• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Most of us are still on here too for modern stuff, but keep all our retro equipment/CRT/scaler/collecting/discussion retrogameboards.

Yeah, I guess that's the part where, for my own convenience, I would prefer to invest in one particular community and have one centralized spot for gaming.

I do check out the other retro boards from time to time, just to see what's happening - seems like a cool community, as well!

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Yeah, I guess that's the part where, for my own convenience, I would prefer to invest in one particular community and have one centralized spot for gaming.

I do check out the other retro boards from time to time, just to see what's happening - seems like a cool community, as well!
We had discussion about that a year ago, there was an excellent utility to having GAF being a single board you could visit for all stuff. Retrogaf largely avoided large scale controversy, and the main thread was visible enough to pick people up as it went along. I was personally someone who thought that too, and thought (and still do to some extent) I'd find it more annoying to use two boards.

However, retrogameboards has ended up being far better in the end in my opinion. It's focused and spread out among threads enough that discussions get lost less (eg the scaler, scanline, CRTs and shmpus threads are strong communities until themselves). The community is incredibly positive with basically no bullshit.

An addition unexpected benefit is a focused place to chat about modern games through a retro-enthusiast mindset. Everything from retro-style indie games to the latest Nintendo stuff to cinematic shooters etc.

I gotta say, I've been pretty impressed with the engagement here in the main Gaming retro threads - the most recent retro game music thread has a lot of great posts, arcade memories, Breath of Fire topics are all awesome...which I guess brings me back to my initial question of why more folks from the main board aren't engaged in the retro threads in the hangouts.

Clearly, there's a lot of interest in retro gaming here, but maybe no interest in the OTs? ...but anyways, that's enough pondering for one day.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Is it worth it to buy Panzer Dragoon Saga? Yes, it's like $650. And yes, I know I could play a bootleg if I really want. However, I've never played it and am very interested to make the first time I do be totally authentic. Am I nuts for even considering this?

If I ever get around to playing my copy I'll let you know, haha. 2019 is the year!

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
No one visits the hang out boards it's really sad. Have to sneak retro game threads into the main gaming forum to get eyes on great old games.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I do think this thread has been lost and missed by many, but I'm not a mod so I honestly don't know what the options are...if any. Anyway, since I haven't contributed in quite some time I'll throw this out to the group.

Is it worth it to buy Panzer Dragoon Saga? Yes, it's like $650. And yes, I know I could play a bootleg if I really want. However, I've never played it and am very interested to make the first time I do be totally authentic. Am I nuts for even considering this?
I really like Panzer Dragoon Saga. It's a well done, short RPG with a good atmosphere, innovative battle-system and a fantastic ending. Buy it and if you don't love it you can always resell it for near what you paid.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
No one visits the hang out boards it's really sad. Have to sneak retro game threads into the main gaming forum to get eyes on great old games.
I think the problem is how we have a different dedicated thread for each system, and those threads are mostly collectors fetishization and conspicuous consumption. The ratio of talking about actually playing games to paying for system mods in the GB thread for example is about 1:100.

Yeah I tend to zone out about hardware mods. In it for the games man.

What retro systems do you folks gravitate towards when playing?
These days, I've been into the 16-bit systems, especially the PC Engine.

Man, I do miss when systems had such distinct capabilities that each one had its own personality in regards to music, speed, sprite capabilities, etc. No other time was that as apparent as in the 16 bit era.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Lately I've mainly been jumping around between Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2, and Wii U virtual console. I could probably only play games released up through the PS2 gen and give up modern games, and still never get bored with the hobby. An absolute treasure trove of games. No digital distribution and spotty emulation means its getting pretty pricey though.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Lately I've mainly been jumping around between Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2, and Wii U virtual console. I could probably only play games released up through the PS2 gen and give up modern games, and still never get bored with the hobby. An absolute treasure trove of games. No digital distribution and spotty emulation means its getting pretty pricey though.
I could probably do the same but videooutputs do also give me a headache. Could just buy an OSSC but add games, high quality cables and at some point additional consoles (never owned a DC) and prices can get crazy. That's why I am happy when classic games receive good ports on modern consoles.

I wish I would have bought all those PS1/PS2 JRPGs years ago.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

Man, I do miss when systems had such distinct capabilities that each one had its own personality in regards to music, speed, sprite capabilities, etc. No other time was that as apparent as in the 16 bit era.

