• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
It's not about justifying jedi abilities. It's about showing what powers are in play narratively before they are used during pivotal scenes. Otherwise people would have been happy with Snoke crushing the Raddus using the force out of the blue to end the chase right away. He's a space wizard, so of course he can do this. And we've seen them throw things with the force. I honestly wonder how many people on here would have defended something like that popping up in the movie as well. It's clear at this point that some would.

The fact that the author of the movie is posting tweets to justify jedi abilities in his script post-mortem adds a juicy layer of irony

Like the old saying in politics: if you're explaining. You're losing.

JJ said that R2 got that portion of the map from the first Death Star.

What scene was JJ in the TFA?!? Was he at the bar owned by anal eyes?

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
It's not about justifying jedi abilities. It's about showing what powers are in play narratively before they are used during pivotal scenes. Otherwise people would have been happy with Snoke crushing the Raddus using the force out of the blue to end the chase right away. He's a space wizard, so of course he can do this. And we've seen them throw things with the force. I honestly wonder how many people on here would have defended something like that popping up in the movie as well. It's clear at this point that some would.

The fact that the author of the movie is posting tweets to justify jedi abilities in his script post-mortem adds a juicy layer of irony
He's doing it because his social media pages are getting hammered by death threats from psychotic nerds

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
No one needed the Emperor's backstory, and the prequels should be a warning as to why "explaining" things isn't always necessary. Snoke is a powerhouse who controls the First Order; that's all that needs to be known. Rey's parents being nobody was a far more meaningful resolution than, "Everybody is related to everybody," since everybody liked to theorize she was somehow related to Luke or Han. And her reaction meant a lot more than any twist could have.

I would argue these are different. A new IP doesnt need to explain the backstory of everything, as a viewer you can just accept the state of the world as is. Any additional backstory on the Emperor is nice, but not necessary.

For the new trilogy, we now have a world state directly framed by the preceding events in the OT and beyond. Snoke is the major player shaping the state of the First Order and the opposition to Lukes Jedi training. Snoke is the lore source for the entire inciting event that kicks off the new trilogy and is primarily responsible for the over arching world setting. Having him come out of no where (and also existing during the entirety of the OT) with no explanation or story is sloppy.

The viewer is expected to question his origin and want answers to how we got from the end of the OT to the new Trilogy. This is not necessarily the case for the Emperor. The situations are completely different.

Oct 31, 2017
If you want to use stuff from the PT to defend TLJ, I'm not sure you'll get much agreement. Most people who dislike stuff about TLJ also loathe the PT. Just because the PT explanations made things worse, doesn't mean there weren't plausibly awesome ways to make the PT. I thought everyone agreed the PT is subpar at this point (seemingly even Disney)

You are correct that Luke using the Force pull in ESB didn't need explaining, and that Obi-Wan using the mind trick on the stormtroopers didn't need an explaniation. These were the explanations. They were not written as dramatic highpoints. The ESB scene opens the film to establish that Luke has grown stronger in the force. We know telekenisis is a force power from the prior movie (unless you assume Vader's choking is a mental thing...). In ANH, the jedi mind trick is part of our introduction to the force. There is no build up as to how the characters will get out of this jam, it's purely instructional. The emperor uses lightning without explanation, great! He should have an awesome power, he's Vader's boss, and we haven't seen what he's capable of yet! The lightning isn't used as a surprise or deus ex to wrap up a scene though. It's simply an obstacle which helps drive Vader and Luke's character arcs to a close. The emperor could've been choking Luke instead. Or melting his brain. The power used here is really not part of the story

Having said all that, you could nitpick those portions of the OT and insist that they needed to be better explained. It's your prerogative. This goes back to what I'm saying about different audiences wanting different amounts of telegraphing and buildup. Maybe you needed more from those scenes...

