• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/muslims-camps-china/

Quite an expansive investigation, so I don't want to reduce it by pulling quotes here and there. They investigate the reports of the concentration camp facility that was built by the Chinese government to house the Uyghurs in Xinjiang. There have been topics on this before, but this Reuters report is perhaps the most detailed and well-investigated one yet. I'll just include the preamble for those who are unfamiliar:

A United Nations panel has accused China of turning its far-flung western region of Xinjiang "into something that resembled a massive internment camp shrouded in secrecy, a 'no rights zone'." It estimates that there could be as many as one million Muslims who have been detained there.

Former detainees describe being tortured during interrogation, living in crowded cells and being subjected to a brutal daily regimen of Communist Party indoctrination that drove some people to suicide. Most of those who have been rounded up by the security forces are Uighurs, a Muslim ethnic minority that numbers some 10 million. Muslims from other ethnic groups, including Kazakhs, have also been detained.

China rejects the allegations that it has locked up large numbers of Muslims in re-education camps. The facilities, it says, are vocational training centers that emphasize "rehabilitation and redemption" and are part of its efforts to combat terrorism and religious extremism.

The crackdown includes tight control over information and access to the region. Xinjiang is now one of the most heavily policed areas in the world, according to academics and human rights groups. This follows the launching of a "people's war on terror" in 2014 after a series of violent attacks in Xinjiang and other parts of China that authorities blamed on religious extremists.

While China says the Uighur camps are vocational training centers, they are heavily guarded. Researchers have resorted to using satellite imagery to view and track the expansion of these facilities.

Reuters worked with Earthrise Media, a non-profit group that analyzes satellite imagery, to plot the construction and expansion of 39 of these camps, which were initially identified using publicly available documents such as construction tenders. The building-by-building review of these facilities revealed that the footprint of the built-up area almost tripled in size in the 17 months between April 2017 and August 2018. Collectively, the built-up parts in these 39 facilities now cover an area roughly the size of 140 soccer fields.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking Christ, they're going to wipe out an entire culture and people due to the world's apathy.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Fucking Christ, they're going to wipe out an entire culture and people due to the world's apathy.

I mean...what is the world going to do? Stop trading with China? That would require unheard of international cooperation and political will. It would require leaders that put human right principles before "the economy" and their chances at re-election. Their racist constituents will be all like "oh you care about some chinese muslims but you don't care about me and my job"?

Look what happened the Angela Merkel when she did the right thing about refugees. Many voters punished her for it. Fucking xenophobic morons. As if they didn't need the boost in birth rates (they're at 1.5 children per woman...an absolute disaster. You need 2.2 minimum to replace dying population)

I'll never forget what she did, and she single handedly redeemed the german people in my eyes, but I don't vote in Germany, so now she's out of a job.

Racism sucks.

Oct 25, 2017
If these were white Christians they were detaining in camps the outrage in this country would be off the charts and the calls for swift military action would have happened months ago

They aren't, so here we sit lamenting the fact that yes much of a culture is about to be wiped out by the ruling party over there but welp gotta have cheap electronics and toys and other shit! Stuff is worth more than people!

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If these were white Christians they were detaining in camps the outrage in this country would be off the charts and the calls for swift military action would have happened months ago

They aren't, so here we sit lamenting the fact that yes much of a culture is about to be wiped out by the ruling party over there but welp gotta have cheap electronics and toys and other shit! Stuff is worth more than people!
i would say even christians don't get a second look. they've been driven out of many countries 'over there'.

Oct 25, 2017
There are 2 options, military and economic

No one is going to war over the uyghurs and no one wants to pay 3000 dollars for their iphone, so yeah, they are fucked, its really shitty but unless the chinese public somewhat raises up against their tyranical goverment nothing can be done

sayuuna

Sep 6, 2018
臺灣 「 臺北市 」

Water is wet. With the current admi istration it is harder for these arguments to have solid ground. I say that in consolation.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
There are 2 options, military and economic

No one is going to war over the uyghurs and no one wants to pay 3000 dollars for their iphone, so yeah, they are fucked, its really shitty but unless the chinese public somewhat raises up against their tyranical goverment nothing can be done

Short term economic hurt but we can get cheap shit again in the long term.

Start building factories in other Asian/African countries.

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing you can do is say FUCK CHINA, and avoid any mainland chinese product (sadly, only taking into account the design and brand, since production is in china for everything now).

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty sure China is also doing it to Christians, but on a smaller scale (for now)

Main difference here being that Uygher Muslims are also an Ethnic minority rather than just religious.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the best bet would be to start feeding this to Trump. He hates China for all the wrong reasons but there are legitimate ways to steer this whole stupid tariff thing.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I think the best bet would be to start feeding this to Trump. He hates China for all the wrong reasons but there are legitimate ways to steer this whole stupid tariff thing.

Assuming you're just dumb and not trolling maybe check out the multiple times that Trump has praised the Chinese leadership for their actions in suppressing the demonstrations in Tienneman Square.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
This would be great, but there's one issue here; his voters also hates muslims and immigrants in general. Trump himself is a complete moron.