• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, this is news to me. Ninja Theory and homophobia?

They're probably referring to the DmC presentation where they tried to show that old Dante was lame by transposing him into Brokeback Mountain.

They also compared him to a campy movie and fashion, and then praised a character from Fight Club who is literally meant to represent toxic masculinity and a closeted homosexual presenting hypermasculinity. It's pretty terrible all around.

Athena

Dec 10, 2018
As an enormous fan of DMC, this really sucks.

I fear Reuben is way too ingrained with Capcom - not just for his portrayal as Dante, but his sheer amount of mocap work - for anything to be done, but I really hope that someone else ends up being cast for Dante. (Unfortunately, he's also involved with many other projects than most people know, even outside of Capcom. Last of Us, God of War (2018) .. eurgh.)

Dante deserves better than this.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shoulda made DmC 2 instead. I hope you haters are happy
That's hilarious since Ninja Theory basically went full homophobe and thinks classic Dante looks gay.

OPGYEdn.jpg

Athena

Dec 10, 2018
Thanks. I have yet to play the game and so I was not in the know.

I feel the Ninja Theory of today is a whole lot better than six years ago (as evidenced by the existence of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice), but DmC still exists as a testament to a lot of ... wrong creative direction (among other things) that the studio took back then.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm dying for Drew Coombs to come back or for Matt Mercer to have a shot.

Also love the takeaway some have that DmC was a good idea in hindsight, one of the most misogynistic games ever made backed by toxic as hell development and PR.

OP
OP
Kyle Cross

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm being PMed regularly by a user who thinks my OP is too biased and needs to feature more context of Langdon's character, namely how progressive he is in his other viewpoints. I personally don't see how that provides further context or even matters to the horrible views Langdon shared in this video, but the individual says my OP comes across as a hit piece and character assassination. I really don't think it does, it's me calling out these problematic views. The best outcome for situations like this is the person (Langdon) who has these views gets confronted by them, re-evaluates and decides to denounce them and focus on becoming a better person. To that end he wants me to add Langdon's Twitter to the OP so that people can read it to get a full picture of Langdon while also opening him up for conversation in regards to this thread.

I'm going to contact a mod about that last bit, as I don't want it to come across as a "Here's his twitter, go harass him!"

EDIT: Got approval from a mod about Twitter, will add it to the OP.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I feel the Ninja Theory of today is a whole lot better than six years ago (as evidenced by the existence of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice), but DmC still exists as a testament to a lot of ... wrong creative direction (among other things) that the studio took back then.

It is interesting when one considers that prior to DmC they made Heavenly Sword and Enslaved. And as such, framing Dante's reimagining within the context of homophobia was really foot in the mouth fuck up for them.

Oct 25, 2017
That's hilarious since Ninja Theory basically went full homophobe and thinks classic Dante looks gay.

OPGYEdn.jpg

I'll take DMC6 with the exact same team with have right now before fucking Ninja Theory and their homophobia + disrespect of fans. Few things makes me happier than knowing that they got bought out by MS and we don't have to deal with their shit at all.

I hope Rueben makes a damn statement and revalues his views, hearing that he believes conspiracy theories is awful because that's a slippery slope to believing some awful stuff. I don't know enough about him and honestly I know I'm biased as I love his voice as Dante since 3, so I hope this ends up having a good ending.

Also they better cast a black person for black characters, it's not rocket science and that's the biggest problem I have with all of this.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm being PMed regularly by a user who thinks my OP is too biased and needs to feature more context of Langdon's character, namely how progressive he is in his other viewpoints. I personally don't see how that provides further context or even matters to the horrible views Langdon shared in this video, but the individual says my OP comes across as a hit piece and character assassination. I really don't think it does, it's me calling out these problematic views. The best outcome for situations like this is the person (Langdon) who has these views gets confronted by them, re-evaluates and decides to denounce them and focus on becoming a better person. To that end he wants me to add Langdon's Twitter to the OP so that people can read it to get a full picture of Langdon while also opening him up for conversation in regards to this thread.

I'm going to contact a mod about that last bit, as I don't want it to come across as a "Here's his twitter, go harass him!"

damn what a fucker lol

Athena

Dec 10, 2018
Also they better cast a black person for black characters, it's not rocket science and that's the biggest problem I have with all of this.

