• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I spent a good chunk of my day doing this. I might add more shelves later. There's still space for another four or five. I have tons of others games I could put there (they're mostly in drawers right now).

4jHRYhy.jpg

Fab

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, almost an entire month without a post here, perhaps having everything spread out over console specific topics/posts is more of a negative than a positive.

But regardless, there's no Atari Lynx OT so I'll ask my question here, I picked up a model 2 from new old stock, the unit powers on, sound works great too, but the display is incredibly dim, there's little difference between it being on or off.

Bad caps could be the culprit perhaps, but I think if I'm going to the trouble of that, then installing a mcwill lcd would be the way to go.

I purchased from a seller that happens to have a whole bunch of these consoles for sale, so getting a replacement wouldn't be an issue either, I'm just not sure if it's worth the trouble, it's only a matter of time until all of these displays start malfunctioning, right?

Update - after leaving the console on for about 30 minutes I came back to see the display functioning correctly, certainly odd behavior, is this at all a common issue with system?

Last edited:

Fab

Oct 28, 2017
No, most of the active poster just post on their own board now.
Oh, I didn't mean it like that, I know folks are still posting, I just miss having one place to go, it's a lot to keep up with, and I feel like I miss out on some interesting developments when I'm not paying attention to all of the OTs.

There are certainly many positives too of having specialized boards I won't deny, but personally I think something is lost.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Oh, I didn't mean it like that, I know folks are still posting, I just miss having one place to go, it's a lot to keep up with, and I feel like I miss out on some interesting developments when I'm not paying attention to all of the OTs.

There are certainly many positives too of having specialized boards I won't deny, but personally I think something is lost.
No, I mean not on ResetERA.

https://www.retrogameboards.com/

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Hmm, almost an entire month without a post here, perhaps having everything spread out over console specific topics/posts is more of a negative than a positive.

But regardless, there's no Atari Lynx OT so I'll ask my question here, I picked up a model 2 from new old stock, the unit powers on, sound works great too, but the display is incredibly dim, there's little difference between it being on or off.

Bad caps could be the culprit perhaps, but I think if I'm going to the trouble of that, then installing a mcwill lcd would be the way to go.

I purchased from a seller that happens to have a whole bunch of these consoles for sale, so getting a replacement wouldn't be an issue either, I'm just not sure if it's worth the trouble, it's only a matter of time until all of these displays start malfunctioning, right?

Update - after leaving the console on for about 30 minutes I came back to see the display functioning correctly, certainly odd behavior, is this at all a common issue with system?

It has not happened to me with my Lynx 2, but does sound like bad caps. If you have the skills, you should attempt to change them.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, apologies, I had no idea, that would explain quite a bit, think I'll go make some tea and catch up this evening then, thanks for letting me know dude.
Even that board is a little slow. The break off really took a toll. I think the discord moves much faster so maybe you can find a way on that too. Everyone from the old forum has been scattered though we all still maintain some loose connections and there really hasn't really been a successful reunifying effort or development on one particular venue.

Either way, I myself mostly always stuck to the main Retro thread as keeping up with all the sub threads made me lazy. lol

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I mostly just hang out in the RGB discord. Forums are good for certain things but I prefer the conversation flow of something like discord better.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My hesitation to be on the discord chat constantly is that I cannot fathom how to keep track of interesting posts and convos in either real time or for archival capacity. Especially where AV/technical knowledge is concerned. It's much easier to bookmark stuff in a forum thread.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Yeah, anything technical is better in a venue like this but most retro talk goes in circles and it's better in something that's a little more real time so it doesn't feel as obvious that you're just posting the brutal bear every fifty posts. I also like that discord doesn't remind me that I just playing Phantasy Star 4 months ago because it's only one page back.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
I am a bit scared of discord, since i would probably have it open all the time and never do other stuff then reading/posting there when on pc, but yeah, both boards are really slow on the retro side unfortunately.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Finally added some more shelves. I can fit one more, but I don't think I'd be able to reach it. Haha.

NcRWEH2.jpg

My boxed Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Dreamcast, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, Xbox, Xbox One, and loose Atari 2600 and 7800 games are in drawers under my HDTV, my loose NES games are in my closet, my loose SNES and N64 games are under that figure shelf on the right side of the pic in an N64 game drawer thing, my Neo Geo Pocket and PC games in some drawers next to my chair, and the Switch, PlayStation 4, and Wii U games are in other rooms (those consoles belong to my brothers, but some games on them are mine).

