• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
You helped me find that hot key page at least. Can you not bind combos, though? Like with Retropie, by default, the select and start button would exit your game and take you to the game select screen. And for rewind, I could bind say: Select + Up.

When I try and bind more than one button, it just chooses one. And obviously this makes functionality kind of useless on a controller since single button presses generally have in game purposes and you need combos for this.

Sorry for being so dense. I really love how great the games look and sound. Higan + awesome shaders + overlays + super low lag is amazing. I just wish they took a little inspiration from how Retropie (which I maybe incorrectly assumed is using Retroarch) handled settings.

It can get pretty obtuse. I just learned a few things when looking for info on key combinations and hotkeys:
  • The only way to have any key combinations is to set a key/button to the Settings -> Input -> Input Hotkey Binds -> Enable Hotkeys option. If set, this key/button will override all other hotkeys within this menu, so you'll need to hold this key/button + the already set hotkey to activate that action. In turn, the key/button you set for Enable Hotkeys is now "sacrificed" or unusable as a proper key/button, only as a hotkey modifier. So if you set the Select button on your controller, you can no longer use it as a normal Select button. But holding the Select button (if you set it as Enable Hotkeys) + any other hotkey button will activate that hotkey's action, so if you press Select + R, you'll rewind, but just pressing R won't rewind.
  • Pressing Select in a menu actually shows a description of that option (in this case, it explains what the Enable Hotkeys option does)
  • Pressing Start on a hotkey with a set controller button will clear it (for example, if you set the wrong button for Enable Hotkeys, press Start on it while in the menu to clear
You can find all of this info by googling a bit, but man I had no idea about any of this, so it's definitely not the most user friendly way to handle these options.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
It can get pretty obtuse. I just learned a few things when looking for info on key combinations and hotkeys:
  • The only way to have any key combinations is to set a key/button to the Settings -> Input -> Input Hotkey Binds -> Enable Hotkeys option. If set, this key/button will override all other hotkeys within this menu, so you'll need to hold this key/button + the already set hotkey to activate that action. In turn, the key/button you set for Enable Hotkeys is now "sacrificed" or unusable as a proper key/button, only as a hotkey modifier. So if you set the Select button on your controller, you can no longer use it as a normal Select button. But holding the Select button (if you set it as Enable Hotkeys) + any other hotkey button will activate that hotkey's action, so if you press Select + R, you'll rewind, but just pressing R won't rewind.
  • Pressing Select in a menu actually shows a description of that option (in this case, it explains what the Enable Hotkeys option does)
  • Pressing Start on a hotkey with a set controller button will clear it (for example, if you set the wrong button for Enable Hotkeys, press Start on it while in the menu to clear
You can find all of this info by googling a bit, but man I had no idea about any of this, so it's definitely not the most user friendly way to handle these options.

Once again, really appreciate this! Great info. With all the button spamming I did, I can't believe I didn't stumble onto the select tip myself:(

It's not like I didn't look either. I looked for a read me. I spent a bunch of time on the official website looking. And did numerous google searches. Just bad luck on my part. All of my google searches ended up referring to retropie (which I already knew how to do), which only frustrated me more. It was like I was being taunted by my inability to find this most basic of info.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
How is emulation on vita nowadays ? I know the new 3ds was really great at emulation but hey, I don't have one.

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
Mesen, the accurate NES emulator of choice these days, finally got a libretro port. It's not on the buildbot yet, but you can grab a Windows build here: https://www.mesen.ca/MesenLibretro.zip

Right now it has a bug where you get no input if you use ROM hacks that aren't in the emulator's internal database. The default volume is pretty low too. These will probably be fixed pretty quickly.

This core also supports graphics replacement packs, like this one: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25426.0
rockmanjapanen-180105btsrl.png

rockmanjapanen-180105zss6o.png

You just rename the pack folder to match your ROM name (minus the extension) and put it in RetroArch\system\HdPacks

TheMadMan007

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you say "accurate" what does that really mean? I mean, I kinda get it, but what is the point of using the Mesen core, over something like Nestopia, QuickNES, FCEUmm, or bnes?