I thought the Luke projection was fantastic, I had no problem with it being used as it was the perfect way for his character arc to close. However, I can fully admit I had no idea Luke could do that. I realized something was up while he was fighting Kylo, and at that point I suspected maybe he was a ghost (this is the first place my mind went, not that he was projecting himself, but he's been dead all of this time). I noticed the missing footprints. Once it was revealed what happened, I post rationalized it with the stuff Kylo said about the force skype, and I was satisfied, but I can fully see how people would not come to the same conclusions

For one, the telegraphing. Yes, Kylo/Rey were able to communicate over a distance, but the scenes never show it as more than Jedi sensing one another and sensing one another's surroundings. Luke notices it's happening, but Luke is also a Jedi. We never see Kylo or Rey actually occupy space with one another, we never see them interact with objects that are not present (a la the dice), we never see non-force users aware of their presence. Thus it's easy to interpret the connection between Kylo/Rey as strictly mental. They see one another through the others mind's eye. They are aware of what the other is feeling. The two had some form of connection in TFA as well, so we think it's building on that. The we hear that this type of trick would kill Rey, and discover Snoke facilitated it. It's easy to see this as an extension of Luke communicating with Leia in ESB, or Obi-Wan feeling Aalderan's destruction in ANH.

Another point, wanting to surprise. The Luke pojection is clearly meant to be a surprise. Luke's power could easily be classified as Deus Ex Machina, and as with any Deus Ex Machina, it's not necessarily a bad thing (as it's used in a way to properly characterize Luke and tie up the movie's overall theme). What Luke does is definitely several orders of magnitude more impressive and out of left field than Kylo and Rey seeing one another's surroundings, particularly since he creates seemingly physical objects. If Rian wanted this to be an acceptable extension of the Kylo/Rey force communications, there are a number of things he wouldn't have included in the scene. The biggest being handing Leia the dice and kissing her. Yes, we can rationalize this. Maybe only jedi can touch the items, after all we know Leia uses the force, as does Kylo who also touches the dice. Probably Leia knew he was a projection the whole time. The thing is, the audience isn't expecting this. These explanations are more post-rationalization from the audience. If Rian wanted the audience to be able to guess what was going on, he wouldn't have included these curveballs. Yes he left other hints, like Luke using the broken saber, no foot prints, Luke looking different. But the whole moment is confusing, and whether or not you like it is going to come down to whether or not you want to be confused at the climax of the movie

I'm not going to say any of the following would have improved the movie, because whether or not this telegraphing needed to be done is entirely subjective, but here are some ideas that certainly would've changed people's perception of this scene without changing the plot, adding time to the film, changing the characters/themes, or (in my opinion) without dampening the surprise at the end:
Simply show Kylo having a bit more physicality when conversing with Rey. Have him appear in the hut, like Luke does later, rather than the cuts which indicate they are sensing one another's surroundings, not inhabiting them. Have him hand Rey something physical that disappears after their communication ends. Have one of those little frog things cleaning up outside the hut see Kylo through the window and freak out. Have Rey freak out and back away from him, thinking he's there. Have Rey appear physically on the Supremecy, and Hux notices and freaks out

These are some easy ways to hint that this power can be used later, without giving away that Luke will use it to such an extent. You may think it isn't necessary (as do I) but it sounds like it would've helped some enjoy the climax and I can totally see why. We can both see how establishing any bit of what Luke does earlier would make it less of a left turn when it happens. People like eureka moments when watching films, they like putting things together, it makes them feel smart. People don't like discovering they've been kept in the dark. It makes them feel duped

There are some things I agree with (I loved holographic Luke, as well), so let me go over the quibbles:

1) I didn't use the PT to defend TLJ; I even said straight from the post you mentioned that the PT is a great example as to why explaining things can lead to horrific consequences. I brought up the "lightning block" as an aside because g'damn, Obi-Wan and Yoda look like dicks, now. =P xD~~
2) Yes, the Emperor having a big power is cool. Force Pull is there simply as a plot device to get him out of a predicament. They are brought up for plot devices. Empire stops Obi-Wan? He can control their minds. Luke is trapped? Force Pull. Obi-Wan is dead? He can not only speak to Luke, but he can show himself and sit on things (as we see him sit near Luke in ROTJ). Luke is dangling in Cloud City? Speak to Leia telepathically. Emperor says he's unarmed? Lightning. This is Star Wars. This is what Star Wars does. It's okay and needs no exposition.
3) The moment with Luke projecting himself isn't confusing, but there's a tendency for people to want to feel smarter than the movie, which means if they don't understand something, the writing is bad. That leads me to:
4) The movie expertly telegraphs it. Many movies leave many clues as to future big twists, and a good movie will allow you to see what you missed in repeat viewings so you know the movie played fair.

The first or second time Kylo and Rey speak to one another, Kylo wipes away water from his forehead. Despite not being next to her, her surroundings affected him. They touch hands. Luke sees him despite his not being there. Luke is using a broken saber and leaves no footprints in the salt. Luke looks as Kylo remembers him, not as we just saw him. And if Obi-Wan can sit near Luke as a Force Ghost, I'm sure Luke can kiss strong-with-the-Force Leia.

Rian did an expert job leaving bread crumbs there. If you picked up on it, great. If not, the movie played fair with you the whole time. That's good writing.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I just wanted to add that I personally think Kylo as a villian works much better as the main villain for emotional purposes and as a parallel to Rey. I'm not upset Snoke is not the main bad guy. I'm just mad we don't know shit about him anyways. I've never heard of a film intentionally making a badly developed character to set up for no reason and then kill off without ever explaining a single thing about him.

MarkMcLovin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would argue these are different. A new IP doesnt need to explain the backstory of everything, as a viewer you can just accept the state of the world as is. Any additional backstory on the Emperor is nice, but not necessary.

For the new trilogy, we now have a world state directly framed by the preceding events in the OT and beyond. Snoke is the major player shaping the state of the First Order and the opposition to Lukes Jedi training. Snoke is the lore source for the entire inciting event that kicks off the new trilogy and is primarily responsible for the over arching world setting. Having him come out of no where (and also existing during the entirety of the OT) with no explanation or story is sloppy.

The viewer is expected to question his origin and want answers to how we got from the end of the OT to the new Trilogy. This is not necessarily the case for the Emperor. The situations are completely different.

Pretty much what I'm saying only I'm on mobile and can't be arsed.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
So, force users can shoot lightning out of their hands and people are concerned about a force projection?

Ok...

I have seen hardly any comolaints with Lukes force projection. Most complaints are with Leia surviving space and flying like superman. There is also the question of Yoda's ghost using Lightning. We have never seen a ghost use force powers and lightning is a power associated with the Sith.

Rian is playing fast and loose with the lore, so people are irked by it.

Oct 31, 2017

All this tells me is that if there's a blurb in Episode 9 about where Snoke came from, then everything's explained. For me, it doesn't matter. He's powerful and swayed Kylo Ren, who is the real bad guy and developed villain.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
I have seen hardly any comolaints with Lukes force projection. Most complaints are with Leia surviving space and flying like superman. There is also the question of Yoda's ghost using Lightning. We have never seen a ghost use force powers and lightning is a power associated with the Sith.

Lightning used as an attack is the Sith. Also, Obi-Wan is surely using the Force to help guide Luke against the Death Star.

The Leia thing is fine (as explained multiple times in this thread), it's the effects that are corny.

Oct 27, 2017
The prequel trilogy was planned in 1978. And ESB was titled Episode 5 so uh, yeah. It was.

Yeah was just going to edit my original post - the idea that prequels were planned/might come out was out there, but my main point is that people treated EP 4-6 as a self contained trilogy.

You were originally making the point that 'gaps' in the storytelling were ok if the author has signaled intent to fill them in later, but the Emperor's presence in the original trilogy is completely fine without explaining his history. The story is not about him, in the same way the story of the sequel trilogy is not about Snoke. Snoke's purpose in TLJ is to facilitate Kylo becoming an even greater threat to the heroes, and also helps Kylo crystallize his 'burn it all down' worldview.