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Now this is what I was looking for!!! I love retrogaming and collecting, I just wish that it was a cheaper hobby XD Well, to be fair many games are fairly cheap, but it's getting harder and harder to find the exact games I want.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Latest pick-ups from the London Gaming market, a slightly less sweaty gathering of nerds than last time, huzzah!:

Bh8Tvk1.png

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I found out that apparently there is a Microplay in my city. I was shocked, as I thought that Microplay had disappeared from here like a decade ago.

Mar 26, 2018
I could swear the last retro place on gaf was a lot more busy than this, not sure what happened :(

I have been in and our of here as well. It is good to see a lot of stuff too https://www.facebook.com/groups/PixelRetro/

If any of you are looking for a place to talk up some retro stuff, share information and see things then that isn't too bad of a place to see it. I am really not much of a FB person, but at least this place feels more like reset to me.

I have been looking for this thread for a few weeks and then I feel like I get bad news when I get here and whoever sent me to the retroboard earlier that place also looks really slow, feels sad :(

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I could swear the last retro place on gaf was a lot more busy than this, not sure what happened :(

I have been in and our of here as well. It is good to see a lot of stuff too https://www.facebook.com/groups/PixelRetro/

If any of you are looking for a place to talk up some retro stuff, share information and see things then that isn't too bad of a place to see it. I am really not much of a FB person, but at least this place feels more like reset to me.

I have been looking for this thread for a few weeks and then I feel like I get bad news when I get here and whoever sent me to the retroboard earlier that place also looks really slow, feels sad :(
Hmm, I guess we need to try to raise awareness of this thread or get people to make accounts so they can participate in the discussion here!

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which flashcarts for the NES, SNES, Genesis, and N64 are considered the best, in reliability, ease of use, and stability?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Which flashcarts for the NES, SNES, Genesis, and N64 are considered the best, in reliability, ease of use, and stability?
EverDrives for all but the SNES. SD2SNES is much better than the Super EverDrive because of the extra chip games it supports that the Super EverDrive doesn't. Check Krikzz's site for the differences between the models for each system and what you think is worth paying extra for. He sells them through a bunch of different sites around the world including Amazon.com but I always wait for Black Friday to get them directly from krikzz because he has a 20% off sale each year.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aaaaaahhhhhhh! I finally scored a minty set of the Mass Effect Limited Edition on Ebay for a good price. After 2 years of almost pulling the trigger on some less than ideal sets, today I kept refreshing my saved searches and one popped up for 50 bucks. The seller has a short but good history so I'm just crossing my fingers that no surprises turn up. I can't wait!

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Hadn't heard about that. If it works well, I'd considering getting one if I had the money just for the Neo Geo CD and TurboGrafx-16 CD alone. My Sega CD also currently won't read/spin discs, so I could use it for that if I don't get it repaired soon.

Umibozu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The my life in gaming guys mentioned it today so hopefully they do a review of it at some point.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I've decided to jazz up my Xbox lately and I just wanna show it off a bit.
I7FWPAe.jpg

Very happy with this look

Last edited:

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I knew I should have checked the OT section sooner. Forgot about all the great retro OT's at the other place.

Currently collecting for 2600, 2700, Coleco Vision, NES, Master System, Genesis, PC Engine, Lynx, GB, SNES, Sega CD, 32X, 3DO, Neo-Geo CD, PS1, N64, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, GC, PS2.

kQc2yvG.jpg

Saturn, Sega/Mega CD
Jp233Ft.jpg

NES, GB, Wii, GC, Wiiu, N64, PS1, PS1 JP, PC Engine, Neo-Geo CD, DC.
CbA6Rfw.jpg

360, PS3, 3D0, LYNX, 2600, 2700, SNES, PS2, Xbox, Old EGM and Gamepro
vlUMZ8N.jpg

NES, SNES boxes
WDi1mwR.jpg

Genesis, Master System, 32X
T8FIhom.jpg

Last edited:
Fairly new around here, but it took a while to find this thread. Definitely seems like most retro gaming forums kinda took a hit in activity over the past two years, despite a lot of great developments happening.