I've always just went with Nestopia because it was compatible with RetroAchievments and also Netplay. Is there really a distinct difference between Nestpia and Mesen?

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of like the difference between SNES9x and Higan/BSNES. Both run popular games about the same, but there might be subtle things like timing differences that the more accurate one gets right. If you are running it on a PC, there isn't quite as huge a performance difference compared to SNES9x and Higan though. I think that makes it more worthwhile to switch to. Mesen probably runs some obscure bootlegs that Nestopia doesn't. It has a few more core options than Nestopia, like Fake Stereo. I think it's overclocking option might be more compatible than Nestopia, but I'm not sure. Mesen is in much more active development; Nestopia is in maintenance mode at this point (hence the Undead moniker).

The bugs I mentioned are already fixed, achievements were hooked up and there was a commit for savestates that was supposed to make netplay work better. Input lag was reduced one frame, so it's on par with Nestopia there. Ultimately you'll want to play around with it and see if it's worth switching over to for you.

TheMadMan007

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of like the difference between SNES9x and Higan/BSNES. Both run popular games about the same, but there might be subtle things like timing differences that the more accurate one gets right. If you are running it on a PC, there isn't quite as huge a performance difference compared to SNES9x and Higan though. I think that makes it more worthwhile to switch to. Mesen probably runs some obscure bootlegs that Nestopia doesn't. It has a few more core options than Nestopia, like Fake Stereo. I think it's overclocking option might be more compatible than Nestopia, but I'm not sure. Mesen is in much more active development; Nestopia is in maintenance mode at this point (hence the Undead moniker).

The bugs I mentioned are already fixed, achievements were hooked up and there was a commit for savestates that was supposed to make netplay work better. Input lag was reduced one frame, so it's on par with Nestopia there. Ultimately you'll want to play around with it and see if it's worth switching over to for you.
OK, thanks for the info. I do play on PC and it's to play games, not to mess around with fake stereo and play obscure bootlegs and hacks, so it looks like it's not going to benift me from switching. I'd like something that was in active development, but if its such small changes that I'd probably not notice, then I'll just stick with Nestopia (again, unless netplay and save states and stuff get better, and not just on par

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Is there a RetroArch for running on an NDS? I got my old NDS charged up and want to try running some of my Genesis games that I got via Steam on it.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a RetroArch for running on an NDS? I got my old NDS charged up and want to try running some of my Genesis games that I got via Steam on it.

No, and honestly the DS is probably too low power for the made-for-PC Retroarch emulators. There's a lot of good homebrew emulators for the DS though, should be fairly easy to set up.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
No, and honestly the DS is probably too low power for the made-for-PC Retroarch emulators. There's a lot of good homebrew emulators for the DS though, should be fairly easy to set up.
What's the best homebrew software to use atm? I know the NDS isn't that great technically but I kinda wanna make the most of it since I still own it :P

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best homebrew software to use atm? I know the NDS isn't that great technically but I kinda wanna make the most of it since I still own it :P

When I was 12 I could have given you a detailed list, but that was 11 years ago and I don't remember anymore. :/ I know that for SNES the best emulator by far was SNEmulDS, which despite some issues was a massive improvement over prior attempts by other developers. No idea for Genesis though.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
I use RetroArch on PC. I upgraded to RetroArch 1.7.0 the other day and the WASAPI audio driver disappeared. It still appeared selected at first, but the audio crackling made it obvious WASAPI isn't in use, and after changing audio drivers the WASAPI option completely disappeared. I had to revert to 1.6.9 to bring WASAPI back.
Does anyone else have this issue?

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
I use RetroArch on PC. I upgraded to RetroArch 1.7.0 the other day and the WASAPI audio driver disappeared. It still appeared selected at first, but the audio crackling made it obvious WASAPI isn't in use, and after changing audio drivers the WASAPI option completely disappeared. I had to revert to 1.6.9 to bring WASAPI back.
Does anyone else have this issue?
Try a nightly. It's available in my driver settings menu in the recent nightly I'm using.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
So how do I take a screenshot of the menu (xmb) interface? Seems like the hotkey I assign the screenshot function to only applies for the core, and not the menu.

