• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
www.reuters.com

Insight: Georgia Republicans purge Black Democrats from county election boards

Protesters filled the meeting room of the Spalding County Board of Elections in October, upset that the board had disallowed early voting on Sundays for the Nov. 2 municipal election. A year ago, Sunday voting had been instrumental in boosting turnout of Black voters.

The full article has more details. These people are like termites. Just eating away at the framework until it collapses. The next decade is just not looking good for democracy.

GRIFFIN, Georgia, Dec 9 (Reuters) - Protesters filled the meeting room of the Spalding County Board of Elections in October, upset that the board had disallowed early voting on Sundays for the Nov. 2 municipal election. A year ago, Sunday voting had been instrumental in boosting turnout of Black voters.

But this was an entirely different five-member board than had overseen the last election. The Democratic majority of three Black women was gone. So was the Black elections supervisor.

Now a faction of three white Republicans controlled the board – thanks to a bill passed by the Republican-led Georgia legislature earlier this year. The Spalding board's new chairman has endorsed former president Donald Trump's false stolen-election claims on social media.

The unusual rash of restructurings follows the state's passage of Senate Bill 202, which restricted ballot access statewide and allowed the Republican-controlled State Election Board to assume control of county boards it deems underperforming. The board immediately launched a performance review of the Democratic-leaning Fulton County board, which oversees part of Atlanta.

The Georgia restructurings are part of a national Republican effort to expand control over election administration in the wake of Trump's false voter-fraud claims. Republican-led states such as Florida, Texas and Arizona have enacted new curbs on voter access this year. Backers of Trump's false stolen-election claims are running campaigns for secretary of state - the top election official - in battleground states. read more And some Republicans in Wisconsin are seeking to eliminate the state's bipartis

In five of the Georgia counties that restructured election boards - Troup, Morgan, Pickens, Stephens and Lincoln - the legislature shifted the power to appoint some or all election board members to local county commissions, all of which are currently controlled by Republicans. Previously, the appointments had been split evenly between the local Democratic and Republican parties, sometimes with other local entities controlling some appointments. The intent of the old system: To ensure a politically balanced or nonpartisan board.

In the sixth county, Spalding, the parties still choose two members each, but the fifth member is now chosen by local judges. (It used to be decided by a coin flip.) Those judges tend to be politically conservative; they appointed a white Republican to replace a Black Democrat on the election board, giving Republicans a 3-2 majority.

In Morgan County, the majority-Republican county commission reconstituted its election board, ousting two outspoken Black Democrats. In Troup County, a Black Democratic member claims the board shake-up was aimed at ousting her after she fought to increase voting access.

Reuters could not determine the exact split of Democrats and Republicans in the five counties that handed control to county commissions before and after their restructurings. That's because board members' party affiliation is not public information in Georgia, and board representatives declined to identify their allegiances.

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is that law. How hasn't that been repealed ? How can you have a partisan law like that. That's so undemocratic. Insanity

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the elections in 2022 and especially in 2024 are going to be even more of a shitshow than 2020. Espeically 2024 because Trump will be on the ticket and he's put (or will soon) everywhere people who will be happy to steal the election for him, unlike what happened in 2020.

Seven of Nine

Oct 27, 2017
I hate watching this happen, openly and clearly, while the only people who can do anything about it bury their heads in the sand. 'Vote for me harder', seems to be the message of Democrats in response.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
this is happening all over. Jan 6 was just the beginning.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Legit pissed that we saw all this happening in real time and certain influential pols were alright with it happening (probably because they're white supremacists).

The failure to act this spring/summer will be barely remembered, unfortunately.

Like a slow-moving car wreck that we're content to head towards. Don't like the result of the game, just change up all the rules. Meanwhile your supposed teammates who are the leaders/captains don't really give two shits because they got no real skin in this game. They'll be fine regardless.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
What the fuck is that law. How hasn't that been repealed ? How can you have a partisan law like that. That's so undemocratic. Insanity

Why would the Legislature repeal a law that they put into place and like?

I hate watching this happen, openly and clearly, while the only people who can do anything about it bury their heads in the sand. 'Vote for me harder', seems to be the message of Democrats in response.

This is why many of us have been saying that "vote harder" rings hollow and won't work.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
I have to move out of this shit hole country asap.

One side is openly cheating and corrupting the election process while the other side tries to play nice with them. Fucking hell.

Deleted member 9207

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if there'll be a point where elections will finally be removed. With the shrinking republican base, I can see no other way conservatives can win in the future.

Those posts should necessitate an automatic permanent ban on this site.
But why though? The site is perfectly fine with people argumenting their way around anything as long as they don't call other members names.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
The fundamental issue is that a large minority of people (majority in some states & areas) want this. I don't know how a fair voting system can survive when 40-55% of people (depending on the exact area & issue) WANT authoritarianism.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
What can be done? Republicans have embraced this blatant disregard for law, and democracy. While the other side is trying to hold some semblance of decorum trying not to scare independents.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Why do people always blame Ds when Rs do evil shit? The Rs control the legislature in Georgia, they passed the law. If Ds were in power this never would have happened.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
But why though? The site is perfectly fine with people argumenting their way around anything as long as they don't call other members names.