This is the most baffling piece of it all.

Prior to this podcast, even if Langdon RT'd stuff from QAnon he always gave off an extremely positive energy and generally redirected his conspiracy cases towards a positive cause. A loon, very obviously so, but very little about him gave off the idea of a bad person.

The mess with Subhuman should've been caught before the song debuted, but Capcom was swift in handling it when the issue was brought to their attention; completely severing ties with the previous offending vocalist and recording new ones.

As for Morrison, it's just ... incomprehensible? Capcom's choice in VA is genuinely baffling, and I can't imagine a background check for this guy would be particularly hard to do.

Stay on Topic

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Official Staff Communication
This thread is about Reuben Langdon's comments and not about DMC vs DmC for the millionth time. There are numerous other threads to discuss that. Please get back on topic or you will be actioned for thread derailment

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Lol the thread somehow devolved into DmC vs DMC. I don't even see why this is a DMC specific issue. Isn't he a really big name VA in Gaming and Anime ? Or Am i confusing him with Nero's VA ?

The Morrison and Subhuman thing seem way worse.

Athena

Dec 10, 2018
Lol the thread somehow devolved into DmC vs DMC. I don't even see why this is a DMC specific issue. Isn't he a really big name VA in Gaming and Anime ? Or Am i confusing him with Nero's VA ?

The Morrison and Subhuman thing seem way worse.

Big name mocap actor, not so much VA. In terms of voicework, I believe he only voices Dante and Ken (Street Fighter).

Subhuman was negligence that quickly got resolved in a few days time, but Morrison's VA ... that one is a really big case of 'what the hell were they thinking?'.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

The op is fine, I hate the need some people have to couch criticism in a compliment sandwich. It feels like letting them off the hook somewhat

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Big name mocap actor, not so much VA. In terms of voicework, I believe he only voices Dante and Ken (Street Fighter).

Subhuman was negligence that quickly got resolved in a few days time, but Morrison's VA ... that one is a really big case of 'what the hell were they thinking?'.

Langdon has been involved in a lot of things. He's just not Dante.

The Last of Us
Resident Evil
Street Fighter
Monster Hunter
Wolfienstein
Doom

and tons of others. He works with a lot of mocap actors back and forth from LA to Japan, with a production studio his friend owns. Just Cause Production. So he's in a ton of stuff.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The op is fine, I hate the need some people have to couch criticism in a compliment sandwich. It feels like letting them off the hook somewhat

I feel like there's no reason for it other than to let them off the hook. If the news reports a politician's statement, they might include earlier statements that may be relevant to the subject, but they're not going to include every single thing the person has said. It's just common sense that a person has said other things over the course of their lives.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017

As long as the actor isn't basing their voice off of a racial stereotype ( Hank Azaria doing Apu vs Carl) I never really had a problem with different races voicing each other. My main problem is how it seems like Capcom did no due diligence when casting Morrison.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
That would be punishing all the other devs working on the title who are decent human beings and worked fucking hard to get this game made.

Its better to just make capcom realize what kind of a douchebag VA they have and they should seriously reconsider to change them in future

Side note: I've never understood this mentality regarding the idea that people who choose to boycott a game are "punishing the team who worked on it". It only ever seems to come up when we're talking about boycotting a game or company for bigoted nonsense within their ranks. No one purchases literally every game. No game is entitled to our money. This board is full of gamers who have and will continue to choose not to support games based on loot boxes, gatcha elements & other such extortion like tactics, graphics and framerate, review scores, game genre or simple lack of interest. Yet we don't have people invalidating purchasing decisions made on those merits because the "devs will be punished". There are people who work hard on even shitty games but consumers work hard for their money. If someone decides they want to spend their money elsewhere based on the denying support to companies that employ bigots, that's each gamers' prerogative and shouldn't be pegged as some slight against developers and other employees.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia

'These really bad things he said isn't that bad because he said some good things that other time' is some weird ass defense, and really struck me as things that peeps PMing you simply because they don't want their precious Dante to be tainted.