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
So how do I take a screenshot of the menu (xmb) interface? Seems like the hotkey I assign the screenshot function to only applies for the core, and not the menu.
I think you either have to go into windowed mode and alt+printscreen or use an external screenshot tool. If you launch from a Steam shortcut, F12 probably works with the Steam overlay.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Cool. I'll have to give that new release a try. Was going to post a question earlier this morning, but maybe it's addressed under that "shader weird behavior" bit. Basically, even though I'm doing everything correctly, my shaders are not correctly associating themselves to specific cores. And it's created an unusable mess. *finger crossed*

EDIT:

NOPE.

Any good tutorials on how to manually edit the config files? I'm assuming there is one.

I can not set shaders to individual cores using the menu options. It should be applying only to cores, but it doesn't. What ever shader is last used, gets applied to everything.

On a separate issue, I've begun playing around with getting the MAME core working and it's presenting another whopper. The roms flat out refuse to play upon launch. Loading a rom will turn my screen black. If I hit select + F1, I can bring up the options screen and if I hit "Resume Game", then the rom will load. It does this for every single rom, everytime it's loaded.

Last edited:

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else getting consistent crashes with PSSPP core when using the D3D11 frontend?
Everything works when using GL, but the second I switch to D3D11, it just stops working.
No such problems in other cores I tried (Desmume, mGBA, didn't try much more)...
It's a GL core, so it only works with the GL driver.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I am so conflicted by this program. One part is the biggest piece of shit software I've ever used, the other part is one of the most amazing pieces of software I've ever used.

It's just fundamentally broken in the most amazing ways. But the zero latency front-end and amazing CRT-Royale shader keeps me coming back.

I'm going to stick to a single issue and see if I can't resolve this one. Thinking maybe I fucked up a config somewhere, I did a clean install of 1.7.1. The only core I downloaded in this build is MAME 2003. I applied no shaders/overlays/etc. The first time any rom is loaded, the program hangs and I have to control-alt-delete to be able to close the program (running full-screen exclusive). Only on the second load will a ROM actually load. What would explain this? Is it writing some kind of config on the first load? Is there any way to address this with master config rewrites? I had the same issue with my other build, but if I exited out, I could sometimes be given the option if I wanted to run the game with MAME 2003 or Mupen64Plus (which clearly shouldn't be an option for running MAME). So I figured the configs were messed up somehow. But this is a clean build with nothing but the MAME 2003 core installed.

Every single core I've tried running has at least one major issue (minus SNES). But I figure I'll start with the simplest issue and if I can't fix that, then I'll admit defeat and regret ever seeing how awesome it is when it isn't driving me mad.

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
I am so conflicted by this program. One part is the biggest piece of shit software I've ever used, the other part is one of the most amazing pieces of software I've ever used.

It's just fundamentally broken in the most amazing ways. But the zero latency front-end and amazing CRT-Royale shader keeps me coming back.

I'm going to stick to a single issue and see if I can't resolve this one. Thinking maybe I fucked up a config somewhere, I did a clean install of 1.7.1. The only core I downloaded in this build is MAME 2003. I applied no shaders/overlays/etc. The first time any rom is loaded, the program hangs and I have to control-alt-delete to be able to close the program (running full-screen exclusive). Only on the second load will a ROM actually load. What would explain this? Is it writing some kind of config on the first load? Is there any way to address this with master config rewrites? I had the same issue with my other build, but if I exited out, I could sometimes be given the option if I wanted to run the game with MAME 2003 or Mupen64Plus (which clearly shouldn't be an option for running MAME). So I figured the configs were messed up somehow. But this is a clean build with nothing but the MAME 2003 core installed.

Every single core I've tried running has at least one major issue (minus SNES). But I figure I'll start with the simplest issue and if I can't fix that, then I'll admit defeat and regret ever seeing how awesome it is when it isn't driving me mad.

I've never really used Retroarch for MAME roms, wish I could help more. I just tried the MAME core (just listed as MAME, no years, which I think is supposed to be the latest version, says 0.194 so that checks out) and it loaded a game without problem (tried 1943).

