• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
This is a prediction btw

View: https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1605251796020125697

NEW YORK, Dec 20 (Reuters Breakingviews) - Satya Nadella keeps thinking bigger. Microsoft's (MSFT.O) chief executive has been buying new businesses at an impressive clip. Look for him to add Netflix (NFLX.O) to the list in 2023.
Since his 2014 promotion into the technology titan's corner office, Nadella has embarked on a pricey shopping spree. It started with the $2.5 billion acquisition of the company behind the hit game Minecraft. Later, Microsoft bought LinkedIn for $26 billion and the speech recognition and artificial intelligence software developer Nuance for $20 billion. Activision Blizzard (ATVI.O) was by far the largest disclosed target, at $69 billion.

Microsoft is busy fighting U.S. trustbusters for the right to absorb the "Call of Duty" creator. Putting it under the same roof as gaming console Xbox has led to regulatory concerns about market dominance. Even if Nadella loses out on the video-game company for competition reasons, however, owning Netflix would make strategic sense and probably be an easier sell in Washington and Brussels.

The two companies are already closely aligned. Netflix chose Microsoft as its advertising partner for a new advertising-supported subscription service. Microsoft President Brad Smith also sits on the Netflix board. Part of the rationale for a deal is that Microsoft wants to offer a video-game streaming service over multiple devices.

Netflix has its own big plans in gaming. In 2022, the company co-led by Reed Hastings snapped up developer Spry Fox, its sixth in-house studio. Becoming part of the Microsoft empire would supercharge those ambitions. A bundle with streaming TV and games together is not hard to fathom.
With a market value 13 times that of Netflix, as of early December, $1.8 trillion Microsoft can afford Netflix. A 30% premium would value the Netflix enterprise at nearly $190 billion. Significant cost savings would be hard to find, however. And after taxing the $8 billion of operating profit that analysts project for Netflix in 2024, the implied return on investment would only be half its 8% weighted average cost of capital, per Morningstar analysts.

Nadella has defied such back-of-the-envelope financial logic before. And if nothing else, he has shown a willingness to be a bold dealmaker. On that basis, it's easy to believe Microsoft will set its sights on Netflix.

Last edited:

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Weird article. Very strongly doubt lol.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
This is a prediction, by the way. Not a rumor or announcement.

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
Why would Microsoft go after Netflix when they can wait two years and buy the carcass of Warner/Discovery at a discounted price?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
With the current FTC lawsuit, I don't see this coming forward. Even if the FTC lawsuit fails, I'm positive Microsoft has lost confidence in its ability to just lob cash at massive acquisitions like this (edit:) without facing immediate scrutiny and legal processes to make it harder and more expensive than initially expected.

pioneer

May 31, 2022
Is this based on anything real? Pretty unclear from the quotes in the OP but seems like pure speculation

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I am not informed enough to have an opinion on how likely this is, but I always thought Netflix should have done more in the gaming space, renting games back in the day along with DVDs, some form of digital distribution, or streaming games, for many years.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
My thoughts towards the reporter;

14c.jpg

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Breakingviews: "Often contrarian, they are encouraged to express sophisticated, thought-provoking opinions."

they sure do. This isn't a hot take prediction. There were market speculation analysis months if not years ago about MS buying Netflix. Highly doubt it would ever happen and if it does it would face as much if not more scrutiny than the ABK deal.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The only companies not on a potential Microsoft shopping list is like Apple, Google and Amazon.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I swear these places have been predicting somebody (including MS previously) would buy Netflix for years now.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They would certainly like to but there is no universe in which they actually could.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
this would also be a horizontal merger if I'm not mistaken which would be even less likely to go through than a vertical

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Even if this wasn't speculation I'm still gonna go "wtf why?". I guess an argument can be made that they can mashup the two services so Game Pass instantly gets 200 million+ subscribers.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
My thoughts towards the reporter;

14c.jpg
Pure speculation.

I hope this doesn't happen though. I don't care about Activision because I'd like to see how they'd shake things up other than making annual CoD games. I like Netflix and the content it produces so I don't want Microsoft to potentially mess that up.