• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
sc5itm.png

An Insurance Adventure with Minimal Colour

Developer:
Lucas Pope

Release Date:
Oct 18, 2018
Oct 18, 2019 (for consoles)

Platforms:
PC/ Mac/PS4/ XB1/Switch

Price:
$19.99

obradinndeskrk47.png

In Return of the Obra Dinn, the player takes the role of an insurance adjuster for the London office East India Company in 1807. The Obra Dinn, insured by the East India Company, had previously gone missing in 1803 as it was to sail around the Cape of Good Hope, but since washed up in port with all of its sixty-man crew dead or missing. The player is tasked to determine the fate of all of the crew members, including their names, where and how they met their fate, if they were killed, who their killer was, and their location should they be alive.

The game is played out from a first-person view, allowing the player to explore the Obra Dinn, using a monochromatic dithering style that mimics approaches that games on early home computers like the Macintosh had used to simulate shading and color. To help complete the task, the player is given a log book that includes a drawing of all the crew members, the crew roster, and layouts of the ship. They are also given the "Memento Mortem", a pocket watch-like device that can be activated when the player encounters one of the corpses on the ship. The Memento Mortem plays back the audio of the moments before the person's death, and allows the player to explore the area around the frozen moment of death to identify who was present and other visual details. Once players have seen each moment, the log book automatically fills in some of the details of that event (such as the location, the visual identity of the crew members present at the event, and the dialog heard in the moments before death), allowing the player to cross reference this information with other information already learned. In some cases, the Memento Mortem will react following this process to reveal another death, guiding the player to where that corpse lays before repeating the investigation process. Certain sections of the ship are not available until the player has observed all the death moments in a certain area. The player can review these memories at any time to observe any new clues they might have missed following later investigation.

Ultimately, Return of the Obra Dinn is a large logic puzzle requiring the player to use deductive reasoning to determine the fate of each crew member; fates are selected from a predefined list of verbs - because some of the deaths are visually ambiguous, the game allows for some leeway and accepts more than one solution. The game does not provide explicit clues for how each crew member died or towards their identity, requiring the player to narrow possibilities down by exclusion. The player can refine their guesses as they gain more information; the game is only over once the player has correctly identified the names and fates. When a player has properly established the names and reasons for death for any three, the game affirms this information to the player, locking those changes and effectively reducing the complexity of the puzzle.

obradinnmed03qnj93.png

obradinnrece247jzw.png

Destructoid 9.5/10
This is a game I can not stop thinking about. I think about it at work -- either remembering crazy moments I didn't see coming, or reflecting on recently discovered information and its implications. This is absolutely a "thinking man's game," and it's one that I hope other developers (or Mr. Pope himself) decide to ape and expand on. Despite the fact that this isn't a detective game, I've never felt more like a dick.

Washington Post 9/10
The Return of the Obra Dinn is a stunning work of craftsmanship. Pope, who handled every aspect of its production himself, has created a work that celebrates scrutinizing details.

Gamespot 9/10
Delivers a wonderfully evocative method of storytelling as you gain glimpses into the lives of each person on board at vital moments along the Obra Dinn's journey and piece together who they were, what they had to deal, what motivated them, and how they responded when tragedy struck. You may only see them in scratchy monochrome stills and hear them in brief snatches of urgent conversation, if at all, but if you're paying attention then you should feel like you know (almost) every one of these sixty people intimately by the end of the game.

metacritic
opencritic

RELEVANT THREADS

Return of the Obra Dinn OT (original release)
Return of the Obra Dinn was amazing! Any other games like it?
Return of the Obra Dinn is the best detective game since Crime and Punishment and Her Story
Lucas Pope talks Switch Port
Papers, Please OT

ABOUT THE DEVELOPER

Lucas Pope is an American-born video game developer, currently residing in Saitama, Japan. He is best known for independent, experimental games, notably for his 2013 game Papers, Please and his 2018 game Return of the Obra Dinn, both of which won the Seumas McNally Grand Prize as part of the Independent Games Festival, among other awards

obradinn.gif

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Game of the Generation for me. One of the very few games that doesn't overstay its welcome, but makes you feel empty when you're done with it.

I want the soundtrack tattooed into my eardrums.

Also, going in blind makes the experience even better.

The most important hint / tip anyone should know is this:
If you think the solution to a certain death is somewhat ambiguous, the game will accept multiple solutions as the correct one. (like, 'stabbed' 'spiked' 'impaled' might be equally correct. - the game doesn't argue semantics, really.)

