• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Moderate relative to Bernie and Biden

Ain't nothing wrong with that, it's an understandable position to take given her position in the polls

considering how scorched the Clinton campaign leaves every race it touches with the word "unity," I don't think you need to be on the defensive about this

Warren's campaign took a turn toward shittown well before this embarrassing debacle

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Recognizing that our culture is still very much broken and misogynistic among the general voting population does not make Bernie himself a misogynist

Jesus fucking christ we are fucked for 2020

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen plenty of people here, especially Hillary supporters from 2016, say the same exact thing. Go back and look at threads and you will repeatedly see people saying, "America is too sexist to elect a woman president", which makes this whole thing bullshit.

Hillary is straight up Proof

Not to mention everything thrown at her has been proven a lie after the fact

This is what women have to deal with on top of all the other bullshit that gets thrown at them

Bless the strength of any woman in politics. I can only imagine what it takes

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
The WaPo account feels infinitely more plausible to me, knowing Sanders and Warren's relationship. This is looking like a bad attempt at a hit job by Warren staffers, and I'm troubled not as much by the fact that they attempted it as how poorly it has been executed.

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
It's not a claim, it's a mantra. Everything good is by the auspices of His Most Holy Peepaw-ness and everything bad is the sinister machinations of Corporate Dems.
Yeah, I've been noticing a scary amount of similarities to Trump fans these days...

Attacking where the news comes from if it's anti-Bernie, coming up with "well what he probably meant"s, and fueling this narrative that it's the establishment trying to shut down the outsider who is gonna change everything.

it's kind of incredible so many people aren't seeing it yet.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every spin on this still amounts to a giant nothing burger

Warren has been rebranding herself as a moderate for a few weeks at least. Hearing the usual moderate buzzwords... "factionalism"....."unity"

And Biden is a creep
Bernie has used the same words. Is he a moderate? It's a lazy talking point for people who dont actually want to make an argument.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
So, your contention is that the conversation did not take place then?
He probably said something along the lines of "I don't think a female candidate could win against, specifically, the Trump campaign in 2020" which is less of a "i don't think women are qualified to run for president" stance and more of a "the trump campaign has a debate style centered around misogynistic bullying, and already trounced one of the most powerful female politicians in America and did so in part by playing to divides arising from feminism and gender" stance.

Against Romney, McCain, whoever else, yeah, absolutely Warren or Clinton or Gillibrand (not Klobuchar ever) would dominate, but against a man whose entire image is inflated masculinity? Trump will literally just accuse them of nagging because he's got nothing to lose, CNN will wag their fingers while giving him six straight weeks of airtime, and he'll coast to re-election. He inflames American sexism in ways that other candidates do not. Jeb Bush for example, would have been absolutely crushed by Clinton.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
It's possible that Sanders wants Warren to run to get her message out there and move the conversation to the left, but personally doesn't believe she can win in the American political climate.

I can also see Warren vehemently disagreeing with this sentiment.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Breaking: Video from a long time ago resurface about Bernie's consistent belief about women being president.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
How are you still allowed to get away with comparing Bernie supporters to Trump supporters on this forum? It's clearly disingenuous trolling. There's a mountain of difference between what Bernie stands for and what Trump stands for.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be best to hear Warren's thoughts on this, no?

I don't like how some of y'all are phrasing this like she's at fault for something.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The responses in this thread are fucking incredible after the last one.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Republicans are watching right now thinking "So he shouldn't have said it? Was that bad? Can we use this?"

I love the fact that this could be a significant controversy whereas for Trump it would just be one of many things wrong in a random tweet. And you know Trump would have said "A woman can't Be Elected President" whereas Bernie probably said something less definitive.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Yeah, I've been noticing a scary amount of similarities to Trump fans these days...

Attacking where the news comes from if it's anti-Bernie, coming up with "well what he probably meant"s, and fueling this narrative that it's the establishment trying to shut down the outsider who is gonna change everything.

it's kind of incredible so many people aren't seeing it yet.

You're comparing Trump's "grab em by the pussy!" caught on audio tape (which is completely in line with his character) vs. Bernie's unrecorded and unsubstantiated suspiciously timed completely out of character declaration of misogyny? Come on now lmao.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How are you still allowed to get away with comparing Bernie supporters to Trump supporters on this forum? It's clearly disingenuous trolling. There's a mountain of difference between what Bernie stands for and what Trump stands for.

conjecture, but might be similar moderation policy that locks threads for similar discussion to this (but which happen to develop a factual basis of context and reason) for several hours under the cover of "reports"

again strictly hypothetical: but there might be a vastly more appropriate thread for the topic of this OP's discussion that goes on to include the political contexts of why this drivel is happening :)

edit: cool it's been moved here with zero transparency or explanation makes perfect sense

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Bernie has used the same words. Is he a moderate?

Sure, if you ignore his policies.... Which are to the left of Warren

Biden to the right? Right?

Making Warren.... wait for it.... the moderate choice. She's just not pretending anymore...Weeelll I feel like the whole standing up and clapping for Trump was a dead giveaway but this recent rebranding has hopefully helped clear the air

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
You're comparing Trump's "grab em by the pussy!" caught on audio tape (which is completely in line with his character) vs. Bernie's unrecorded and unsubstantiated suspiciously timed completely out of character declaration of misogyny? Come on now lmao.
bernie "Access Montpelier" tape leaks and it's literally just footage of him watching the little rascals he-man women haters club bit and cheering

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Whoa, Bernie was talking specifically about the 2020 Presidential Election even way back the !?!
Don't do this disingenuous stuff please. You know what Zombegoast meant, and you know exactly what the press is implying by claiming that Bernie said "a woman can't win."