Just because you are interested in Snoke's backstory doesn't mean it's actually important to the story that is being told.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

As far as I'm concerned the Force is just traditional fantasy magic in a sci-fi setting, and can be whatever it needs to be provided the user has trained under it.

Jedi or Sith abilities needing to be shown to us beforehand to justify their existence is silly, and limits the scope of the Force to spells out of a Dungeons and Dragons manual.

IMO Leia surviving in space just illustrates to the audience that she was strong in the Force (beyond sensitivity) this whole time and yet chose to become a different type of hero from Luke. Theres no further justification needed.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
All this tells me is that if there's a blurb in Episode 9 about where Snoke came from, then everything's explained. For me, it doesn't matter. He's powerful and swayed Kylo Ren, who is the real bad guy and developed villain.
Yeah Snoke is just an incredibly arrogant moustache twirler who doesn't really have any overarching aims or motive (basically like the Sith and the Emperor, in fact). Whereas Kylo actually has a motive and character depth.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Wait for it. IX will reveal that Snoke will be the lovechild of Rey and Kylo Ren, deformed because they're actual cousins and it's incest, and will travel back in time.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

I'm going to play devil's advocate here.... Technically, Yoda summons lightning from clouds. cause you know, "more powerful than you can possibly imagine." (TM)

I'm ok with yoda being the origins story of Odin, and by extension, Thor's father. But the scene was just hokey all around. BTW, expect a cross over from the SWU to the MCU. You heard it here first!

Luke's feat was pretty great. Many just didn't want him to die though.

I think for most fans he had to die. As is tradition of Jedi Masters.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rylo Ken: You can't use Force Projection to speak to me. The effort would kill you.
*Snoke used Force Projection to set up a 3-way conference call, and did it repeatedly*

Luke: I sure wish there was some way for me to not be useless, and that the writers hadn't written my X-Wing off as "broken" as part of an ESB-inspired fakeout.
*Luke finds Force Projection while flipping through the Jedi Texts"
Luke: A short lived illusion, that can kill the user in seconds? I can totally use this to buy loads of time for the Rebels to escape. I won't even need to tell Leia to hurry.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
We got 3 movies explaining his history and how he rose to be the emperor.

But that's the prequels, not important for the first 3 movies. The emperor is different from Snoke insofar that the emperor is crucial to Lukes quest to save his father. We didn't know what evil things Vader did in the OT, he was not a very friendly person, that's for sure. When he became Lukes father in the second movie and Luke started his campaign to bring him back from the dark side, that right there is where the emperor is validated as a character, he is the obstacle to overcome to rescue his fathers soul because the movie made it out as if Vader was under the emperors spell. The entire saga builds up to the showdown of these 3 characters and it ends with the emperors death, quest fullfilled... sort of.
Now in hindsight, Lukes quest for the soul of his father was a bit simple minded, it worked as long as we had to deal with mystic powers that are equivalent to magic, Vader was evil because the emperor made him evil via magic, kinda like that. That was before the prequel trilogy of course, I doubt there is much acceptance for Lukes plan left from the audience at this point.

The overall point is that the emperor works as the third element in the Luke Vader father/son rescue story, there was no need to know anything about the emperors background for that to work. What was neccessary was there! To save your father, kill the wizard that holds power over him!

Now let's compare that to Snoke, he was supposed to be the dude that turned Kylo/Ben, but Kylos relationship to Snoke was completely different. He was never under his spell, Snoke was more like an unlikeable teacher for Kylo, always telling him what to do and Kylo getting angry and showing no real respect to him. It was more like Kylo didn't like Snoke and didn't want to kill his father etc and the only thing that made him not outright kill Snoke was that Snoke was more powerful than him, but we had to guess that in TFA.
Then you introduce the temple incident with Luke, it isn't explained what part Snoke played in that incident, he wasn't even mentioned I believe. Perhaps the darkness Luke felt was Snoke in that moment, but the movie doesn't hint at that, so Snoke is not really important there.
There really isn't any purpose for Snoke existing at that point, he's just there telling Kylo to get rid of his past and get him Rey, until he gets killed.
If you do not use him for some interesting story that fleshes out Kylos or Reys background, then why introduce him in the first place? He should have been cut right there in TFA and just be mentioned in a conversation between Han and Rey or Leia "When Snoke deceived our son, Ben also killed Snoke".
Snoke was the leader of the first order too, we didin't need that to be the guy that compromised Han and Leias son, could have been anybody, wouldn't have made a difference. So now hes gone and the only thing he left behind are questions that wont be answered (I think)