I'm searching for more info but I generally get the impression that the MAME cores don't always play nice with Retroarch, and it might depend from version to version (of MAME cores). So apparently the different cores require different romsets:
2003 - 0.78 dll6403
2010 - 0.139 b24b7a2
2014 - 0.159
2016 - 0.174
MAME - newest/current

Still, if MAME loads the game on the second try, there's probably nothing wrong with your ROMs. Apparently the MAME cores require the ROMs and BIOS images in the same folder and that's it, so other than that, I'd recommend trying other versions of MAME cores possibly with newer/different romsets/bios images. Might also be some dumb random thing with choosing a different renderer or other graphics option, some incompatibility with the MAME cores, I really don't know. Depending on which games you wanna play, it might be good to give the FBA cores a try.

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I've never really used Retroarch for MAME roms, wish I could help more. I just tried the MAME core (just listed as MAME, no years, which I think is supposed to be the latest version, says 0.194 so that checks out) and it loaded a game without problem (tried 1943).

I'm searching for more info but I generally get the impression that the MAME cores don't always play nice with Retroarch, and it might depend from version to version (of MAME cores). So apparently the different cores require different romsets:
2003 - 0.78 dll6403
2010 - 0.139 b24b7a2
2014 - 0.159
2016 - ? (can't seem to find the exact info atm)
MAME - newest/current

Still, if MAME loads the game on the second try, there's probably nothing wrong with your ROMs. Apparently the MAME cores require the ROMs and BIOS images in the same folder and that's it, so other than that, I'd recommend trying other versions of MAME cores possibly with newer/different romsets/bios images. Might also be some dumb random thing with choosing a different renderer or other graphics option, some incompatibility with the MAME cores, I really don't know. Depending on which games you wanna play, it might be good to give the FBA cores a try.

I have the .78 roms (MAME 2003) because that's all the Pi is capable of running. They're good ROMs and I don't run any games modern enough that requires its own BIOS.

It should be pointed out I just wanted to limit my frustration to a single point. With the old Retroarch build, a lot of times the default control settings would get messed up too (not sure if it still exists with virgin build). The insert coin button would no longer be mapped to the default setting on the controller (select) and the only way to insert coins would be to hit 5 on the keyboard. Despite no settings being changed.

I'll admit it's kind of stupid to use Retroarch to run MAME, but that CRT-Royale shader is just SOOOO good. That shader + some of those awesome cabinet overlays + glossy monitor and I swear I'm looking at the real thing.

Like I said, it's just the tip of the iceberg though. I've yet to be able to get SoTN to launch on the PSX emulator. The rip is fine because it works flawlessly on the Pi (and I have the correct BIOS). I can't get PSX to run at all (although I have enough problems with the program and that's on the backburner).

I was just hoping that there was some master config that was messing all this up. Because, like I said, those shaders and no lag front end are absolutely amazing. But I absolutely get why people who get Retroarch set up and working NEVER touch the settings (or updates) again. I'd do the same thing if I ever got close to that stage.

TheMadMan007

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have the .78 roms (MAME 2003) because that's all the Pi is capable of running. They're good ROMs and I don't run any games modern enough that requires its own BIOS.

It should be pointed out I just wanted to limit my frustration to a single point. With the old Retroarch build, a lot of times the default control settings would get messed up too (not sure if it still exists with virgin build). The insert coin button would no longer be mapped to the default setting on the controller (select) and the only way to insert coins would be to hit 5 on the keyboard. Despite no settings being changed.

I'll admit it's kind of stupid to use Retroarch to run MAME, but that CRT-Royale shader is just SOOOO good. That shader + some of those awesome cabinet overlays + glossy monitor and I swear I'm looking at the real thing.

Like I said, it's just the tip of the iceberg though. I've yet to be able to get SoTN to launch on the PSX emulator. The rip is fine because it works flawlessly on the Pi (and I have the correct BIOS). I can't get PSX to run at all (although I have enough problems with the program and that's on the backburner).

