• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I like that the hate a few fans have for TLJ has now fully evolved into a hate for any and all Star Wars concept. Having more fun watching this than fans of Zack Snyder react to the reception of the DC movies he was involved in.

Oct 25, 2017
Considering that the Empire failed miserably at keeping the Emperors death a secret with the iron curtain, and Luke would be expected to be much more active as the Jedi Master Savior. I mean, ehhhhh.

I mean Kylo, the leader of the FO certainly knows.

Does he? I don't recall anything to indicate that he died to anyone but the viewers.

Jack

Oct 25, 2017
Is he joking or?

Nobody complained as far as I'm aware. I mean I'd rather see Luke there in person, but yeah.

My complaint was the whole "Matrix" style camera dodge during that fight. Was cheese.

Rian pulling an EA with changing the narrative.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get what's so hard to believe about the whole thing.

Remember that episode of EVA where Shinji's sync ratio goes to like 300% and he disappears into the LCL? Dude was really feeling it.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The only time Force Lightning has been cool was in The Last Jedi.

No.

tumblr_n1m07k9t5l1r98lguo1_r2_250.gif

Oct 31, 2017
well I was replying to this quote from your previous post: "None of this needs to be explained (as the prequels show, sometimes explanations are better left alone, otherwise Darth Vader invents C3PO) " I realize your injecting some much needed humor with the 3PO comment, but this point sounds dangerously like "nothing needs to be explained because it's been done poorly in the past" which seems like a sharp logical fallacy I wanted to nip in the bud. It does sound like you are saying the new stuff in TLJ does not need explaining and you are siting the prequels as a possible reason why. Concerning the lightning block, Luke had already given up and tossed his saber, so I'm not sure blocking lightning with a saber would have mattered. Luke's trump card was appealing to his father, and the Emperor torturing him allowed him to play it

Force pull in ESB is not a plot device in that it is not there to move the plot forward. It's there to remind us that Luke has magic powers, as his powers and why he has them will be the focus of the movie. That's why this scene is right at the beginning. They could easily have had Luke's lightsaber on his belt if it was a plot device. The point of that scene in ESB is to prepare us for the direction Luke will take. The tension of Luke getting out of the cave is arbitrary and his confrontation with the Wampa has no bearing on the plot

The "people wanting to outsmart the movie" argument is a strawman I see bandied around constantly in these threads. There's no basis for it. How is wanting to understand what is going on as it's happening during the movie the same as wanting to outsmart the movie. As I mentioned before, the scene is clearly written to surprise the audience that Luke isn't there. Yes there are hints he's a projection, but there are also hints that he's real that can't be ignored and those hints were kept in there deliberately.

I'm genuinely curious, when in the movie was it clear to you that Luke was a projection? At what point during your first viewing was it logical that you could have guessed what was going on? I can see how some would see it as confusing because Luke has the broken saber, because he had time to trim his hair, because he is physically interacting with Leia, because he had no way off the temple planet, because he survived the AT-AT canons, because he's not leaving footprints, because he's able to limbo dodge, etc.. etc.. All of this is pointing to something, but has the audience been given the tools to identify what? Are there red herrings included in the above? Identifying why some people found this confusing is not outsmarting the movie, it's showing empathy for the audience

I've only seen the movie once so I don't remember the extent to which the Kylo/Rey stuff showed physicality. I do remember my impression was that Luke was sensing that Kylo and Rey were talking, the same way Rey was sensing Kylo. Did they actually show Kylo walking around in the hut?

