• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMadMan007

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there some reason that the Cirta Canary build isn't working for me? It works fine with the normal Citra core, but if load up any game in the Canary build, it doesn't want to work at all. Do I have to have a different rom type?

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone seen this before? Emulating dot crawl. Goes through the process of how it can be achieved.

bCXAGei.gif

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone seen this before? Emulating dot crawl. Goes through the process of how it can be achieved.

bCXAGei.gif

That's pretty awesome. I believe some of the NTSC shaders in Retroarch simulate this, and MAME also has YIQ parameters in its own shader pipeline that simulates these kinds of artifacts. I've been using the "crtglow_gauss_ntsc_3phase" shader in Retroarch for a while now and it's one of my favorite shaders because of the heavily analog look it produces.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That Runahead feature is pretty incredible.
You would think something like this would lead to more discussion.

It's a little sad this thread is so quiet, because development of Retroarch seems to be going at a steady pace and they're working on some interesting features.
I look forward to that new UI for desktop computers, as navigating the menu's on PC can be somewhat of a chore.
Thanks for keeping us updated PGamer, appreciate it.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know why using retroarch through streaming with Steam Link prevents throttle/fast forward from working? Throttling works just fine when I stream to my Shield Portable, but not with my Steam Link

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I've downloaded this on my Mac laptop to play games off my external HD, but everything seems to install in my system drive. Is it possible to have it run 100% on an external?

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017

Just tried out the new WIMP GUI, it's pretty neat, it brings the experience closer to something like a MAME GUI with much easier playlist visibility and a search function so it's pretty great.

I've downloaded this on my Mac laptop to play games off my external HD, but everything seems to install in my system drive. Is it possible to have it run 100% on an external?

Looking at the download section for Mac, there doesn't seem to be a standalone version of Retroarch (it does for Windows) so I'm guessing it might be possible to transfer all the files to an external HDD and set all essential paths to custom folders in Settings - Directory, with relative paths (pointing to a general folder structure rather than a specific drive), but I'm not sure. These threads might help:
https://forums.libretro.com/t/transferring-retroarch-to-external-hard-drive/5961
https://forums.libretro.com/t/retroarch-on-external-hard-drive/15614/3

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Just tried out the new WIMP GUI, it's pretty neat, it brings the experience closer to something like a MAME GUI with much easier playlist visibility and a search function so it's pretty great.

Looking at the download section for Mac, there doesn't seem to be a standalone version of Retroarch (it does for Windows) so I'm guessing it might be possible to transfer all the files to an external HDD and set all essential paths to custom folders in Settings - Directory, with relative paths (pointing to a general folder structure rather than a specific drive), but I'm not sure. These threads might help:
https://forums.libretro.com/t/transferring-retroarch-to-external-hard-drive/5961
https://forums.libretro.com/t/retroarch-on-external-hard-drive/15614/3

Awesome. Thank you.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Pardon my question but what's the name of the Medanfen Sega saturn emulator/core that I can add into Retroarch?

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I need help understanding black levels when it comes to emulators. PC are full RGB, but are retro consoles like the NES and PS1 full as well?

What I want to know is if I have my PC hooked to my TV, and I have to set my TV to full RGB, are the games being emulated by Retroarch have the correct rgb level? (no black crush or grey blacks)

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I need help understanding black levels when it comes to emulators. PC are full RGB, but are retro consoles like the NES and PS1 full as well?

What I want to know is if I have my PC hooked to my TV, and I have to set my TV to full RGB, are the games being emulated by Retroarch have the correct rgb level? (no black crush or grey blacks)
The consideration here isn't what the consoles output, but what Retroarch outputs. Retroarch's output is the same as what your video card is set to output, which is probably full by default.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I have Gen Plus installed via RetroArch, but wanted to ask how one could edit the video options like if I wanted to add in scanlines etc.

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
I have Gen Plus installed via RetroArch, but wanted to ask how one could edit the video options like if I wanted to add in scanlines etc.