I was just hoping that there was some master config that was messing all this up. Because, like I said, those shaders and no lag front end are absolutely amazing. But I absolutely get why people who get Retroarch set up and working NEVER touch the settings (or updates) again. I'd do the same thing if I ever got close to that stage.

I'll try to phrase this as nicely as possible. There is clearly something wrong with your setup. I've used RetroArch for years, and in multiple environments and systems, and set it up for others as well, and I've never come across any issues you've talked about.

1st things first, if you are going to be working with MAME at all, whether its stand alone or RetroArch, get the newest romset. Most people who have issues, have issues because they are using builds from 2003 and stuff. It doesn't matter if you don't think it needs a BIOS, there are a lot of old games that use certain roms and bios sets even if they are early 80's, it doesn't matter if its modern or not, that is why it's imperative to get a full set. Go to PleasureDome and get the newest set. That will probably fix your issue instantly.

2nd, This really isn't the best place for getting help with RetroArch as I've seen it's rarely ever commented on. The RetroArch official forums are a mess for the most part, but can help out in a pinch, but Personally I frequent the LaunchBox forums, LaunchBox is a FrontEnd that works insanely well with RetroArch and really easy to use, and most people use it for most of the normal systems. I just suggest them over any other forum because you'll get support for every major emulator in minutes usually, It's a great community with lots of helpful people and much better than the asshats over at Hyperspin where their motto is "If I spent over 1,000 hours setting this up, I'm sure as hell not telling you how to do it"

That being said, You'll mainly hear "don't use RetroArch for MAME" from almost everyone, I actually was told this a few days ago when I asked about and Issue with the MAME core I was using, but it's not really a big deal. I think proper MAME sucks as there are so many different forks of the software and there are nag screens and no nag screens and x64 versions and GUI versions and all that. it's so convoluted and RetroArch really is a great allinone type of setup that I use, although it IS a little bit more of a hassle to set it up correctly, but with a little time and patience it'll work basically flawlessly with most games that people want to play.

Hopefully that helped out some and again, I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, but I can almost bet money it's an issue with your romset over something in RetroArch. Having updated Romsets really do make a huge difference with MAME.

As for your PSX issue, again, it COULD be your roms, or more likely your core. Just because it runs on Pi, doesn't mean it'll run on everything else. Use the "Beetle PSX Hardware" core/Mednefen HW core. Don't mess with anything else, it's not worth it. If you use the proper core and roms (usually the No-Intro set) RetroArch will work very very well.

Don't believe the "Never touch the settings, it'll break" stuff either. 20+ years of IT has taught me, the people who say that, don't know what they are doing in the first place and are the ones screwing something up on their own, they just don't want to admit it and blame it on the program. A bad worker blames his tools. Computers don't magically change settings and break things for no reason.

Hope that helps and again, chekout the LaunchBox forums for more help, they are insanely helpful and nice and know what they are talking about.

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I'll try to phrase this as nicely as possible. There is clearly something wrong with your setup. I've used RetroArch for years, and in multiple environments and systems, and set it up for others as well, and I've never come across any issues you've talked about.

1st things first, if you are going to be working with MAME at all, whether its stand alone or RetroArch, get the newest romset. Most people who have issues, have issues because they are using builds from 2003 and stuff. It doesn't matter if you don't think it needs a BIOS, there are a lot of old games that use certain roms and bios sets even if they are early 80's, it doesn't matter if its modern or not, that is why it's imperative to get a full set. Go to PleasureDome and get the newest set. That will probably fix your issue instantly.

