• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The never ending TLJ discourse is driving engagement for alt right videos on youtube because of their algorithm. It's not about anyone being right or wrong. It's about the alt right benefiting from the fact that no one can let it go.
This is such a poor assessment of the situation. The alt-right youtubes aren't being propped up by some three-year old ongoing TLJ street brawl, least they wither and fade away; they're the ones sustaining the resentment with their drip feed of aggrievement. TLJ just happens to be their favored cudgel to bring out early and often.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with a lot of this. My family (wife and 3 kids) all saw it. I, my wife, and 2 of my kids (one of which is a conservative) LOVED the movie. However, one of my kids (who is progressive) loathed this movie. And for very different reasons than the article states.

His favorite Star Wars character of all time is Luke Skywalker. No matter how much you try to convince him, he insists the Skywalker's character was dragged through the mud. He was OK with Luke dying, but not the way he did.

He was also pissed that Finn's story almost seemed like an after thought and that his whole part was written like it wasn't in the script to being with and added last minute. I too find this to be the only flaw in the movie.

In conclusion, that's why I hate articles of this nature. Just because a person thinks or acts the same way you do, it doesn't make them toxic. It means they're human. People disliked and liked the movie for different reasons. Trying to rationalize it by grouping people isn't the way to go. Now there are certainly people that hated it for the reasons stated in that article. Just not everyone.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I disagree with a lot of this. My family (wife and 3 kids) all saw it. I, my wife, and 2 of my kids (one of which is a conservative) LOVED the movie. However, one of my kids (who is progressive) loathed this movie. And for very different reasons than the article states.

His favorite Star Wars character of all time is Luke Skywalker. No matter how much you try to convince him, he insists the Skywalker's character was dragged through the mud. He was OK with Luke dying, but not the way he did.

He was also pissed that Finn's story almost seemed like an after thought and that his whole part was written like it wasn't in the script to being with and added last minute. I too find this to be the only flaw in the movie.

In conclusion, that's why I hate articles of this nature. Just because a person thinks or acts the same way you do, it doesn't make them toxic. It means they're human. People disliked and liked the movie for different reasons. Trying to rationalize it by grouping people isn't the way to go. Now there are certainly people that hated it for the reasons stated in that article. Just not everyone.

Is this a copypasta?

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
This is such a poor assessment of the situation. The alt-right youtubes aren't being propped up by some three-year old ongoing TLJ street brawl, least they wither and fade away; they're the ones sustaining the resentment with their drip feed of aggrievement. TLJ just happens to be their favored cudgel to bring out early and often.

Yes that's the point. They keep feeding it because it keeps driving engagement for their videos. It's a never ending feedback loop because people never get sick of relitigating the movie.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The bullying and all the other crazy bullshit that came with the film was just stupid. If you don't like a movie that's one thing, when you are harassing people over a movie you're a full blown asshole.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
No, I've said my piece on TLJ countless times here (most of us have, the conversation has been had to death). What got me to post in this thread was a poster suggesting that criticism of certain pieces of media should be bannable if that media was also being criticized by alt-righters, which is just ludicrous. We should be able to talk about the merits of things as they stand.

BTW, I did read about half of the OP's article. It's very long, way too much of an investment to put into an article which is trying to deflect criticism of what is, at the end of the day, a very bad film. Again, as I said, I agree that there's an element of chuds spewing out shit against the newest trilogy to suit their agenda. I've seen it myself on right-wing media, it's impossible to miss.

I am amazed you read half of an article article that talks primarily about the alt-right and gamergate, and yet you walked away with the conclusion that it is about trying to deflect / defend TLJ. I don't really think you read half the article at all, or if you did, you need to reread it to understand - not just so you can defend or cover yourself by saying you read part of it it.

This article is about how alt-right groups propped up anti-TLJ hate as a method for racism, misogyny and radicalization of people. As such, I don't think you actually read the article at all. It isn't about whether or not the movie is itself bad or good to an individual viewer, but poininting out the irrefutable fact that it is highly linked to such elements, how such elements at the alt-right weaponize technology to attack progressive ideals, and how it connects to previous instances of similar events such as Gamergate.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The nasty response to the film should be confronted.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
People coming in here saying that disliking TLJ doesn't make them a bad person or arguing about Star Wars are derailing the thread.

