• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

Lmaoooo. When asked to clarify his statements he's like "nah, i'm too ignorant". Also, this statement is quite telling "Then making up a narrative to serve your clear bias about the #qanon 8chan discussions. "

This reminds me the discussions I have with my mother. "You must listen to me, because all opinions must be heard. Even if you don't like them."

Yeah, well... I don't want to hear your homophobic or misogynist opinion or conspiracy bullshit. You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking that.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK. This is going to sound like whataboutism. And I swear it's not intentional. I've just been trying to understand what the goal here. Specifically regarding Reuben's shitty opinions. Are people who have shitty opinions not allowed to have jobs? I mean we literally have a thread on the same page where an actor committed a crime and the comments are exact opposite. People are mad at Sega for dropping an actor...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/up...-team-in-the-west.106221/page-2#post-18993871
One man used a recreational substance that only hurts himself, the other doubled down on his long history of supporting conspiracy groups that directly lead to terrorist attacks.

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017
OK. This is going to sound like whataboutism. And I swear it's not intentional. I've just been trying to understand what the goal here. Specifically regarding Reuben's shitty opinions. Are people who have shitty opinions not allowed to have jobs? I mean we literally have a thread on the same page where an actor committed a crime and the comments are exact opposite. People are mad at Sega for dropping an actor...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/up...-team-in-the-west.106221/page-2#post-18993871

EDIT: As a disclaimer because I know I will be accused of something. I don't like DMC, I didin't know who this guy was until yesterday, I strongly disagree with pretty much every opinion he has.

Your first mistake is equating laws with morals. Of these 2 situations, one of these people is a shitty human being. The other just not following a law.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Pretty sure in most jobs if you air offensive or inappropriate views on social media you can be disciplined for it.

Capcom and other companies won't want to deal with someone so toxic who can hurt their brand with their views

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017

Lmaoooo. When asked to clarify his statements he's like "nah, i'm too ignorant". Also, this statement is quite telling "Then making up a narrative to serve your clear bias about the #qanon 8chan discussions. "

Really disappointing to hear all of this. Still more confused by the Morrison thing, not sure how the hell that even happened.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It doesn't sound like whataboutism. It is whataboutism.

As far as addressing your point, I don't think someone abusing cocaine is the same thing as someone sharing conspiracy theories and shitting on BLM and #metoo. You obviously think otherwise.

As far as having shitty opinions and the whole job thing, people are allowed to have jobs with shitty opinions and companies are allowed to dump them for those shitty opinions. Reuben's opinions are dangerous and indifferent to the sufferings of others. The Japanese dude who snorted coke is damaging himself. If you can't see the difference between the two and how drug addiction is not the same thing as sharing conspiracy theories, perhaps you should look into what he's sharing and how little he does to articulate or defend it.

But there are laws. I'm not a fan of drug laws, but that's what they are. Laws. There's actual arrest being made.

And? Hundreds of thousands of Americans are in jail for non-violent marijuana possession. It's almost like humans have the capacity to interpret some laws as unjust and some comments as disgusting and make value judgments on them accordingly.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
As far as having shitty opinions and the whole job thing, people are allowed to have jobs with shitty opinions and companies are allowed to dump them for those shitty opinions. Reuben's opinions are dangerous and indifferent to the sufferings of others. The Japanese dude who snorted coke is damaging himself. If you can't see the difference between the two and how drug addiction is not the same thing as sharing conspiracy theories, perhaps you should look into what he's sharing and how little he does to articulate or defend it.
I pretty much agree with all of this. But all of these are opinions while laws are lines set up by society that shouldn't be crossed.

I should probably clarify that I think all drugs should be legal. I'm not disagreeing with any opinions here.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Or they could have Dan Southworth do both Dante and Vergil, since they already auditioned him for Dante for DMC4 and almost gave him the role back then.

This would be a more than acceptable resolution in my opinion. Though, I can't say I wouldn't be interested in seeing how Southworth would try to differentiate his Dante characterization from his Vergil.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Is Reuben Langdon an 8chan user? That's what I'm getting from that new statement at least, but I'm not sure if I'm interpreting that right.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me the discussions I have with my mother. "You must listen to me, because all opinions must be heard. Even if you don't like them."

Yeah, well... I don't want to hear your homophobic or misogynist opinion or conspiracy bullshit. You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking that.
Yup, that's my dad's mindset. In sum and substance: "Criticizing my opinion is the same as taking away my right to my opinion." Also, "it can't be wrong because it's an opinion"

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I kinda expected Langdon would double down in his response but I didn't expect him to randomly mention 8Chan. I guess my low expectations weren't low enough.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not. But I don't agree with drug laws to begin with.