Been playing a lot of Genesis, NES, SNES and PS1 lately. Might play some Xbox and PS2 soon just blew some of my tax returns on a bunch of stuff to beef up my collection. My PS2 games were lacking only 3 NA games Gitaroo Man, Maximo Army of Zin and Clock Tower 3 and 21 JP PS2 games my friend gave me.

Bought and coming:
ps2 Mister Mosquito
ps2 Half-Life
ps2 Maximo Ghosts to Glory
ps2 Twisted Metal Black
ps2 Adventures of Cookie & Cream
ps2 Tony Hawk 4
ps2 Odin Sphere
ps2 Grimgrimoire
ps2 Airblade
ps2 Tokobot Plus Mysteries of the Karakuri
ps2 Rygar
xbox Oddworld Strangers Wrath
xbox SSX Tricky
xbox Pirates Legend of Black Kat
xbox Urban Chaos
xbox Simpsons Hit & Run
xbox Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance
xbox Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2
snes Addams Family Values (cart only)
snes Breath of Fire (cart only)
snes Breath of Fire 2 (cart only)
ps1 Breath of Fire 3
ps1 Breath of Fire 4
ps1 Tony Hawk
ps1 Tony Hawk 3
ps1 Road Rash Jail Break

Also bought a USB CD drive so I can install older PC games Like Myth and Sim Golf that I haven't been able to play since I bought my new comp that doesn't have a drive on it.

Last edited:

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
OG Xbox right now is what draws me. I turn on my X1X and the BC game are righ there. lol

Yeah thinking about hooking up the Xboxone to play them on instead of pulling out my old giant Xbox. How do they hold up on there? Any emulation issues? Also really wished they would have announced Xbox and 360 games working on PC yesterday during the Inside Xbox.

I keep wanting to buy an original Xbox, mostly for the Sega games and superior muli-plats of that generation.
But, I literally do not have the space in my current set up. The Xbox is probably about half the size of my AV amp, which is my largest component in my entertainment system.

I'm stuck.

Been playing a lot of Genesis, NES, SNES and PS1 lately. Might play some Xbox and PS2 soon just blew some of my tax returns on a bunch of stuff to beef up my collection. My PS2 games were lacking only 3 NA games Gitaroo Man, Maximo Army of Zin and Clock Tower 3 and 21 JP PS2 games my friend gave me.

[List of awesome games]

Also bought a USB CD drive so I can install older PC games Like Myth and Sim Golf that I haven't been able to play since I bought my new comp that doesn't have a drive on it.

Guitaroo Man is one of my favorites on the PS2, although I don't play much of that system. My PS2 slim has disc read problems and freezes fairly often. Do you also have God Hand in your collection already?
Solid pickups on all the other games!

Though, I am curious why you chose THPS1 and 3 on the PS1.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
No don't have God Hand yet going to get that at some point. As for the Tony Hawk games on PS1 they were only like 3 bucks so picked them up. They didn't have 2 or 4 but would have gotten those as well since they are so cheap, but great games. I was looking at the Tony Hawk Underground games as well just didn't know if Xbox or PS2 version was best.

Also just buckled and picked up Samurai Western for PS2. Collecting for a new system gets dangerous for the wallet.

Edit: Aaaaaand now I have God Hand...
Edit: Ape Escape 2 and 3 as well. Ok I'll stop now before this gets out of hand.

Keep eyeing Dark Cloud 1&2 just gotta wait.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah thinking about hooking up the Xboxone to play them on instead of pulling out my old giant Xbox. How do they hold up on there? Any emulation issues? Also really wished they would have announced Xbox and 360 games working on PC yesterday during the Inside Xbox.
OG games look beautiful. They run better than the OG hardware. The only issue I've heard is that fur shaders like on Conker weren't designed for too high of a resolution and kind of break, but you could just turn the resolution down and still enjoy all the other performance improvements.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Man the last time I turned on the Xbox One was when Sunset Overdrive came out almost 5 years ago.

Edit: Hmmm not much in the terms of OG Xbox games on the BC, but I haven't played Skate 3 or the 360 SSX in a long long time. Think I'll be playing those for a while.

Last edited:
No don't have God Hand yet going to get that at some point. [...] I was looking at the Tony Hawk Underground games as well just didn't know if Xbox or PS2 version was best.

