• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Global warming sucks and its will be horrible but its impossible on Era to have a discussion about this without drive by "WHERE FUCKED" and "HUMANITY IS DOOMED" posts. Yes, parts of the planet may be unlivable in 100, many island nations, costal cities will be gone and I'm not making light of this but to act like humanity is doomed is to give up. We'll adapt and come back. Just got to focus on the nuclear waste issue before current civilization collapses... (Oh boy, now I see where the doomers are coming from.)

Also, can't help feeling complicit in this, I mean hello gaming forum and electronic toys and I drive a gas car, eat meat and live in America. When I get my feet more firmly on the ground I'm going to really look back into reducing my carbon footprint again, like in college.

Oh boy. :(
It depends on what they're doomsdaying about. If they're saying humanity will go extinct, then you're right. If they mean that hundreds of millions will die, then it's deserved. It's ridiculous the levels it has to come to. We have a majority that is combined of climate change deniers, technology optimists who've been so privileged that they can't see the concern and think "everything will be OK -- maybe 20-100 million people will die but I'll be safe anyways so I'm okay with that", people who are obsessed with other issues such as abortion, anti vax, fascism, being anti PC, loving strongmen, hating the left, etc..

We need to recognize that we're failing to educate people in a major way. Empathy, compassion, critical thinking, sociology, politics, are all lost on virtually everyone. Furthermore, there's a huge chunk of centrists that think that educating people is futile and that people's mindsets and capabilities are mostly baked in (see my last thread on education, plenty of them here on resetera). We're not going anywhere in the foreseeable future, I don't see that as doomsday, it's more likely that it's the realistic stance to take, so we have to adjust accordingly.

The good thing is that there is a path to solve all of this, but it means fixing the core issues in education IMO. It's up in the air if we'll ever get there, because we're consistently blinded by the symptoms of everything, and hampered by actual doomsday thinking who actively bring people down from actively contributing, doing something, even a small bit, to help. Let's support, instead of being the crabs who pull each other down. You don't need to tell people who are trying, that they shouldn't. We should admire the people who try, because we're all riding on the coattails of those who do.

To the people who are depressed, for whom topics such as this exacerbate it -- it's totally fine to ignore it. If you're able to, convert it in to activism, if not then ignore it. Just the fact that you care means a lot. There's a huge amount of people who are good, and trying to good things. Let's support each other, and especially those who are more active, in whatever way we can. People like you, and others who do care for and want to have a better world are the ones I want to live with. Even if I don't know you, even if I don't see you, I want, I need you to be there (in the sense of a community of sorts). Because only with people who genuinely want to have a better world can you really make a change for the better. So i guess what I mean to say is, if you care for a better world, take care of yourself first, because we all need each other, no matter what you can contribute, it's about you,not about what you can do. Just knowing you are there is enough. I think, in other words, it's more important that you're there, "just" being there, as the person that you are, is already more than enough.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
We obviously still can have influence on where we go from here, but we're rapidly getting to the point where it's no longer in our control.

And while I don't think we're going to avoid enormous and deadly consequences from our species behavior, it's still worth trying to make a difference in the here and now.

The worst part of our probable future is the immense increase in human suffering, so I always feel like the best thing we can do besides trying to brace ourselves better for the ledge we're heading towards is try to decrease the amount of suffering already in the world. The horrible thing is that many people are simultaneously pushing us towards the ledge unconcerned with the human damage done along the way.

Right now we still have plenty, and we still have slaves. Right now we are wealthy and we still have people dying from curable diseases. Right now we have food and we turn away people who run from hunger. We all need to better, especially now, when it's easy. If things go like I think they will, the choices will be harder.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Large chunks of the western US coast are protected by cliffs, including the part of San Diego County where I live.
Large chunks of the western US coast are protected by cliffs, including the part of San Diego County where I live.

And large chunks of the western coast arent protected by clifs. Or the eastern coast. Or the gulfs.. Or other nations around the world...

millions of human beings will be displaced. The oceans food chain will likely continue to be altered as well.. Which has a knock on effect with everything...

But san diego something something...?

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm just saying that if you want to live out the rest of your days by the coast then San Diego is a good bet as long as you don't choose downtown or next to Bataquitos Lagoon.
This is assuming that climate change is not halted, which is a given really.