I maintain that Rian played his cards close to his chest with this, and that the telegraphing was muted. The evidence is in how heavily the script weighs left turns and surprises, and in the fact that the Luke projection is written to go above and beyond. IMHO, good writing is laying a foundation and not being afraid that a few people will figure out what is going on before the reveal. I maintain there's no reason to believe Luke is a projection until you've seen that whole scene once through. There's plenty of reason to believe something is "up" but we haven't been presented with the context to fully understand what that something is. I think being a bit more overt with it in the Kylo/Rey scenes would've done the climax some favors, assuming it was handled properly. Particularly with regards to having a non-force user see one of the telepresences, or having an object handed off at some point only to disappear. I think either of these scenes could have played well in the narrative as well, with Kylo's desire for the Anakin saber, or having Hux see Kylo with Rey and furthering Hux's distrust of Kylo

I'm not going to quote all of this piece by piece because it'll look messy, so I'll respond point by point again:

1) He threw his saber down with no knowledge that it could save him. The prequels opened up an area where explaining how Anakin turned into Darth Vader opened up so many weird things later (Why doesn't Obi-Wan recognize R2D2? Why don't Yoda and Obi-Wan tell Luke how to defend himself against lightning, which they know the Emperor can use? Why are all these ensemble characters all of a sudden crucial characters who knew the OT characters?). Not to mention they
2) No, "people want to be smarter than the movie," is not a strawman; it's what people make money doing with shitty channels like CinemaSins. There is complete basis for it, and this is one point you're not going to convince me against. It's something I've seen for well over a decade now and it is one of the worst things people have used the internet for when trying to talk about movies.
3) You're creating arbitrary distinctions without a difference. The Force Pull in ESB is a plot device. He doesn't get out of his predicament without knowing how to do something we haven't seen established in previous films. The Lightning is a plot device. It gives the Emperor a power since he claimed he was unarmed as he begged Luke to strike him, and that power allows him to torture Luke in front of his father. Telepathically reaching Leia is a plot device. Premonitions over Han/Leia from light years away are a plot device. Luke's confrontation with the Wampa is completely relevant to the plot because the reason he's freezing and collapses is because he's been out there captured for a long time.
4) I realized Luke was a projection when the twist was shown, but I really have no idea what you're asking. We even had someone earlier in the thread who thought it was too obvious, so yes, it can be figured out. I'm not sure you're understanding my point, so here it is again:

"Rian did an expert job leaving bread crumbs there. If you picked up on it, great. If not, the movie played fair with you the whole time. That's good writing."

All of this makes sense on a rewatch for anyone who didn't see this coming because the movie puts the clues there. Kylo is so enraged that he doesn't realize that he's fighting someone using the light saber he saw was destroyed. Not only does the movie lay out that this will happen, but it uses it against the personality of the main villain.

The Last Jedi is basically set-up/payoff for days. It's why it's a fantastic movie.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think with Hux they clearly showed some dissent or distrust of Kylo after he allowed the Resistance to escape. To the point where not everyone might believe him if he were to say that Luke is dead.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marry poppins was the worse part, not the force projection. But yeah... said 100x times already.

Oct 26, 2017
Rylo Ken: You can't use Force Projection to speak to me. The effort would kill you.
*Snoke used Force Projection to set up a 3-way conference call, and did it repeatedly*

Luke: I sure wish there was some way for me to not be useless, and that the writers hadn't written my X-Wing off as "broken" as part of an ESB-inspired fakeout.
*Luke finds Force Projection while flipping through the Jedi Texts"
Luke: A short lived illusion, that can kill the user in seconds? I can totally use this to buy loads of time for the Rebels to escape. I won't even need to tell Leia to hurry.
Didn't Kylo Ren say that (or something like it) to Rey? She's inexperienced. Luke is not.

Regardless I didn't see it as him dying when he disappeared, just like Yoda and Obi-Wan didn't either. They get absorbed into the force but still retain their individuality.

Inferno

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
You're both wrong, in the sense that Luke didn't just disappear after San Tekka (Von Sydow in TFA) helped him find the first Jedi Temple (explaining why he has a fragment of the map), but Luke also left a key piece to R2 who was not supposed to awaken until a key moment when Luke would be desperately needed.

Yes, Luke wanted to be found if needed, and he went to Ahch-To to find the Jedi lore and...

He didn't even read it.

Just another /smh in the wonderful world of TLJ.

