• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just rewatched this Extra Credits video on whyCall of Juarez: The Cartelsucks for just being plain problematic (it has an achievement for killing 40 black gangbangers!) and for incorrectly depicting aspects of the Mexican drug war to an unaware audience.

6 years later (as of last month) and this is still probably the most negative and... angry the channel has ever been. Not sure if the EC team as ever been as scathingly critical to a lone developer or to an individual game since then. They even used the phrase "lazy design" unironically too. I can't imagine Dan saying that in any of their recent videos. They are just a voice of positivity these days.

I don't know. I just wanted to share this one dark turn this popular gaming channel had. Techland sort of turn the series and their reputation around too since then, making the generally liked Call of Juarez: Gunslinger and Dying Light.

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to type a little about EC.

My issues with Extra Credits run pretty deep into their videos. Their JRPG vs WRPG episode almost made a friend of mine burst a blood vessel from their lack of research, they put ARMA on a video graphic mentioning "Call of Duty clones," and many inconsistencies and general lack of research has turned me off the channel. It doesn't help that some of the misinformation is delivered in a self-assured chipmunk pitch shifted voice.

I don't hate the channel, but I avoid its content now. I'm on mobile so I can't link more examples but I'll try later.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
The difference between CoJ: The Cartel and CoJ: Gunslinger has to be one of the widest gaps in quality between two consecutive entries of a series.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017

My issues with Extra Credits run pretty deep into their videos. Their JRPG vs WRPG episode almost made a friend of mine burst a blood vessel from their lack of research, they put ARMA on a video graphic mentioning "Call of Duty clones," and many inconsistencies and general lack of research has turned me off the channel. It doesn't help that some of the misinformation is delivered in a self-assured chipmunk pitch shifted voice.

I don't hate the channel, but I avoid its content now. I'm on mobile so I can't link more examples but I'll try later.

Their arguments are pretty heavily researched, but I imagine they don't extensively check every single graphic. Not familiar with the problems in their jrog vs western rpg vid.

Anyway, I think they were negative in that video because the situation warrented it.

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yeah I watched it back when it came out. Christ this game is bad on so many levels.

Oct 25, 2017
That game is so outrageously wrong and racist I don't know how it managed to get through so many levels of development without anyone thinking "Uhhhh. I don't think this story bit is a good idea."

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

People make mistakes and generalisations, especially when making videos that attempt to deal with branching topics in short <10 minute packages. Extra Credits does great work on analysing games from a perspective outside of "how good are the graphics" and imo their positives dramatically outweigh any inconsistencies.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
People make mistakes and generalisations, especially when making videos that attempt to deal with branching topics in short <10 minute packages. Extra Credits does great work on analysing games from a perspective outside of "how good are the graphics" and imo their positives dramatically outweigh any inconsistencies.

Yeah.

I think it is important to bring up when they fuck up, but they are much too good otherwise to crucify when they do.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
There are often mix ups between the artist/s and writer/s in terms of visuals, they try to address those inconsistencies in the extra history LIES videos. Like when they're talking about a country hundreds of years ago when it had a different flag but the artist put up a picture of the modern flag, that kind of thing. They could probably afford to make a LIES video for all their gaming videos where they've made errors, but that's kind of a small complaint.

I enjoy pretty much all of what they do; creditz, history, sci-fi, play.

OP
OP
chaobreaker

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Those particular videos are pretty old and I can assure you the Extra Credits that would venture into topics they have little to no understanding about or would post incorrect stuff like that CoD clone one is no more.

I suggest you give them another shot.