• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
The thing that's killing me right now is I really want to play Gunlord on my system, but can't. There are no dumps available for the NeoSD and it's impossible to find on MVS. And, if I did, it would be $500. The AES version sells regularly for over a grand. I know I can get it on Dreamcast, but I haven't bought a Toro for my setup and honestly don't know if that's another rabbit hole I want to go down right now.
Are there no dumps available period? If so, that's suprising.

OP
OP
Superblatt

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Are there no dumps available period? If so, that's suprising.

Zero. Zilch. Nada. NG Dev Team is still making games, so the community has actually done the right thing and not released any of their games outside of the real carts. The same goes for Knight's Chance, by Jeff Kurtz, who is the guy that sold me my minty fresh Analogue CMVS.

I've done enough asking around on the Neo Geo board and google searching to determine these games, including Gunlord, have not been dumped anywhere. It's bizare to think I can have every commercially released Neo Geo title on my NeoSD, but the homebrew style releases that have come out in the last 5 years are a no go. In addition, there are plenty of guys that claim the NeoSD doesn't have enough memory to support the later NG Dev Team releases (although Gunlord should work). The MVS and AES carts for these titles are all now easily north of $500. Many are well into the $1k+ territory.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
i mean, i feel you, but a toro's less than $100, haha

also i do wish more small/indie devs let you pick up a legit ROM from them, for whatever price they think is fair - can't be more than what those carts are asking

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Lol, I just checked and NeoSDs are out of stock :(
I hope that sale price still applies when they go back up, otherwise I might have to wait a while

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Are you looking direct from Krizz or Stone Age Gamer?
I was looking direct (assuming you mean NeoSDStore) but both seem to be out of stock.
Stone Age seems to be slightly cheaper for me though, so worth keeping an eye on. Edit: lol nvm $62 shipping + $32 sales tax makes that very not worthwhile. Will wait on NeoSDStore.

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Oh I did not know we have a general retro thread!
I recently started a thread regarding this topic myself as I want to start buying old systems and games.

• What systems do you collect for and why?
    I started buying a classic Gameboy and some games, all with original packaging, which is very important to me (but very expensive of course)
    Basically I want at least the systems frm my childhood and the ones I have the most memories of.
  • What are you looking for right now? It's all about the hunt!
    I want to get into Sega systems, especially Genesis/MegaDrive and that Saturn for some sweet arcade goodness.
    NES/SNES as well because I do want to have a complete collection of Contra and Castlevania games up to PS
  • What city are you in? (could be good for RetroEra meet ups)
    I live in Austria :)
So I guess step 1 would be getting a Framemeister?
Step 2 get the systems (all PAL systems of Genesis, NES and SNES have RGB out I think? please correct me)
And then the games of course! This region thing is the worst part right now - do I buy PAL or NTSC? Which games work? Should I get one of those nice emulation cartridges? Lot's of options...

khaz

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess step 1 would be getting a Framemeister?

Have you considered a CRT TV? In your country they should be plentiful and cheap, and come with a Scart input to give you glorious RGB.

This region thing is the worst part right now - do I buy PAL or NTSC?

Depends on the console, depends on the game. Better to ask in the specific consoles threads.
If the framerate is tied to the console, like the Megadrive, then you can get cheap PAL cartridges and play them at 60Hz with a modded or import console.
If it's tied to the game, like the PS1, you'll have to import the games and import or mod the console.
Getting an Everdrive is always a good idea. If your unsure about the framerate or import-friendliness of a game, you can try them beforehand.

OP
OP
Superblatt

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
For those asking and curious:

If you're seriously looking to get the most out of your consoles, be prepared to go down a very deep hole that includes modding systems, buying specific cables and running it all through a Framemeister or OSSC. I was originally a PVM/BVM CRT guy until I started to see image degradation on those monitors, and realized that it would be virtually impossible to keep them up and running for the next 25-40 years. If you want to go the "cheap" route, look on craigslist or facebook marketplace for a Sony CRT --- but make sure you ask questions here before you buy. Many people jump into that solution too quickly, and buy an HD CRT that doesn't properly support 240p.