No, this isn't explained in the film, so I do understand the confusion, but R2's fragment of the map has nothing to do with Luke. He got it when he interfaced with the Death Star in ANH.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not going to quote all of this piece by piece because it'll look messy, so I'll respond point by point again:

1) He threw his saber down with no knowledge that it could save him. The prequels opened up an area where explaining how Anakin turned into Darth Vader opened up so many weird things later (Why doesn't Obi-Wan recognize R2D2? Why don't Yoda and Obi-Wan tell Luke how to defend himself against lightning, which they know the Emperor can use? Why are all these ensemble characters all of a sudden crucial characters who knew the OT characters?). Not to mention they

eh, we are reading this scene pretty differently. I see Luke throwing that saber because he's afraid of what he's just done to Vader. He doesn't want to go dark. At that point defending himself is no longer his prerogative. He has no idea what the emperor is capable of, but he's completely surrendering himself to him to walk the light path. Much like at the end of ESB, he chooses death over the dark side, and much like he surrenders himself to Vader on Endor

2) No, "people want to be smarter than the movie," is not a strawman; it's what people make money doing with shitty channels like CinemaSins. There is complete basis for it, and this is one point you're not going to convince me against. It's something I've seen for well over a decade now and it is one of the worst things people have used the internet for when trying to talk about movies.

I think there's a big difference between people wanting to be smarter than the movie and people wanting to able to understand the movie as it unfolds. You can't wave away all criticisms of a movie simply because CinemaSins exists. I do not watch CinemaSins and I saw plenty of issues in TLJ. I watched their TFA episode since you mentioned it here and had to turn it off after about two minutes as it was terrible. Many of the criticisms lobbied against TLJ are not this vapid. People are upset with how the movie turned out. Understanding where they're coming from can help make future movies better

TLJ most definitely prioritizes cheap surprises. We are focusing on the Luke projection because it's in the OP, but I jumped into this thread amidst a listing of other left turns the movie takes amongst three posters. And there are certainly more that weren't mentioned.

Another good example is when Finn and Rose are saved by BB-8 piloting an AT-ST. This same scenario plays out in ROTJ. However, in ROTJ we see Chewie and the ewoks commandeer the walker, we see them learn to pilot it and kick some ass. Later when Han and Leia are in a dire situation, that walker shows up. We feel the tension, but we know there's a chance it's our buds. The reveal is still relieving, we chuckle and wipe our brows

Imagine that scene if we never saw Chewie and the ewoks hop in that walker. A walker just shows up at the end and trains it's gun on Han. Surprise, it's Chewie! Now compare this to BB-8. We haven't seen BB-8 for awhile. We're getting a lot of close up shots of Finn, Rose, and Phasma. The situation sure is dire. Crazy blaster fire from off camera and chaos ensues. Oh, look, it's a walker stomping around shooting all the bad guys. And now the sides of it fall off so we can see it's BB-8...

This is the type of surprise that TLJ revels in. I can understand that has an appeal to some audience members. I can also understand that it is a turn off for others

3) You're creating arbitrary distinctions without a difference. The Force Pull in ESB is a plot device. He doesn't get out of his predicament without knowing how to do something we haven't seen established in previous films. The Lightning is a plot device. It gives the Emperor a power since he claimed he was unarmed as he begged Luke to strike him, and that power allows him to torture Luke in front of his father. Telepathically reaching Leia is a plot device. Premonitions over Han/Leia from light years away are a plot device. Luke's confrontation with the Wampa is completely relevant to the plot because the reason he's freezing and collapses is because he's been out there captured for a long time.

In this sense, everything is a plot device. My point is that there were a hundred and one ways for the writers to get Luke out of that situation. The reason he does the force pull is not because the plot needed him to. It is specifically to remind us that there is something different about Luke, as this is the 2nd entry in a new series and the force is underexplained as of yet

4) I realized Luke was a projection when the twist was shown, but I really have no idea what you're asking. We even had someone earlier in the thread who thought it was too obvious, so yes, it can be figured out. I'm not sure you're understanding my point, so here it is again:

"Rian did an expert job leaving bread crumbs there. If you picked up on it, great. If not, the movie played fair with you the whole time. That's good writing."