2nd, This really isn't the best place for getting help with RetroArch as I've seen it's rarely ever commented on. The RetroArch official forums are a mess for the most part, but can help out in a pinch, but Personally I frequent the LaunchBox forums, LaunchBox is a FrontEnd that works insanely well with RetroArch and really easy to use, and most people use it for most of the normal systems. I just suggest them over any other forum because you'll get support for every major emulator in minutes usually, It's a great community with lots of helpful people and much better than the asshats over at Hyperspin where their motto is "If I spent over 1,000 hours setting this up, I'm sure as hell not telling you how to do it"

That being said, You'll mainly hear "don't use RetroArch for MAME" from almost everyone, I actually was told this a few days ago when I asked about and Issue with the MAME core I was using, but it's not really a big deal. I think proper MAME sucks as there are so many different forks of the software and there are nag screens and no nag screens and x64 versions and GUI versions and all that. it's so convoluted and RetroArch really is a great allinone type of setup that I use, although it IS a little bit more of a hassle to set it up correctly, but with a little time and patience it'll work basically flawlessly with most games that people want to play.

Hopefully that helped out some and again, I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, but I can almost bet money it's an issue with your romset over something in RetroArch. Having updated Romsets really do make a huge difference with MAME.

As for your PSX issue, again, it COULD be your roms, or more likely your core. Use the "Beetle PSX Hardware" core/Mednefen HW core. Don't mess with anything else, it's not worth it. If you use the proper core and roms (usually the No-Intro set) RetroArch will work very very well. Hope that helps and again, chekout the LaunchBox forums for more help, they are insanely helpful and nice and know what they are talking about.

Appreciate the effort and I'll keep plugging away. For the record, Mednefen HW core is what I'm using. The MAME bit is a bit weird, because I'm not using some oddball MAME set. .78 and MAME 2003 is the most popular romset in existence. Retropie is a heck of a lot more popular than people using Retroarch on PC and Retropie is way too weak to be dealing with the newer Romsets (2003 is its default core). It's not like I'm trying to run the .78 roms on a newer version of MAME (which obviously creates massive issues and rarely works). I'm simply trying to get the most popular combo in existence to run without being so eccentric (and was hoping it was some goofy config that could address this). I don't want to download a newer romset because there's literally nothing in those versions that I want. I don't want to dig through 1000s of titles of crap just to get the 80s stuff that was already running flawlessly before MAME hit .78.

It was more of an example highlighting my frustration (and something I was really hoping was some undocumented config thing). Retropie is 100X more usable than Retroarch for the PC and the documentation is so much better, but retropie means you're stuck using the pi:(

P.S. Mame is a lot simpler than you're giving it credit for. The nag screens in MAME should be turned off with a simple setting. Things like Mame32 (later to be replaced with MAMEUI) were just graphical front ends for Mame proper. Obviously Retroarch wouldn't need these UI versions, since it's the graphical front-end. As for the massive amount of versions, many people really don't care about the newer stuff and therefore just stick to the old. MAME only has a couple version that anyone cares about and they're considered the reference sets. It's pretty much MAME 2000, 2003, 2010, and a couple newer versions that are considered the reference builds. These romsets are incredibly easy to find and have been archived for their significance. I assume the MAME option in Retroarch is downloading the latest version of MAME (which varies by the week), but that's an option in insanity. That's a guaranteed way to have your roms constantly break. Only the masochist would go that route when you have the options of 2000/2003/2010 to choose from.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
One thing I could think of that may help you with the Mednafen core was that it's extremely particular with the BIOS version it uses, so the first thing I did was to check the hash values of the BIOSes. Other than that, checking the hash values of your ISOs on redump might be useful as well, since sometimes I found certain ISO will load in ePSXe even with a wrong hash value, but will not load in Mednafen.

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
I assume the MAME option in Retroarch is downloading the latest version of MAME (which varies by the week), but that's an option in insanity. That's a guaranteed way to have your roms constantly break. Only the masochist would go that route when you have the options of 2000/2003/2010 to choose from.
It's based on the latest stable release, which comes out monthly. And lately the games I play pretty rarely have updated ROMs. CPS2 and Neogeo stuff has been pretty stable, for example. I usually go through the process of launching each game to make sure they work when I update, which is a bit time consuming. I've paired down my arcade collection to around 50 games now though, so it's much faster than when I had almost 300. I don't update every time there is a new stable release; I've been skimming the changelogs for improvements for games I like or new working games (Akai Katana was a nice addition recently). It's really not that hard to keep MAME up to date once you get the process down and the emulation improvements are often worth it.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I could think of that may help you with the Mednafen core was that it's extremely particular with the BIOS version it uses, so the first thing I did was to check the hash values of the BIOSes. Other than that, checking the hash values of your ISOs on redump might be useful as well, since sometimes I found certain ISO will load in ePSXe even with a wrong hash value, but will not load in Mednafen.