It's intentionally vague to try and implicate that somehow Bernie is sexist and thinks that a woman "isn't worthy" of the presidency, when everything he has ever said indicates the exact opposite.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
There is a world of difference between "a woman can't be president" and "America is not ready to elect a woman president". The context and actual words in the conversation matter.

This. I mean do people really have that much faith in the American people to think this doesn't matter at all? Being a man is sadly still a boost when it comes to general election politics. Also I don't believe Bernie said this in how the warren campaign is portraying it. Seems pretty desperate and is only hurting the progressive movement. So i lose a little respect for warren. I guess if you're a Biden fan you'd be happy about this.

StarsTurnCold

Avenger
Apr 30, 2018
Not defending what Bernie said but why is this even newsworthy compared to all the dumb and horrible shit Trump says daily as president.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I can believe he said something like that. He probably didn't say it that eloquently. It wouldn't be the first time he's put his foot in his mouth like that. And this is going with the thought that the American people wouldn't be ready. I can also believe that would rub Warren the wrong way, it would do the same to me.

With that said, I don't believe Warren leaked this....mainly because she seemed annoyed that this got out.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to the literally infinite number of threads that will exist once we enter full "he said-she said" mode and pages of discussion and information can be trashed because it makes some folks look less foolish

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
which can be cleared up by bernie, but he's been silent

Incorrect.

"It's sad that, three weeks before the Iowa caucus and a year after that private conversation, staff who weren't in the room are lying about what happened," he said. "What I did say that night was that Donald Trump is a sexist, a racist and a liar who would weaponize whatever he could. Do I believe a woman can win in 2020? Of course! After all, Hillary Clinton beat Donald Trump by 3 million votes in 2016."

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Going to need a little more than "he disagreed" considering Washington Post is out here saying they have a source claiming he didn't disagree. And we already have Sanders on the record saying he told Warren that Trump would use whatever he could to hurt her, not that she'd lose. Between those two things and the fact that he tried to get her to run last time around I have a hard time believing this.

Also super classy of the Warren camp to leak this and then turn around and say it's Sanders' fault Warren had to comment on a private matter (that she herself didn't keep private) specifically because he decided to defend himself.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This came from Warren's camp. You guys are just calling anyone you dont like a moderate now.

And please get over this Bernie persecution narrative. Previous front runners had to deal with worse smears coming from the far left. Folks were pushing the Biden is a sexual assaulter narrative for months.
How about we not try to downplay biden touching men and women as nothing more than smear to a front runner. Its gross.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Don't do this disingenuous stuff please. You know what Zombegoast meant, and you know exactly what the press is implying by claiming that Bernie said "a woman can't win."

It's intentionally vague to try and implicate that somehow Bernie is sexist and thinks that a woman "isn't worthy" of the presidency, when everything he has ever said indicates the exact opposite.

The press has consistently quoted "... can't win in 2020." Contorting that to make it into a "Bernie is sexist" attack is just setting up a straw man to make calling it a lie and an unfair attack easier to do.

Speaking of disingenuous.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017

have had people on this forum compare me to trump supporters because I choose to support Bernie. Also people have called me a bernie bro, straight white male, and sexist lol.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
People keep saying this for some reason lol. What do Corporate Dems have to do with this?

If I were a betting person (which I am not), then I would bet that this was not Warren directly deciding to leak it, it must be one of her staff, one that believes this kind of identity-based smearing will work against Bernie at this point. There is a reason why this was not dropped a year ago, or last month, but rather one day before a debate coming up, and after the latest polls showing Bernie as no#1 in Iowa.

But once again: Bernie endorsed Hillary. He held more than three dozen rallies for her. He wanted Warren to run in 2016. He has decades of history showing that he treats women as equals.You cannot wish sexist Bernie to exist when he does not.

So this is why I lump this attack together with the rest of corporate (otherwise pro-democrat) media-s similar attacks. "Something about him makes my skin crawl / Not a pro-women candidate / Why would AOC endorse an old white guy / etc). It is part of a consistent trend, and it is clearly not working.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Going to need a little more than "he disagreed" considering Washington Post is out here saying they have a source claiming he didn't disagree. And we already have Sanders on the record saying he told Warren that Trump would use whatever he could to hurt her, not that she'd lose. Between those two things and the fact that he tried to get her to run last time around I have a hard time believing this.

Also super classy of the Warren camp to leak this and then turn around and say it's Sanders' fault Warren had to comment on a private matter (that she herself didn't keep private) specifically because he decided to defend himself.
This all the way.

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
Nope, just noticing similar types of behaviors in the fans lately, not starting with this news story but going back a ways.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine he flat out said "a woman cannot win." He probably said something like "it's very unlikely that a woman can win," which isn't the same thing at all.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Elizabeth Warren made this statement late last night, I created this thread since the previous one about this got locked and I saw many people saying they wanted to see direct confirmation from Warren herself regarding this issue so when I saw this Reuters article with a quote directly from Warren, I created this thread.

I am about to turn 34 and want to see a woman become POTUS in my lifetime and think it's completely fucked up that misogyny plays a significant role in why America has not had a single woman as President.