• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Chinese gaming company Beijing Kunlun Tech Co Ltd is seeking to sell Grindr LLC, the popular gay dating app it has owned since 2016, after a U.S. government national security panel raised concerns about its ownership, according to people familiar with the matter.

The Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) has informed Kunlun that its ownership of West Hollywood, California-based Grindr constitutes a national security risk, the two sources said.

CFIUS' specific concerns and whether any attempt was made to mitigate them could not be learned. The United States has been increasingly scrutinizing app developers over the safety of personal data they handle, especially if some of it involves U.S. military or intelligence personnel.

Kunlun had said last August it was preparing for an initial public offering (IPO) of Grindr. As a result of CFIUS' intervention, Kunlun has now shifted its focus to an auction process to sell Grindr outright, given that the IPO would have kept Grindr under Kunlun's control for a longer period of time, the sources said.

The development represents a rare, high-profile example of CFIUS undoing an acquisition that has already been completed. Kunlun took over Grindr through two separate deals between 2016 and 2018 without submitting the acquisition for CFIUS review, according to the sources, making it vulnerable to such an intervention.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...o-divest-the-dating-app-sources-idUSKCN1R809L

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Ok so why exactly is this a problem if TikTok and Fortnite aren't?

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The concern is probably that people "in the closet" that use Grindr could be blackmailed if they're in US government positions, and China isn't exactly known for treating data securely.
hm ok

maybe usa should just changed into a country where people wouldn't feel the need to be in the closet about such a thing

(this is probably a dumb comment, sorry)

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf

I didn't know it got bought by a Chinese company in 2016. I met my husband on Grindr

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hm ok

maybe usa should just changed into a country where people wouldn't feel the need to be in the closet about such a thing

(this is probably a dumb comment, sorry)

I'm not gay but feel like we should leave it up to gay people for how and when they want to come out.

I will agree with the implication I feel is behind your statement, that one shouldn't feel ashamed to be gay. But it's easy for me to say, so I'd rather be overly empathetic.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably gay GOP members still in the closet worried that their secret, and the hypocrisy that comes with it, comes to light.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I didn't know that the app is owned by a Chinese company.
We had a thread a few months ago where the Grindr CEO apparently made a comment about how marriage should only be between a man and a woman.

He was misquoted, though. His comment was actually about how governments trying to force marriage to be like it traditionally is defined is a waste of resources and time, despite whatever personal beliefs he has.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea that Grindr was owned by a Chinese company. Figured it was owned by the same guy who owns Match, Tinder, eHarmony, and everything else. Learn something new. If individuals in National Security are using it, I can see why there'd be a risk.

The best way to combat Russian and Chinese blackmail schemes around honeypots and homosexuality is by supporting LGBTQ communities to continue to make all lifestyles more accepted. China and Russia can't blackmail someone for being gay if nobody is ashamed of being gay. Instead, you have this Administration trying to bring back Clinton-era Dont Ask Dont Tell.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It could also be about showing someone is unfaithful. And isn't Grindr location based? I imagine that's a whole host of issues.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
is this trump admin fuckery or an actual reasonable concern?

Not quite. The Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) mentioned in the report has been around for literally decades. However, their authority was enhanced last year with the FIRRMA bill, which enjoyed broad bi-partisan support. So not really a Trump thing. When it comes to China, both there isn't much different between parties.

the case in question definitly falls under FIRRMA though, as the company in question owns huge amounts of data on U.S. citizens. So you COULD argue it's a Trump thing (but not really)

somewhat good article on CFIUS:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/05/business/what-is-cfius.html
Makes you realize that the U.S. is literally ruled by secret organizations...