It's probably best to load in shaders that best fit the style you're looking for, like a CRT shader. Load the game you want to play, press F1 to enter the Quick Menu and go down to Shaders, Load Shader Preset and find one you like from Retroarch's Shaders folder. The CG, GLSL, SLANG etc. are all different shading languages that do the same thing basically, just maybe more appropriate for different renderers, but I think going with GLSL shaders is a safe bet.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Decided to try some of the ROMs from the updated Steam Genesis collection in Retroarch and noticed there are like five different FM Synthesis options in Genesis Plus GX. Does anyone have any opinion on the best to use or what tends to be the most accurate? Since I never owned an actual Genesis or Mega Drive accept for a Model 2 I bought a few years back I can't really appreciate the differences between the Models if that's all these different options are doing I guess, though.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to try some of the ROMs from the updated Steam Genesis collection in Retroarch and noticed there are like five different FM Synthesis options in Genesis Plus GX. Does anyone have any opinion on the best to use or what tends to be the most accurate? Since I never owned an actual Genesis or Mega Drive accept for a Model 2 I bought a few years back I can't really appreciate the differences between the Models if that's all these different options are doing I guess, though.
"Accurate" on this subject is a bit hazy, because the model 1 and model 2 Genesis sound very different from each other. If you're like me and prefer the sound of the model 1 Genesis, you want the Nuked YM2612 option with stereo enabled and low pass set to 55%.

For model 2, I'm not sure of the specific settings, but many model 2 Genesis systems had an ASIC YM3438 instead.

Last edited:

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Updating Retroarch for the first time, do I just drag and drop the entire archive's contents into my existing install? (Since there's no automatic updater). Will it wipe out my settings and library?

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
Updating Retroarch for the first time, do I just drag and drop the entire archive's contents into my existing install? (Since there's no automatic updater). Will it wipe out my settings and library?

It shouldn't wipe any settings or playlists etc. Even though I've updated Retroarch a few times like this already, I still feel a bit iffy and insecure whether it'll screw something up, although I haven't had any problems so far. You could backup your Retroarch folder just in case but I think it's fine to overwrite everything with the new files since all configurations are stored in separate files afaik.

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
I usually make a backup of the .exe and copy the new .exe in. If it's been awhile and it complains about missing .dlls, I move all the existing .dll files into a backup folder and copy over the ones from the latest redist.zip. That way I know none of my configs and shaders are touched. I do have to remember to also update my assets for the xmb interface once in awhile too (I also do that manually :P). Since the new QT (F5) launcher interface was added, a few folders were added to the redist, but you don't need them if you don't use it.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to move my Shining Force save to the Android version to continue playing it there, but I can't get the game to show my save at the menu, even after setting the location in the Directories menu. I'm kind of new to using this program, so I'm not sure if I'm missing something.

Crab Battle

Apr 27, 2018
It's probably best to load in shaders that best fit the style you're looking for, like a CRT shader. Load the game you want to play, press F1 to enter the Quick Menu and go down to Shaders, Load Shader Preset and find one you like from Retroarch's Shaders folder. The CG, GLSL, SLANG etc. are all different shading languages that do the same thing basically, just maybe more appropriate for different renderers, but I think going with GLSL shaders is a safe bet.
Any of them can be used with software rendering, but for hardware rendering, CG, GLSL and Slang will only work with D3D (which no core currently uses AFAIK), GL and Vulkan, respectively. (And if you're on a Mac, many GLSL shaders won't work at all due to using version 130 of GLSL, which Apple skipped over for some reason. There are also a few that require GLSL versions associated with GL versions higher than Apple supports.)

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
OK gonna be buying a Galaxy S9+ and will be installing RetroArch. I take it that up til the PSOne generation, emulation on the device is fine? Does Dreamcast emulation run well with Android?

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
You can do PSP as well.

For DC, check out Reicast (standalone; the libretro core is outdated, I believe) or Redream (closed source, paid). Dunno how compatible either are.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I've been using Ganbatte emu for Gameboy games, is there a better emu to use alternatively atm?