The emperor didn't leave any questions when he died! He fullfilled his purpose, giving Luke the framework for Lukes character progression in 2 movies!

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rylo Ken: You can't use Force Projection to speak to me. The effort would kill you.
*Snoke used Force Projection to set up a 3-way conference call, and did it repeatedly*

Luke: I sure wish there was some way for me to not be useless, and that the writers hadn't written my X-Wing off as "broken" as part of an ESB-inspired fakeout.
Luke: A short lived illusion, that can kill the user in seconds? I can totally use this to buy loads of time for the Rebels to escape. I won't even need to tell Leia to hurry.

snoke didnt used force projection at all

and he did one time

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

I'm glad Rian Johnson is writing this movie's dialogue and not you.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, Rey's major conflict - I'd hesitate to even call it a flaw, but I guess that's how we're measuring the worth of characters - is that she believes her worth is tied to her parentage. She's a no one from nowhere. Part of why she's drawn to Kylo Ren is that he feels the same sense of rejection, and he values her intrinsically (or at least he says he does). Do I have to explain why this is misguided?

No, she did not get the best of Luke. She pulled a lightsaber in a stick fight. She didn't hit him, she didn't try to, and she couldn't have if she tried anyway.

Yes, she beat Kylo in the first film. I'm not retreading that territory for the thousandth fucking time since TFA. Kylo Ren is the better swordsman in TLJ. Watch the Praetorian fight and pay attention to how they cope with numbers. Kylo takes on three, Rey struggles with one.

Nobody is arguing under the premise that flaws are the sole measure of a character's worth, but I do feel that flaws in heroes make them more interesting because they become more human and relatable. It's why Marvel characters like Iron Man, Bruce Banner, Deadpool, Spider-Man, Batman, etc generally take off with audiences a little better than the more OP, basic hero archetypes like Superman.

Rey is far more Superman than any of the other aforementioned characters, and it feels like step backwards in some ways that the new Star Wars protagonist is all hero/badass aside from some sparse moments of being misguided by the seductive qualities of the dark side. There's nothing to explain, it's pretty clear cut, and when future Star Wars eventually (hopefully) feature more complex female heroes (as complex as a SW hero can be, at least lol) I think the point I've been making ITT will be revealed to have held up quite well. It's like she's essentially an unstoppable force prodigy from second one who unwaveringly stands for justice and her main conflict involves maintaining that while coming to terms with how awesome she is. *yawn*

Already reached an agreement on the Luke vs. Rey thing with my previous posts ITT. Moving on...

Regardless of how much Kylo has improved since TFA (and I still don't understand this argument because, manbaby tantrums aside, he's built up to be this intimidating high-ranking force user, apparently trained by BOTH the most powerful Jedi and most powerful villain in the galaxy), it's still puzzling af that someone with very little combat experience can go from 0 to "time to defeat some of the most powerful opponents in the galaxy with far more combat and force experience than me" in a matter of seconds. Puzzling and kinda boring. For now at least. I'm hoping there will be a plot twist in the third movie that recontextualizes her in a more interesting way, but we'll see.

Last edited:

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
How did DJ know about the cloaked transports? I can't recall any time where Poe told Finn about them being cloaked or Finn telling DJ about the transports. I'm sure DJ probably heard about the transports themselves by listening on Finn and Poe's conversation. But knowing they were cloaked?