All of this makes sense on a rewatch for anyone who didn't see this coming because the movie puts the clues there. Kylo is so enraged that he doesn't realize that he's fighting someone using the light saber he saw was destroyed. Not only does the movie lay out that this will happen, but it uses it against the personality of the main villain.

The Last Jedi is basically set-up/payoff for days. It's why it's a fantastic movie.

And my point is that Rian did not do an expert job leaving breadcrumbs. I believe he left just enough hints to justify the twist in retrospect, but nothing more. I would call the job "passable". I believe an expert job would have tied more physicality into the force projection stuff between Kylo/Ren, but I also believe that Rain did not want to do this at the expense of dampening the twist. And do recall, this is a scene that I liked. This is all subjective. How much people wanted telegraphed depends on what they expect from a story. My point is simply that it's reasonable many people found the lack of establishment for this power unsatisfying, and the author seems to be proving that point by trying to tweet the existence of prior establishment. Rian should've stuck to his guns, digging up EU text to satisfy these people just affirms that something was missing

And of course everything makes sense on a rewatch. Once you know what's going on, you can rationalize anything in hindsight. BB-8 piloting that walker will also make sense on a rewatch, I guess. Good storytelling would have let the audience discover the mechanism as it unfolds. I'm not sure the majority of the audience had what they needed in this instance, despite the claims that some people in this thread thought it was too easy to figure out

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When you say "provided the user has trained under it" are you one of those who believes Rey is OP because she has not received any formal training yet she's able to take on Kylo and do all sorts of tricks? Do you find it odd that Leia was able to survive that bridge explosion despite giving no indication to the audience that she's been trained? Yest we can assume she trained under Luke of screen, but did her mastery of the force surprise and catch you off guard a little, the way it was presented?

It was a poor choice of words on my part. I was more getting at the idea that certain Jedi/Sith have had a much longer time with the Force, and present a more believable case for doing cool shit with it. Like, the Emperor could have done just about anything in RotJ and I'd have believed it because the dude practically looks ancient—he's had a long ass time with the Force to learn how it works—and visually it fits into the old master/wizard archetype. In your Snoke example, it might be ridiculous to see him stop a ship, but I'd atleast believe it more than, say Kylo.

In Rey's case I think there's room for raw talent, which (IMO) Anakin, Luke, and Rey are all great examples of: Force-wielders who are strong in the Force, but aren't properly trained in yet so their abilities are still rough around the edges. Leia falls into the same category, though again I think shes had a lot longer to tune into the Force, even if shes not formally trained.

Oct 27, 2017
saw it for the 2nd time today. I loved it the first time and it was even better the second. It's amazing how many little things I missed that I caught in this viewing that made me like the movie more. I gotta say, it's visually my favorite SW movie. The cinematography is so well thought out i.e. angles, depth, colors. I noticed the score much more this time and it's beautiful. The scenes with Luke and Yoda and Luke and Leia are very touching. The scenes with Kylo and Rey are very powerful. The throne scene is up there for best in the series' history. What really became apparent to me was how Kylo, after being admonished by Snoke and destroying his mask in the elevator, decided to put in action the plan to kill Snoke using Rey. He concocted the whole thing just to get her to come to him so Snoke would be distracted. The way Kylo was able to hide his true intentions with the turning saber was so well done. The first time I saw it I didn't notice that while the saber was turning on the arm rest Kylo was also turning his own saber which helped sell the illusion to Snoke.