It's taken me close to 4 years to get ALMOST all of the consoles I want running via true RGB over scart through the framemeister:
Saturn, Genesis, PC Engine Duo-R, Neo Geo, NES, SNES.

I still need to buy a Toro for my Dreamcast and am debating when to jump into N64 (now that the deblur option is available for the N64 RGB board). Suffice it to say, if you decide to jump into this, be prepared to pay.

Btw, on an unrelated note, I just added the official original Xbox thread to the OP.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Superblatt if you're big into the N64 consider the UltraHDMI kit. If you don't have an NS1 N64 the kit ends up being the same cost as an RGB kit, but the IMHO the big benefit is you don't have to worry about resolution changes. Which there's a bunch on the N64 that do. For me a big game is KI Gold and that thing changes resolution during gameplay all the time. Basically unplayable through a Framemeister or OSSC, you won't have that issue with the UltraHDMI. Just a thought.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Superblatt if you're big into the N64 consider the UltraHDMI kit. If you don't have an NS1 N64 the kit ends up being the same cost as an RGB kit, but the IMHO the big benefit is you don't have to worry about resolution changes. Which there's a bunch on the N64 that do. For me a big game is KI Gold and that thing changes resolution during gameplay all the time. Basically unplayable through a Framemeister or OSSC, you won't have that issue with the UltraHDMI. Just a thought.
How does it handle 480i? Pass through or line double?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
For my first big retro console purchase (Mega Drive) I ordered a OSSC (the new one has HDMI and digital audio output). Hopefully I will get everything this or next week. I am quite nervous regarding NTSC<>PAL but we will see how that goes - ultimately I will mod it I guess :)

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
How does it handle 480i? Pass through or line double?

I'm not sure and I don't have a solid answer for you. I can tell you it doesn't pass through, as you can't output a 240p or 480i signal over the HDMI port with it. The lowest res it goes is 480p. I don't know if this has changed on current firmwares (I don't have an N64 flashcart yet to update the firmware on mine) but on the older ones it did have some combing artifacts in 480i games during movement. So it wouldn't be noticeable in a menu. (I don't know if that helps tell you how it's handling 480i) My Life in Gaming has a good bit about it in their N64 RGB video. This is based on a review unit with near final firmware from mid 2015 https://youtu.be/qpy1M6v2_MI?t=12m so some of this may have been updated/improved since then.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure and I don't have a solid answer for you. I can tell you it doesn't pass through, as you can't output a 240p or 480i signal over the HDMI port with it. The lowest res it goes is 480p. I don't know if this has changed on current firmwares (I don't have an N64 flashcart yet to update the firmware on mine) but on the older ones it did have some combing artifacts in 480i games during movement. So it wouldn't be noticeable in a menu. (I don't know if that helps tell you how it's handling 480i) My Life in Gaming has a good bit about it in their N64 RGB video. This is based on a review unit with near final firmware from mid 2015 https://youtu.be/qpy1M6v2_MI?t=12m so some of this may have been updated/improved since then.
The the literature I can find seems to suggest it combines both fields in one buffer. Which makes sense because it does scale rather than just multiply. If it's just tossing them together without edge detection and motion compensation, then that explains the combing. It'll have a sharper picture than a multiplier as a result, it can make things look more jagged too.

OP
OP
Superblatt

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

So even the new Rgb board from Tim Worthington with the deblur option will create this issue? I've looked at the HDMI N64, and the cost for a premodded system is north of $500. That's nuts for a N64.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
So even the new Rgb board from Tim Worthington with the deblur option will create this issue? I've looked at the HDMI N64, and the cost for a premodded system is north of $500. That's nuts for a N64.

