• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Eeeeeyup. Check out how Langdon and his defenders are resorting to the "it's just an opinion guuuuuys!" shtick -- perpetuating racist/sexist rhetoric contributing to a pervasive status quo is apparently the same as, uh, not enjoying chocolate ice cream or Nintendo products or w/e.

Funny you bring up mob mentality too considering they're all too happy to participate in rape culture and whatnot. (The Vic Mignogna situation being particularly emblematic of that phenomenon. )

I'd legitimately wager (if I actually had money lmao) that most of the StandWithVic people aren't even actually fans of his work; it wouldn't surprise me at all if they're just alt-right people stoking fires, trolls, or bots. iirc we saw that a lot in other things that popped up (The Last Jedi's backlash, GamerGate, etc.). You can't even mention "stories about this have been around for over a decade" without those five of those people popping up and insisting that a discussion of him is harassment (while ignoring that what they're doing is harassment).

In general, this is far from the worst thing we've seen someone in gaming culture do, and it can be hard to do boycotts in general, but this is super disappointing at the very least. You'd think any discussion of this, though, is tantamount to trying to swat the guy, from the way people are reacting.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Lmaoooo. When asked to clarify his statements he's like "nah, i'm too ignorant". Also, this statement is quite telling "Then making up a narrative to serve your clear bias about the #qanon 8chan discussions. "

How the fuck is it acceptable for any human being to be on 8chan after the Christchurch shooting?

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Remember when I said original vocalist? That's the implied swapped out part.
Michael Jackson's kiddy shenanigans has been a thing for quite sometime, back with the Living With Michael Jackson interview with Martin Bashir.

I don't accept this coincidence.

While this is true, the world didn't stop idolizing and referencing MJ back then. It's only now with the Leaving Neverland doc that the tide is turning against MJ for the general public. The Simpsons episode for example was only pulled now from broadcasting after 29 years.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like my response to these kind of events at this point is becoming an exasperated sigh. It feels like it happens way too often.

Last edited:

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
While this is true, the world didn't stop idolizing and referencing MJ back then. It's only now with the Leaving Neverland doc that the tide is turning against MJ for the general public. The Simpsons episode for example was only pulled now from broadcasting after 29 years.

Yeah that's what's weird like the Neverlands one was the media opening their eyes. I'll have to find the time to watch that one.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
God damn if Dante gets into Smash, we'll be 3:4 on DLC characters attached to shitty people.

Last edited:

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This fucking sucks and I am so disappointed in Langdon.

Huge fan of DMC since the first one and at this point I just hope whoever replaces Langdon does a good job. Don't want them to axe the character because his VA is a shitheel.

Deleted member 51266

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Why can't people here comprehend that a character!= the voice actor?

They can absolutely get Dante in Smash, MvC4, DMC6, whatever else game and have him voiced by someone else. Reuben Langdon does not own the character and it's very unlikely Capcom will reprise him after their comments in regards to his beliefs. His career is done for as Dante.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
This fucking sucks and I am so disappointed in Langdon.

Huge fan of DMC since the first one and at this point I just hope whoever replaces Langdon does a good job. Don't want them to axe the character because his VA is a shitheel.
Yah pretty disappointing, always knew he was kind of loopy and into conspiracy theory shit, but these recent statements are terrible...

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't people here comprehend that a character!= the voice actor?

They can absolutely get Dante in Smash, MvC4, DMC6, whatever else game and have him voiced by someone else. Reuben Langdon does not own the character and it's very unlikely Capcom will reprise him after their comments in regards to his beliefs. His career is done for as Dante.

It's pretty much over. I'm not sure how he can come back from this considering how defiant he sounds with his views.

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
It's a good thing I give two shits about the DMC franchise, meanwhile I'm still waiting for Bayonetta 3 news

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
This is exactly why the THQ debacle mattered. They pushed 8chan's awareness to the mainstream despite them existing in the gutters for so long.

Now we got a massacre linked and another shitheel that's setrepping for the god awful community there.

