• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Guild Wars 2 like one of the biggest MMO in the planet? Don't really think DMC out of all franchises can get that type of money.

It's big but it's far from one of the biggest money makers. Tons of f2p that make much more. Still. I feel like with how good Capcom has been as of late that they really shouldn't be cheating out.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
All these DMC5 controversies are a real bummer as a longtime fan of the series.

I hope they don't recast him, because he's done such an amazing job as dante since dmc3.

Can't really do much to stop people having stupid nonsensical opinions... but i hope capcom has a word with him about it.
and I can't blame people for avoiding the game due to him either.

Last edited:

bugulu

Oct 25, 2017
It can certainly go too far, as with every movement out there. Just take a look at the whole debacle with Amber Heard and Johnny Depp. She accused him of being an abuser with no evidence whatsoever and everyone just swallowed her tale, despite people vouching for Depp that he would never hurt a fly. Vanessa Paradis who was with Depp for 14 years confirmed that he was never violent with her, but suddenly he's violent with Heard who is a notorious liar. His career was somewhat on the downfall before this scandal, but it sure plummeted after it.

Now it seems like Heard was the abuser, who physically hurt Depp, and has been sued by Depp.

So can #metoo go too far? If you believe that a victim should be believed all the time, then you are certainly threading on deep water. Not all victims are victims, and there have been plenty of cases where women have been lying about being abused. This is why you should always be careful judging people just because of what the media writes about them. In Depp's case, he was the victim.

Now with his other drivel about women being more powerful now and that we need a shift. I think it's a good thing that women nowadays are in more power than previously and we do need more equality, especially in the higher-up's position.

Last edited:

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
All these DMC5 controversies are a real bummer as a longtime fan of the series.

I hope they don't recast him, because he's done such an amazing job as dante since dmc3.

Can't really do much to stop people having stupid nonsensical opinions...
but can't blame people for avoiding the game due to him either.
Just because he did a great job as Dante doesn't mean someone else can't do the same. Unfortunately I doubt Capcom will care what Langdon says here and fire him as Dante going forward.

Deleted member 51266

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Wouldn't matter. Reuben Landgon did the mo cap for Dante unless you just don't want to hear him.
As he did in hundreds of games people boycotting DMC5 have played/will play. Like The Last of Us 2 (Probably this forum's most anticipated game), or any game with Just Cause's studio involved in general. You'd have to retire from AAA gaming if you don't want to support Reuben's motion capture.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Wow, I'd never seen this before. They actually used that in a presentation? That's simultaneously despicable, lazy, and confusing.
0CMlpI9.jpg

They also used this slide to prove their Dante is superior.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Who is the one on the right? just some random young guy hanging out at the dumpster?

It's the villain from Chronicle.

Anti-social loner gains powers, accidentally kills his friend and then starts having delusions of grandeur and decides that as the apex predator, he shouldn't feel guilty about killing people. Basically a school shooter with powers

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the villain from Chronicle.

Anti-social loner gains powers, accidentally kills his friend and then starts having delusions of grandeur and decides that as the apex predator, he shouldn't feel guilty about killing people. Basically a school shooter with powers
Wikipedia said:

MAX LANDIS
tenor.gif

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
As he did in hundreds of games people boycotting DMC5 have played/will play. Like The Last of Us 2 (Probably this forum's most anticipated game), or any game with Just Cause's studio involved in general. You'd have to retire from AAA gaming if you don't want to support Reuben's motion capture.
Wow. I had no idea. The last of us 2?!?!!?!

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fair warning. You'll have to boycott The Last of Us, Resident Evil 5 & Resident Evil 2, Super Smash Brothers Ultimate and some of the Street Fighters games. And that's just Reuben Langdon's work.
The self righteousness here where you're trying to have a gotcha moment is lame. His opinions are shit, and people can opt to boycott the visible aspects of his work (voice, likeness if used) if they like. Gotcha commentary for the sake of it is kinda sad. Just let people be and enjoy what you enjoy.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just because he did a great job as Dante doesn't mean someone else can't do the same. Unfortunately I doubt Capcom will care what Langdon says here and fire him as Dante going forward.
I'm not a fan of recasting long-established voice actors. His voice is just as iconic (to me) as nathan drake, or solid snake.
It's not just dante. he works on tons of games, is he gonna need to be blacklisted from the entire industry?

shitty situation all round. with no solution that will satisfy everyone :(

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The self righteousness here where you're trying to have a gotcha moment is lame. His opinions are shit, and people can opt to boycott the visible aspects of his work (voice, likeness if used) if they like. Gotcha commentary for the sake of it is kinda sad. Just let people be and enjoy what you enjoy.

It doesn't do anything. Go do something effective instead of just patting yourself on the back because you've decided to not play this one game because you think you're not supporting him that way when you're playing all these other games that do support him.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fair warning. You'll have to boycott The Last of Us, Resident Evil 5 & Resident Evil 2, Super Smash Brothers Ultimate and some of the Street Fighters games. And that's just Reuben Langdon's work.

Last of Us and RE5 came out long before these revelations. Didn't pay for RE2, dont play Street Fighter or Smash. Try again. Making decisions after stuff like this comes to light is pretty common. I was psyched for Kingdom Come when it was first announced years ago, then I saw that Vavras was spouting all kinds of alt-right, white natty bullshit. SPOILER ALERT: Didn't buy it and never will.