Interesting. I'll look into that. I haven't spent much time on PSX. The most frustrating part is that, in the lower left hand of the screen, in white letters, is the name of the emulator core build. And that stays on the screen while I'm attempting to load the ROM. So all of the yellow text that gets displayed while attempting to load, also displays on top of that white text. So even when it fails to load, I can't tell what the yellow messages are since it becomes a garbled mess of white and yellow text. It'd probably be a lot easier to figure out if I could actually read what the loading messages were.

It's based on the latest stable release, which comes out monthly. And lately the games I play pretty rarely have updated ROMs. CPS2 and Neogeo stuff has been pretty stable, for example. I usually go through the process of launching each game to make sure they work when I update, which is a bit time consuming. I've paired down my arcade collection to around 50 games now though, so it's much faster than when I had almost 300. I don't update every time there is a new stable release; I've been skimming the changelogs for improvements for games I like or new working games (Akai Katana was a nice addition recently). It's really not that hard to keep MAME up to date once you get the process down and the emulation improvements are often worth it.

Yeah. Stripping it down to the bare essentials would probably be the easiest thing, but part of me understands how everyone has that obscure title that brings back floods of memories. So I kind of like the idea of keeping titles I have no interest in, on that off chance. It certainly would be easier if I tailored it only to things I had any interest in. And I've stripped it down already. But even taking a hacksaw to that list still yields a lot.

Last edited:

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I'll look into that. I haven't spent much time on PSX. The most frustrating part is that, in the lower left hand of the screen, in white letters, is the name of the emulator core build. And that stays on the screen while I'm attempting to load the ROM. So all of the yellow text that gets displayed while attempting to load, also displays on top of that white text. So even when it fails to load, I can't tell what the yellow messages are since it becomes a garbled mess of white and yellow text. It'd probably be a lot easier to figure out if I could actually read what the loading messages were.

Had that kind of problem with the Beetle PSX core, especially with EU games because I didn't have the exact BIOS version the emulator wanted. I'll quote myself from earlier in this thread:
I've lately been using Retroarch with the Beetle PSX core (Mednafen's name for the libretro fork), haven't had any performance problems so far. Once you run Retroarch, from the main menu choose Online Updater -> Core Updater and choose PlayStation (Beetle PSX). Retroarch will download and upack the core. You'll also need PS1 BIOS binaries which you should put in the "system" folder inside Retroarch's root folder. I've actually had some problems with this recently as Retroarch wouldn't load certain PS1 games until I realized that it was only the European games (just loaded into a black screen), so it seems the Beetle PSX core is a bit picky about which BIOS versions it wants. They also need to be named "SCPH5500.bin", "SCPH5501.bin" and "SCPH5502.bin", those being the JP, USA and EU versions respectively. I believe the actual BIOS versions that worked on Beetle PSX for me are listed here, near the bottom of the page under "Alternative BIOS files", namely the ps-30j, ps-30a and ps30e (versions 3.0). Won't post any links but you should be able to find some with the info in this post.

As for the OSD notifications, you should be able to change their color by going into Settings - Onscreen Display - Onscreen Notifications and change the colors, or better yet just turn on Notification Background Enable which puts a black rectangle under the letters by default.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Anyone able to help me out? I'm new to emulation.

I had Panzer Dragoon Saga up and running with Mednafen (1.21.0) but now whenever I drag the games .cue file onto the Mednafen.exe to run I get the following:

Error opening file ".........../mednafen.lck": Permission denied
I can't find out what a .lck file is, nor why it's popped up in the Mednafen folder and stopping any games to load.

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone able to help me out? I'm new to emulation.

I had Panzer Dragoon Saga up and running with Mednafen (1.21.0) but now whenever I drag the games .cue file onto the Mednafen.exe to run I get the following:

Error opening file ".........../mednafen.lck": Permission denied
I can't find out what a .lck file is, nor why it's popped up in the Mednafen folder and stopping any games to load.

