• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
UK trade body UKIE, as part of its 30 Years of Play campaign, handed out numerous awards to games that have sold over 1m copies in the UK.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-04-12-every-game-to-sell-over-1m-copies-in-the-uk

https://ukie.org.uk/event/2019/04/11/30-years-play-uk-best-selling-game-awards

8cnif90.jpg

QBDBwlL.jpg

In addition to the million sellers club, UKIE and GfK also called out UK-made games that have sold over 600,000 boxed copies in the UK. This includes the likes of Colin McRae Rally, Kinect Sports, Forza Horizon 3, LittleBigPlanet, Tomb Raider, The Getaway and more. Full list is below. ]

OBslL9n.jpg

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Important part.

The list only contains games to have sold 1m copies on an individual platform. This means that games that have sold over 1m copies across multiple formats (like Fallout 4, for instance) do not make the cut. Whereas Grand Theft Auto V, which has sold 1m copies on four different formats, makes the list four times.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
Some takes from the lists;

• Only 1 Halo being on that list is a suprise.
  • Interesting from the 1 million list that there are only three games from the Sixth generation (Grand Theft Auto 3, VC and SA) and they were all on PlayStation 2, nothing from Gamecube, Dreamcast or OG Xbox
  • PlayStation really dominated the UK retail.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
GTA V selling over 1 million on 4 different platforms (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One).

Not a surprise considering I don't think it's left the UK Charts. It's always on there.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty shocked LBP sold that much in the UK alone. Also, surprised to see Forza Horizon but no Gran Turismo. Where would GT fall on this list?

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Million sellers by platform:

X360: 15
Wii: 10
PS3: 9
PS4: 8
DS: 4
PS2: 4
XBO: 3

Just shows how sales are concentrating more and more to the smaller amount of big games. PS2 only with 4 million sellers despite insane sw sales and PS1 doesn't have a single million seller.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Gen before last: 4 millon sellers.
Last gen :38 Million sellers.
This gen : 11 million sellers.

I know this gen isnt really over yet, but wow.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
The biggest surprise to me is that RDR2 was not a million+ seller on the Xbox One.

OP
OP
Bruno MB

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017

• Interesting from the 1 million list that there are only three games from the Sixth generation (Grand Theft Auto 3, VC and SA) and they were all on PlayStation 2, nothing from Gamecube, Dreamcast or OG Xbox

Dreamcast sold 600,000 units, GameCube 1,200,000 and Xbox 2,300,000.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So thats settled, Forza Horizon 3 dominated

[Sexy guy doing shoulder press]

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Where's the Pokemon games? Is it that different versions counting separately again?

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I'm genuinely surprised Pro Evo didn't make the list, it was a beast on PS2. Also surprised GT3 isn't on there considering how big a deal it was and for a time it was bundled with all new PS2s in 2003.

It's a shame this is only 20 years worth because I'd love to see what the Mega Drive did.

Oct 27, 2017

Is it really a surprise about Halo?

The original Xbox didn't sell very well. 360 did well and the hype for Halo 3 at the time was amazing. But then came COD 4 at the same time and that proved to more popular especially the sequels compared to the games that followed up after Halo 3.

PS dominated the UK retail. But MS threw all their momentum away after the 360. They priced it too high and obviously all that stupid shit before the Xbox one was announced.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
What the hell at The Simpsons: Hit & Run being there.

Not that it's an obscure title (it has accumulated quite the cult following over the years), just surprising.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
The biggest surprise to me is that RDR2 was not a million+ seller on the Xbox One.
Xbox version has since release consistently sold several places below the PS4 version in the UK charts and it has also absolutely cratered in the last 2 weeks compared to the PS4 version.
PS4 version was 7 and 6 in the last 2 weeks respectively and Xbox version was out of top 40 in both weeks.

Oct 25, 2017
[QUOTE="Toumari, post: 19770644,

Nice to see The Getaway there. What a classic.[/QUOTE]

Indeed.

Sony need to do remake, even if they have to dump all the licensed cars / shop fronts as it'd probably be a licensing minefield. It needs to happen on that Guerrilla Games engine.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see Forza Horizon 3

Mildly surprised 4 isn't, but that may simply be a matter of time.

Curious why the "successful british games" cutoff is pegged at 600k, 500k strikes me as a more logical arbitrary point to work from!

Edit: Also curious that the World Cup FIFA titles don't make an impression.

Edit2: And on top of that, I note that of the TT Lego games, only the PS2 version of Lego Star Wars 1 makes the 600k grade. Given original LSW is prequel trilogy, I'm really surprised that LSW2 (original trilogy) that came out shortly afterwards (and on the same platforms, if I recall correctly) didn't also do as well.

Last edited:

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
Some poor trends there for Microsoft.
Start of the gen they sell over a million on FIFA just like on the PS4, then after a couple years they don't.

Similarly, on COD, Xbox went from last gen having more of the games being million sellers to now the reverse where Playstation has more (XB doesn't even have any!).

Lastly, RDR2 isn't a million seller on XB1 but is on PS4.

These are all poor trends that may hurt their brand going into next generation as more and more people seemingly don't buy their games* on XB.

*granted, only retail.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
lol what happened with Fifa 15?
All sales were split between different platforms, so non reached 1 million.

That started with 14, were X360 was the only platform to still sell 1 million.
and it took them to 16 until Ps4 and XB1 did 1 million again.

And for Fifa 18 onwards we see digital in effect with XB1 missing.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Not one Gran Turismo sold 1m in the UK!

Colour me surprised. In fact the lack of any Sony 1st Party on that list is a complete surprise to me.

Wow.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018

As others have pointed out, the UK pre 360 was playstation land. Same with europe in general. The consoles themselves barely cracked a mil, yet alone there software

Uk only swapped to 360 after the absurd price of the launch ps3

Still odd too see few ps2 million sellers, but thats probably due to the larger amount of games

Also im not 100% sure about this list. Im pretty certain that tekken 3 holds the record as the first game in the UK to sell over a million copies, yet its not here. Unless game are only counting there own store statistics.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
What happened with FIFA 15?

I mentioned upthread that the World Cup titles didn't show up either; FIFA 15 appeared in the same year as World Cup 2014, so it might perhaps be that people weren't in the market for two separate FIFA titles that year, splitting the userbase?