My question is around what is being proposed here. Should people like Rueben not hold a job now? Is that new line we are drawing?

I don't give a fuck what happens to people like Reuben. He can go walk through a tack filled field with no shoes.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Pretty sure in most jobs if you air offensive or inappropriate views on social media you can be disciplined for it.

Capcom and other companies won't want to deal with someone so toxic who can hurt their brand with their views
Big fax, every company I worked at when I waited tables to every firm I've worked at since I got my cpa, has code of conduct policies and a good chunk of em focus on how you can't represent the company in a certain way on social media n such.

So there is plenty of value to voting with your wallet, presenting your disdain of toxic individuals, and forcing the company's hand. Because they will continue to do business as usual, since their goals are ultimately about bottom line.

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017
That's what we agreed on as a society. If not people would go to prison for their morals (or rehabilitation center, or whatever).

Barely 70 years ago, it was illegal for women and minorities to vote. It was legal to enact various genocides that occurred in history. Legality does not indicate right or wrong.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Really disappointing to hear all of this. Still more confused by the Morrison thing, not sure how the hell that even happened.
read this.
https://slate.com/culture/2018/09/b...bob-waksberg-diane-nguyen-representation.html
So that's why I soured on the term "color-blind," because I felt like I was being color-blind. I was just casting whoever was great and I wasn't really thinking about their race, and then I was surprised to discover all the people I thought were great were white people.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doubling down and even bringing up 8Chan?

giphy.gif

M-M

Oct 27, 2017
I pretty much agree with all of this. But all of these are opinions while laws are lines set up by society that shouldn't be crossed.

I should probably clarify that I think all drugs should be legal. I'm not disagreeing with any opinions here.

Just so you know that's literally just an opinion/ideological position that you're taking here, so you are disagreeing with opinions that are more skeptical of the moral authority that the law has in society.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But there are laws. I'm not a fan of drug laws, but that's what they are. Laws. There's actual arrest being made.
Is part of the law in Japan that if you're arrested for a drug offense, all of your professional work needs to be erased?

Nobody's trying to argue in that thread that what he did was legal. They're saying that the response by Sega is unwarranted.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Barely 70 years ago, it was illegal for women and minorities to vote. It was legal to enact various genocides that occurred in history. Legality does not indicate right or wrong.
Is part of the law in Japan that if you're arrested for a drug offense, all of your professional work needs to be erased?

Nobody's trying to argue in that thread that what he did was legal. They're saying that the response by Sega is unwarranted.
Once again. Nothing I'm disagreeing with. But if Capcom gets to fire someone because they have shitty opinions, shouldn't Sega have a right to fire someone for breaking the law?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Once again. Nothing I'm disagreeing with. But if Capcom gets to fire someone because they have shitty opinions, shouldn't Sega have a right to fire someone for breaking the law?
What does their right to do that have to do with our speaking up against an unjust law?

Why are you trying to equate this with us speaking up about a person's bigotry?

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Who was arguing otherwise? This straw man example doesn't fly fam. When people snark about the Sega thing, they are taking a shot at Japanese companies for giving more of a shit about a workers vice (destructive tho it may be) vs hiring folks with gutter trash world views. What Sega did is perfectly fine, but similarly people's response to capcom is also perfectly fine.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Fucking Christ. WHY would you chose to die on the sword for goddamn 8chan and a Voice Actor that has decades of written and video evidence creeping on and sexually harassing 14-17 year old minors.
I'm so tired of this shit.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
If you didn't tell me who that follow up tweet came from, I'd say it was from Trump himself, though it is a bit more articulate...

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But laws are waaaay more important in the society than morals are. You go to prison because of laws but not for the morals...
Currently there aren't any laws that would, let's say, impede people for being anti-LGBT or anti-transpeople. However, it's a moral stance to treat everyone the same regardless of their sexuality. Would you say it's more important that the law is followed and people are allowed their LGBT-phobia or transphobia?

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

What does 8chan have to do with any of this? Why would you ever go to bat for that?

My goodness, between this and the THQ Nordic scandal, this year's off to a terrifying start.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017

EDIT: As a disclaimer because I know I will be accused of something. I don't like DMC, I didin't know who this guy was until yesterday, I strongly disagree with pretty much every opinion he has.
There's shitty opinions and then there's defending sources of radicalization.

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone doing a thread with all Capcom games to boycott? And also add a tag whenever there is a Capcom game on sale?

Or was that just a one time thing?