I'm actually really curious about this. Not trying to start anything I just would like to know please!

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
How did DJ know about the cloaked transports? I can't recall any time where Poe told Finn about them being cloaked or Finn telling DJ about the transports. I'm sure DJ probably heard about the transports themselves by listening on Finn and Poe's conversation. But knowing they were cloaked?
There's a shot of DJ overhearing Poe tell Finn about the transports after he discovers Holdo's plan, I'm not sure if he added cloaked but I can't actually remember the transports being cloaked at all.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

I'm actually really curious about this. Not trying to start anything I just would like to know please!
There's a scene where Poe calls Finn and Rose to tell them about Holdo is doing and while he does this, there's a shot of DJ listening to their conversation. It's a quickie so a lot of people miss this on their first viewing.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
There's a shot of DJ overhearing Poe tell Finn about the transports after he discovers Holdo's plan, I'm not sure if he added cloaked.

There's a scene where Poe calls Finn and Rose to tell them about Holdo is doing and while he does this, there's a shot of DJ listening to their conversation. It's a quickie so a lot of people miss this on their first viewing.
Oh I mean I got that part for sure. But I'm just trying to remember if Poe even knew that they would be cloaked/invisible.

If transports are always cloaked no matter what then I'm totally okay with that. Or maybe they're just too small to be seen by a normal detector.

Oct 31, 2017
Oh I mean I got that part for sure. But I'm just trying to remember if Poe even knew that they would be cloaked/invisible.

If transports are always cloaked no matter what then I'm totally okay with that. Or maybe they're just too small to be seen by a normal detector.

I believe the last part is exactly the reasoning Leia gave to Poe about the transports.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're both wrong, in the sense that Luke didn't just disappear after San Tekka (Von Sydow in TFA) helped him find the first Jedi Temple (explaining why he has a fragment of the map), but Luke also left a key piece to R2 who was not supposed to awaken until a key moment when Luke would be desperately needed.

Yes, Luke wanted to be found if needed, and he went to Ahch-To to find the Jedi lore and...

He didn't even read it.

Just another /smh in the wonderful world of TLJ.

Yep. We just had this discussion in another thread where people were trying to argue against the idea that TFA presented Kuke as having a plan.

Which is exactly why you see Luke barely force pulling, and being trained in it, before Vader goes ham in The Empire Strikes back

Quote from George Lucas himself in 1978

"We were going to call it STAR WARS: EPISODE II — THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, but we ran into some problems. You see, although this story is a direct sequel to the first movie, we have three more stories that we eventually want to film that actually occur before the point where the first Star Wars begins. "

Except critics were still baffled by the non ending of ESB and no one knew that another trilogy was actually ever happening. We're you not alive before the prequels?

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deductive reasoning can explain that. If there are transports and you don't see them, they're likely cloaked.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
There are some things I agree with (I loved holographic Luke, as well), so let me go over the quibbles:

1) I didn't use the PT to defend TLJ; I even said straight from the post you mentioned that the PT is a great example as to why explaining things can lead to horrific consequences. I brought up the "lightning block" as an aside because g'damn, Obi-Wan and Yoda look like dicks, now. =P xD~~

well I was replying to this quote from your previous post: "None of this needs to be explained (as the prequels show, sometimes explanations are better left alone, otherwise Darth Vader invents C3PO) " I realize your injecting some much needed humor with the 3PO comment, but this point sounds dangerously like "nothing needs to be explained because it's been done poorly in the past" which seems like a sharp logical fallacy I wanted to nip in the bud. It does sound like you are saying the new stuff in TLJ does not need explaining and you are siting the prequels as a possible reason why. Concerning the lightning block, Luke had already given up and tossed his saber, so I'm not sure blocking lightning with a saber would have mattered. Luke's trump card was appealing to his father, and the Emperor torturing him allowed him to play it

2) Yes, the Emperor having a big power is cool. Force Pull is there simply as a plot device to get him out of a predicament. They are brought up for plot devices. Empire stops Obi-Wan? He can control their minds. Luke is trapped? Force Pull. Obi-Wan is dead? He can not only speak to Luke, but he can show himself and sit on things (as we see him sit near Luke in ROTJ). Luke is dangling in Cloud City? Speak to Leia telepathically. Emperor says he's unarmed? Lightning. This is Star Wars. This is what Star Wars does. It's okay and needs no exposition.

