• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
beIt4hB.gif

I threw this together last year during a similar thread and I feel it sums it up nicely. That IS Luke Skywalker and the core of what makes him such a good character. He is reckless and impulsive. His compulsiveness brings him close to throwing it all away, but he always comes to senses. That's why people love him. There is much more to him other than looking cool while force choking pig people or being a badass with a lightsaber, which are the types of characters that Star Wars has in spades.
Kind of different scenarios considering vader was fighting luke and was an evil murderer. Kylo was just his own family member sleeping at that point.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Last Jedi killed all the hype I had for Episode 9. Not being hyperbolic here.

And the reason why The Last Jedi killed all my hype for Episode 9 was precisely for they way Luke was portrayed. Before TLJ happened, Luke was supposed to be the most powerful Jedi ever. It really hurt when Rey was able to defeat him on the island.

And Luke should not have been a projection in the final scene against Kylo. He should have been there, showing lots of Jedi skills... maybe defeating all those AT-AT vehicles by himself using the Force or something.

It feels like TLJ was made to destroy every single one of those expectations to ground those in the fanbase that thought Luke was a literal god because decades of time passing by and nostalgia built him like that.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of different scenarios considering vader was fighting luke and was an evil murderer. Kylo was just his own family member sleeping at that point.

Luke had a sudden force vision of the absolute evil Ben would become, and the destruction he would wreak. We know from TFA that these visions are visceral, and feel real.

Deleted member 17810

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't disagree with your characterization of Luke, but I want to push back on this a little. I think your description of "gray" jedi as "concerned with keeping the peace" and "being one with the living force" is perhaps more what the Jedi Order used to be and that would fall in line with the vision Luke rejected, and that Luke is advocating a more heroic "save your friends" type of Jedi. More focused on heroism than dogmatic balance.

I don't think we are on the same page exactly. Yoda + Obi-Wan = Dogmatic balance. For example, Qui-Gon trusted his feelings and the force and insisted on training Anakin. If Darth Maul hadn't killed him everything would have been different.

Obi-Wan + Yoda insist that Luke ought to kill Vader/Palpatine and that it's the only way. Well yeah sometimes you have to fight for your life, but Luke goes against those teachings and decides to trust his feelings and the force. It works.

When I talk about a wandering Jedi I'm talking about someone who isn't obsessed with balance, just someone connected to the living force, seeking to bring about peace when confronted with a problem while roaming around the galaxy.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
The best part is that TLJ is literally about the perils of putting your heroes on a pedestal and expecting them to be paragons instead of people. Y'know, just like some vocal parts of the fandom have been doing to Luke (and, indeed, Vader) for decades.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we are on the same page exactly. Yoda + Obi-Wan = Dogmatic balance. For example, Qui-Gon trusted his feelings and the force and insisted on training Anakin. If Darth Maul hadn't killed him everything would have been different.

Obi-Wan + Yoda insist that Luke ought to kill Vader/Palpatine and that it's the only way. Well yeah sometimes you have to fight for your life, but Luke goes against those teachings and decides to trust his feelings and the force. It works.

When I talk about a wandering Jedi I'm talking about someone who isn't obsessed with balance, just someone connected to the living force, seeking to bring about peace when confronted with a problem while roaming around the galaxy.
No we're in agreement. I jumped the gun at "gray jedi" and it's old implications regarding balance and conflated keeping the peace with taking a neutral position. My bad.

Last edited:

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
You dont think that MAYBE after something like the ending of RotJ he might have some sort of trauma that could induce something VERY similar to those events which would cause that trauma to resurface and manifest itself in a similar way?

Deleted member 17810

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You dont think that MAYBE after something like the ending of RotJ he might have some sort of trauma that could induce something VERY similar to those events which would cause that trauma to resurface and manifest itself in a similar way?

I was more or less going to type this out. Remember, he looked into Kylo's mind and he was basically fantasizing about murdering everyone gleefully. I'm hoping Rise Of Skywalker will give us just a little more behind what happend to Kylo.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I was more or less going to type this out. Remember, he looked into Kylo's mind and he was basically fantasizing about murdering everyone gleefully. I'm hoping Rise Of Skywalker will give us just a little more behind what happend to Kylo.
Snoke planted the illusion of a dream for Luke to find.

Just kidding.

Oct 28, 2017
The best part is that TLJ is literally about the perils of putting your heroes on a pedestal and expecting them to be paragons instead of people. Y'know, just like some vocal parts of the fandom have been doing to Luke (and, indeed, Vader) for decades.

This is so true. The theme is paralleled in Rose fangirling over Finn as well .

Oct 25, 2017
In RotJ he stunts on enemies he's more powerful than and when faced with a real challenge only pulls off not dying because Vader does a heel-face turn.

Wow, RotJ went way over your head

His sacrifice at the end of TLJ was the most noble thing he's ever done

Also Donald Glover's portrayal of Lando in Solo might be the best acting job in Star Wars history.

If Han had been done that well Solo would have been one of the best SW movies ever.

Feb 21, 2019
Thank you. Completely agree OP. I was saying this back when TLJ first released and it was like I was kicking people's puppies.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TLJ is the greatest Star Wars movie ever made, topping ESB. I don't expect a SW film in my lifetime to pull off that feat again.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I go ESB>SW=TLJ>ROTJ>=TFA

Yeah, a little waffle-y at the end, but it can be hard to choose at times (Not sure where I sit with Rogue One, still haven't seen Solo, and the Prequels are way down the list).

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Not only did TLJ get Luke right, it gave him the proper send-off that he deserved in a much better way than RotJ ever did.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
The Last Jedi killed all the hype I had for Episode 9. Not being hyperbolic here.

And the reason why The Last Jedi killed all my hype for Episode 9 was precisely for they way Luke was portrayed. Before TLJ happened, Luke was supposed to be the most powerful Jedi ever. It really hurt when Rey was able to defeat him on the island.
Says who?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, if we're doing full series ranks, no ties:

ESB
TLJ
ANH
TFA
ROGUE ONE
ROTJ
ROTS
Solo
TPM
AOTC

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
beIt4hB.gif

I threw this together last year during a similar thread and I feel it sums it up nicely. That IS Luke Skywalker and the core of what makes him such a good character. He is reckless and impulsive. His compulsiveness brings him close to throwing it all away, but he always comes to senses. That's why people love him. There is much more to him other than looking cool while force choking pig people or being a badass with a lightsaber, which are the types of characters that Star Wars has in spades.
now imagine if people went on and on about how Return of the Jedi ruined Luke because he would never consider killing his father

Oct 25, 2017
i still cant figure out why old man luke gives a fuck about the sacred texts, as much as the rest of the TLJ portrayal makes no sense to me, thats about the biggest.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i still cant figure out why old man luke gives a fuck about the sacred texts, as much as the rest of the TLJ portrayal makes no sense to me, thats about the biggest.

He literally founded a Jedi temple and was teaching the next generation of Jedi when Ben destroyed everything.

Why would he NOT care about the last remaining vestige of the religion he was trying to keep alive?

Luke is a man divided. His failures lead him to the conclusion that the Jedi must end, yet he cannot divest himself of the past. This is his struggle the entire film.

Oct 27, 2017
beIt4hB.gif

What are you implying, that we have to keep fighting our demons our entire lives? I thought we could just defeat them once and then be perfect.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Yeah Luke was always flawed and made serious mistakes (unlike Rey arguably), but it made him interesting. Still, at an older age you expect more wisdom and maturity. Becoming a loser and a quitter didn't feel likely for his character, yet that's what he became.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Luke was always flawed and made serious mistakes (unlike Rey arguably), but it made him interesting. Still, at an older age you expect more wisdom and maturity. Becoming a loser and a quitter didn't feel likely for his character, yet that's what he became.

The magnitude of his failure was...vast. I can't blame him going to a dark place.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Um, I mean, the movie itself actually confirms it with what Luke does at the end soooo......

"What he does at the end"? You mean defeating his conflicted father, who doesn't actually want to kill him and has lost to other people in his prime? I'm not trying to downplay it, but it certainly doesn't make Luke the strongest Jedi of all time.