If you're going through an OSSC or Framemeister then yeah any time the resolution changes the screen is going to black out. The OSSC is supposed to be faster, but I believe its somewhat based on how fast your tv and the device can redo the HDMI handshake. So your tv can play into it too.

The DeBlur option doesn't do anything to the resolution change thing, its just undoing some of the N64's native blurring.

If you already have an N64 I wouldn't buy a pre-modded one, just follow game-tech.us or one of the other modders/sellers selling the kits and watch for a pre-order. Buying the kit and having it installed will be less than half of a pre-modded system.

OP
OP
Superblatt

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
If you're going through an OSSC or Framemeister then yeah any time the resolution changes the screen is going to black out. The OSSC is supposed to be faster, but I believe its somewhat based on how fast your tv and the device can redo the HDMI handshake. So your tv can play into it too.

The DeBlur option doesn't do anything to the resolution change thing, its just undoing some of the N64's native blurring.

If you already have an N64 I wouldn't buy a pre-modded one, just follow game-tech.us or one of the other modders/sellers selling the kits and watch for a pre-order. Buying the kit and having it installed will be less than half of a pre-modded system.

Huh, now I'm confused lol. I was convinced the new RGB 64 with deblur was my solution, and I'm not sure why if all other consoles work perfectly on my setup this system wouldn't?

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, now I'm confused lol. I was convinced the new RGB 64 with deblur was my solution, and I'm not sure why if all other consoles work perfectly on my setup this system wouldn't?

I think you're confusing things here. It's not that it wouldn't work. It's that any game (and this will happen on other consoles too) that has a resolution switch, running through the OSSC or Framemeister will black out when that happens. Some games that doesn't impact things too much, other games can be rendered unplayable from it. A game like Killer Instinct Gold that has a different resolution before the matches means depending on how long that blanking takes you could be taking hits before the screen has come back. Same thing in the Resident Evil games (well at least 2 on N64 but I believe the PS ones do it as well). Where the menu is 480i and the gameplay is 240p. CRTs handle this resolution change like its nothing, those same consoles running through an OSSC or Framemeister have issues though, and yes the OSSC is faster at the switch but it still blacks out. It's not really an issue on NES, SNES, Genesis, PC Engine, I don't believe so on NeoGeo either, it really started showing up during the PS1/Saturn/N64 gen. Where it seemed like a lot of games used 480i for menus and 240p for gameplay.

You should watch the video I posted in my reply to Televator to understand what the Deblur stuff is doing.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking about getting a OSSC with my tax refund. I want to use it with my Saturn and PS2. Do I need any modifications to the system to use it with that.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
No both of those output a signal that the OSSC can use. You can either use RGB or the HDRetrovision component cables (with saturn adapter) on Saturn, and the PS2 outputs both RGB and component. Though with the PS2s RGB I believe its RGsB, and I can't remember for sure but I BELIEVE it also doesn't support any resolution above 480i out of the box with RGB. With component the few above 480i games are supported.

OP
OP
Superblatt

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Super rare occurrence I stumbled across:

Amazon US has the Bandridge Scart 5 way manual switch available for $60. These are impossible to find new, let alone for under $100. I just bought one to complete my setup as I needed two. It says there are only two left....so somebody should jump on them while they're left.

Bandridge Premium Performance 5 Way SCART Selector Switching Box https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015YYN1W/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_l9CQAbR3ZJA7W

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Is that the one that needs to be opened up and cut a trace to stop backfeeding power to the console you're not using?

HotStunt

Oct 27, 2017
Super rare occurrence I stumbled across:

Amazon US has the Bandridge Scart 5 way manual switch available for $60. These are impossible to find new, let alone for under $100. I just bought one to complete my setup as I needed two. It says there are only two left....so somebody should jump on them while they're left.