Probably more accurately, the retro market is cooling down a bit from what I call the circa 2012-2016 "retro boom", when prices just skyrocketed. I was busy trying to scoop up games at reasonable prices, but only got in on a few games before they took off.

Also, just as an observation, I noticed that these current retro topics went directly into the OT hangouts section. The previously super popular topics sat on the main boards for a looong time at the old place, which also allowed frequent visibility whenever they got bumped, giving the topics opportunities to pick up more main board followers along the way.

Anyways, that's just me trying to figure out why there isn't quite as much activity here.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fairly new around here, but it took a while to find this thread. Definitely seems like most retro gaming forums kinda took a hit in activity over the past two years, despite a lot of great developments happening.

Probably more accurately, the retro market is cooling down a bit from what I call the circa 2012-2016 "retro boom", when prices just skyrocketed. I was busy trying to scoop up games at reasonable prices, but only got in on a few games before they took off.

Also, just as an observation, I noticed that these current retro topics went directly into the OT hangouts section. The previously super popular topics sat on the main boards for a looong time at the old place, which also allowed frequent visibility whenever they got bumped, giving the topics opportunities to pick up more main board followers along the way.

Anyways, that's just me trying to figure out why there isn't quite as much activity here.
Because most of us are on RGB discord.

OP
OP
Superblatt

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

I do think this thread has been lost and missed by many, but I'm not a mod so I honestly don't know what the options are...if any. Anyway, since I haven't contributed in quite some time I'll throw this out to the group.

Is it worth it to buy Panzer Dragoon Saga? Yes, it's like $650. And yes, I know I could play a bootleg if I really want. However, I've never played it and am very interested to make the first time I do be totally authentic. Am I nuts for even considering this?

Because most of us are on RGB discord.

Oh. Or that reason.
I'm not super familiar with the platform, so I guess I'm unaware of what pros and cons it can have.

Is it worth it to buy Panzer Dragoon Saga? Yes, it's like $650. And yes, I know I could play a bootleg if I really want. However, I've never played it and am very interested to make the first time I do be totally authentic. Am I nuts for even considering this?

The suggestion I've repeatedly heard is to buy the game, beat it, and sell it for about the same price - or higher, assuming the price trend continues.

My personal limit is $150 for any game, but that's just my personal take because I generally don't sell games.
If your financial situation allows for it, you're a HUGE fan of JRPGs, and you plan on selling it afterwards, I don't think it's such a crazy idea.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh. Or that reason.
I'm not super familiar with the platform, so I guess I'm unaware of what pros and cons it can have.
I guess you weren't using a transitional discord during the migration. You can join it easily, if you like by going to retro game boards and asking a mod for a discord invite. I'm on it just because many others decided to stick to it for various reasons and deserted everything else. Otherwise like being on a forum as it's easier to archive and follow.

I guess you weren't using a transitional discord during the migration. [...] I'm on it just because many others decided to stick to it for various reasons and deserted everything else. Otherwise like being on a forum as it's easier to archive and follow.

No, I'm just a long-time lurker, so while I saw everything going on, I never participated until just this past week.

Well, I'll definitely be around here, so hopefully we can build up a community again. It's cool that people have options, but I like the idea of having Era be a one stop place for everything gaming.

Not a super into chat rooms, though I see the merit for more casual conversation.

I have noticed every time a new retro related topic gets posted on the main board, they do pretty well! I think the interest is here, but this topic isn't super visible quite yet.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
No, I'm just a long-time lurker, so while I saw everything going on, I never participated until just this past week.

Well, I'll definitely be around here, so hopefully we can build up a community again. It's cool that people have options, but I like the idea of having Era be a one stop place for everything gaming.

Not a super into chat rooms, though I see the merit for more casual conversation.

I have noticed every time a new retro related topic gets posted on the main board, they do pretty well! I think the interest is here, but this topic isn't super visible quite yet.
There was a strong retro presence on GAF, but in the transition around 90% of the main contributors created and went to retrogameboards.com and the associated discord channel.

News and discussion is mostly on the board, and general chat (and most arguments lol) on the discord.

Most of us are still on here too for modern stuff, but keep all our retro equipment/CRT/scaler/collecting/discussion retrogameboards.