The article is about the intersection of nerd culture and the alt-right, leading to its ascendance. This article is only about you if you're someone that's been radicalized by social media, not about your opinion on TLJ.

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
I really didn't enjoy TLJ, nor did my entire group who I saw it with. A pretty bad night at the movies all round. But I have long suspected that it has been used as a radicalisation platfrom. I went looking for some scathing video-essays on it at the time, and pretty much all of them were 3 hour rants where the point seemed to be that Rose and Holdo's existence somehow ruined everything? Utter trash. The only good video on the subject is from D&D YouTuber Matt Colville.

I did have a formerly apolitical friend who was starting to fall down the Alt-Right pipeline, and this started just after TLJ was released. He's a big SW fan, and he hated the movie. I have often thought that watching these kind of reviews is what got him started. Fortunately with a lot of discussion and persuasion, he was brought back from the brink, but it was a close thing.

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
People coming in here saying that disliking TLJ doesn't make them a bad person or arguing about Star Wars are derailing the thread.

The article is about the intersection of nerd culture and the alt-right, leading to its ascendance. This article is only about you if you're someone that's been radicalized by social media, not about your opinion on TLJ.

I put it in big bold caps at the top of the thread.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
*thread on TLJ*
Poster: Here's my thesis on TLJ.
*thread about sexists trying to push out Kathleen Kennedy*
*thread about a white supremacist, misogynistic hate campaign in SW fandom*
*thread on a Darth Vader shaped cheeto*

I don't know how people have so much energy to talk about this shit at this point, outside of legit concerns like the way Finn and Rose/their actors were treated. I've had stuff I've disliked but I can't imagine giving it a thought years later, never mind bringing it up every fucking time it is remotely connected. I really think the mods need to get involved here, because it's ridiculous and distracting from serious topics.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017

Yup and we'll learn nothing and the eventual next big divisive thing in gaming/nerd culture will become another loudspeaker for hate while pundits enrich themselves off it all.
The only question is: what will they target next?

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
It kind of shows why the alt right latched onto this topic so hard. All you have to do is say the letters TLJ and people line up to relitigate it all over again. It requires very little of their energy to keep it going.

It it wasn't such a scary example of how well these tactics work it would be hilarious that people exhibiting a pavlovian hate/fear response to TLJ being mentioned in a vaguely positive context is part of the point of the article in how the alt-right exploit these things to radicalise people by bypassing rationality.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 85465

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2020
This thread just demonstrates a problem with the internet in general, the article is about how the alt-right are using media to radicalize people using the Last Jedi as a recent example, and how that in turn is changing what is the main topic leading general discussion on social media and how that is starting to change the way media is made (in this case the hate of the last jedi causing rise of skywalker).

But instead of posts about that, people are just arguing about the movie here, the article is not saying to stop talking about the movie or that people that dislike the movie for legitimate reasons are part of the problem.

What the article proposes is that by just not taking seriously/dismissing hateful content related to pop culture in youtube or social media in general, and by that I mean, not actually trying to solve that and instead just joking about it or treating it as "harmless" plus no education about how to engage with internet content, is what is making things worse.

But how do you solve that? content moderation in social media its in baby steps right now and the way content is presented favors simple/extreme ideas since it seems that what a great number of people only read is just the title of a post/article and not the content of it.

The whole way content is structured in the internet would need to change, maybe content moderation, requiring or making more accessible for the user to engage with the content, adding to basic education how to engage with the internet?

It would be better to discuss about how to solve the problem instead of arguing why the movie is good or not.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup and we'll learn nothing and the eventual next big divisive thing in gaming/nerd culture will become another loudspeaker for hate while pundits enrich themselves off it all.
The only question is: what will they target next?
If Superman is black in the next film then that's probably the next big blowup we're going to get, especially with how much some heavily vocal fringes of the fandom like the #ReleaseTheSnyderCut gang already intersects with the alt-right.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
My oldest is. Yes.

Not at all. I'm just saying people disliked it for various reason. Does not make them alt-right. It means they just didn't like the movie. Imo, it's the 3rd best SW right behind ESB & ANH.

Nobody is saying your son, or people who disliked TLJ in general, are alt-right though.

The thread is about how the discourse is influenced and used by the alt-right, and how we should be more mindful of the media that we consume.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Fan reviews of TLJ were very positive before alt right review bombing.