Bandridge Premium Performance 5 Way SCART Selector Switching Box https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015YYN1W/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_l9CQAbR3ZJA7W

Thanks for the heads up. Nabbed one. Still says 2 available though.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I always thought it was funny when RetroRGB would mention it because people wouldn't listen to his disclaimer of "this is a last resort for games that won't work any other way".

RIP Bob.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
So what do you guys use if a game is really really bad. I only is brasso games that are so bad normal cleaning won't clean the pins.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brasso helped bring back a couple of games that had heavy corrosion for me. *Shrugs*

I guess, just don't make it your number one method of cleaning contacts.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
So what do you guys use if a game is really really bad. I only is brasso games that are so bad normal cleaning won't clean the pins.

In the very rare occasions that a white staedtler eraser and isopropyl alcohol aren't enough, I will use a bit of Deoxit, or Deoxit gold. Deoxit is something made for improving metal contacts for electronics WITH OUT wearing down any of the actual metal. Brasso is a metal polish and any time you polish something you're stripping away some of the surface layer, that's the goal of it.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing that PS360 games are holding value. It used to be that when a new generation came, people got rid of their games for 5 bucks a pop or something.

What anoys me most is when local app sellers post their games for ebay shipped prices when they don't even gotta worry about shipping, PP, and eBay fees.

Anyway, lucky for me I found an ebayer selling sealed new Alice games for the same price people are asking for used a minute ago.

OP
OP
Superblatt

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I'm seeing that PS360 games are holding value. It used to be that when a new generation came, people got rid of their games for 5 bucks a pop or something.

What anoys me most is when local app sellers post their games for ebay shipped prices when they don't even gotta worry about shipping, PP, and eBay fees.

Anyway, lucky for me I found an ebayer selling sealed new Alice games for the same price people are asking for used a minute ago.

It depends on the game. Very cool to hear you grabbed Alice — been meaning to buy that for a long time now. If you don't mind passing along the seller, let me know. :-)

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
In the very rare occasions that a white staedtler eraser and isopropyl alcohol aren't enough, I will use a bit of Deoxit, or Deoxit gold. Deoxit is something made for improving metal contacts for electronics WITH OUT wearing down any of the actual metal. Brasso is a metal polish and any time you polish something you're stripping away some of the surface layer, that's the goal of it.

Cool I'll make sure to try that. If I use Brasso I only use a small amount because I heard it can damage games. I'll use that instead.

I haven't seen too many really cheap Ps3 / 360 games but I have noticed Wii U games tanked in value. I've been able to pick up a lot of titles for cheap.

Shuri

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the reasons that you don't see the homebrew stuff available online is that the Neo-Geo community is very small and works like the mob. Heck, Razoola's original release of Crossed Sword 2 MVS has the nickname of the purchaser encrypted into the rom, so it's all traceable. I believe A Knight's Chance is also using this.

Crossed Sword 2 is really fun, btw.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Just found out Panza Dragoon Orta has a copy of the original Panzer Dragoon in it. I know what I'm playing tonight.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BTW, the file explorer launching method works for tons of games with unlockable games in them. Sometimes it can even be worth picking up a shitty game just to exploit it for the unlockable game. lol

You can go as far as to copy the unluckable game's folder to the root of your game directory and then you can launch it directly as a a standalone and delete the shitty main game.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
it looks so good through component

r9jG0Xa.jpg

Xg4Rh0w.jpg

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if PAL WEGAs support NTSC signals? Thinking of getting one seeing as they're so abundant and cheap in comparison to Sony's PVM and BVM line.

They should if they have SCART inputs but this will be the EURO SCART not the JP21. I had a few PAL Sony triniton TV's from 1991+ and they had no problem displaying modified RGB pc engine/DUO and USA RGB SNES.

EDIT:

Had these models

$_86.JPG

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there known Sega Genesis counterfeit carts out there? I got my Model 2 fixed up and wanted to start buying some games for it finally.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
There are known counerfeit carts yeah, but its not a huge problem as for certain nintendo-systems.