• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
1S1FVgp.png

Welcome to RetroEra! A community for anyone who enjoys collecting and revisiting gaming's classic hits and exploring hidden gems. Share your opinions of games you play, the hardware you interact with, and the memories of gaming's bygone eras. Atari, Commodore, Master System, NES, SNES, Genesis, Neo Geo, TG-16, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Playstation, Xbox... All are welcome to be discussed and re-experienced alongside like minded enthusiasts and collectors. Need help getting started and making old systems work on your state of the art HDTV, or do you want to recreate a fully retro CRT setup? We also have the RetroAV Club where the coolest of the nerds can help you obtain glorious pixel perfection.
Join us, won't you?

When introducing yourself to the group, we recommend starting with some basic answers to the following questions. This way we can get to know your interests and welcome you to our small but growing community.

- What systems do you collect for and why?
- How long have you been collecting?
- How big is your classic game backlog that you have come to accept you will never touch?
- What pictures would you like to share of the stuff that's been hard to find, rare or just cool?
- What are you looking for right now? It's all about the hunt!
- What city are you in? (could be good for RetroEra meet ups)

MegaThreads For Era Collectors (will add as they come online)

Retro AV
Dreamcast
Gameboy
GCN
NES / Famicom
NEC PCFX
PC Engine/Turbografx 16
Sega Saturn
Sega Genesis/MegaDrive
Sega CD/MegaCD
Sega Master System
Sharp X68000
Super Nintendo
Xbox

For me, I've been playing and collecting for over 30 years now. After recently buying a new house, I finally have a dedicated room for all my stuff (my wife is amazing as she did the setup!). I don't have a single system preference, but primarily collect for Saturn, Genesis, PC Engine, NES and SNES. I'm not looking to add anything major of note to my collection right now, but am very excited for my Analogue NT mini to arrive any day now. Oh, and I'm in Chicago. Lastly, I am somewhat ashamed that my backlog of classic games I will never finish (but I have played them all) has easily reached 1,000. Current pics of my room and collection - please share yours!

Z67u85G.jpg

Ym44jfr.jpg

tsuTNJp.jpg

PaK9OMO.jpg

5BXGK9n.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NES, Game Boy Color, and GameCube are my big three because I grew up with them.

I've got about two dozen games for each, I eventually want the entire libraries.

I've put my collecting on pause as I've got two 10 month olds.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
1) Mostly everything... but overall: NES/SNES/PCE/Genesis/3DO/64/PS/SS and everything after the sixth generation.
2) "Collecting" maybe since 2001, before that I was 17 years old, with no job or money, so I don't count my presents for xmas or birthdays.
3) Almost 1000, honestly...
4) Rare? I don't think so, but the price is real. Thanks Japan.

Screenshot_4.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

5) Wii, it's a pending debt in my life.
6) Santiago, Chile (yep, very far)

Inside

Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Big fan of game boy which is the only system I actively collect for. I started trying to recover all the games "complete in box" I had as a child which is a hard (and expensive) challenge. Now the collection has been expanded to more rare GB games, virtual boy games and my holy grail, the Famitsu skeleton game boy light

T6Wqv3K.jpg

After being a dad for the first time 3 month ago, and also buying our first apartment here in Copenhagen, there is not much headroom in the daily economy to keep on expanding the collection as rapidly as I have done the last 2-3 years. But if any rare games come buy I will not let i go past, thats for sure.

krealian

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the new general retro discussion thread?

I've been collecting for 24 years but in that time the size of my collection has fluctuated. I sold many games especially in the PS1 era, some of them I wish I hadn't. It's mostly Genesis/Mega Drive these days but I'm interested in most retro consoles.

I don't have a current number for my backlog but it's far less than 1000 games.

OP
OP
Superblatt

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Is this the new general retro discussion thread?

I've been collecting for 24 years but in that time the size of my collection has fluctuated. I sold many games especially in the PS1 era, some of them I wish I hadn't. It's mostly Genesis/Mega Drive these days but I'm interested in most retro consoles.

I don't have a current number for my backlog but it's far less than 1000 games.

Yeah, that was my intention and we can easily rename the thread if you guys would prefer.

My OSSC had a failed delivery today :(

You mean fedex or UPS didn't deliver?

foobarry81

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Added to Watched Threads.

I created an/the MSX thread in the other place, and am considering doing the same on here, even though nobody cares, lol.
Been collecting for around 14 years now and as a result have quite a lot of 'untouched but beloved' games for a multitude of systems including PS1|2|3|4, PSP, PSVita, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Game Boy Color|Advance, DS, 3DS, SEGA Mega Drive, SEGA Saturn, SEGA Game Gear, WonderSwan, PC Engine, and the MSX.

