• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Are you serious? lol
SMH. Reading is hard.

Anyway, these charts are physical only, so they're missing way too much data for anyone to make comparisons between the number of million sellers last gen to this gen.

Edit: FIFA going from charting on both PS4 and XB1 with 16/17 to only on PS4 with 18/19 is interesting as that's when the marketing deal went from Microsoft to Sony. So I guess that shows the power of those marketing deals and bundles.

Last edited:

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
This is a pretty depressing list. Sorry everyone, I'll buy a million copies of something decent soon to balance the scales.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
This list will be pretty much the same everywhere except for Japan.

ab3.gif

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I find it hard to believe that no single Pokémon game has hit 1,000,000 units and that Goldeneye 007 (alongside other Rare games) did not reach 600,000. Everybody and their mother had a copy of that game.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
I haven't read the thread yet, but why is Grand Theft Auto V on both lists, where as others on the million sellers list aren't on the 600,000+ list?...

EDIT: Nevermind, silly me. Didn't read the GIANT PRINT on the side...

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Million sellers by platform:

X360: 15
Wii: 10
PS3: 9
PS4: 8
DS: 4
PS2: 4
XBO: 3

Just shows how sales are concentrating more and more to the smaller amount of big games. PS2 only with 4 million sellers despite insane sw sales and PS1 doesn't have a single million seller.
I think that has more to do with the market for games growing dramatically in the last two decades. For example, the original Tomb Raider games had a way larger market share in the 90s than the Tomb Raider reboot has had (I mean, the games were freaking huge back then - everyone was talking about them even outside of gaming), yet the Tomb Raider reboot sold a larger number of copies. That's because, nowadays, there are simply more people playing games so it's easier to sell those kinds of numbers and it also takes far more sales now to reach the same kind of relevancy.

Oct 29, 2017
I find it hard to believe that no single Pokémon game has hit 1,000,000 units and that Goldeneye 007 (alongside other Rare games) did not reach 600,000. Everybody and their mother had a copy of that game.

Most people bought import copies of Pokemon back in the day; the European releases were comically late. Until the GBA came along, we were at least a whole year behind the US with all Pokemon releases!

Even your average mainstream game retailler used to just sell the US versions of the GB/GBC games because their European releases were so comically mishandled.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Most people bought import copies of Pokemon back in the day; the European releases were comically late. Until the GBA came along, we were at least a whole year behind the US with all Pokemon releases!

Even your average mainstream game retailler used to just sell the US versions of the GB/GBC games because their European releases were so comically mishandled.
Come to think of it, you are totally right. I bought a US copy of Ruby from my local game shop and I recall watching a friend play a translated Japanese ROM of Gold/Silver before the monsters even had English names.

Still, not a single Pokémon game to sell more than a million units?!

Oct 25, 2017
No surprise to see Era hating on Fifa, stick to babby shite like Soulsborne you filthy casuals.

Weirdly enough, I can remember loads of people having a copy of Colin McRae Rally.

Seeing that brought back a load of memories. It was a good time to like console racing games, you also had v-rally and toca touring cars at the time. (In addition to Gran Turismo plus all the different arcade racers)

So Fifa is on a decline? You'd think 18/19 would outsell 16/17 with the higher install base.

I imagine thats because more people are buying digital as opposed to retail copies.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where are Pokémon games? Even with dual versions counted separately they should be there
Well for years Nintendo used to delay stuff for several months, often a year, so people buy imports, and when the games do finally release in the UK the imports are usually significantly cheaper still. Pretty much all the Nintendo games on the list are games bundled with hardware.

Oct 29, 2017
Come to think of it, you are totally right. I bought a US copy of Ruby from my local game shop and I recall watching a friend play a translated Japanese ROM of Gold/Silver before the monsters even had English names.

Still, not a single Pokémon game to sell more than a million units?!

Yeah, we really take simultaneous world-wide releases for granted nowadays. We got absolutely shafted all the way until Gen 7; when almost every publisher (including Nintendo) finally pulled their fingers out and started treating Europe properly!

We got the bum end of the deal for a LONG time! Kids these days have no idea how good they have it!

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I think that has more to do with the market for games growing dramatically in the last two decades. For example, the original Tomb Raider games had a way larger market share in the 90s than the Tomb Raider reboot has had (I mean, the games were freaking huge back then - everyone was talking about them even outside of gaming), yet the Tomb Raider reboot sold a larger number of copies. That's because, nowadays, there are simply more people playing games so it's easier to sell those kinds of numbers and it also takes far more sales now to reach the same kind of relevancy.

I mean globally PS2 has still the highest software shipments by far (over 1.5 billion units). it was also crazy popular in UK. Yet even PS3 (far less popular platform) has double amount million sellers in UK. I mean gaming market has definitely grown too but sales are also concentrating more and more to the selected big titles. You can see it from the releases we get also. From large publishers pretty much only japanese pubs release AA budget games nowadays. Western pubs like Activision and EA have scaled down the amount of releases by very large margin and concentrate on big mega sellers. EA used to release a billion games a year during PS2 gen. Nowadays they release only very few AAA games a year.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
It's likely that the two versions mainline Pokemon games usually come with are counted separately.

As for Goldeneye, N64 total install base in UK was around 1.6M so for a N64 game to sell 1M it need an extremely high attach rate.

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
Some poor trends there for Microsoft.

Take these figures with a grain of salt. They don't include digital sales and just the other week there was an article posted here that detailed a large portion of Xbox sales over the last few years are digital. Alot more than any other platform.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
SMH. Reading is hard.

Anyway, these charts are physical only, so they're missing way too much data for anyone to make comparisons between the number of million sellers last gen to this gen.

Edit: FIFA going from charting on both PS4 and XB1 with 16/17 to only on PS4 with 18/19 is interesting as that's when the marketing deal went from Microsoft to Sony. So I guess that shows the power of those marketing deals and bundles.

Or more people started to get EA Access which isn't available on Playstation.