I now completely understand why they handed Johnson a standalone trilogy. He really delivered. The Last Jedi is my 3rd favorite SW movie in the franchise just behind ANH and ESB. Johnson has carte blanche as far as I'm concerned. What's disappointing is that my two best friends that are SW nerds like me absolutely hate it and refuse to see it a second time. Mostly because they think Luke was character assassinated which I completely disagree with them on. It's too bad because I think they, and others, might appreciate it more on 2nd viewing. Even the Canto Bight scene wasn't as bad as I remembered. It's actually broken up with other scenes so it didn't seem as long and you can definitely see the growing bond Finn and Rose were beginning to have.

Oct 31, 2017
Just gotta say I agree wholeheartedly with your posts in this thread and that line specifically. I saw the movie after hearing all the hate and spoilers, expected to hate it and ended up floored. The excellent set-ups and pay-offs are what really made the movie for me.

And you're not the only one confused about the hate, either. Glad you enjoyed it! As many people I know did, watching it more times just increases your appreciation for the film. =)

saw it for the 2nd time today. I loved it the first time and it was even better the second. It's amazing how many little things I missed that I caught in this viewing that made me like the movie more.

See? Like this guy. ;)

eh, we are reading this scene pretty differently. I see Luke throwing that saber because he's afraid of what he's just done to Vader. He doesn't want to go dark. At that point defending himself is no longer his prerogative. He has no idea what the emperor is capable of, but he's completely surrendering himself to him to walk the light path. Much like at the end of ESB, he chooses death over the dark side, and much like he surrenders himself to Vader on Endor

I think there's a big difference between people wanting to be smarter than the movie and people wanting to able to understand the movie as it unfolds. You can't wave away all criticisms of a movie simply because CinemaSins exists. I do not watch CinemaSins and I saw plenty of issues in TLJ. I watched their TFA episode since you mentioned it here and had to turn it off after about two minutes as it was terrible. Many of the criticisms lobbied against TLJ are not this vapid. People are upset with how the movie turned out. Understanding where they're coming from can help make future movies better

TLJ most definitely prioritizes cheap surprises. We are focusing on the Luke projection because it's in the OP, but I jumped into this thread amidst a listing of other left turns the movie takes amongst three posters. And there are certainly more that weren't mentioned.

Another good example is when Finn and Rose are saved by BB-8 piloting an AT-ST. This same scenario plays out in ROTJ. However, in ROTJ we see Chewie and the ewoks commandeer the walker, we see them learn to pilot it and kick some ass. Later when Han and Leia are in a dire situation, that walker shows up. We feel the tension, but we know there's a chance it's our buds. The reveal is still relieving, we chuckle and wipe our brows

Imagine that scene if we never saw Chewie and the ewoks hop in that walker. A walker just shows up at the end and trains it's gun on Han. Surprise, it's Chewie! Now compare this to BB-8. We haven't seen BB-8 for awhile. We're getting a lot of close up shots of Finn, Rose, and Phasma. The situation sure is dire. Crazy blaster fire from off camera and chaos ensues. Oh, look, it's a walker stomping around shooting all the bad guys. And now the sides of it fall off so we can see it's BB-8...

This is the type of surprise that TLJ revels in. I can understand that has an appeal to some audience members. I can also understand that it is a turn off for others

In this sense, everything is a plot device. My point is that there were a hundred and one ways for the writers to get Luke out of that situation. The reason he does the force pull is not because the plot needed him to. It is specifically to remind us that there is something different about Luke, as this is the 2nd entry in a new series and the force is underexplained as of yet

And my point is that Rian did not do an expert job leaving breadcrumbs. I believe he left just enough hints to justify the twist in retrospect, but nothing more. I would call the job "passable". I believe an expert job would have tied more physicality into the force projection stuff between Kylo/Ren, but I also believe that Rain did not want to do this at the expense of dampening the twist. And do recall, this is a scene that I liked. This is all subjective. How much people wanted telegraphed depends on what they expect from a story. My point is simply that it's reasonable many people found the lack of establishment for this power unsatisfying, and the author seems to be proving that point by trying to tweet the existence of prior establishment. Rian should've stuck to his guns, digging up EU text to satisfy these people just affirms that something was missing

And of course everyghint makes sense on a rewatch. Once you know what's going on, you can rationalize anything in hindsight. BB-8 piloting that walker will also make sense on a rewatch, I guess. Good storytelling would have let the audience discover the mechanism as it unfolds. I'm not sure the majority of the audience had what they needed in this instance, despite the claims that some people in this thread thought it was too easy to figure out

Holy moly, there's so much wrong with this entire post, and I don't really don't feel like going point-for-point again, but this part struck me the most:

"And of course everyghint makes sense on a rewatch. Once you know what's going on, you can rationalize anything in hindsight."