Also just buckled and picked up Samurai Western for PS2. Collecting for a new system gets dangerous for the wallet.

Edit: Aaaaaand now I have God Hand...
Edit: Ape Escape 2 and 3 as well. Ok I'll stop now before this gets out of hand.

Keep eyeing Dark Cloud 1&2 just gotta wait.

LOL. Oh, dang!
I was mostly certainly laughing out loud when I read those edits.
And then you hit that point where you say, y'know what? My budget's already shot for the month, might as well get some other rare games!

I have been thinking about Dark Cloud for a while - but for now, enjoy the bizarre goodness of God Hand. It is fantastic.

THUG is probably best experienced on the Xbox, but I actually prefer all my THPS on the GameCube. The controller works amazingly for the needs of the game - Ollie in center, all trick buttons surrounding the ollie. And the graphics are just fine, too!
But, any day you play THPS is a good day - one of my favorite game series of all time.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Man got paid and a friend paid back what I loaned him to get his car fixed. Might have went a tad crazy with the money bought some stuff I've wanted for a long time.

snes Earthbound (cart only)
ps1 Grandia
ps2 Grandia 2
ps2 RAD
ps2 Rouge Galaxy
ps2 War of the Monsters
ps2 Ys The Ark of Napishtim
ps2 Dark Cloud
ps2 Dark Cloud 2
ps2 Final Fantasy X
ps2 Final Fantasy X-2
ps2 Final Fantasy Xll
ps2 Xenosaga Episode 1
ps2 Disgaea: Hour of Darkness

Still sitting at about $200 expendable income left I don't know what to do with it. Kinda want to buy In the Hunt on ps1 or just buy more ps2 games not really sure.

So...many...hours of great gaming in those purchases.

RetroEra, how many of you collectors have beat the games you've bought in recent times? Or how do you typically play the retro games you've purchased?

I normally play halfway or three-quarters of the way through and then just stop. After that, I'll revisit the games periodically, but rarely ever beat the games.
Those 40 years of backlog is for real.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
If it's something narrative heavy I won't even touch it until I get in the mood for it, especially if I've never played it before. I'll be way more likely to play it to completion. Anything else I can dabble a bit here and there with.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When my Sg arrives, I'll finally get around to completing (or at least finding out if I really like) may Genesis games I've yet to play for real. lol

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Went down the street to the local retro game shop to buy a PS2 and OG Xbox (Forgot the only one I had left was a JP Xbox). Ended up buying a few things. He gave me $10 off each console because he was grateful for all the stuff I was buying.

GmGuaPf.jpg

yZUjFAJ.jpg

3N2cRFL.jpg

PnUffqJ.jpg

Already had Halo 2, but mine rusted for god knows why.

unRDxMc.jpg

Last edited:

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
A retrogame store is going to open near my workplace. A bit excited, even if I know that a) It's mostly going to be expensive and b) The stuff is going to be in rough shape. But you know, to be able to go to physical place to add to the routine of looking for a good item or a good bargain is good.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Some of them Like Estarland resurface the discs, and open up the more expensive carts to check if they are fake or not, just depends on the place. They can be a good place to buy some of the more common games so you don't have to pay for shipping.

edit: Never be afraid to ask to look at the discs first before you buy as well.

Last edited:

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
So...many...hours of great gaming in those purchases.

RetroEra, how many of you collectors have beat the games you've bought in recent times? Or how do you typically play the retro games you've purchased?

I normally play halfway or three-quarters of the way through and then just stop. After that, I'll revisit the games periodically, but rarely ever beat the games.
Those 40 years of backlog is for real.
I find myself returning to games I've already played due to limited time and being familiar with them. I've really got to break that habit. Thinking about picking a random game out of my collection each week and just playing it for an hour.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017

Trying to curb my new purchases until I beat what I have (who knows how long that will take). My spree's going pretty well, looking through Backloggery there's more "Beaten"s than I thought there'd be.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I had been playing on a Genesis Model 2 with a VA1.8 motherboard for a long time. I knew it was one of the worst for sound (though running it through my AV Receiver actually made it a bit more tolerable).

Well was just casually going into one of my local used games stores and they had a High Def Model 1 and Model 2 VA3. I was VERY tempted by the High Definition Model 1, but really don't like the size of the model 1 units, but I scooped up the M2 VA3. It's amazing the difference the better sound circuit makes in that revision, and to top it off it also doesn't have evident jailbars in the video!!!

