• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is the right spot for this question, but what's the best DS emulator to run through Retroarch on an Nvidia Shield?
Drastic.

Which isn't through Retroarch, it's standalone. Drastic's good enough that there's people who'll run an Android emulator on their desktop just to use Drastic to emulate their DS collection.

On my PC, I use all of the DS cores available depending on the game; I'd assume that depending on the game, you're not going to want to stick to just one core over the other.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Drastic.

Which isn't through Retroarch, it's standalone. Drastic's good enough that there's people who'll run an Android emulator on their desktop just to use Drastic to emulate their DS collection.

On my PC, I use all of the DS cores available depending on the game; I'd assume that depending on the game, you're not going to want to stick to just one core over the other.
Thanks!

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Is there a good Amiga emulator on retroarch? P-UAE seems to have issues, but I found another Amiga emu core but I have no idea how to instal it. The core itself doesn't appear among the list of downloadable cores from within retroarch.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Does anyone here uses the latest nightly DeSmuME core? I booted up Dragon Quest IX on a whim last night, but it seems to ignore the chosen language both in the firmware and in the core settings. I have the EUR ROM. Instead of booting the game in English, it always boots in Spanish.

- The language in the external BIOS/firmware is set to English, as well as in the core settings.
- The locale on my PC is set to EN-AU (I've tried setting it to EN-US as well, but it doesn't seem to have any effect)
- Loading the ROM in the standalone DeSmuME works fine, it correctly detects English as the chosen language.
- I've tried using the generated firmware.dfc file from the standalone DeSmuME in RetroArch, but the core seems to ignore this file as well since it has no effect.

Any other ideas?

TheMadMan007

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I noticed that there was a Daphne core available in RetroArch and I have spent the last few nights trying to get this to work... Sadly there is ZERO documentation for this core and I have no clue how to get this working. The normal Daphne emulator seems so overly complicated for a old laserdisc game emulator, so I was wondering if anyone has any guides on how to get it working, as this would complete my setup for me.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
SSAA is a game changer for me, replayed and finished Silent Hill and Dino Crisis thanks to it. Using a shader with scanlines is a must for me when enabling it.

I hope an N64 core will adopt this feature as well.

It's tremendous eh? I go back and forth on whether I prefer it or just an internal res bump in fully 3D games, both are lovely regardless. A the very least, 240p SSAA is absolutely the way to go for games with pre-rendered backgrounds. Also in agreement on hoping it hits other emulators for early 3D systems

I really do love the flexibility of the PSX HW core; whether it's using software rendering to use run ahead on 2D+rhythm games or all the benefits the hardware rendering brings (SSAA/internal res bump/PGXP/etc). Just hope overclocking becomes more stable over time, can't quite get Jumping Flash to a locked 60fps but hopefully will down the line :D

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Playing Resident Evil 1 with the Beetle HW emu and when I press Start to go into the menu, non of the textures or images load! Anyone know what causes this and what's a fix for it?

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Beetle HW PSX is broken (at least as of a month or two ago) with certain AMD cards and certain gfx apis.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Can't you already? Just make a few separate Retroarch directories, one for each renderer.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Man, Retroarch will be perfect once you can use different renderers for each core.

Currently, I'm running my shortcuts with '--config retroarch_gl.cfg' or '--config retroarch_vk.cfg' which I admit I dislike.

Ideally, I would love to be able just to set the 'video_driver' config per-core as Rufus has suggested, or per-game as mine preference, since I already made a bunch of it.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey so since there isn't a PCSX2 thread I'm asking here as it seems the closest.

I want to play games at 1080p, but for some reason this isn't working as I remember it.

It always shows the original resolution of the game on top of the window.

But I remember it always used to show 1920x1080 instead..
Now the weird thing is I looked it up and every answer to this problem says "that's normal it always shows the original resolution on top of the window"

Well, except it doesn't, or at least didn't use to do that?

IMG_20190118_030534.jpg

(not my screenshot)

And yeah games look a bit blurry to me when they show the original resolution...

So how do I set up PCSX2 to play games at 1080p (or any other resolution for that matter)

I've already set it to 4x resolution but that doesn't solve the problem (and I ticked on wide-screen hacks too) no matter what I try it always displays the original resolution, and I don't think that's right, as games appear to be really blurry.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
kageroo , the resolution shown in the PCSX2 window title bar is the internal resolution as set in the Gsdx settings. If you want to start the game in 1080p (as in your monitor's native resolution, I assume), simply check the "default to fullscreen mode" option under the Config > Emulation Settings > GS Window.

Alternatively, if you prefer to play in 1080p windowed mode, you can set a custom window size (1920x1080) under GS Window options as well, and leave the "default to fullscreen mode" option unchecked.

A third alternative is to set a custom resolution under Gsdx settings (1920x1080). Although, I can't recommend doing this since you'll lose the benefit of antialiasing when downsampling from a higher internal resolution as far as your graphics card can possibly allow.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
kageroo , the resolution shown in the PCSX2 window title bar is the internal resolution as set in the Gsdx settings. If you want to start the game in 1080p (as in your monitor's native resolution, I assume), simply check the "default to fullscreen mode" option under the Config > Emulation Settings > GS Window.

Alternatively, if you prefer to play in 1080p windowed mode, you can set a custom window size (1920x1080) under GS Window options as well, and leave the "default to fullscreen mode" option unchecked.

A third alternative is to set a custom resolution under Gsdx settings (1920x1080). Although, I can't recommend doing this since you'll lose the benefit of antialiasing when downsampling from a higher internal resolution as far as your graphics card can possibly allow.
I see, thanks.

