in the HW core for some reason.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Beetle PSX. It's software renderer is the most accurate for native res emulation. The HW version using the software renderer should be the same in theory, but I think I read there were a few games that didn't work properly in the HW core for some reason.
If you don't mind me asking, where do I set this while running Beetle PSX? Could you provide a screenshot?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think HW and SW are two separate cores. I think I only have the HW core installed myself. I wonder if that's why SotN renders weird?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Not much settings to do, tbh. I just adjusted the internal resolution to 2X.

One important thing with beetle is to be sure the information in your CUE file fits with your BIN file for each games. I messed with the file names back then (like adding the disc # in the name or writing a game's complete title) without editing the CUE file as well and the game won't launch if it's not that way.
I recommend not even keeping bin/cue files. Download PSX2PSP and convert all of your games into .psp eboot files and rename the files however you like. This will also make it easier for disc swapping for the PS1 games since you wouldn't have to make m3u files with precise naming. Not to mention, it's a compressed file, so you'll save on disc space.

I took the time to re-rip and convert my stuff to .psp files and my hard drive & emulation setup thanks me for it. Now, if only the same thing were possible with Gamecube and PS2 multi-disc games.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I recommend not even keeping bin/cue files. Download PSX2PSP and convert all of your games into .psp eboot files and rename the files however you like. This will also make it easier for disc swapping for the PS1 games since you wouldn't have to make m3u files with precise naming. Not to mention, it's a compressed file, so you'll save on disc space.

I took the time to re-rip and convert my stuff to .psp files and my hard drive & emulation setup thanks me for it. Now, if only the same thing were possible with Gamecube and PS2 multi-disc games.

Wait Beetle can read PSP eboots? o.o

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Take note that PS1 eboots taken from PSN can have sound degradation for games using CDAudio - as Sony converted all redbook audio tracks to lossy MP3s to save some bandwidth.
No such issue with files you make on your own.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Take note that PS1 eboots taken from PSN can have sound degradation for games using CDAudio - as Sony converted all redbook audio tracks to lossy MP3s to save some bandwidth.
Do the Suikoden games have that issue? The only versions of those games I have are the PSN versions.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
They shouldn't be affected, first game uses ADPCM for music, second is almost fully sequenced.
Good to know. Never got far enough into Suikoden on my PS3/PSP to notice, and I've never actually booted up Suikoden 2 beyond 15 minutes in the beginning, so I'm sure they're going to get played at some point during this quarantine.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
All of the PS1 cores can.

I see, thanks for this, I can actually consolidate quite a bit of my library then! I mostly have self-converts anyway, back when PSP firmawre 2.71 SE (I think that was the one) came out teenage me was super amazed that I could suddenly take all my PSX games to school so I converted them all back then.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I see, thanks for this, I can actually consolidate quite a bit of my library then! I mostly have self-converts anyway, back when PSP firmawre 2.71 SE (I think that was the one) came out teenage me was super amazed that I could suddenly take all my PSX games to school so I converted them all back then.
Just a heads up, don't swap discs too early on multi-disc games. If you use full boot, wait for the bios screens to fully pass by. If you skip those because you're not on a nostalgia trip, wait for the first splash screen/company logo before swapping. Otherwise, things won't load.

I'm sure this advice applies to m3u playlists too, but ehh.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up, don't swap discs too early on multi-disc games. If you use full boot, wait for the bios screens to fully pass by. If you skip those because you're not on a nostalgia trip, wait for the first splash screen/company logo before swapping. Otherwise, things won't load.

I'm sure this advice applies to m3u playlists too, but ehh.

Ah thanks for the heads up, I don't have too many multi-disc games but good to know for the Final Fantasy games! And I always have the splashes running when possible on all emulators, even on my new 3DS for GBA games, I like my extra bit nostalgia :P

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018

Woaaah no kidding, had no idea of this! I felt so clever using my PSN ripped eboots too D: