• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Setting aside the QAnon stuff (which is a huge issue), listening to this interview, he comes off less malicious and more as a person clumsily drawing a host of either simplistic or wrong conclusions based on incomplete information (unbeknownst to him).

The whole deal with "masculine" and "feminine" energy reminds me a lot of Kanye. These are fantastical takes of deeply rooted real societal issues and reciprocal changes by someone who think they know what they are talking about despite being utterly disconnected.

Lastly, the whole "forgiveness" portion is perhaps one of the most problematic portions because it does not address the issue of "responsibility". There is a lot of, 'I understand but...' in there.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Setting aside the QAnon stuff (which is a huge issue), listening to this interview, he comes off less malicious and more as a person clumsily drawing a host of either simplistic or wrong conclusions based on incomplete information (unbeknownst to him).

The whole deal with "masculine" and "feminine" energy reminds me a lot of Kanye. These are fantastical takes of deeply rooted real societal issues and reciprocal changes by someone who think they know what they are talking about despite being utterly disconnected.

Lastly, the whole "forgiveness" portion is perhaps one of the most problematic portions because it does not address the issue of "responsibility". There is a lot of, 'I understand but...' in there.
I think he's an attractive man with a cool voice and a huge fanbase who's probably never faced any real problems in his life so he's completely disconnected from reality

but that doesn't excuse any of it

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
Stop trying to ruin the Game of the Year!
We waited so long for this!

Hahah fuck. But in a seriousness yea this sucks. Game has so much baggage attached to it, this is just another one to add

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
Between this and Morrison's VA, I am seriously reconsidering buying this game. It's dope, but I'm fine with my Redbox playthrough being my only one if these are the type of people associated with this game.

RadiantDan

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan
Langdon is crazy, and not in the "This party is gettin' crazy!" kind. It's been known for a long time. I had to unfollow him on Twitter years ago because it was like 90% "aliens are real" and other conspiracy shit.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
How reliant is Capcom with Langdon's company?
They use him a lot. He voices ken n Dante, and does the Mocap for them and Chris redfield. I remember him on a resi5 episode of the bonus round.

I'd say Capcom has a long standing business relationship there at this point. Not so much "reliant", more like this has worked well for a decade, let's keep working together type deal.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
The character is bigger than the VA, even Snake could have survived without the awesome David, Dante can get over this pos.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
Between this and Morrison's VA, I am seriously reconsidering buying this game. It's dope, but I'm fine with my Redbox playthrough being my only one if these are the type of people associated with this game.

I don't think either get royalties & the rest of the devs like Itsuno etc would in essence be punished, even if they'd probably not see a dime from a single purchase. Depends on if they learn with future titles

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Dante is an amazing character and Rebun is a large part of why, but I hope they consider recasting him for future games. I'm sure they could get someone without shitty conspiracy views to play a version of Dante that still feels similar to how he's been since DMC3.

Regardless of what happens, Capcom's gotta at least acknowledge this somehow.

Oct 31, 2017
I always knew Donte was the best Dante !

But seriously, fuck that guy.

I'm trying to sneak around Red Grave city but I'm Dummy Thicc and the clap from my ass cheeks against my devil arms is alerting the demons

47062.jpg

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
What does it matter what some random voice actor thinks? Surely there are a lot of voice actors that hold similar shitty beliefs.

Dante_727

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
That would be punishing all the other devs working on the title who are decent human beings and worked fucking hard to get this game made.

Its better to just make capcom realize what kind of a douchebag VA they have and they should seriously reconsider to change them in future

Oct 29, 2017
That would be punishing all the other devs working on the title who are decent human beings and worked fucking hard to get this game made.

Its better to just make capcom realize what kind of a douchebag VA they have and they should seriously reconsider to change them in future

Yup. 2 voice actors vs hundreds and hundreds of developers.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
What does it matter what some random voice actor thinks? Surely there are a lot of voice actors that hold similar shitty beliefs.
People in general being allowed to think things without being challenged on it is what perpetuates the very status quo that #metoo and black lives matter fight against. Bigotry like this only survives because we either don't address it or ignore it all together just because it comes out of the mouth of someone we peg as inconsequential. Sure he's just one person but people add up.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
He isn't a rando, he has voiced and mocap a very famous character, and also another big character with ken. Letting anyone, but especially a major VA like himsay dangerous things go out like that is a big problem.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

This game is not owed anyone's money. If someone decides for themselves that they are uncomfortable playing through this game knowing the shitpiece one of the central protagonists is, they have the right to make the choice for themselves if they want that reminder the entire time that person is on-screen.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
People in general being allowed to think things without being challenged on it is what perpetuates the very status quo that #metoo and black lives matter fight against. Bigotry like this only survives because we either don't address it or ignore it all together just because it comes out of the mouth of someone inconsequential. Sure he's just one person but people add up.
He isn't a rando, he has voiced and mocap a very famous character, and also another big character with ken. Letting anyone, but especially a major VA like himsay dangerous things go out like that is a big problem.
That's exactly my point. ~40% of US population share his shitty beliefs. (Using this number because of Trump approvals). It's impossible to avoid people with shitty beliefs. If you rail up against him, it will only reinforce beliefs of the ~40%. It's loose/loose game. We should be fighting for the issues at hand (sexual abuse, police abuse, etc) not against some random voice actors.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Yup. I ain't supporting this hot pile of trash. Japanese, English....in any form or shape.

Retro!

Oct 25, 2017

Again he is not some random voice actor. He IS Dante among the fanbase and his popularity for the role among fans is a lot of the reason he's so frequently used by Capcom in other stuff

So him being like this is significant to the game and the franchise

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly my point. ~40% of US population share his shitty beliefs. (Using this number because of Trump approvals). It's impossible to avoid people with shitty beliefs. If you rail up against him, it will only reinforce beliefs of the ~40%. It's loose/loose game. We should be fighting for the issues at hand (sexual abuse, police abuse, etc) not against some random voice actors.

Ah yes, the "deplatforming bigots only strengthens them" argument, you really cracked the code here

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Reuben has been Dante since 3, right? The main version of Dante everyone likes. So yea, pretty huge.

Nov 4, 2018
Dante is an amazing character and Rebun is a large part of why, but I hope they consider recasting him for future games. I'm sure they could get someone without shitty conspiracy views to play a version of Dante that still feels similar to how he's been since DMC3.

Regardless of what happens, Capcom's gotta at least acknowledge this somehow.
Unless he commits a literal crime Capcom ain't gonna do shit.

Oct 29, 2017
This is making me really sad. New Reuben was a bit of a nut considering all the conspiracy theory bullshit but man...Dante's been my favorite character for a very long time :(

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
Well this went from a buy eventually to never touching. Just a big yikes from Capcom.
You should still buy it. As someone pointed out, they don't get royalties and you're just hurting the devs. It is a fantastic game that needs support so they can continue being good capcom. Because they really tried to do everything right this time around, tried their best to correct mistakes - succeeded in a few cases - and made a very quality game that I think a lot of users on this board appreciate.

What also sucks is that DMC5 Dante is the best Dante's ever been. Damn you, Langdon

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
We can do both. If you want to talk about how just addressing what he says might lead to reinforcement then how much worse would just letting him remain unchallenged be. People will only learn if they're told what's right and what's wrong. People need to hear the arguments and the risk of someone doubling down is just as likely as them actually doing some self-reflection too. And this isn't just about him. People are always around watching and listening. In an environment where there's always an audience, it's even more important to make sure that the right side is being put forth as well.