• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what kind of budget you are looking at, but I have one of these and a framemeister. He only takes orders a few times a year, but it was worth it.
http://retrorgb.com/gscartsw.html

All of these system are ready to play and the RGB modded ones auto switch. I had to get a tuner module (thing at the bottom with red lights) for the older RF systems. I will put more pictures in the gaming 2017 setup thread

Retro2.jpg

I LOVE that case you have all your systems on, and the lighting behind it is great. Cable management looks amazing too, I don't see any of it. Which is one of the biggest issues with my current setup.

I'll add in a couple images of myset up, which I don't fully consider done. One of these days I need to pull everything out and rewire everything much better.

This is where most of my systems live, and all my retro one. I also need to move the few S-Video and one composite system I have over to my big pelican switcher, I don't know why I original thought a switcher just for them made more sense.

36229802324_2f8d68879d_k.jpg

This weekend my gscartsw_lite just came in and got it added into the set up with a for now cable till the one from retrogamingcables comes in.

24344716548_8d84bd0917_k.jpg

My current gen systems and other AV equipment live in the center just below the tv. Where the vita is in this shot is now a PSTV. I also need to get a new HDMI switcher, the one currently there is an older one as the one I got from Monoprice at the end of 2015 died on me. Currently researching before deciding on one.

36274424950_49a104961a_k.jpg

And this is something I love to show off. I'm a big vertical shooter fan and in February of this year I used some tax refund money to order a special wallmount that would let me rotate my tv into portrait mode for some sweet sweet tate action.

33303054892_339f6d7157_k.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Superblatt

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
In all of the pictures of amazing game rooms I've seen over the years, I've never seen a mounted and rotatable tate monitor. Absolutely awesome.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you guys! It took me a long time of looking and saving up for the right wall mount to be able to do that.

CountZero

Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on using a Framemeister or OSSC with a PS2 (for PS2 and PS1 games). I'd like to do gameplay capture with those consoles, ideally without going through emulation and I'd rather get the output through HDMI than through having to use the Component adapter for my older Elgato.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
FirebrandX actually just updated his PS2 profiles for the framemeister and they're pretty awesome.

drtomoe123

Nov 1, 2017
the Bay Area
I'm so happy to find this thread!

I've come back to my collection after moving back home, but I'm excited to get all of my stuff out and set up somewhere.

I'm also at the point where I'm trying to figure out what I want to do next. What are some of the big games/white whales that have been on your mind? I always think about how cool it would be to get a boxed Survival Kids or Azure Dreams for GBC. I've got most of the PS1/PS2 stuff I could ever want so I feel like I want to try to pick up stuff on Gameboy or Saturn or something.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Hi RetroEra, happy to be here. I am the delighted owner of a brand new OSSC. Even in the default mode, it is markedly better than the Framemeister I was using previously. Got my original SNES connected through RGB with an 8bitdo wireless pad, and it's the best I've ever seen it look on an LCD. Framemeister's lag was just enough to ruin the experience in a few games. That is no longer an issue.

Next on my retro quest, is to get a Gamecube with Gameboy Player. Anyone using a Gamecube with an OSSC? Is the official expensive component cable the best option?
This question is better suited for the Retro AV Thread! Join the party.
Jealous of your OSSC, I'm waiting for mine in the mail!

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
With 16-bit FPGA seemingly ready for prime time how long until analogue makes something that plays CPS and Neo Geo level games? I wonder if they'll go back to that CMVS well, lol.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With 16-bit FPGA seemingly ready for prime time how long until analogue makes something that plays CPS and Neo Geo level games? I wonder if they'll go back to that CMVS well, lol.

I suppose it depends on how far along Kevtris is on that front. No one else seems to go as far as he does with FPGA tech. Even other FPGA offerings fall short of all the features that Kevtris includes.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
i figure this is a good place to ask but is anyone planning on doing seperate PSP and PPSSPP OT's? i asked the OP of the PSP OT on the other site and they said they didn't really plan on it because they were focused with other stuff

i thought i'd try and make my own but i don't really have any idea what to put in them and i didn't want to copy the originals but then again i figure after 20 or so posts the OP probably won't be seen apart from new people entering the thread

it feels really weird to be considering something like PSP retro

OP
OP
Superblatt

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Yeah that someone was me, and I posted it in this thread but seems thread-starter didnt see it.

I added it to the OP, didn't see that it was created previously.
i figure this is a good place to ask but is anyone planning on doing seperate PSP and PPSSPP OT's? i asked the OP of the PSP OT on the other site and they said they didn't really plan on it because they were focused with other stuff

i thought i'd try and make my own but i don't really have any idea what to put in them and i didn't want to copy the originals but then again i figure after 20 or so posts the OP probably won't be seen apart from new people entering the thread

it feels really weird to be considering something like PSP retro

If you feel there is a demand for a PSP community, I say go for it. My only concern would be that there isn't a demand for it, lol. Poor PSP.

hutna

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any word on if krikzz will be doing a Black Friday sale like last year?

No Onions

Nov 8, 2017
Good to see all the retro threads here, this is my first post on the new site here. I was slow coming over from the old site because I've been so busy at work for the last 6 weeks.

I was Saroyan over there, but changed my name to what I use most everywhere else now. I didn't post a ton at the old site but read a lot.

