• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

This update also includes numerous bug fixes and quality-of-life improvements.
housemarque.com

Returnal Patch 2.0 — Housemarque

Patch 2.0 is now live. Reminder that if you have the automatic updates turned on, the game will close while in rest mode in order to install the update. New features: Suspend Cycle - Pause the cycle and resume your run later! Photo Mode - Capture the bullet-hell action or the dark b

Hello everyone! Over the last few months, we have been having a great time seeing you play Returnal and learning about your experiences, and hearing all the great stories of how players are overcoming the myriad challenges of Atropos. It's had a fantastic reception, and we are truly pleased and grateful to see people having so much fun with the game. Here at Housemarque we've been listening to all your feedback too, and so it is with great satisfaction that I'm here to announce our update 2.0, launching today.

Suspend Cycle

One of the main features of this update is the Suspend Cycle functionality, which will allow you to pause your cycle to be continued later, letting you exit the game and turn off your console without losing your progress in that session. The structure of the game remains unchanged, so this functionality is not a traditional mid-game "Save Game" option: by suspending the cycle, Returnal will simply create a single use suspend point, and once you resume playing the suspend point is deleted and cannot be used again. Your game will continue directly from the moment you left it, and if you want to suspend the cycle again, your progress will be captured from that new point onwards. There are some limitations in place – for example, players won't be able to create a suspend point during Boss battles, cinematics, first-person sequences or during intense combat scenarios – as we felt there are certain moments in Returnal that are best experienced unfragmented to preserve the intended challenge and flow.

With this approach, we can keep the roguelike spirit and "high stakes" commitment to your run intact, while still providing some quality-of-life convenience for players who like to experience Returnal in shorter bursts. So next time you're deep into a lengthy session on Atropos and life comes knocking at your door, you'll be able to simply Suspend Cycle and jump back in at a more convenient time.

Photo Mode

Along with the Suspend functionality, we have also been working on another feature that's been highly requested by the community and will also be included in this update: Photo Mode. Selene's journey through Atropos is filled with many memorable moments that are worth cherishing; whether it's dancing on the knife's edge amidst intense bullet hell combat, or taking a fleeting moment of serenity to appreciate the eerie atmosphere and dark beauty of Atropos, our Photo Mode will allow you to immortalize these moments in all their glory.

At any point during the game (except some limited circumstances like our first-person sequences), you can simply pause the game and enter Photo Mode, which will put you in control of the camera. You can then use the analog sticks and the adaptive triggers to move the camera around and pick the perfect angle for your photo.

blog.playstation.com

Returnal 2.0 update brings Suspend Cycle and Photo Mode

The update is live today, letting players pause their cycle and enjoy the beauty of Atropos in Photo Mode.

Last edited:

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
TAyz6RW.png

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
hellllll yes

i'll have to pick this up soon. fantastic game, not being able to save mid-run was one of my main issues

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
They did the suspend cycle the way I was hoping they would.

Bit disappointed there isn't more to the update with a title like that (they're probably is though)

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully all those folks on here who said they'd buy it if you could save mid-run put their money where their mouth is.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Damn no new content :(

I was so excited when i saw the 6gb beta update but it was only for this.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Easily my GotY. Anyone who likes hard games & has a PS5 should definitely give it a shot.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
This system they are using is a good middle point I think, now people can exit the game without concerns about their run but it's still ''faithful'' with what they were aiming for with the whole Cycles thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Very thankful for this, it's a great game but not having that feature from the get-go is frankly baffling considering it doesn't really break the structure of how the game is designed at all. Hopefully this will allow a lot more people to experience it if they were put off by it's nature before.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Obviously it had to be this week. Let's hope this helps it get to more people (considering there's no new SIE game until February, it shouldn't be that hard).

PS: Please, add more content!