OP
OP
Superblatt

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

I created an/the MSX thread in the other place, and am considering doing the same on here, even though nobody cares, lol.
Been collecting for around 14 years now and as a result have quite a lot of 'untouched but beloved' games for a multitude of systems including PS1|2|3|4, PSP, PSVita, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Game Boy Color|Advance, DS, 3DS, SEGA Mega Drive, SEGA Saturn, SEGA Game Gear, WonderSwan, PC Engine, and the MSX.

Awesome! Welcome to the currently small super small RetroEra community. I'm sure we will grow in time. Btw, what do you guys think I should add to the OT? Ideas?

Deleted member 59

Glad to see the community should be moving over. Was primarily a lurker before, but did have phases where I bought GC titles, GB titles and even planned to dabble in SNES but never followed through. I'll be sure to keep lurking and posting once every year or so again :)

OP
OP
Superblatt

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I just updated the OP with some pics and will be trying to consolidate all classic gaming threads for everyone's convenience. Btw, I would like to add "OT" to the thread title. Can a mod maybe help me out? I want to change it to:

RetroEra IOTI 40 years of Classic Backlog

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We should add all the Retro system threads to the OP here like we had it before. That way we're all good and cozy.

BTW: Thank you, Seik! You've been a busy bee.

Last edited:

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
Sold basically all of my collection over the past few years but at one point I had about 1500+ NES carts alone. I wish I could say I had every single game but that wasn't going to happen.

I always like seeing the cool ways that people display theirs though. Mine were just halfassedly sorted on bookshelves. lol

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
man, we really did need a catch-all thread for general retro talk & linking to the specific threads, nice! here's some outdated pics of my stuff

2SFGBOY.jpg

AKhLvJe.jpg
cr0Nnvg.jpg
uSqLqDL.jpg
JmDrMDV.jpg
nHRArHq.jpg
5rBRhVO.jpg

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, nice thread, OP! Great setup, too!

I added your thread to mine, on the Retro-ERA links, if you don't mind. :)

Will post here for sure, not sure about today due to limited time and Odyssey hype, but this week-end for sure!

krealian

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome collection! I need to take some pics of my stuff but it's nowhere near as impressive.

OP
OP
Superblatt

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Loving all these familiar names. Hey, Seik! Love the DC thread and added it to the OP along with all other classic threads I'm aware of thus far. Thanks for the props on the collection as well. It's literally almost 40 years in the making, and it's only been in that room since April.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're still pretty modest so far. A lot of the usual suspects are over at RetroGamingBoards.com (clever name)

Hopefully we'll have some increasing cross talk with all of them soon.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.

I care! If you make one here I'll follow it!

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all, gonna love this thread! I lurked in a past life but this time round I shall attempt to make conversation. Been collecting since the day I swapped a copy of Tomb Raider for the PS1 for a guys entire PC-Engine collection plus white PCE. Mainly enjoy the systems I played the most as I was growing up, so Megadrive, Gameboy, Saturn & PS1/2. Prior to the MD it was all home computers like Amigas and Spectrums (being in the UK), the NES was a kind of novelty to a lot of us, it was only when the MD turned up we started to take notice of consoles (talking from the perspective of myself and my peers) l did get an NES sometime in the late 90s, and started collecting a for the Famicom in the last decade.

I particularly like the plastic box NAMCOT releases for the Famicom, lovely boxes, so lovely... got a few, want more!!!!

img_2054eau76.jpg

Metro Cross is a special game for me. I played it in the arcades and loved it, then it disappeared.. and I had to wait a decade until Namco Museum came out before I could play it again!

(Also Elevator Action Returns is an absolute top game!)

Last edited:

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Hello guys, my first post on this board had to be here! Nice to see all the familiar faces (and new ones) of old retro-gaf. I have been collecting since the early 2000s when i bought a Snes used. Never looked back since, and i now collect for more or less all plattforms, even though i only want games i have an interest in. Right now i focus on the Neo Geo CD, which is a system i never touched growing up.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello guys, my first post on this board had to be here! Nice to see all the familiar faces (and new ones) of old retro-gaf. I have been collecting since the early 2000s when i bought a Snes used. Never looked back since, and i now collect for more or less all plattforms, even though i only want games i have an interest in. Right now i focus on the Neo Geo CD, which is a system i never touched growing up.