I'm mostly into collecting lately it seems, since I haven't really had a lot of time to sit down and play, that should change this winter. Although I had some fun with my Neo Geo this weekend since I reworked the RGB out on my DIY supergun that I built in 2002 and installed a Tim Worthington AV Driver board. I played through Metal Slug X and it now looks amazing on my BVM with correct RGB levels, the brightness was blown out before because the voltage levels were too high.

As far as what I collect, I finished my NES licensed set minus Stadium Events this year and I also collect for SNES, Genesis, PCE/Turbo, Saturn, PS1, PS2 and some Neo Geo MVS.

I've also got a pretty cool piece of retro hardware on the way to me from Japan via Yahoo auctions, pretty excited about it, I'll have to post some pics when it arrives.

No Onions

Nov 8, 2017
Speaking of which, I'm thinking about putting together a Retro Japanese PC OT. I doubt there's enough interest for a sustained community but it might be a good idea to have a catchall resource for this sort of thing outside of gamesx and NFGGames.

Well I would certainly like to see a thread about that, especially since I can't access the nfggames forum at work for some reason. Also the gamesx wiki has a lot of info but the organization of it can be a little hard to navigate.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Figured you guys would appreciate this haul from letgo I got last weekend.

37704943555_5c38c058db_k.jpg

The coleco includes everything, and I tested it out at my friend's place, since I currently have no way to play RF consoles. Time to start looking into RGB or composite modding the coleco and 5200.

No Onions

Nov 8, 2017
Cross posting from the Japanese retro computer thread, here is my new project, a Sharp X68000 XVI

KEzUXlf.jpg

It needs the caps replaced and some plastic repair from where the left side cover got cracked in shipping, but I'm excited to get it working!

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
holy crap, came on here to see if there's an SNES thread to ask about MSU-1 stuff, and we don't have one?! that can't be right!

can anyone point me to the MSU-1 file for Contra III, since the link from the portugese blog seems to be the only dead file they had, sadly. loving this SD2SNES now!

Last edited:

Umibozu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Sega does what Nintendon't

of course - that's why i bought a mega everdrive in 2014 & didn't get this one till now, haha

PS i finally found this classic sega gashapon of space harrier i'd been looking for forever - turns out it was a keychani! passed on opa-opa cause i got a better one from another line, just looking for hang-on dude now

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
DYWDdWc.jpg

been slowly working on my Sega shelf! hard to find good stuff, there's a few gashapon for Tyris Flare & Asha (MW4) but not sure what else to toss up there

dl3Ge9J.jpg

5NVQZNa.jpg

*edit i wish those sega gamepro figures from years back were cheaper, i'd love a big Crazy Taxi & beat from JGR up there

Last edited:

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
of course you do :)

we both know in a perfect world there'd be classic sega amiibos and you & i would be PM'ing each other over which obscure retailer has the kaine/hugh/shir pack

for real, if ya'll see/know of any other classic sega figures/gashapon etc, lemme know!

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I've been killing it this month.

I've beaten Castlevaania Dawn of Sorrow and have almost completed Legend of Zelda Link Between Worlds.
I'm thinking about hooking up my ps2 or Sega Saturn for my next game. Anyone got any suggestions. Thinking I might play Digital Devil Saga but I don't know if I want to commit the time to an RPG.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I assume DS is fair game for this thread?
I just bought a DSi LL for 2500 yen and I'm excited for it to arrive. I skipped from DS lite to 3DS and therefore never experienced DS games with the proper pixel ratio without also being the size of a postage stamp. I've been playing Order of Ecclesia on my 3DS in preparation, and I can't wait until I can actually see what the hell is going on.
Any DSi XL/LL fans kicking about? I think I'm finally gonna sit down and beat case 5 of Phoenix Wright 1, this time in Japanese!

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
jesus christ
those things were expensive when they launched (i wanted one too!), now they're just stupid. there's gotta be someone who just sells the decal to go over this sega sports logo!

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's clear deep navy blue. I also love Resident Evil. Double fucking whammy. It's not fair! Donald Trump can buy it, but not me? What a cruel world!

Fab

Oct 28, 2017
Happy Holidays RetroEra!

I decided to treat myself to a new in box SwanCrystal along with a copy of Rhyme Rider Kerorikan, I was thrilled to find out Masaya Matsurra had a game on the Swan.

I absolutely love the box art for this game, the game manual is even presented on a series of cards.

Please let me know if you have any [affordable] recommendations for a non Japanese speaker.

In more upsetting news, it looks like my Gameboy has fallen to the dreaded horizontal line : [
I know vertical lines can be fixed with relative ease, but does anyone have experience with performing a repair on horizontal lines?

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Happy Holidays RetroEra!

I decided to treat myself to a new in box SwanCrystal along with a copy of Rhyme Rider Kerorikan, I was thrilled to find out Masaya Matsurra had a game on the Swan.

I absolutely love the box art for this game, the game manual is even presented on a series of cards.

Boy, I love the swancrystal. I had a color and a b/w swan a while back but never the crystal. Still kinda want to get one and frontlight it.
In terms of recommendations, you should get Gunpey DX. It's a really good puzzle game.

Deleted member 1813

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm about to pull the trigger on an Analogue NT Mini.

Part of me feels like this is crazy (I have less than 30 NES games). Reviews seem to be positive, but I just can't get a gauge on how much I'll actually use the thing. Anyone else here have one?

Edit: And just like that, they're sold out :(

Last edited: