• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
BXE7q1Y.jpg

The OG retro game podcast that's still kicking despite going through several metamorphoses –some more moth than butterfly– in the past decade. Hosted by Jeremy Parish and Bob Mackey, and featuring guests such as Ray Barnholt, Chris Kohler, Kat Bailey (Scott Sharkey and Jenn Frank if you're feeling extra retro) and more over the years. They've covered just about everything, and recently even started covering things that aren't Japanese!

BmT9JLA.jpg

Homepages
retronauts.com
retronauts.libsyn.com

Episodes 1-100
From the Hallowed Halls of 1Up
archive.org/details/Retronauts1-100

The Experimental Years
Bob Goes Electric
archive.org/details/RetronautsLivePrimeOther

Volumes III, IV, and More!
Everything Post-1Up
retronauts.libsyn.com

Jeremy's Youtube
Covering Gameboy, NES, SNES, N64 games and more
youtube.com/user/toastyfrog/

Twitter
Where Jeremy makes maps and mixed drinks, and Bob posts bird gifs about some old cartoon
twitter.com/gamespite
twitter.com/bobservo
twitter.com/retronauts

Patreon
#supportourboys
patreon.com/retronauts
uNwoFXR.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I was a huge fan of next week's (this week for Patreon subscribers) look at Breath of the Wild and it's origins in earlier games. I have absolutely no problem with them doing more episodes like this. I don't care if the games are "retro" or not, I just like listening to Jeremy and Bob talk about games, like I'd like to hear an ep with Bob talking about Danganronpa or Jeremy talking about Etrian Odyssey (just a couple examples of recent games they've talked about on twitter).

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The Breath of the Wild/Zelda roots episode has gone over really well, so I have plenty more queued up for the next few sessions. I'm sure Bob will do likewise from time to time, too!

I'd like to have Sharkey and Jenn on again, but they've both bowed out of the public eye for this sort of thing. Jenn especially, and I absolutely respect the boundaries she's drawn up and her reasons for doing so.

Oct 25, 2017
The Breath of the Wild/Zelda roots episode has gone over really well, so I have plenty more queued up for the next few sessions. I'm sure Bob will do likewise from time to time, too!

I'd like to have Sharkey and Jenn on again, but they've both bowed out of the public eye for this sort of thing. Jenn especially, and I absolutely respect the boundaries she's drawn up and her reasons for doing so.

Glad to hear it Jeremy! Keep up the great work. You guys have been especially good this year.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I do love when the show goes "off script" a bit and starts delving more into broader cultural trends and historical precedent. That dudebro games episode (sorry I'm forgetting the actual title at the moment) was another good example.
Yeah that's absolutely fair, especially for Jenn. She was such a great podcast guest, though!

I had hoped Sharkey's appearance on that live show (was it last year's PRGE? or possibly just a dream I had) was him dipping his toe back in the water.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to hear that about Jenn, but who can blame her? Secret best guest (sorry Shane).

I hope you can have Jeff Green on again sometime. Made me remember his (friendly) rivalry with Retronauts in the GFW days, and it was just a fun episode all around.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
Great to see a Retronauts thread on here! JeremyParish I am really impressed with amount of content you and Bob have been putting out since you've become Patreon funded. I actually have a backlog of episodes to get through at this point, but I always want to make sure I have enough time to listen to each one in its entirety. I also agree that the "off script" stuff is really fun and interesting too. Keep up the great work!

Cyan

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent OP. I'm behind on episodes again, so much stuff to listen to right now. Thread watched!

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the season, I think I need to listen to the Survival Horror (my favorite), Resident Evil and Silent Hill episodes.

If there's ever another Silent Hill episode, getting Voidburger back on again would be cool. She was a good guest, and she also really got into the minutiae of PT/Silent Hills before its demise: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGrateDebate/videos
A full series retrospective since now it's DEAD *softly weeps* would be good.

survivor

Oct 25, 2017
I have been falling behind on episodes because I keep listening to Bob's other podcast, Talking Simpsons which is pretty great! Need to listen to their Mario Sunshine episode soon.

Neifirst

Oct 27, 2017
The podcast really has been on fire recently and it's nice to see we may get some good discussion over here. Besides the classic Survival Horror episode, I still go back to the Phantasy Star and Sega Saturn ones from the 1up days every year or two.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Glad to have you here.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
The podcast really has been on fire recently and it's nice to see we may get some good discussion over here. Besides the classic Survival Horror episode, I still go back to the Phantasy Star and Sega Saturn ones from the 1up days every year or two.
Yep. Those are the two I've listened to the most over the years.

Oct 28, 2017
Retronauts remains the only video game related podcast I listen to, and with good reason. I can't get enough of their over detailed, charmingly dry evaluation of gaming's roots. I've learned so much from Jeremy and Bob over the years. I still have my t-shirt, button, and sticker from donating to their Kickstarter after the 1UP debacle - it's a shame that DVD never came through. Release the footage on Youtube, oh, and bring back Chris Kohler!

quincognito

Oct 25, 2017
The podcast really has been on fire recently

Yeah I don't want to try to weigh it against the heights of "classic" Retronauts (which was made by almost all different people in a very different time and circumstance) but this is absolutely the best the show has been since I started listening as the show was coming out, back in the Retronauts Live era. Great depth and selection of topics, great guests, and Bob and Jeremy both sound pretty enthused about everything.

Random question: how is the episode order determined? It was a bit spooky listening to the Maniac Mansion episode and hearing the discussion about hypothetically doing a Zork episode that I'd already listened to weeks earlier, heh.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't want to try to weigh it against the heights of "classic" Retronauts (which was made by almost all different people in a very different time and circumstance) but this is absolutely the best the show has been since I started listening as the show was coming out, back in the Retronauts Live era. Great depth and selection of topics, great guests, and Bob and Jeremy both sound pretty enthused about everything.
For sure. I have to imagine Jeremy making Retronauts a full-time affair reinvigorated things a bit.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Is Christian Nutt still in the Bay area? I'd love to hear him on another nerdy-ass deep dive into some B-tier JRPGs or something. Maybe a revisitation of Falcom or Phantasy Star?
Bob's full time between this and Talking Simpsons too, which I imagine is probably more enjoyable and at this point even more reliable than game industry writing gigs.
Yeah, both sound more enjoyable and more fulfilling to me.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Is Christian Nutt still in the Bay area? I'd love to hear him on another nerdy-ass deep dive into some B-tier JRPGs or something. Maybe a revisitation of Falcom or Phantasy Star?

Yeah, both sound more enjoyable and more fulfilling to me.
i asked about christian a few months ago and i think jeremy said christian basically quit games stuff after gamergate :(
i'd love to have him on again, but it seems he's steering clear of this stuff

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
Retronauts is pretty much the only gaming podcast I listen regularly. I've learned so much about gaming history and played many great games thanks to it. Keep up the good work, Jeremy and Bob. :)

bobafettjm

Oct 29, 2017
Retronauts is my go-to phone podcast while working, shoveling snow, dog walking, ect. It makes the time pass by so fast. I am always entertained by all the personalities on the show.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
So I have the old feed on Google play music but uh, I'm caught up and it's gone now? How do I get the new feed?

Our current host doesn't support Google Play, I don't think, but the current feed is on iTunes, PodcastOne, etc.

Random question: how is the episode order determined? It was a bit spooky listening to the Maniac Mansion episode and hearing the discussion about hypothetically doing a Zork episode that I'd already listened to weeks earlier, heh.

It's a complex mathematical formula involving the timing of upcoming anniversaries, relevant new releases, and totally random whim… weighted heavily toward that third factor.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait to hear Jeremy and Bob's thoughts on Odyssey - especially following on from the Sunshine episode.

Guamu

Oct 27, 2017
Glad there's a new thread here.

And Jeremy finally destroyed the secret best username that only people named Shane could call him by.

Lyriell

Oct 27, 2017
Man... I hope Sharkey changes his mind and makes another appearance. It was great to hear him interact like old times with the rest.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:
OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, If anyone has a link to the old Retronauts Bonus Stage video episodes scavenged from the rubble of Gamevideos, I would love to see them again and add them to the OP. I seem to recall some pretty great short interview/documentaries on Nobuo Uematsu and Yoshitaka Amano as well. They weren't specifically Retronauts, but hey. I haven't seen that stuff in years and I hope it's not all lost to time.

Last edited:

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
By the way, If anyone has a link to the old Retronauts Bonus Stage video episodes scavenged from the rubble of Gamevideos, I would love to see them again and add them to the OP. I seem to recall some pretty great short interview/documentaries on Nobuo Uematsu and Yoshitaka Amano as well. They weren't specifically Retronauts, but hey. I haven't seen that stuff in years and I hope it's not all lost to time.

I'm 99% certain the Bonus Stage stuff was lost to time. It wasn't GREAT material, but I think it could have gotten there in time… I was just starting to understand video editing. Man, I wish I had access to cameras and people like that now and could make videos that aren't just me doing V.O. atop game footage.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 99% certain the Bonus Stage stuff was lost to time. It wasn't GREAT material, but I think it could have gotten there in time… I was just starting to understand video editing. Man, I wish I had access to cameras and people like that now and could make videos that aren't just me doing V.O. atop game footage.
That's a shame. Just like with video game preservation though, it's better to preserve the material whether or not it's great. I was listening to the 2016 PRGE Retronauts retrospective episode and when I heard you all mention those early videos I figured I should at least ask on here.

And if it's any consolation, I like your videos that are just VO on top of game footage.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Oh, the VO videos are fine and I'm happy with the level of quality I've managed to train myself up to, but I wish I had the capacity to do more ambitious things.