Welcome back Morfeo! I started collecting properly in 08. I started with an SNES which I promptly plugged straight into my plasma TV... Then immediately thought it must be broken when i got nothing on screen. lol!

Hey what do all say we try to get on the new monthly spotlight?
https://www.resetera.com/threads/hangouts-community-spotlight.1812/

Sounds like a great way to get our community built back up!

Last edited:

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I PM'd about getting the spotlight for November. I have to write a short blurb to serve as an introduction to RetroEra. What should I include in it?

Also, I think we can use some sort of banner. If anyone can do that let me know.

OP
OP
Superblatt

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Okay, so I PM'd about getting the spotlight for November. I have to write a short blurb to serve as an introduction to RetroEra. What should I include in it?

Also, I think we can use some sort of banner. If anyone can do that let me know.

Good idea on the spotlight. We could definitely use some more exposure. I've been thinking about a banner too, and would love for it to look like the Stranger Things logo. Just seems kinda logical and of course timely, but I don't have the chops to pull it off. If you guys know someone who could do that, or provide other options, that would be awesome.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was a CAD drafter a few years ago. I can attempt something but it might take me a while since I'm both rusty and quite busy with work. I might not be able to churn something out befor the spotlight deadline.

I can at least start a rough draft on the intro for now though...

OP
OP
Superblatt

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I was a CAD drafter a few years ago. I can attempt something but it might take me a while since I'm both rusty and quite busy with work. I might not be able to churn something out befor the spotlight deadline.

I can at least start a rough draft on the intro for now though...

Well, turns out there is a pretty damn good logo maker using the Stranger Things font. While it's not what I would call super original, it looks pretty good something that required 30 things of work (check out OP). I'm totally up to other ideas, so pass along what you have if you still want. Secondly, let me know if you need assistance for the spotlight. Btw, I'm not sure what's required for that or where it will ultimately be posted.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, I'm not entirely sure what will be needed in entirety either. This is a whole new thing that GAF never did. All I know for the time being is that we need an introduction at least. Here's what I have so far:

Welcome to RetroEra! A community for anyone who enjoys collecting and revisiting gaming's classic hits and exploring hidden gems. Share your opinions of games you play, the hardware you interact with, and the memories of gaming's bygone eras. Atari, Commodore, Master System, NES, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Playstation, Xbox... All are welcome to be discussed and re-experienced alongside like minded enthusiasts and collectors. Need help getting started and making old systems work on your state of the art HDTV, or do you want to recreate a fully retro CRT setup? We also have the RetroAV Club where the coolest of the nerds can help you obtain glorious pixel perfection. Join us on RetroEra - the community of classic gaming for the modern enthusiast.

I welcome all critiques. I want it to be as appealing as possible to all the regulars and lurkers.

Also, was so quick to jump in the thread that I paid no mind to these questions initially. Sorry.
- What systems do you collect for and why?
There's too many for me to list especially if I include handhelds, but suffice it to say that I just love my old games and they currently still play best on old hardware generally speaking. Basically I have all the more well known popular hardware. Not much outside the big companies like SEGA, Sony, Nintendo, and MS.

- How long have you been collecting?
I didn't start properly until 2008

- How big is your classic game backlog that you have come to accept you will never touch?
I usually sell off the things I don't touch

- What pictures would you like to share of the stuff that's been hard to find, rare or just cool?
How about a sample of some cool cib games?
JLGM2oH.jpg

- What are you looking for right now? It's all about the hunt!
A WonderMega model 1

- What city are you in? (could be good for RetroEra meet ups)
Phoenix

That's a really cool banner! Kinda spooky, but it's October. I'll submit that for the spotlight, but that will be for November. Oh well, beggars cant be choosers.

Last edited:

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Such an awesome game. I really should have bought it when I was considering it about 5 years ago. Doesn't it go for close to $250 these days?

Ah cool. I knew the second picture was also Elevator Action Returns but didn't realize the first was as well. Looks really cool. Too bad it's going to be years before I get around to getting myself a copy.

yeah...again i got super lucky there; EU dude on retrocollect years back had it up for $40 and no one bit. i did soon as i saw it, and it ended up being returned to him months later! it was already nearly $100 by then, but dude agreed to honor the deal. i was so happy.

we could do this all day with saturn games though - i thought $50 was too much for MM8, passed on some sega ages stuff id wanted cause i thought it'd go down later, etc. ugh.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
Hey guys! Hopefully I can post some pics later on, but I've been casually collecting for a little over 10 years. The system I started collecting for was the SNES and probably still the retro console I have the most valuable games for.