I've never used Mednafen standalone so not sure about any specifics there (can't find what this .lck file is either) but the "permission denied" error sounds like maybe the emulator can't access a folder due to your operating system user not having adequate permissions to access or change the needed files or folders for whatever reason. You can check out this short video to change the permissions for Mednafen's folder: https://youtu.be/ytmYVbMEsGg?t=42
You could also try to run Mednafen as administrator (right click on Mednafen.exe - Properties - Compatibility tab - Run this program as an administrator - Apply and then try again.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
but the "permission denied" error sounds like maybe the emulator can't access a folder due to your operating system user not having adequate permissions to access or change the needed files or folders for whatever reason.

Yeah that was my first thought. Madnafen is already set to run as administrator and the .lck file also has all permissions ticked off in the security tab.

I'll uninstall the whole bunch and try again with a fresh install and hope it doesn't repeat itself. One of those things where everything is working fine until I restart the PC and everything brakes.

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that was my first thought. Madnafen is already set to run as administrator and the .lck file also has all permissions ticked off in the security tab.

I'll uninstall the whole bunch and try again with a fresh install and hope it doesn't repeat itself. One of those things where everything is working fine until I restart the PC and everything brakes.

Some kind of combination of how Mednafen's executable works and your OS security/user options are set might possibly create issues but I'm not really sure how. You should also probably set full permissions to the folder and not just the .lck if you haven't already. One other thing is that you should add a user/group called "Everyone" in the same settings and give full permissions to that folder for that "user" as well, as it's sometimes helped me resolve similar issues.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
It could be Windows' UAC mucking things up again. This could happen if you install RetroArch/Mednafen in C:\Program Files\ even though you're already in the Administrators group. Best to steer clear out of that directory and install it elsewhere. Better yet, use the .zip distribution file instead so that it's portable.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Some kind of combination of how Mednafen's executable works and your OS security/user options are set might possibly create issues

Thought I'd pop into Bitdefender just in case and sure enough there's Mednafen listed under blocked applications. Allowed it and now everything is fine, I always forget the most obvious solution...

Thanks for suggestions regardless.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
What happened to the option to toggle GPU screenshots? The option in the cfg file still seems to work, but the option in the GUI seems to have gone away.

(I didn't just notice this; I noticed many months back, but forgot to bring it up)

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I can't quite seem to be able to add SNES or Genesis games to my console-specific libraries. I scan the directory where all the games are, but nothing seemed to happen. The only console I've gotten this to work with is the NES.

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
What happened to the option to toggle GPU screenshots? The option in the cfg file still seems to work, but the option in the GUI seems to have gone away.

(I didn't just notice this; I noticed many months back, but forgot to bring it up)

Just checked, still there, Settings - Video - fourth option from the bottom. Using 1.7.0 on Windows 7

I can't quite seem to be able to add SNES or Genesis games to my console-specific libraries. I scan the directory where all the games are, but nothing seemed to happen. The only console I've gotten this to work with is the NES.

You should use No-Intro romsets for the Retroarch playlists - https://docs.libretro.com/guides/roms-playlists-thumbnails/#retroarch-playlist-scanner.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any way to force the mouse cursor to stick to Retroarch window?
I have a dual screen setup and I've been trying to play Picross 3D using mouse - I tend to inadvertently move the mouse cursor to the second screen which pauses the gameplay after each click...

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to force the mouse cursor to stick to Retroarch window?
I have a dual screen setup and I've been trying to play Picross 3D using mouse - I tend to inadvertently move the mouse cursor to the second screen which pauses the gameplay after each click...
Does the grab mouse hotkey work? I think it's F11 by default.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
This one works, thanks, but isn't ideal, as the mouse state isn't being retained between sessions. Not seeing a cfg option to have that enabled by default as well.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Further query: Is there a way to autoload cheat file on startup? I'm not seeing any commandline or GUI options for that, naming the cht file to match the ROM also doesn't seem to work...