It's okay to dislike the movie, even if it's the best Star Wars film. It's also okay to admit the public discourse was shaped (and continues to be shaped) by foreign actors, white supremacists, and misogynistic assholes.
I always felt a good amount of people here felt a need to defend it because of the people attacking it.

I hated the movie for my own reasons, but I think people who left the movie unsatisfied or kinda eh were very very very easy marks for people to be fed bigoted ideology. If you see people also didn't like the movie, you click wanting to hear someone's opinion on it and instead are fed culture war bullshit.

In a place as progressive as ERA, even here people are split on the movie. But people here are generally smart enough to not fall into the bullshit and can recognize scapegoating marginalized people from a mile away. The same can't be said for the average person on youtube.

Really curious to read this article in full later.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I dont want to bother people, everything I said here has already been said in this thread.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am amazed you read half of an article article that talks primarily about the alt-right and gamergate, and yet you walked away with the conclusion that it is about trying to deflect / defend TLJ. I don't really think you read half the article at all, or if you did, you need to reread it to understand - not just so you can defend or cover yourself by saying you read part of it it.

This article is about how alt-right groups propped up anti-TLJ hate as a method for racism, misogyny and radicalization of people. As such, I don't think you actually read the article at all. It isn't about whether or not the movie is itself bad or good to an individual viewer, but poininting out the irrefutable fact that it is highly linked to such elements, how such elements at the alt-right weaponize technology to attack progressive ideals, and how it connects to previous instances of similar events such as Gamergate.

Yes, there's definitely elements of Gamergate and their descendants like the IDW that push the "culture war" narrative against films like The Last Jedi as a both recruitment tool and to manipulate public sentiment online (and YouTube algorithms help push this stuff too of course). It's obvious when looking at the bigger names like Ben Shapiro talk about Star Wars but it becomes more obfuscated when we're looking at more marginal and smaller outlets. I can appreciate the article taking and trying to quantify this and we can see how successful it was given that Tran's character is sidelined and Finn is largely sidelined as well in TRoS. At the same time we've seen other films with female or POC leads in major properties come out post-GamerGate, films like Mad Max: Fury Road, Black Panther, and Wonder Woman, and the alt-right has been much less successful in pushing the "culture war" narratives against these than with Star Wars, for reasons that I think are pretty apparent.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
once again i say, if your views in a movie are aligning with a bunch of racist, sexist pieces of shit, you shoul reconsider things.

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, there's definitely elements of Gamergate and their descendants like the IDW that push the "culture war" narrative against films like The Last Jedi as a both recruitment tool and to manipulate public sentiment online (and YouTube algorithms help push this stuff too of course). It's obvious when looking at the bigger names like Ben Shapiro talk about Star Wars but it becomes more obfuscated when we're looking at more marginal and smaller outlets. I can appreciate the article taking and trying to quantify this and we can see how successful it was given that Tran's character is sidelined and Finn is largely sidelined as well in TRoS. At the same time we've seen other films with female or POC leads in major properties come out post-GamerGate, films like Mad Max: Fury Road, Black Panther, and Wonder Woman, and the alt-right has been much less successful in pushing the "culture war" narratives against these than with Star Wars, for reasons that I think are pretty apparent.

Not so fast with this one as I clearly remember the poisonous discussions about this film on the Imdb forums. XD The alt-right wasn't really relevant regarding Hollywood in 2015, but sexist assholes were losing their minds over it and I remember the crazy hyperbolic takes about how it had ruined action movies forever. Expect the usual alt-right numbskulls to go all in when Miller release the Furiosa prequel to make up for lost time and also because they have to keep the grift going lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Q-anon, Cambridge Analytica, fake news, bots in every comment section & conversation, and youtube cesspools...

Our metrically-driven media, combined with platform holders who value engagement at almost any cost have been a recipe for disaster. Right-leaning interests have long figured out how to game those algorithms and we've seen the outcome of that manipulation across social media.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
And in the lead up to the release of the final film in the Skywalker saga, Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker, director JJ Abrams acknowledged the animosity towards the franchise's eighth installment by suggesting that fans didn't want to be told that what they love about Star Wars "doesn't matter."

Ah, there it is; today's daily reminder that JJ Abrams is the dumbest motherfucker.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Not so fast with this one as I clearly remember the poisonous discussions about this film on the Imdb forums. XD The alt-right wasn't really relevant regarding Hollywood in 2015, but sexist assholes were losing their minds over it and I remember the crazy hyperbolic takes about how it had ruined action movies forever. Expect the usual alt-right numbskulls to go all in when Miller release the Furiosa prequel to make up for lost time and also because they have to keep the grift going lol.
I literally saw the movie, despite having never watched or even heard about Mad Max and having thought the trailer looked dumb as hell, because of sexist assholes crying over Furiosa on the internet and wanted to help support what ruined their day lol.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
There was a metric fuckton of ire directed at all three of those films. ESPECIALLY Black Panther. And not just the overt racist BS but also the incredibly ridiculous ways that people think they're slick with lowkey racism. The second people saw Wakanda all of a sudden "believability" become a focal point of conversation. In a galaxy of genetically enhanced super soldiers, talking racoons, teenagers with superpowers, literal gods, and rocks that can alter the very fabric of reality, somehow ALL of that was "believable." But no. Wakanda was apparently the breaking point of "hey, this doesn't seem very realistic and believable" 🙄 To the shock of fucking nobody those same people had nothing to say about Dr. Strange and his society.

Rotten Tomatoes literally changed it's user review system as a result of films like Black Panther, that being that alt right goobers used as fuel for their culture war against progressives.

TCB

Oct 19, 2019
I read the article and I just wanted to chime in.

I've kept quiet about my own opinions on the movie, mainly because the conversation is so heated I don't want to engage with it. I don't say this because I feel the need to let everyone know, or defend my position, but I will openly say here that my genuine first impressions weren't good. I wasn't aware of the discourse surrounding it until much later, so I don't think those early impressions were influenced either. But disliking the movie also put me in a weird position, and I think it did for others as well.

The article basically confirms what I already suspected, that opinions on the movie weren't as divided 1:1 as a lot of people thought. That was a narrative that got picked up and gained momentum over time. That ratio also changes significantly in favor of those who liked it when you take away opinions coming from alt-right assholes.

This also means that while looking for validation, or talking points, or someone to clarify your feelings on the movie, its more likely that Youtube will recommend some of the more problematic channels mentioned in the article. I'd be lying if I said I didn't eventually end up watching some of those videos myself. In my defense I at least had the awareness to realize this early on because it became pretty apparent that a lot of the loudest critics were also people I would never agree with on any other issue.
However, its hard not to see their influence, or even their talking points, used in online discussion surrounding the movie. Even for myself, it's hard to parse through my own opinions to know where they are coming from.

Lately I've also been noticing that all of this has had an effect on the people in my life. Whenever a seemingly unimportant subject like Star Wars comes up, it evolves into a heated conversation about forced diversity, Anita Sarkeesian, SJWs, cancel culture, Antifa being terrorists, Black Lives Matter rioters, defending Donald Trump, etc. These are people who I have known for a long time, and in the past found that we agreed on political issues. Now there's this huge divide.

Really great article, thanks for the post.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
I spend the better part of two hours carefully reading and processing an amazing, chilling, concerning article and then I click through this thread and am just appalled at the low-effort troll posts and posts from people who did not read the article at all. I gotta learn to not let these few posts get to me, but man its hard. I'm just going to make liberal use of the report button today.

I think the thing for the that disturbs me the most is just how people can be willfully ignorant about feeding into these types of alt-right "culture war" tactics by just proclaiming their negative opinions of TLJ or whatever other media piece and leaving it at that. I think there definitely needs to be some introspection about whether its worth voicing your negative, legit criticism if said property is clearly being co-opted by an alt-right movement. Just engaging adds more fuel to the fire whether intended or not, and I don't think the average person (or very many people at all) are equipped to process that or understand how to navigate.

yalk_dx

Nov 3, 2020
once again i say, if your views in a movie are aligning with a bunch of racist, sexist pieces of shit, you shoul reconsider things.
what would there be to reconsider? i could see someone questioning where their views are coming from and if they're coming from a bigoted place either consciously or unconsciously. if you don't like a film because you cant stand that female characters get screentime, you most likely operate with sexist beliefs informing how you go into films with female characters (and life). if you don't like a film because you think the female characters in it were written in a harmful and irresponsible way or detest pandering male-gaze shots, you are less likely to be coming from a sexist point of view. both those people could share the views "x movie sucks, i don't like how it was written, don't give them your money for this". the major difference for them would be whether and how they go about evangelizing and weaponizing that opinion, as the sexist is clearly more likely to seek to harm with what they say than someone who genuinely doesn't appreciate what was done outside of the context of a culture war.