This is totally wrong and really makes me call into question if you really know as much as you're trying to project. A good movie will make sense on a rewatch. A bad movie will become more confusing on a rewatch or expose more shortcomings. The concept of a twist seems to be eluding you completely for whatever reason, but the movie doesn't just "passably" leave bread crumbs about the big twist at the end -- it expertly does. It's why everything that was put into the movie had a purpose, everything about force projection was explained without needing to use endless exposition. And so once you watch it again, you don't have to rationalize a thing. Instead, you see that the movie was playing fair the entire time. See the guy I quoted above. A good movie will do that. A bad movie requires rationalizing. Why are you conflating the two?

It seems like you're just handwaving everything I'm saying, so I feel if I try to elaborate further, it'll fall on deaf ears.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
It was a poor choice of words on my part. I was more getting at the idea that certain Jedi/Sith have had a much longer time with the Force, and present a more believable case for doing cool shit with it. Like, the Emperor could have done just about anything in RotJ and I'd have believed it because the dude practically looks ancient—he's had a long ass time with the Force to learn how it works—and visually it fits into the old master/wizard archetype. In your Snoke example, it might be ridiculous to see him stop a ship, but I'd atleast believe it more than, say Kylo.

In Rey's case I think there's room for raw talent, which (IMO) Anakin, Luke, and Rey are all great examples of: Force-wielders who are strong in the Force, but aren't properly trained in yet so their abilities are still rough around the edges. Leia falls into the same category, though again I think shes had a lot longer to tune into the Force, even if shes not formally trained.

And for the most part I agree with you. I feel Rey's victory over Kylo was sensible, and for the most part I feel her development has been earned. I see her as having raw power but needing help being able to control it

But based off your last paragraph, I think you are also seeing where there are some blurry lines here. Where we don't want to limit force use to D&D spells and power levels, but we also need a distinction between who can do what to prevent chaos. I.e. it makes more sense for Snoke to shut off those engines than Kylo. Perhaps you can understand now why some people may have found the Leia scene a bit of a bridge to far? Perhaps they would say something similar, i.e. "I'd have believed it if Snoke did it"

These distinctions all come back to writing, telegraphing, and characterization. We can like the movie, but we can also see how maybe adding in some indication that Leia has some kind of powers (or even filming this in a less extreme way) may have eased the believability for those who need a bit more convincing

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
"The legendary jedi Luke Skywalker just got his ass handed to him by the First Order."

"Pretty inspirational. Lets join the resistance"
They just saw him getting blasted by hundreds of missles and then did this:
DjH5bfx.gif

And then the whole reason they were there, to kill the rest of the Resistance, was ruined because Luke pissed off their leader.

Tesseract

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
also projection luke is a representation of the cleaner and looks like younger hyphen looking luke that trained kylo.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
also projection luke is a representation of the cleaner and looks like younger hyphen looking luke that trained kylo.
I really liked how everyone is framed and directed to make you feel something is off but you really can't know because, really, who's going to guess that he's Force projecting himself? The fact that you never see him fly there, just appears from a doorway made out of light, the younger look, him just walking out there in front of all those ATATs and the lightsaber.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
Holy moly, there's so much wrong with this entire post, and I don't really don't feel like going point-for-point again, but this part struck me the most:

"And of course everyghint makes sense on a rewatch. Once you know what's going on, you can rationalize anything in hindsight."

