• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 8, 2017
"You're changing too many things, this isn't Gof of War anymore"

This is a subject in which I'm particularly interested. Sometimes, when series become popular enough in one style/genre, it becomes difficult to 'imagine' these series taking a different path or approach:
- because that would mean taking risks. Investors don't like risks, you could also loose existing fans,
- because you have to fight and convince your teams internally to accept your new vision.

Yet, sometimes it is the right thing to do when the time comes:
- because you could gain a lot more fans into the series,
- because you have a vision/story. You believe in it and you are going to polish your game 200%.

And that is what happened with these three games: God of War 2018, Zelda Botw and to a lesser extend Panzer Dragoon Saga.
Panzer Dragoon Saga was of the same generation of the two previous PD games but it took a risk in making a RPG (that felt very much like an action game tbh, simply because it was way more dynamic than any other JRPG and still is to this day) while the series was known as on rail shooters before.

So we have seen this whole situation perfectly illustrated with 2018 God of War which proved to be a commercial success.
We have seen something similar with Zelda Breath of the Wild.

And we know it was difficult when Team Andromeda decided to make Panzer Dragoon Saga because the heritage of the series was on rail shooter. They had to convince the teams internally.
If you are interested in the the whole story about the making of the game, I suggest reading this article and this article.
This last one game didn't meet commercial success for many reasons.
Yet, it was amazingly praised by the press when it released.
Then we had Panzer Dragoon Orta years later which was a great game for the rail shooter genre, but took little risks. It bet on the genre for which the series was mainly known.
And this is exactly why things need to be changed when this series will return.

So tell me, what game/series would you like to see return in an ambitious modern fashion ?
When I say modern fashion, I mean by breaking the mold in which the original game or series was previously made. Not just the same genre with 4K HDR graphics.

Me ? I want to see Panzer Dragoon return in a modern game.
Because its lore is just too unique to let it fade... If you have some imagination, you know what I mean.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
Star Fox but make it a racing game :D

Seriously though is this the first time Sony has made a re imagining of a major franchise? Nintendo had been doing it for years with different results.

OP
OP
Panzer Dragoon World
Nov 8, 2017
Star Fox but make it a racing game :D

Well, there is currently a rumor about a Star Fox game, not sure this is what they are doing...

Seriously though is this the first time Sony has made a re imagining of a major franchise? Nintendo had been doing it for years with different results.
Yea, I'm not an expert of all games of all times, I was hoping someone would come and give us some more examples of series that have been changed.