I managed to fine rarities like Hagane and Ninja Warriors for $5 each back in the day. Even Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger back then only cost me $20 each. 2007 was a different time.

Recently I saw Skyblazer for $85 and I specifically remember buying it for $3 in 2009. I just can't believe how high the prices have risen.

I also collect for the Nintendo DS though and have an extremely extensive collection, including many of its rarest games. It was the only console I had to play in college so I wound up buying basically any decent game that came out for the thing! I'd bet that maybe Retro Game Challenge is my most valuable there.

Also I'm in Joplin, Missouri. We have a surprisingly active gaming scene here on all fronts and so the selection is great, the prices are low, and you don't have a ton of competition due to the lower population. I certainly don't have too many finds like the time I got Shining Force 2 for $6 at the flea market anymore, but once in a while I score like when I found Custom Robo (GCN) for $2 last week.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always a bit of a retro gamer, but the current state of AAA and where it's heading , pushes even me towards older game.
My interest go as far back as SNES, since that what I grew up with. I kind of want to get more into the NES era at some point.

My gf is real retro game, though. She has a ton of consoles, including several special versions (like her pikachu N64).
Her handeld collection is quite impressive.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
I started collecting SNES games about 3 years ago, pretty much just on a whim when I stumbled on a retro game store. SNES felt right to me, because I loved it as a kid, but I also got one really late - 1995 - and only played it for about a year before moving on to mostly the PS1. I missed out on a lot of titles then, and it has been great to catch up on them, and find a bunch of stuff I hadn't even heard of back then. I find that SNES games are the perfect length and complexity level for me - it's so much easier to commit to one than to a modern game. They're short enough to be manageable, but also have a level of polish that NES games sometimes lack.

I'm up to about 40 games now, and have done a decent job keeping up, only about 10 in the backlog. My most prized game is probably Space Megaforce, which was another complete impulse buy, that I ended up really loving. Just picked up Contra 3, Turtles in Time, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Kirby Super Star, and Final Fight at a con a couple weeks back, so backlog's jumped up a bit. I'm not really hot in pursuit of anything, but I'd like to stumble upon a copy of Sunset Riders.

Next game up is probably Contra 3, ActRaiser, or Gradius 3. Any recommendations on which of those to jump on first?

OP
OP
Superblatt

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Irish got dat SEGA 16 bit covered!
Sega Genesis/MegaDrive thread
Sega CD/MegaCD thread

Hey man, just added your copy to the OP. It was perfect, and while we can tweak in the future I think it's a nice warm welcome to folks.

I started collecting SNES games about 3 years ago, pretty much just on a whim when I stumbled on a retro game store. SNES felt right to me, because I loved it as a kid, but I also got one really late - 1995 - and only played it for about a year before moving on to mostly the PS1. I missed out on a lot of titles then, and it has been great to catch up on them, and find a bunch of stuff I hadn't even heard of back then. I find that SNES games are the perfect length and complexity level for me - it's so much easier to commit to one than to a modern game. They're short enough to be manageable, but also have a level of polish that NES games sometimes lack.

I'm up to about 40 games now, and have done a decent job keeping up, only about 10 in the backlog. My most prized game is probably Space Megaforce, which was another complete impulse buy, that I ended up really loving. Just picked up Contra 3, Turtles in Time, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Kirby Super Star, and Final Fight at a con a couple weeks back, so backlog's jumped up a bit. I'm not really hot in pursuit of anything, but I'd like to stumble upon a copy of Sunset Riders.

Next game up is probably Contra 3, ActRaiser, or Gradius 3. Any recommendations on which of those to jump on first?

Welcome! I've been playing SNES since the system was released when I was 10 years old, so I'd personally vote for Contra 3. Actraiser is amazing as well, but just a different kind of game. Depends what you want really as you can't go wrong with either. Contra 3 is the pinnacle of that franchise next to Hard Corps (I prefer Hard Corps), and Actraiser is a super unique action/sim hybrid that was virtually a new genre when released.

Last edited:

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome! I've been playing SNES sine the system was released when I was 10 years old, so I'd personally vote for Contra 3. Actraiser is amazing as well, but just a different kind of game. Depends what you want really as you can't go wrong with either. Contra 3 is the pinnacle of that franchise next to Hard Corps (I prefer Hard Corps), and Actraiser is a super unique action/sim hybrid that was virtually a new genre when released.

Thanks! I think I'll start on Contra 3 tonight, and try Actraiser after that. Really excited to play both of them, I just wish I had more time!