Score!!

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Trying to fill out the Ps2 collection with as many hidden gems and great games as possible right from the get go is task on the wallet for sure, but it's starting to look real good. Some of the stuff has come in, but I keep buying more lol.

Went from this handful of NA, and a few JP games. (Ps2 on the 2nd from the bottom shelf)
vlUMZ8N.jpg

To this in a few days.
YEdKAEM.jpg

Not everything has shown up yet. I may have bought more as well.

Steambot Chronicles
Graffiti Kingdom
Chaos Legion
King's Field Ancient City
Mad Maestro!
Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter
Musashi: Samurai Legend
New Ps2 controller
Xbox S controller
Ps2 128 MB memory card
Downhill Domination
Magic Pengel: The Quest for Color
Splashdown: Rides Gone Wild
Drakengard
Shadow of Rome
Gladius
Lifeline
Bujingai: Forsaken City
Red Star
Radiata Stories
Xenosaga Episode 2
Xenosaga Episode 3
Sub Rebellion
Primal

Last edited:
Trying to fill out the Ps2 collection with as many hidden gems and great games as possible right from the get go is task on the wallet for sure, but it's starting to look real good. Some of the stuff has come in, but I keep buying more lol.

Went from this handful of NA, and a few JP games. (Ps2 on the 2nd from the bottom shelf)

I am eagerly awaiting some of your impressions from all these PS2 games - especially thoughts on Guitaroo Man and God Hand.

Also, how is Graffiti Kingdom? I've always wanted to buy it, but it still hasn't caught my interest.

And last, are you playing on an OG PS2 or PS2 Slim? Sorry if I missed that part..

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Going to be playing on a Ps2 slim I bought a few days ago. Haven't tested it out yet waiting for the memory card to show up, but the Xbox I bought there runs fine.

I've played Guitaroo Man before love it, never played God Hand though, although I've seen videos and gifs of it before looks really awesome.

As for Graffiti Kingdom I blind bought it just knowing it is the sequel to Magic Pengel and that game is really good.

Really excited to try a lot of these though. Never played most of them.

Last edited:

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Bought Under the Skin as well. Looking at Ribbit King, Firefighter F.D.18, S.L.A.I and Okage. Have to cool it with this, but trying to fill out my collection before the big Ps2 boom hits. Gotta get those hidden gems and low print run games before it's too late.

I probably should have used that $220 on Blood Will Tell instead of Earthbound. Can see that price rising on BWT in the near future.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, if you have an xbox and GCN, you're better off getting a lot of cross plat games on those platforms rather than going all in on PS2. You can easily get games to run in 480p usually without compromise. In Xbox's case the games have better or full surroud sound support, plus many are future proof due to current Microsoft BC efforts.

On an unrelated note: I GOT MY MEGA SG CONFIRMATION EMAIL! OMFG

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Yeah getting 3rd party games on Xbox.

Picked up Shinobi, Contra Shatter Soldier and Neo Contra as well.

Nice pickup with the Mega SG!

Also started a list of Ps2 games I'm looking for:
Chulip
Blood Will Tell
Nightmare of Druaga
Klonoa 2
Ribbit King
Legaia 2
Soul Nomad
Mark of Kri
Disaster Report
Raw Danger
Ghosthunter
Dual Hearts
Summoner
Summoner 2
Okage
Parappa 2
Ever Grace
Grandia 3
Grandia Xtreme
Jade Cocoon 2
Gungrave
Gungrave Overdose
Culdcept
Silpheed
Castlevania Lament of Innocence
Castlevania Curse of Darkness
Valkyrie Profile 2
Metal Saga
Skygunner
Gradius
Bombastic
Tenchu Fatal Shadows
Kya
R-Type Final
Gungriffon Blaze
Wizardry tale of forsaken land
Cold Winter
Beat Down Fists of Vengeance
Ring of Red
Devil Kings
Champions of Norrath
Champions Return to Arms

Don't mind more recommendations if you have any toss em onto the pile!

Last edited:

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised your list is still that long, but I guess I shouldn't be for the PS2 being king of consoles. lol

For me, the PS2 is basically a Silent Hill, Katamari, or Gran Turismo machine. Most of the games I liked on it have been remade or ported. Even so, I could buy a Switch and play the first Katamari there and I could build a PC to play my PC copies of Silent Hill 2-4 with defitive patches and mods. My personal need for PS2 is hanging by a thread.