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best way to get some NTSC filtering for SNES games? The Blargg filters are actually options on Genesis Plus GX, but for SNES I've always had to use the CPU filters that are in the higher-level video settings (and turn them off when playing another console). However, they don't seem to be working anymore since I downloaded 1.7.3. Do they only work with a certain video driver? I've tried GL and D3D11. This is all on a Windows PC btw.

If there's a newer way to get proper NTSC filtering for SNES games I'm all ears as well, that's just always the way I've done it. I set the NTSC filtering and then overlay that with a CRT shader.

Last edited:

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
I've never really used the filters, only shaders, and I often like to use "crtglow_gauss_ntsc_3phase" (the GLSL version since I'm using GL as renderer), it's in the "retroarch\shaders\crt" folder, or you could also try some shaders from the "retroarch\shaders\ntsc" folder.

If for some reason you don't have the shaders, you can download them from the Online Updater option in the Main Menu, and activate them from the Quick Menu once you load a game (in this case a SNES ROM), just load a shader, find it in the folder and select Apply Shader and that should be it (in case you didn't know all of this already).

celebi23

Oct 26, 2017
Got a few questions. Here's my current "Super Game Boy" preset:
https://pastebin.com/yK6Amv9k

Everything works except it's too dark. Can I graft some of the Game Boy Light's backlight work onto my custom preset?

If not, what preset would be best for mimicking the tv's shown in this SpaceWorld '97 video?

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any interpolation setting in RA that eliminates or lessens the scrolling shimmering effect when in 4:3 mode on NES/SNES (similar to how the SNES classic does it in 4:3 mode)?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-nintendo-classic-mini-super-nes-system-review
In particular, the 4:3 option avoids the scaling artefacts that plagued the NES mini. This stems from the horizontal resolution - on a CRT, which does not rely on a fixed pixel grid, the 8:7 aspect ratio is smoothly stretched to fill a 4:3 display resulting in non-square pixels. On a digital fixed pixel display, however, this can introduce artefacts while scrolling, creating visible shimmering which was an issue on the NES mini. For the Super NES mini, however, the team has implemented a very subtle interpolation feature which still preserves its sharp pixels but minimises the issue with left-right lateral movement.

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any interpolation setting in RA that eliminates or lessens the scrolling shimmering effect when in 4:3 mode on NES/SNES (similar to how the SNES classic does it in 4:3 mode)?

Yep, you want to use the pixellate shader which is in the retro shader folder, it's fantastic with a 1462x1200 aspect ratio for nes and snes.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having some trouble setting up Retroarch on a new Windows 10 PC. At first, I had no sound whatsoever (and yes I had audio enabled and mute audio disabled). Then I changed from xaudio to daudio, and audio started working in games, but the menu is still silent/muted, despite me having enabled menu audio. Which isn't a huge deal, but was annoying while troubleshooting.

The BSNES mercury and PPSSPP cores are working fine. I only have one Wii game available, and that causes the Dolphin core to CTD. I tried three different Saturn games with the Saturn Beetle core. One loads to an "empty drive" message on the config screen, one loads to a "2 tracks" message on the config screen, and one causes a CTD. All three PSX games I've tried cause CTDs for both PSX Beetle and PSX Beetle HW, and that's after trying two different sets of BIOS files. And yes, I put them in the system folder. I've spent over an hour on Google trying to solve these problems, but a lot of the documentation I'm finding is out of date/contradictory. Can anyone point me in the right direction on maybe what file formats (iso?/bin?/img?) are most likely to work or not work with these cores, or exactly which BIOS files I need and what they need to be named? I'll edit my post if I'm even going over the line mentioning BIOS files, but I own a PSX, two PS2s, two PS3s, and two PSPs, so it's not like I can't legally play PSX games.

I always thought PCSX2 was obnoxious and fiddly to get working, but it seems idiot-proof compared to this....