Adlai

Oct 25, 2017
I had the opportunity to attend his panels at an anime convention quite a few years back.

As an actor talking about his roles, Dante, work history, etc. he's very enjoyable to listen to and watch.

But then I attended another panel where he got to talk about environmental issues and, uh, certain government conspiracies. It was awkward as heck. There were about a dozen or less attendees in the room...

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
This makes not getting DMCV significantly easier as someone who was admittedly just mildly curious. As stated elsewhere, though, this isn't good in & of itself. Before it was just the Vic Mignogna stuff which was enough of a reason to bail on its own.

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
Well that's unfortunate but thankfully I'm able to still love the shit out of Dante and the series. I knew he was into his aliens and stuff but the Qanon stuff seems a bit... yeesh.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's unfortunate but thankfully I'm able to still love the shit out of Dante and the series. I knew he was into his aliens and stuff but the Qanon stuff seems a bit... yeesh.
I don't know what other conspiracy theories he's followed, but aliens are one of those ones that are often secretly racist. Like, "obviously black people and native americans couldn't built these things but there were no white people around, so who did?"

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
This whole situation is so, so demoralizing 😭😭😭 whats happening at capcom dante and morrison are such cool characters 🤧

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
So Devil May Cry will be a full Nero game then like 4. Maybe a Nero and Vergil game.

Nero is better than Dante anyway.

If we get Dante back in 6 then recast Reuben with the original Dante, Drew Coombs.

Wow, this basically killed Dante's character, at least in English. I can't imagine playing the game with English VA again after all these things came to surface.

He's not Dante's VA in 1 and 2 so you're good to play those still.

Spooksy

Oct 28, 2017
Watching the interview and it really seems like he is a good guy with good intentions. I want to believe he is just misinformed and that this backlash will help him realize he is wrong. However, I can also acknowledge that my love of Devil May Cry is making me biased. I just want to be optimistic :(

What really concerns me is the qanon stuff. I know he's a conspiracy nut but does he seriously believe this trash? Can someone link to where he talks about it?

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a possibility. There aren't enough electrons in existence to make it possible. The Matrix is just a cool idea, not a valid theory of reality. Granted, it's one of the less overtly crazy and/or offensive things Langdon promotes regularly. But it is not a thing that is taken seriously by physicists.
Electrons are irrelevant. If we're in a simulation, all the physics we observe are simulated. We wouldn't know anything about the nature of the greater universe our own universe is simulated in, as it would be impossible to observe.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Kind of hope the dlc turns out well with the female characters. Think it's time for them hopefully to use the template for new stories/characters.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
If we get Dante back in 6 then recast Reuben with the original Dante, Drew Coombs.
No.

If they are recasting for the next game then they should go for someone new (for DMC series) that can portray Dante's post DMC3 character better than the og DMC1 VA. I'd say Nolan North would be a much better choice since Nathan Drake is already a more grounded version of Dante.

Or they could have Dan Southworth do both Dante and Vergil, since they already auditioned him for Dante for DMC4 and almost gave him the role back then.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As an enormous fan of DMC, this really sucks.

I fear Reuben is way too ingrained with Capcom - not just for his portrayal as Dante, but his sheer amount of mocap work - for anything to be done, but I really hope that someone else ends up being cast for Dante. (Unfortunately, he's also involved with many other projects than most people know, even outside of Capcom. Last of Us, God of War (2018) .. eurgh.)

Dante deserves better than this.
This is something plenty here don't seem to get. The Last of Us Part 2 is the most anticipated game here and there is a good chance Just Cause is working on it. Langdon is a stunt performer, first and foremost, so just because you're not hearing his voice doesn't mean he isn't working on or getting a cut out of a non-Capcom title. Unless he leaves or is kicked out of Just Cause, he's technically going to stain any future video games from here on out.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
No.

If they are recasting for the next game then they should go for someone new (for DMC series) that can portray Dante's post DMC3 character better than the og DMC1 VA. I'd say Nolan North would be a much better choice since Nathan Drake is already a more grounded version of Dante.

Or they could have Dan Southworth do both Dante and Vergil, since they already auditioned him for Dante for DMC4 and almost gave him the role back then.
I don't think capcom can afford Nolan nowadays