• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's best to separate the art from the artist. And in this case the art from someone who, to be fair, doesn't have a big role in the actual making of the game and the enjoyment we get out of playing the game.

You directly support the artist by consuming their art. And it's unfair to everyone else that worked on the game but that's just how it is.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I don't expect them to drop him completely out of the series or whatever obviously but I wouldn't be surprised if they mostly keep him around as merely a cameo/bonus character with reused voice clips or some such. Although, I feel like if we'd get another, say, MvC game, Nero would likely be positioned as the DMC rep for instance.
I could see him getting the DMC2 Trish treatment from here on out.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
What's up with celebrities and racism. In that type of business, I would keep my opinion (and actions) to myself and not to the press if I knew my comments was destructive. It's like "Hey, fire me and make sure I never work again in my sector."

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
This guy is unlikely get any royalty based from percentage from profit like few movie actor right?

If so I dont think I would be upset thinking I contribute to his pocket by buying DMC games.

Retro!

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought Langdon was kinda wack performance wise, but respected how enthusiastic he was for the role

Won't miss him

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
I watched that interview a few days ago because of that thread saying that Itsuno was about to resign from Capcom because of DmC. I figured I might as well watch the video after that point because I like Dante and was curious about what his actor was like... and then everything entered crazy land with UFO conspiracies and ancient aliens pseudo spirituality nonsense and I instantly started to realize that this guy was a little nuts.

That's all fine though cause crazy people are interesting and aren't necessarily bad but then he started supporting Trump and saying that black lives matter and me too have "gone too far" and at that point he went from being crazy to being a monster. I will now pretend that Dante is voiced by a sane human being now and not a crazy bigot.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
His stances are reprehensible, but I have no faith in Capcom in changing VAs for future Dante appearances because they could wave it off as "just opinions". :/

Retro!

Oct 25, 2017
This guy is unlikely get any royalty based from percentage from profit like few movie actor right?

If so I dont think I would be upset thinking I contribute to his pocket by buying DMC games.

Royalty deals for VA are very rare in the industry to my knowledge. He's already gotten his check for this

Oct 25, 2017
At least I have hope of them changing Morrison, he has a minor role after all.
I'm not sure how relevant he'll be going forward, but if there's a chance he'll return it better be with a different voice.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing to hear, Reuben always comes across as a really nice guy. Honestly though, I wouldn't bat an eye if he was replaced as Dante and Ken etc. I feel like anyone could do those roles (and probably do a better job at it). If he doesn't understand he's in the wrong then I think it's time to move on from Reuben.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Justice for Drew Coombs, DMC1 Dante is the best Dante.
Langdon was always nuts, but his mocap work is probably his biggest value.

Retro!

Oct 25, 2017
His stances are reprehensible, but I have no faith in Capcom in changing VAs for future Dante appearances because they could wave it off as "just opinions". :/

I don't think they will either. This came out at the wrong time. They're a long ways off before considering DMC6 I feel and by then I think most people will have forgotten or be unaware.

Like apparently his QAnon shit was known going into DMCV but I had no idea

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Making a DMC game without Dante is like making a GoW game without Kratos, or Legend of Zelda without Link.
DMC4 already moved away from Dante being the main series protagonist. I have no doubt in my mind that Nero is being pushed so much because Itsuno wants to soften fans up to the idea that Dante is more of a backseat driver now, especially since Itsuno more likely has a personal preference for Nero being his own creation and all.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, JYB dances circles around Langdon when it comes to the VA performance.
You know I've been trying to figure out what it is that makes me like Nero better then Dante and honestly this might be a big part of it.

JYB manages to pull of both serious and cocky whereas I feel Reuben isn't as good when things get genuinely serious.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
User Banned (1 month): Trolling, excusing bigotry. Previous severe infractions.
Reuben, I hope you get to keep your job because you are a fantastic VA. These folks ain't going to like that. If I was a famous celebrity I would just go with he party line since you an get fired for this

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah... this isn't going to go anywhere. By the time they're making DMC6 nobody will remember this story and they'll have him on a tight leash. Ideally they;'ll just recast for the next game but the likelyhood this story spreads far enough to actually get to Capcom in a substantial way is very low.

Oct 25, 2017
Reuben, I hope you get to keep your job because you are a fantastic VA. These folks ain't going to like that. If I was a famous celebrity I would just go with he party line since you an get fired for this
I mean...the best course is for him to realise how bad these views are, denounce them and we all carry on looking forward..
But it usually doesn't work out like that.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While he acknowledges that women have had it bad for much of history and men are too powerful, he then says movements like this have given women too much power and are now causing the same damage men do, and that they need to bring it back and achieve a perfect balance.
This is CUHRAYZEE, but not in a good way.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
DMC4 already moved away from Dante being the main series protagonist. I have no doubt in my mind that Nero is being pushed so much because Itsuno wants to soften fans up to the idea that Dante is more of a backseat driver now, especially since Itsuno more likely has a personal preference for Nero being his own creation and all.
Yeah but I highly doubt they would completely write Dante off given how much people associate DMC brand to Dante, at least not yet. I just hope they recast Dante, as I still think the Dante character is interesting and has strong screen presence.

Edit: Also gameplay wise Dante is still the best for me, the various style forms are so satisfying to use during battle.

Last edited:

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
If they're anything like the Splinter Cell fanbase when Blacklist happened then loll

or the Vic defenders over Super: Broly.

over a dude that has less than two minutes of dialogue.

alt?

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You know I've been trying to figure out what it is that makes me like Nero better then Dante and honestly this might be a big part of it.

JYB manages to pull of both serious and cocky whereas I feel Reuben isn't as good when things get genuinely serious.
Far as I can tell, Langdon is a stunt performer who so happens to act while JYB decided to really become an actor after his time on Power Rangers, hence his time landing leading roles in animes and video games in the '00s.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you were a famous celebrity you could also not blame the victims of assault for being assaulted

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.webp

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
now I want DMC6 to be
focused entirely on Nero
even more than I did before. Fuck outta here, Langdon.