The only reason you would come in here playing that 'HAHA BUT YOU STILL TAKE PART IN SOCIETY' defense force nonsense is if you yourself are trying to defend the argument to begin with. And QANON, anti-blm and anti-metoo are odd ODD things to come and make your piece concerning.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Last of Us and RE5 came out long before these revelations. Didn't pay for RE2, dont play Street Fighter or Smash. Try again. Making decisions after stuff like this comes to light is pretty common. I was psyched for Kingdom Come when it was first announced years ago, then I saw that Vavras was spouting all kinds of alt-right, white natty bullshit. SPOILER ALERT: Didn't buy it and never will.

The only reason you would come in here playing that 'HAHA BUT YOU STILL TAKE PART IN SOCIETY' defense force nonsense is if you yourself are trying to defend the argument to begin with. And QANON, anti-blm and anti-metoo are odd ODD things to come and make your piece concerning.
That is an absurd leap in logic, and you should feel silly for saying someone is defending anti-blm, anti-metoo, and qanon shit because someone presented you a list of games you will also have to boycott.

That's a real conversation you people need to have, there are a lot of shitty people working on some exceptional ass games. And the people that most get effected by the boycott in this situation (vs say kingdom come), are folks who have nothing to do with a voice actors/mocap studio leads world view.

It's not some gacha shit, it's not some "disguised defense of alt right shit". Worst case scenario it's a defense force for the game itself, because yeah people are invested in niche franchises to continue.

Believe it or not you can be pro blm, pro me too, and anti qanon, and still want the game and other games that are going to use langdons mocap studio supported.

It's not a one or the other scenario.

Last edited:

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So now he's straight up defending Q and 8chan. Less than a week after the NZ mosque shooting.

But sure, it's an overreaction to say there's any connection between the two.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Later in the interview, Langdon would pivot to the Trump administration and it's potential relationship with the Russian government. "The whole Russian collusion thing, how many years have we been going on with this and there's still no evidence?" Langdon said. "We are in this era of lets' just make up a bunch of stuff and if we get it out there in the media and enough people believe it, that's all we need... I'm not a Trump supporter or hater, I look at the evidence."

He's actually pretty liberal guys, he posts anti-Trump stuff all the time when he isn't promoting hate speech

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't do anything. Go do something effective instead of just patting yourself on the back because you've decided to not play this one game because you think you're not supporting him that way when you're playing all these other games that do support him.

The constant refrain of comments similar to this is really quite startling. Take your defeatist bullshit and go somewhere else. I'm sick of reading fallacious nonsense like "if you can't do everything you can't do anything." Kindly piss off with this logic. It's harmful, cynical and frankly just plain shit. People can choose for themselves what they want to do and how they want to support or pull support from various titles. They don't need to adhere to your particular stringent requirements in order to be recognized as being woke or something. Goddamn this shit is fucking infuriating.

He's actually pretty liberal guys, he posts anti-Trump stuff all the time when he isn't promoting hate speech

Yeah he's classically liberal like Dave "Koch Bros." Rubin.

Eurogamer is also bringing this up: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ansphobic-videos-from-his-own-youtube-channel

And also, the comments are unanimously disappointing (the usual "Well, he is not wrong" shit)

I'm never surprised at any comments by hardcore gamers. They are some of the most indifferent, most entitled shitheels on the planet.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
whenever I read comments like this, I kind of assume that the person saying them is a sociopath that thinks people only do good things performatively instead of because they think it's the right thing to do.

Capcom's response to Eurogamer
OP
OP
Kyle Cross

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Eurogamer is also bringing this up: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ansphobic-videos-from-his-own-youtube-channel

And also, the comments are unanimously disappointing (the usual "Well, he is not wrong" shit)
Really important bit towards the end of this article:

When contacted for comment yesterday, a Capcom spokesperson said the company was looking into the situation, but stressed the views expressed by both Camen and Langdon are not shared by Capcom whatsoever.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
That's a very disappointing follow-up from him, and very damning to defend QAnon and 8chan, especially in the wake of what's happened recently. What an idiot.

OP
OP
Kyle Cross

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I am so incredibly disappointed that Langdon doubled down on this. I know it was a long shot, but I truly hoped he'd acknowledge his problematic views and decide to change.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
whenever I read comments like this, I kind of assume that the person saying them is a sociopath that thinks people only do good things performatively instead of because they think it's the right thing to do.

I assume they found the wrong forum, because they would probably fit right at home on /v/ or kotakuinaction.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
OK. This is going to sound like whataboutism. And I swear it's not intentional. I've just been trying to understand what the goal here. Specifically regarding Reuben's shitty opinions. Are people who have shitty opinions not allowed to have jobs? I mean we literally have a thread on the same page where an actor committed a crime and the comments are exact opposite. People are mad at Sega for dropping an actor...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/up...-team-in-the-west.106221/page-2#post-18993871

EDIT: As a disclaimer because I know I will be accused of something. I don't like DMC, I didin't know who this guy was until yesterday, I strongly disagree with pretty much every opinion he has.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Lol what a prick, gets given the chance to defend himself and just doubles down on his bullshit views.

Hope Capcom ditches him