Force pull in ESB is not a plot device in that it is not there to move the plot forward. It's there to remind us that Luke has magic powers, as his powers and why he has them will be the focus of the movie. That's why this scene is right at the beginning. They could easily have had Luke's lightsaber on his belt if it was a plot device. The point of that scene in ESB is to prepare us for the direction Luke will take. The tension of Luke getting out of the cave is arbitrary and his confrontation with the Wampa has no bearing on the plot

3) The moment with Luke projecting himself isn't confusing, but there's a tendency for people to want to feel smarter than the movie, which means if they don't understand something, the writing is bad. That leads me to:
4) The movie expertly telegraphs it. Many movies leave many clues as to future big twists, and a good movie will allow you to see what you missed in repeat viewings so you know the movie played fair.

The "people wanting to outsmart the movie" argument is a strawman I see bandied around constantly in these threads. There's no basis for it. How is wanting to understand what is going on as it's happening during the movie the same as wanting to outsmart the movie. As I mentioned before, the scene is clearly written to surprise the audience that Luke isn't there. Yes there are hints he's a projection, but there are also hints that he's real that can't be ignored and those hints were kept in there deliberately.

I'm genuinely curious, when in the movie was it clear to you that Luke was a projection? At what point during your first viewing was it logical that you could have guessed what was going on? I can see how some would see it as confusing because Luke has the broken saber, because he had time to trim his hair, because he is physically interacting with Leia, because he had no way off the temple planet, because he survived the AT-AT canons, because he's not leaving footprints, because he's able to limbo dodge, etc.. etc.. All of this is pointing to something, but has the audience been given the tools to identify what? Are there red herrings included in the above? Identifying why some people found this confusing is not outsmarting the movie, it's showing empathy for the audience

The first or second time Kylo and Rey speak to one another, Kylo wipes away water from his forehead. Despite not being next to her, her surroundings affected him. They touch hands. Luke sees him despite his not being there. Luke is using a broken saber and leaves no footprints in the salt. Luke looks as Kylo remembers him, not as we just saw him. And if Obi-Wan can sit near Luke as a Force Ghost, I'm sure Luke can kiss strong-with-the-Force Leia.

Rian did an expert job leaving bread crumbs there. If you picked up on it, great. If not, the movie played fair with you the whole time. That's good writing.

I've only seen the movie once so I don't remember the extent to which the Kylo/Rey stuff showed physicality. I do remember my impression was that Luke was sensing that Kylo and Rey were talking, the same way Rey was sensing Kylo. Did they actually show Kylo walking around in the hut?

I maintain that Rian played his cards close to his chest with this, and that the telegraphing was muted. The evidence is in how heavily the script weighs left turns and surprises, and in the fact that the Luke projection is written to go above and beyond. IMHO, good writing is laying a foundation and not being afraid that a few people will figure out what is going on before the reveal. I maintain there's no reason to believe Luke is a projection until you've seen that whole scene once through. There's plenty of reason to believe something is "up" but we haven't been presented with the context to fully understand what that something is. I think being a bit more overt with it in the Kylo/Rey scenes would've done the climax some favors, assuming it was handled properly. Particularly with regards to having a non-force user see one of the telepresences, or having an object handed off at some point only to disappear. I think either of these scenes could have played well in the narrative as well, with Kylo's desire for the Anakin saber, or having Hux see Kylo with Rey and furthering Hux's distrust of Kylo

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But by using it, Luke was able to become legend for taking on a bunch of lazerz

"Galaxy awed by alledged return of Luke Skywalker after some people on a garbage freighter claim that he did some stuff"

"Take up arms to fight along side Legendary hero"

"Confused due to his absence"

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Galaxy awed by alledged return of Luke Skywalker after some people on a garbage freighter claim that he did some stuff"

"Take up arms to fight along side Legendary hero"

"Confused due to his absence"

"I'm afraid to fight against the First Order."