So yeah, I don't see a Katamari or Silent Hill game in your picture. Those would be my highest recommendations .

For Xbox, Shadow of Memories is a european import worth checking out if you have a moded xbox. KotOR, Tony Hawk 2x are also worth having on xbox library.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Hmm don't have a modded Xbox, but Shadow of Memories is on NA Ps2. Will add it to the pile. Katamari and all those other big name things will be easy to pick up later on. They will always be fairly cheap due to having high print runs.

As for Xbox I have
Halo 2
Ninja Gaiden
Mercenaries
KotOR
Otogi
JP Soulcalibur 2
Kingdom Under Fire
Crimson Skies
Dino Crisis 3
State of Emergency
Oddworld Much's Oddysee
Time Splitters 2
Hunter the Reckoning
Hunter the Reckoning Redeemer
Fuzion Frenzy
Fallout Brotherhood of Steel
Shenmue 2
Battle Engine Aquila
Jaws
Phantom Dust
Army Men Sarge's War
Ghost Recon
Halo
Mech Assault 2
Mech Assault
Brute Force
Jet Set Radio Future
Starwars Starfighter
The Warriors
Simpsons Hit and Run
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2
Kingdom Under Fire Heroes
Metal Arms
Enclave
Splinter Cell
Fable
Urban Chaos
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
Pirates the Legend of Black Kat
SSX Tricky

Want to get
Darkwatch
Metal Wolf Chaos
Otogi 2
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Armed and Dangerous
Blood Rayne
Blood Rayne 2
Ghost Master
Predator: Concrete Jungle
Conker: Live and Reloaded
Destroy all Humans
Destroy all Humans 2
Fire Blade
Freedom Fighters
Galleon: Islands of Mystery
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
Hulk Ultimate Destruction
Psi-Ops
Run Like Hell
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Splinter Cell Double Agent
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
SSX 3
The Suffering
The Suffering: Ties that Bind
Manhunt
Red Dead Revolver
Spartan Total Warrior
Dragon's Lair 3D
Super Monkey Ball Delux
Toe Jam & Earl 3
The Punisher
The Thing
Tony Hawk Underground
Tony Hawk Underground 2
Tony Hawk American Wasteland
Voodoo Vince
Black
Stubbs the Zombie

Last edited:
I've been meaning to ask this: is the retro game market/craze finally beginning to settle down?

I have not seen prices increasingly as rapidly compared to 2012-2016, and the sudden "boom" of retro related activity on the Internet, including message boards and forums as discussed earlier, seems to have stabilized.

This isn't saying that the prices aren't not increasing, but only that increases across most games have been more modest.

Your mention of PS2 games increasing in price reminded me of this - I haven't been paying attention to that specific console, but I think most games have settled into a typical price territory.

That said:
Now is the time to get the Sega Xbox games, as they have increased in price over the past couple years.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm don't have a modded Xbox, but Shadow of Memories is on NA Ps2. Will add it to the pile. Katamari and all those other big name things will be easy to pick up later on. They will always be fairly cheap due to having high print runs.

As for Xbox I have
Halo 2
Ninja Gaiden
Mercenaries
KotOR
Otogi
JP Soulcalibur 2
Kingdom Under Fire
Crimson Skies
Dino Crisis 3
State of Emergency
Oddworld Much's Oddysee
Time Splitters 2
Hunter the Reckoning
Hunter the Reckoning Redeemer
Fuzion Frenzy
Fallout Brotherhood of Steel
Shenmue 2
Battle Engine Aquila
Jaws
Phantom Dust
Army Men Sarge's War
Ghost Recon
Halo
Mech Assault 2
Mech Assault
Brute Force
Jet Set Radio Future
Starwars Starfighter
The Warriors
Simpsons Hit and Run
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2
Kingdom Under Fire Heroes
Metal Arms
Enclave
Splinter Cell
Fable
Urban Chaos
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
Pirates the Legend of Black Kat
SSX Tricky