This wont end, every dirtbag is going to keep repping them as its a badge of pride now.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Just another lesson to not make heroes out of actors and actresses. You don't know them. Many of them are bound to have shitty views that you don't even know about or keep hidden. Most of them do.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This wont end, every dirtbag is going to keep repping them as its a badge of pride now.
Even if stops he voice acting, he still co-owns a business that the gaming industry still uses a lot. So long he isn't just some cog, he can still get on some kind of spotlight and make mentions of 8chan, QAnon, and what not. We may as well have to accept that we can't just keep protesting against what's at the surface (people being infront of a microphone and/or camera or being in a leadership role) and then call it a day when they bury and hide themselves. They have to be rooted out or forced to retreat by a great distance.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Yyyyyyup, there it is, the burying of the head in sand. Was hoping he would not go in that direction, but alas it's rare someone doesn't dig in and tries to understand why what they said and promoted on public platforms is hurtful.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
You should see the reddit thread about us

Apparently we're the baddies
Original NeoGAF and now ResetEra will always be hated by groups of people. And will always take the blame for another person's terrible thoughts and opinions coming to light.

Cause you know, we're apparently masterminds in a huge conspiracy lol

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand how the people who are in such a privileged position -- most would forgive them instantly if they simply admitted wrong-doing -- double down on this shit. It is so easy to admit to and walk back when you have so many fans dying for you to do just that.

Welp, hopefully Capcom does the right thing moving forward.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If he's actually aware of the problem, it's about time he addressed it in an adult and dignified matter. But to be honest his social media output seems pretty much just outright poppycock.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
This is a pretty shitty situation to be in.

Capcom not replacing Langdon will undoubtedly piss off tons of people. Capcom replacing Langdon will undoubtedly piss off tons of people. I don't even think an apology would do much for people at this point.

Lyon N. Laap

Oct 27, 2017
Original NeoGAF and now ResetEra will always be hated by groups of people. And will always take the blame for another person's terrible thoughts and opinions coming to light.

It's interesting to note that the lead poster in that thread believes ERA is singlehandedly powerful enough to remove industry figures from their positions with the power of faux outrage.

Maybe, just maybe, brands understand how damaging (and hopefully how morally reprehensible) it actually is to be associated with people who can't help but profess their bigotry loudly to the rafters. If ERA is leading the charge in bringing things to light, then hey more power to the forum, but in most cases it's just a part of a broader pushback.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018

That reminds me comrade, this month I did not get the check about helping the communist agenda by Soros. We might be masterminds but our accounting staff sucks

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
What were the other two attached to shitty people? Joker is that atlus guy, but did he have a role on persona?

And pirhana plant?

Oh fuck what is going on with Persona now? What did Joker's VA do?

Fuck it, ignorance is bliss.

BTW to answer your question - Ken from Street Fighter is also voiced by Langdon. And he's in Smash as well.

EDIT: Oh, are you referring to Atlus' transphobic and homophobic messaging in their games? (Persona 5, Catherine PS4 edition?)

No Idea

Mar 18, 2019
Narrative? Wasn't he expressing his views publicly?

And I don't know if this is off-topic but I haven't been a fan of his voice acting since 3. He always sounds like he's mid-stretch or out of breath.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Oh fuck what is going on with Persona now? What did Joker's VA do?

Fuck it, ignorance is bliss.

BTW to answer your question - Ken from Street Fighter is also voiced by Langdon. And he's in Smash as well.
Right but ken isn't dlc, he already in the game.

I assumed it's not exclusively voice acting, because persona I'm sure it's about the Catherine thing.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
It's interesting to note that the lead poster in that thread believes ERA is singlehandedly powerful enough to remove industry figures from their positions with the power of faux outrage.

Maybe, just maybe, brands understand how damaging (and hopefully how morally reprehensible) it actually is to be associated with people who can't help but profess their bigotry loudly to the rafters. If ERA is leading the charge in bringing things to light, then hey more power to the forum, but in most cases it's just a part of a broader pushback.
Yeah the only reason we get called out is because many of us actually know how to group up and do stuff. Granted we're not perfect but we at least know how to do the bare minimum. Other groups start picking up afterwards but we still get the blame in the end lol.

Reminds me of that one time that some guy on 4chan began calling me a cuck on that site (he actually said something like "AlexFlame116 is a mother-" just cause I called them out lmao.
That reminds me comrade, this month I did not get the check about helping the communist agenda by Soros. We might be masterminds but our accounting staff sucks
Yeah comrade where is my money?! I should have gotten it weeks ago from our high tech evil bank of all things evil. Soros I have done all I could! Where is my money?!

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
You should see the reddit thread about us

Apparently we're the baddies

Redditors are the true heroe-

D0Xxf4RXgAA884b.png

Oh...