i saw TLJ in theaters when it came out, and i didn't really like it. i'm not a big star wars fan, and some of the major plot beats or jokes(space vegas and green milk) felt more corny or gag-ish than i was expecting or hoping. i had basically went in with little memory of the previous film and being heavily removed from the previous trilogies i had forgotten just how silly a lot of star wars is as a film property, but my favorite parts were the more dramatic, tense scenes and intense space battles. my minds eye vision going in was completely wrong, and i didn't enjoy myself that much, but it's a well acted, beautiful looking film with a great cast. anyone who asks me if i liked it is told "not really, but you just might" and i don't think people who enjoy it have been tricked into liking a bad film.

it surprised me to see that a lot of people saying they didn't like the film brought up things like tonal inconsistency, issues with plot beats, etc, but with reasoning born from a racist, sexist, and generally hateful base that often started off with "i didn't like it either". i don't hate it, i wouldn't put it on to watch for fun and i'd tell my friends there are better films to watch for their time around and i'd want to tell them what for and why, but didn't think it's a movie that needed constant public railing. at this point, that railing is so twisted up within the fabric of a fandom that saying "i didn't like this because i didn't like how it was written" at its face can be taken as a preamble to some seriously insidious shit unless there's a commitment and desire for good faith discussion which people can take advantage of.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Here's an analogy: They're like cannibals complaining about Food Network cooking shows.

People were trying to throw Bill Burr under a bus eons ago in goldfish years last week. Even on this forum, all it took was one misquoted article and it ran for a couple of pages.

Nerdrotic was gaining traction on YouTube's search ranking from "Bill Burr" searches. The rank was so high for a few days because of an influx of views over the misconstrued comment by Burr about Gina Carano.
Fuck has this got to do with Bill Burr being an asshole?

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
This is the dumbest thing I've probably read on this site. It's so horribly reductive of how the world works and the consumption of media that it has to be satire.
Agreed. It's like saying that you shouldnt say you don't like last of us 2 for the way black people are represented cause gamergate chuds also dont like it and did a lot of the same things that to it.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
In the thread about how White supremacy, misogyny using TLJ as fuel for their next grief, how Disney cave in, we have a bunch of posters

"BUT IT'S A BAD MOVIE THOUGH" for a hundred time

"I hate it but I'm not alt-right"

"But the movie is wrong for how it handle xyz character"

Man, some of you are real piece of works eh.

Appreciate the article, I will read it later because damn, the writer went deep.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I always felt a good amount of people here felt a need to defend it because of the people attacking it.

I hated the movie for my own reasons, but I think people who left the movie unsatisfied or kinda eh were very very very easy marks for people to be fed bigoted ideology. If you see people also didn't like the movie, you click wanting to hear someone's opinion on it and instead are fed culture war bullshit.

In a place as progressive as ERA, even here people are split on the movie. But people here are generally smart enough to not fall into the bullshit and can recognize scapegoating marginalized people from a mile away. The same can't be said for the average person on youtube.

We ran a poll on here and the feedback was positive. I think roughly 2/3 in favor. Sounds about right.

Those of us who love it...really love it.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela

I question your idea that people here are smart enough not to fall into the bullshit,

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When climate change causes the USA to collapse the two waring factions will be the religious sects of pro and anti Last Jedi - it will be the last argument had between the last two Americans.

Article: TLJ was used as a tool to attack minorities and women,

ERA: yeah, but it was a bad movie tho.
I don't know how to explain to people that you don't have to endlessly be on guard about your opinions of a movie. Agreeing that TLJ was exploited by bad actors to perpetuate a culture war does not mean that you liked TLJ as a movie. Agreeing Kelly Marie Tran went through completely undeserved bullshit for someone simply acting in a movie does not mean that you're a fan of Rose as a character.

People talk about TLJ like it's the first divisive film to ever come to existence and it's absolutely insane.