Because it's racially blinded nonsense. Let's blame the demographic that has fought for true democracy since being brought to this country in chains that also votes 90% Democrat while ignoring the white supremacists who are responsible.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
What can be done? Republicans have embraced this blatant disregard for law, and democracy. While the other side is trying to hold some semblance of decorum trying not to scare independents.
There are two voting rights bills in the Senate, but can't really pass them due to Manchin and Sinema upholding white supremacy.

The solution was there, but it was parliamentary blocked. You will need at least 60 Dem Senators for this to happen.

These takes about the Democrats doing nothing is foolish. These bills are old.

The fundamental issue is that a large minority of people (majority in some states & areas) want this. I don't know how a fair voting system can survive when 40-55% of people (depending on the exact area & issue) WANT authoritarianism.

Correct. They also see violence as a means to keep power. It's a shocking statistic. Fox News, Right Wing Radio, and then Trump basically foreshadowed these events.

You're seeing similar movements in Poland for example. The right capturing power using fringe issues. The US is basically there.

But here's the secret, it was always here. Ever since The Civil War. As the astute Professor Eddie Glaude has said, America has never dealt with its original sins of white supremacy.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Doesn't it break your constitution ? I don't think lt would be allowed here. (And I hope I won't have to find out).

I'm not sure but likely not. The Constitution gives broad powers to the States on elections. The law that actually had teeth, The Voting Rights Act, was gutted in 2013 by the Supreme Court.

Why do people always blame Ds when Rs do evil shit? The Rs control the legislature in Georgia, they passed the law. If Ds were in power this never would have happened.

The GOP are garbage, we all agree. The Dems can do something about this but don't because two of the members are okay with this. There current solution of "vote harder!" won't actually work when the GOP will control the election boards in Georgia.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Because conservative media and conservative talking points permeate across the entire political spectrum. Decades and decades of propaganda from the right has spread across the entire political spectrum and people believe even if they call themselves "centrists" or "moderates."

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure but likely not. The Constitution gives broad powers to the States on elections. The law that actually had teeth, The Voting Rights Act, was gutted in 2013 by the Supreme Court.

The GOP are garbage, we all agree. The Dems can do something about this but don't because two of the members are okay with this. There current solution of "vote harder!" won't actually work when the GOP will control the election boards in Georgia.
They literally cannot, though. The Constitution sucks. Especially when you have a partner (the GOP) that is not working in good faith at all.

They don't want minorities voting. Period.

That's why their platitudes about MLK and all that stuff is meaningless. They are openly hostile to black voting.

See Florida's parliamentary tricks to keep voters disenfranchised as well.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
They literally cannot, though. The Constitution sucks. Especially when you have a partner (the GOP) that is not working in good faith at all.

They don't want minorities voting. Period.

I agree that the Constitution is garbage. It always was.

They do but only when voting for them. You should see how eager they are to get the Hispanic and Latino vote down here in South Texas.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017

Living in Georgia, Republicans have had a chokehold on every branch of government for 20+ years. People who haven't liked it have moved out of state. The lone areas of the state not controlled by Republicans are major cities (Atlanta, Savannah, Macon, Augusta). Even then, the governor has made it hard on their citizens to mount an opposition (the 'review' of Fulton county elections as mentioned).

The problem is there is no way that the law can be appealed with the current government. Even if the state legislature realized their errors and put forth a bill that repealed it, Brian Kemp would veto it.

That's why Stacey Abrams needs to win in 2022, even though Kemp has set up a mechanism where if he doesn't like the results, it'll get tossed by biased election boards in rural/outside of cities counties. If he does that, it'll make national news and people will come to Georgia to protest and have a general strike.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I agree that the Constitution is garbage. It always was.

They do but only when voting for them. You should see how eager they are to get the Hispanic and Latino vote down here in South Texas.
Latinos are interesting. I'm one myself. They're not monolithic so it's more complex.

Democrats have dropped the ball here as well.

Also, if you want to look at this historically, this happened because the Roberts court, and Roberts himself, said that Southern states were no longer racist. No lie about this at all. They gutted the Voting Rights Act.

The Supreme Court matters. A lot. Trump getting a massive majority will probably tilt this country to authoritarian in rapid time.

Oct 27, 2017
There are two voting rights bills in the Senate, but can't really pass them due to Manchin and Sinema upholding white supremacy.

The solution was there, but it was parliamentary blocked. You will need at least 60 Dem Senators for this to happen.