Last edited:

funroll-loops

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah this was my favorite game of last year. Thinking about replaying it just to see what details I missed the first time. When I first saw the screenshots I thought that this was the point where indie devs had finally gone too far with the retro art stuff, but it works really well for the game and you can see why it was chosen for a one-man project like this.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Gobsmackingly gorgeous and wonderful game. A gripping yarn with a spectacular soundtrack and story.

Everyone owes it to themselves to own it. I don't know how it would feel playing it a second time having experienced it the once, but I'm very tempted to double dip on consoles just to see how a second play-through feels, (and to support Lucas).

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
One of my favorite games of this gen. Absolutely wonderful detective gameplay, some of the most rewarding and satisfying stuff I've seen in this genre. The atmosphere of the ship is lovely too.

I'm tempted to buy it again for the Switch, but I think I'll wait for a physical release before I double dip.

Hope all the newcomers have a great time!

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Hands down the best detective game ever made because it's one of the few where you're actually doing DEDUCTION WITH YOUR BRAIN and not just checking off clues. The only game where I sat there scratching my head wondering if what I heard was a Scottish or Irish accent. Or whether horizontal striped shirts really were an indicator of someone being French.

And the music is to die for. Play this with headphones.

BUY THIS GAME.

Disclaimer: There can be a bit of backtracking in the second half if you're trying to 100% it. Shame there's no map warping feature. But it's a small trade-off for what is a genre-defining game.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
One of my favorite games of this gen. Absolutely wonderful detective gameplay, some of the most rewarding and satisfying stuff I've seen in this genre. The atmosphere of the ship is lovely too.

I'm tempted to buy it again for the Switch, but I think I'll wait for a physical release before I double dip.

Hope all the newcomers have a great time!

Its the kind of game I'd love to have physically just to "own", I'd be all over a limited physical release should we see one.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whoa wait, is Switch getting a staggered release or the same time as the other consoles? I thought Switch would come out later?

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm super intrigued and I've always wanted to play it but I'm waist deep in DQXI and Luigi's Mansion is coming out right afterwards D:

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
I'm very excited to dip my toes in to this game, I've been specifically holding out for a Switch port.

Now I'm just trying to decide whether I buy it now or wait for a potential physical version...

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
For the most impatient, it's now available for pre-order on PSN (Australia/NZ). The rest should follow during the day.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Any reason why the Switch performance would suffer? Or think it would be a nice play?

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
What's the story behind these release prices? It seems to be 19,99€ on Xbox Live, but 23,99€ on PSN, and both of them are higher than its original price on GOG or Steam (16,79€).

I haven't seen the price on Switch yet.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Play this game, it's a really good puzzle/investigation experience.

And try to play it when you have 2-3 free days, the best way to complete it is quickly as you will need to memorize lots of details.

TheTruth

Jul 23, 2018
Does this game has a chance to hook the player who doesn't like puzzle/adventure games? I like watching other people playing it, but as I tried playing the Witness myself I just dropped it.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
One of my absolute favourite games. Brilliantly fun and actually made me use the wonders of my brain. Bless Lucas Pope. 🙏

Very happy for all console players 😊

sQr

Jun 28, 2019
I'm not really happy with the price difference on Playstation, but i don't care. It's a must buy.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I completely missed this was out so soon! Been waiting for this to play the game so hyped for tonight and tomorrow.

birdinsky

Jun 10, 2019
Agreed that it's the best detective game - really ever, to be honest. Amazingly unique in that regard.

Does this game has a chance to hook the player who doesn't like puzzle/adventure games? I like watching other people playing it, but as I tried playing the Witness myself I just dropped it.

As someone who does like puzzle/adventure games, I think it's really pretty different. Honestly, there's nothing that I can really compared it to. The core mechanic of identifying people and deducing how they died from memory fragments using a large palette of clues -- it's really only detective game that made ME feel like a detective, rather than a player playing a detective. That said, it does involve a lot of poring over details and testing theories, so if the overall process doesn't appeal to you, you may not like it as much.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This price difference between platforms is weird. I want to buy it on PS4 but it's £2 more expensive than on Switch or Xbox here.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
So happy for the switch players! I wish I could play this for the first time again, the feeling of solving the murders can't be matched. First time I had a bunch of papers with names next to me as well.

And the OST is so damn good.