Although I tried this
"Alternatively, if you prefer to play in 1080p windowed mode, you can set a custom window size (1920x1080) under GS Window options as well, and leave the "default to fullscreen mode" option unchecked."

What it does is to set it to something strange like 1900x1020 instead, even though I typed 1920x1080...

Could also be the version I'm using (1.4)?
I tried 1.5 and it seems to work a bit different in that...

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone familiar with how to set an "Insert Coin" button with Retroarch on Android devices? I'm using a PS3 controller on my Shield TV, and I've read that for MAME, the select button is supposed to be the default for inserting coins. It doesn't seem to be working for me, and I can't find anywhere in the input menus to set that functionality. Another problem is I'm not sure what to do about select being the default back button for the Retroarch UI and if any games actually use the select button.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It could be. The stable 1.4 from the PCSX2 website should be pretty old by now. I'd recommend getting the Nightly version instead since it contains a lot of improvements.
It seems all a bit messy (and I don't really know what settings etc tbh, but it's easy enough to look some up) So in 1.5 Tekken 5 has some rather weird glitches on some stages, I looked it up, consensus seems to be "unfixable" yet in 1.4 these glitches aren't present. And sadly in both versions is some weird input delay / stuttering, even though my framerate counter says 60 all the time, it's borderline unplayable though, really weird (I swear the game has like micro freezes but fps counter doesn't register them lol)

Other games I tried work just fine though.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
It seems all a bit messy (and I don't really know what settings etc tbh, but it's easy enough to look some up) So in 1.5 Tekken 5 has some rather weird glitches on some stages, I looked it up, consensus seems to be "unfixable" yet in 1.4 these glitches aren't present. And sadly in both versions is some weird input delay / stuttering, even though my framerate counter says 60 all the time, it's borderline unplayable though, really weird (I swear the game has like micro freezes but fps counter doesn't register them lol)

Other games I tried work just fine though.

Yeah, PCSX2 has had that framepacing issues for as long as I can remember. Sometimes the OGL renderer works better than its DirectX counterpart though, but it varies from one game to another.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, PCSX2 has had that framepacing issues for as long as I can remember. Sometimes the OGL renderer works better than its DirectX counterpart though, but it varies from one game to another.
Ah I see that's what it is, I thought I was going crazy haha. Oh well, I'll try OGL, but maybe there's another emulator I could try?

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Ah I see that's what it is, I thought I was going crazy haha. Oh well, I'll try OGL, but maybe there's another emulator I could try?

Well, there is Play! , but it's nowhere near enough maturity in terms of games compatibility to even consider switching from PCSX2. If you have an Nvidia GPU, you'll definitely see a bit of improvement when using the OGL renderer. I hardly use the DirectX renderer myself.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to setup the video settings for aspect ratio with integer scaling for Genesis emulation without cutting off the top of the screen in 1080p? When emulating SNES I'm able to find an integer multiplier that looks to be about right aspect ratio wise, but only cuts off modestly on the top and bottom, apparently only in traditional overscan area.

However, trying to do the same when emulating Genesis games ends up with some actual UI elements (for example text in the Castlevania bloodlines being cut off at the top) being offscreen, and the screen looking a bit too narrow (skinny sprites). Using the core aspect ratio looks ok, but is windowed in the middle of the screen which I like to avoid. Might I be stuck having to use non-integer scaling on Genesis? Not a terrible solution, just occasionally makes the CRT shader I like to use look wonky.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
you can just render to 4k and use DSR to scale back to 1080p
(although I'd much rather use non-integer scaling with CRT filter that works with that)

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
you can just render to 4k and use DSR to scale back to 1080p
(although I'd much rather use non-integer scaling with CRT filter that works with that)

Which of the CRT filters works properly with non-integer scaling?

I've tended to stick to Easymode or Hyllian with halation, except for SNES where I use the Royale preset that has the Themaister S-video NTSC shader built in? I wish there was built in READMEs for all the shaders (unless there is and I've just never noticed).

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Any emulator that allows you to load custom textures, though it doesn't mean the libretro cores support it as well. You'll have to Google each you intend to use.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
So this bit from the latest article is interesting....

"RetroArch in its full-fat form would not be possible to be published on the Microsoft Store given all the console emulators. A neutered version bereft of all its emulators might be possible to be published, but it's debatable how many people would be truly interested in that right now. So, Developer Mode is the best compromise/alternative for now."

So does this mean that they could actual release RA with just the homebrew cores intact and leave the door open for the end user to add there own cores via USB and the core update option or the like, i mean they wouldnt be breaking any terms or conditions on emulators as there not including any?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
What's the go to MAME/Arcade emulator on RetroArch? There is one that is just MAME, is this the main one that gets updated?
Any emulator that allows you to load custom textures, though it doesn't mean the libretro cores support it as well. You'll have to Google each you intend to use.
Hmm I see. Thanks for the info, but I think I want to wait and see if various emulators will start applying them into their emus for retroarch natively :X

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
It seems that the screenshot function in v1.7.6 is still resulting in crash to desktop when Vulkan renderer is used. Has anyone here encountered the same issue?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly new to setting up Retroarch and have been messing with shaders. On my Android phone, the shaders seem to be working fine. Scanlines display horizontally. On my PC, the same shader is displaying the scanlines vertically. I have to apply a vertical shader to get horizontal lines on my PC.

What's going on there?

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any experience/insight into properly calibrating brightness and contrast with the 240p test suit using the pluge pattern? I'm confused about the color spaces as I'm trying to use it to get a VGA monitor adjusted and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right or not.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
This new UI is pretty nifty

Tg2devO.png

I first noticed that it's the default one on Switch RA. You can select it on the PC version by doing to Driver>Menu>Ozone. Then restart.