"Luke Skywalker faced a dozen walkers and Kylo Ren by himself."

"If Luke can stand up to them by himself, I can too."

Hence, the end of the movie.

It's not that hard.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"I'm afraid to fight against the First Order."

"Luke Skywalker faced a dozen walkers and Kylo Ren by himself."

"If Luke can stand up to them by himself, I can too."

Hence, the end of the movie.

It's not that hard.

Man they're in for a rude awakening when they find out he died because of it.

This isn't tiananmen square when a regular person standing in front of a tank inspires the everyman. It's not the Last Samurai where the Samurai defeat/genocide spurred the Emperor to push back against a tidal wave of cultural erosion.

This is a legendary hero and Jedi Master showing up and allegedly doing the impossible and surviving, against a present and ongoing threat.

Last edited:

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
As far as I'm concerned the Force is just traditional fantasy magic in a sci-fi setting, and can be whatever it needs to be provided the user has trained under it.

Jedi or Sith abilities needing to be shown to us beforehand to justify their existence is silly, and limits the scope of the Force to spells out of a Dungeons and Dragons manual.

IMO Leia surviving in space just illustrates to the audience that she was strong in the Force (beyond sensitivity) this whole time and yet chose to become a different type of hero from Luke. Theres no further justification needed.

While this interpretation is valid (and I agree, reducing the force to D&D spells is lame) there's a balance to be struck. The flip side of your argument is that there will never be any danger for any jedi if they can constantly pull new powers out of their back pocket when needed. Darth Maul got cut in half? He can use the force to stay alive until he gets spider legs (lol). Count Dooku got his hands cut off, no problem, he can force grow new ones. But can he regrow his head? maybe... Snoke can't catch the Raddus? No problem, he can use the force to shut off its engines. Or maybe he can force teleport onto the Raddus and start kicking ass. Why isn't anyone force teleporting yet? Why didn't Luke just force teleport to Crait, why did he bother with the projection? You can see how this is a slippery slope. The way to strike a balance is to telegraph. Don't use the force as a deus ex machina, as it is just begging to be used that way in the wrong hands. The OT was very careful about this

When you say "provided the user has trained under it" are you one of those who believes Rey is OP because she has not received any formal training yet she's able to take on Kylo and do all sorts of tricks? Do you find it odd that Leia was able to survive that bridge explosion despite giving no indication to the audience that she's been trained? Yest we can assume she trained under Luke of screen, but did her mastery of the force surprise and catch you off guard a little, the way it was presented?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This was absolutely not one of the biggest complaints about this movie. As someone who hated it and discusses the movie, ice barely seen anyone have an issue with this power. How about explaining why leia is now the most powerful person on the star wars cinematic universe.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also add in
AHA you thought Snoke was special but fuck you we ain't gonna explain his backstory cause hes dead now!
AHA you thought Rey's parents were special but they were nothing from the start!
AHA you thought Rey was going to "get" something from that evil hole but nothing happened!
The movie just felt like they wrote themselves in a corner with the first film and just said *fuck it* nothing matters who cares, I wouldn't have an issue if one or two things were overglossed but every single fucking thing didn't matter or just couldn't be fucked to bother explaining it.

This largely reflects my feelings on the movie. I enjoyed it and am hoping somehow that Episode IX will put it all together somehow, but many parts of TLJ were just annoying to watch.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean

He died on a faraway planet that like two people know how to reach, and he left behind no corpse. It's nearly impossible for anyone to know that he died

Considering that the Empire failed miserably at keeping the Emperors death a secret with the iron curtain, and Luke would be expected to be much more active as the Jedi Master Savior. I mean, ehhhhh.

I mean Kylo, the leader of the FO certainly knows.