• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Reuben Langdon, who is the voice and mo-cap actor behind Dante in the Devil May Cry series since Devil May Cry 3, was recently interviewed on YouTube and during said interview an extended discussion about the recent events of his fellow voice actor Vic Mignogna having various sexual harassment allegations against him occurs, in which Langdon says some rather problematic things. For starters it needs to be addressed that Langdon has had a lot going on and supposedly hadn't kept up on the news and when asked did not get a proper neutral description of the events of what's been going on with Mignogna, as the hosts in this interview are stern "Vic Standers;" People who dismiss the various reports of misconduct against Mignogna by fans and industry professionals and believes him to be innocent and that victims are lying in a grand conspiracy to get Mignogna fired for... reasons?

However, regardless of this the thoughts and opinions Langdon shares about the situation are independent of the terrible description of the events given to him. Some of his opinions expressed in the interview are:

- The Me Too and Black Lives Matter movements "go too far" and are causing harm.
- While he acknowledges that women have had it bad for much of history and men are too powerful, he then says movements like this have given women too much power and are now causing the same damage men do, and that they need to bring it back and achieve a perfect balance.
- In regards to Mignogna; Acknowledges that Mignogna is quick to give physical contact but doesn't believe he's done anything wrong, and ultimately victim blames by saying that women just need to tell him "No."
- Going back to Me Too and Black Lives Matter, he thinks the solution is that people need to learn to "forgive."

I offer you the original video, which I uploaded on to another site so as not to give the problematic people responsible for it a view. A previous thread featuring the video was locked for this reason, and I confirmed with a mod that this was an acceptable solution. The discussion starts at 48:40 in the video.

You do not have to download it, it can be streamed straight on the site: https://mega.nz/#!xxIkXKRZ!gvMBai9HC8fZ2AtvakFEDDdvvPf7hGRCQ5hxD3HpO_Y

Beyond this, Langdon is also a firm believer of various conspiracy theories. One such conspiracy he believes is known as QAnon, which Wikipedia summarizes as:

QAnon is a far-right conspiracy theory detailing a supposed secret plot by an alleged "deep state" against U.S. President Donald Trump and his supporters. The theory began with an October 2017 post on the anonymous imageboard 4chan by someone using the tripcode Q, a presumably American individual that may have later grown to include multiple individuals, claiming to have access to classified information involving the Trump administration and its opponents in the United States. The user has falsely accused numerous liberal Hollywood actors, politicians, and high-ranking officials of engaging in an international child sex trafficking ring, and that Donald Trump feigned collusion with Russians to enlist Robert Mueller to join him in exposing the ring and preventing a coup d'état by Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and George Soros. "Q" is a reference to the top-secret Q clearance.

EDIT: Langdon's Twitter

Langdon has an active Twitter account. If you'd like to respectfully discuss these views with him in the hopes he comes to understand they're wrong and denounce them, please do so.

https://twitter.com/ReubenLangdon

UPDATE 1: Newsweek reporting on it.

https://www.newsweek.com/dmc-5-devil-cry-voice-actor-dante-morrisonreuben-langdon-joey-camen-blackface-1366791

UPDATE 2: Reuben Langdon responds.

Wow! I'm mentioned in Newsweek again! It was just over a year ago they were interviewing me for my ET Reseash work, and seemed to take it very seriously. So much so I was mentioned in their special Edition focusing on the idea of contact with extraterrestrials.

BTW: I was contacted yesterday (see email) I replied with a willing to talk about other stuff (anything but Vic) and that's what I meant. I am all for engaging in a dialogue and give a platform to discuss openly and without bias my opinion and where I Stand on certain issues. That is true journalism. As opposed to hand picking certain sentences from an interview that they didn't even perform! Then making up a narrative to serve your clear bias about the #qanon 8chan discussions. Why would Newsweek go out of there way to throw me under the bus for having an opinion about a fellow actor? #Questioneverything #WWG1WGA

BTW: I got some press when I was shot at in Guatemala a few weeks ago but not NEWSWEEK!!! In fact there was no mention of that in any of the mainstream media! But having an opinion about someone, especially if you don't agree with that opinion, watch out cuz thats big news!

Link to recent article:
https://www.newsweek.com/dmc-5-devi...QVk5GlgJv_GTkVbbnSHJB3VyuuaACfDIXe6_bsslLTtQk

UPDATE 3: Eurogamer article with Capcom's response

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-03-19-devil-may-cry-5-voice-actor-pulls-racist-and-transphobic-videos-from-his-own-youtube-channel

When contacted for comment yesterday, a Capcom spokesperson said the company was looking into the situation, but stressed the views expressed by both Camen and Langdon are not shared by Capcom whatsoever.

Last edited:

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
His QAnon stupidity was known well before DMC5 came out and very few people spoke up.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
These are also the exact stances I'd expect Dante himself to take on these issues, so at least he's true to character.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
What the hell is going on with the cast of this game?

It's not really a problem with this game specifically, as much as it's the fact that Reuben is iconic in his role now and any attempts to replace him would end up in shit storm. It's not like Morrison's case, where it's new blood. So a bit more complicated than fixing morisson would've been... Not tht they did that in the first place...

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His QAnon stupidity was known well before DMC5 came out and very few people spoke up.

Outrage is always easier with products the general public already loves to hate (see EA games). DMC5 (and the series in general) is widely appreciated by the gamer community, and thus the controversies resonate far less.

Gold!e

Jun 7, 2018
Britain
This is profoundly disappointing since DMC3 is one of my favourite games of all time.

Does he go into further detail about the "harm" BLM and #MeToo are causing beyond having white men actually be punished for their actions?

Mansally

Sep 26, 2018
"Achieve a perfect balance, but woah woah, that's just a little too much balance there for my tastes."

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol he's a Qanon guy too?

Jesus what the hell is up with this division at Capcom.

"- While he acknowledges that women have had it bad for much of history and men are too powerful, he then says movements like this have given women too much power and are now causing the same damage men do, and that they need to bring it back and achieve a perfect balance. "

ugh...so dumb...

Oct 27, 2017
This dude has been the VA for Dante going back to 4, including Marvel vs. Capcom since then. It's entirely possible nobody really has much of an idea about his personal beliefs - or didn't fully grasp them in context. The QAnon stuff is preettty recent and a Japanese dev team may not fully understand it's context. The MeToo and BLM stuff would be a similar case to me.

Ideally they recast him going forward.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
He's a Q Anon truther? Holy crap there's almost no saving such conspiracy nuts tbh

It's kinda interesting to me that QAnon, despite being fairly new, manages to be something so far down the crazy hole that it's basically the universal "Yeah this person is a lost cause" line. People will find ways to rationalize casual racism, misogyny, etc, but you admit to being a QAnon believer? Well you get other QAnon people supporting you but to eeeeeeveryone else you've gone to far.

As for Langdon, well fuck that guy.