Want to get
Darkwatch
Metal Wolf Chaos
Otogi 2
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Armed and Dangerous
Blood Rayne
Blood Rayne 2
Ghost Master
Predator: Concrete Jungle
Conker: Live and Reloaded
Destroy all Humans
Destroy all Humans 2
Fire Blade
Freedom Fighters
Galleon: Islands of Mystery
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
Hulk Ultimate Destruction
Psi-Ops
Run Like Hell
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Splinter Cell Double Agent
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
SSX 3
The Suffering
The Suffering: Ties that Bind
Manhunt
Red Dead Revolver
Spartan Total Warrior
Dragon's Lair 3D
Super Monkey Ball Delux
Toe Jam & Earl 3
The Punisher
The Thing
Tony Hawk Underground
Tony Hawk Underground 2
Tony Hawk American Wasteland
Voodoo Vince
Black
Stubbs the Zombie

You're on good track, but I cannot recommend soft moding your Xbox enough. Playing your library off HDD with exponentially improved load times, universal 480p forcing, and region circumvention really is the way to go. I posted an up to date tutorial vid earlier. I think the only thing not mentioned there is swapping out the ribbon cable for a highe pon count one to increase HDD speed.
I've been meaning to ask this: is the retro game market/craze finally beginning to settle down?

I have not seen prices increasingly as rapidly compared to 2012-2016, and the sudden "boom" of retro related activity on the Internet, including message boards and forums as discussed earlier, seems to have stabilized.

This isn't saying that the prices aren't not increasing, but only that increases across most games have been more modest.

Your mention of PS2 games increasing in price reminded me of this - I haven't been paying attention to that specific console, but I think most games have settled into a typical price territory.

That said:
Now is the time to get the Sega Xbox games, as they have increased in price over the past couple years.
I suspect there might be an up tick once gen Y gets on the scene with income because there is some overlap with what both generations will have nostalgia for. I think the brunt of it will focus on GameCube/PS2/ Xbox... that might be like how millennials regard the MegaDrive/SNES era.

Last edited:

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up A Link to the Past GBA and The Legend of Zelda NES after loving BotW. I'll probably need scans of the manuals to play them, won't I?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

That said:

6th gen of consoles haven't hit the boom yet. The prices have begun to go up a bit mostly PS2 stuff, but even Xbox has been seeing slight increases in prices.

Was looking at a lot of games that were only going for $40-60 a few months ago, now going for $80-90+.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
6th gen of consoles haven't hit the boom yet. The prices have begun to go up a bit mostly PS2 stuff, but even Xbox has been seeing slight increases in prices.

Was looking at a lot of games that were only going for $40-60 a few months ago, now going for $80-90+.
I imagine Xbox stuff going up due to xbox one backwards compatibility

I suspect there might be an up tick once gen Y gets on the scene with income because there is some overlap with what boyh grnerations will have nostalgia for. I think the brunt of it will focus on GameCube/PS2/ Xbox... that might be like millennials regard the MegaDrive/SNES era.

Interesting points.

I always was under the impression that the prices were going up in correlation with how much exposure they were suddenly receiving on YouTube and other gaming-related sites around the same time.

The actual causation of the price booms is, obviously, a number of different influences coming together at once.
I guess I'm trying to pinpoint what the major causes might be, in order to better predict when the next increases could occur.

Also, it seems like interest in retro gaming has cooled off a bit, but my perception could be completely off there.

Back to the PS2 - this console in particular has a pretty big advantage when it comes to games - namely, that it's the best selling system of all -time, and we had no digital downloads. So, I think the sheer amount of games out there for it help keep the prices relatively stable.

Out of all the 26 games in my meager PS2 collection, only Chulip has really increased in price in the past two-three years. Interesting, yet odd game, btw.
I'm interested in hearing about the other PS2 games coming up in price, too!

But, IF the PS5 has disc-based backward compatibility, the market will shift rapidly - as we're already seeing with Xbox One

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I've found it's mostly the people growing up with the stuff finally being at a place financially stable (usually in their late 20's early 30's) to start going back to buy the stuff they had as a kid. Current prices are from just us collectors doing our thing. Prices will go up once those other people get into the mix.

I'm always seeing people buying retro stuff in pickup threads, and people doing pick up videos on Youtube. Wouldn't say it has cooled.

What Ps2 games do you have? Might have some stuff in there that will shoot up in price.

More stuff showed up today. Really hyped on these arcade marquees that I bought though.
PRiEHBw.jpg
rN9xDgZ.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017