Yeah, I do wonder what Dems could actually do. Outside of somehow just having more Dems in the Senate, they're kind of deadlocked

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely in denial if you believe there will not be a civil war

and here is the secret

it ain't the white nationalists who fight for freedom

it's everyone vs the fascists who will have complete control through force

no scenario will lead to people just accepting fascism as the normal one party system of govt

the fascists are outnumbered and are going to continue this because it works and they feel boxed in watching the country change into something they don't accept. They stayed in the shadows until the math was against them. They're out in full force cheating and suppressing

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
They realized that not only can say the quiet part loud, but that it has been such a success that they can get away with anything now.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Really wish it wasn't impossible to move out of this country before shit starts. It's going to get very very bad once a dictatorship starts. Especially if it's someone like Trump.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Latinos are interesting. I'm one myself. They're not monolithic so it's more complex.

Democrats have dropped the ball here as well.

My point wasn't really about Latino and Hispanic voting patterns but that the GOP is okay with minorities that will vote for them.

Dems can eliminate the filibuster. Now, it won't happen because of Manchin and Sinema (likely others as well), but it is within their power to do.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017

and here is the secret

no scenario will lead to people just accepting fascism as the normal one party system of govt
Their wont' be a typical Civil War. Americans, by and large, like peace. They couldn't even take the George Brown protests. Americans, although violent as a culture, actually hates it in their backyard.

The fear mostly is apathy and cementing conservative rule for decades.

My point wasn't really about Latino and Hispanic voting patterns but that the GOP is okay with minorities that will vote for them.

Dems can eliminate the filibuster. Now, it won't happen because of Manchin and Sinema, but it is within their power to do.

They can, but they need Manchin and Sinema, who are not effectively Democrats in spirit. See what I mean? The Dems only have a majority on paper, which is still good--committee appointments, agenda-setting, but doesn't do anything for passing bills.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

and here is the secret

the fascists are outnumbered and are going to continue this because it works and they feel boxed in watching the country change into something they don't accept. They stayed in the shadows until the math was against them. They're out in full force cheating and suppressing

Americans couldn't stand Targets being burned down and you expect the majority to fight against fascists?

If the country does become one party rule, somehow, I expect most Americans to go along with it.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Don't worry folks. The weak democratic party can basically do nothing and just appeal to our non existent common sense of decency and truth and urge us to vote next time. That will do the trick!

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Americans couldn't stand Targets being burned down and you expect the majority to fight against fascists?

If the country does become one party rule, somehow, I expect most Americans to go along with it.
Exactly lol.

Americans are, by and large, lazy and well-fed.

Don't worry folks. The weak democratic party can basically do nothing and just appeal to our non existent common sense of decency and truth and urge us to vote next time. That will do the trick!

The Dems cannot do anything without a solid majority in both Houses and the Executive. It is what it is.

And you know why this happened? SCOTUS weakened the VRA. Where did those nominations come from? GWB. The supposed last GOP Presidential Statesmen, thanks to Trump's vulgarity.

Again, blame the Constitution. It was written by landed gentry which held slaves and Madison, one of the more influential framers, explicitly was afraid of mob rule, which is just a dog-whistle for democracy.

Last edited:

Jceaz

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe not every American is willing to fight fascism, but I have to believe there will be a fight.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Maybe not every American is willing to fight fascism, but I have to believe there will be a fight.

People of color and a few brave white people like John Brown and other abolitionists have always been the ones with the courage to actually fight. Most white people in this country have always been fine with having a sham democracy.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
People of color and a few brave white people like John Brown and other abolitionists have always been the ones with the courage to actually fight. Most white people in this country have always been fine having a sham democracy.
because the status quo doesn't hurt them.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

what else can you do? One more senate seat in 2020 would have completely changed the game.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

Historically, the people who fight fascism have been groups of minorities that were slandered, falsely imprisoned, and murdered. The Black Panther Party, for example. I don't think the vast majority of white people are going to lift a finger.

But what would that accomplish? If Manchin and Sinema aren't on board, eliminating it would still not allow them to push through legislation

To eliminate the filibuster you would have to have them on board already. I assume if they agree to remove the filibuster for a piece of legislation, they will vote for said legislation otherwise they have no reason to eliminate it.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Historically, the people who fight fascism have been groups of minorities that were slandered, falsely imprisoned, and murdered. The Black Panther Party, for example. I don't think the vast majority of white people are going to lift a finger.

To eliminate the filibuster you would have to have them on board already. I assume if they agree to remove the filibuster for a piece of legislation, they will vote for said legislation otherwise they have no reason to eliminate it.
That's the point. They are not on board. At all. They've been very clear about it.

And that's just them. Many other Dems, who are quiet, are against it. They don't need to pipe up since Manchin and Sinema are taking all the heat.

Oct 27, 2017
But they aren't on board and that's the main issue. It's an assumption people here keep making when they've very openly and vocally not in favor of it at all