This is totally wrong and really makes me call into question if you really know as much as you're trying to project. A good movie will make sense on a rewatch. A bad movie will become more confusing on a rewatch or expose more shortcomings. The concept of a twist seems to be eluding you completely for whatever reason, but the movie doesn't just "passably" leave bread crumbs about the big twist at the end -- it expertly does. It's why everything that was put into the movie had a purpose, everything about force projection was explained without needing to use endless exposition. And so once you watch it again, you don't have to rationalize a thing. Instead, you see that the movie was playing fair the entire time. See the guy I quoted above. A good movie will do that. A bad movie requires rationalizing. Why are you conflating the two?

It seems like you're just handwaving everything I'm saying, so I feel if I try to elaborate further, it'll fall on deaf ears.

Not trying to handwave. As I mentioned, I put two and two together when the twist was revealed. I connected it to the Rey/Kylo scenes. I even connected Luke's death to Kylo's comment about "this would kill you" to Rey. Thus, I understand what you are referring to concerning bread crumbs. I'm just not agreeing, and I don't think we will agree. I see that clues were left in the movie that will make sense on a second viewing, and who knows, maybe my opinion will change on a second viewing. I also see that what Luke does goes well beyond what we see from Rey/Kylo, and that red herrings such as the dice were included to throw people off. I think mixed messages are sent, but these are my thoughts, you don't have to agree. Much like mixed messages were sent about Rey's parentage, and the result is a number of people are disappointed (Note, I am not one of those people, I loved the Rey's parents reveal, I am merely curious in understanding why some people are upset by these twists and I think the clues are in how they are built up). I do not think people's criticisms of these items are disengenious

I think enough people are complaining about this that it got to the author, so he felt the need to use outside sources to prop up his decisions. I see this as a bit of an admission that the people complaining this final twist blindsided them may have had a point. It doesn't ruin the scene for me in any way. I still think it was a great way to send Luke off, and I suspect most of the people complaining about it were actually more unhappy with the way Luke ended than with the power and the twist. But I also see how this reveal would have blindsided the audience in a way that many may have been unhappy about

Oct 31, 2017
Not trying to handwave. As I mentioned, I put two and two together when the twist was revealed. I connected it to the Rey/Kylo scenes. I even connected Luke's death to Kylo's comment about "this would kill you" to Rey. Thus, I understand what you are referring to concerning bread crumbs. I'm just not agreeing, and I don't think we will agree. I see that clues were left in the movie that will make sense on a second viewing, and who knows, maybe my opinion will change on a second viewing. I also see that what Luke does goes well beyond what we see from Rey/Kylo, and that red herrings such as the dice were included to throw people off. I think mixed messages are sent, but these are my thoughts, you don't have to agree. Much like mixed messages were sent about Rey's parentage, and the result is a number of people are disappointed (Note, I am not one of those people, I loved the Rey's parents reveal, I am merely curious in understanding why some people are upset by these twists and I think the clues are in how they are built up). I do not think people's criticisms of these items are disengenious

I think enough people are complaining about this that it got to the author, so he felt the need to use outside sources to prop up his decisions. I see this as a bit of an admission that the people complaining this final twist blindsided them may have had a point. It doesn't ruin the scene for me in any way. I still think it was a great way to send Luke off, and I suspect most of the people complaining about it were actually more unhappy with the way Luke ended than with the power and the twist. But I also see how this reveal would have blindsided the audience in a way that many may have been unhappy about

No, I see it as him having fun with people who are lambasting a decision about a new technique, and I can't think of a better way to do that than to let them dig in for a month before revealing that it already existed in Star Wars lore (not that it mattered as EU also made up Force techniques). Using comical gifs to explain it and even posting pics of him pulling the book out and opening it are big clues to that.

Oct 28, 2017
If Luke shows up in the flesh and takes all that blaster fire from the Walkers then that breaks the SW force rules more than the Holdo maneuever in my opinion. That is an escalation of force powers that poses all kinds of problems dramatically. RJ exercised restraint in introducing these new powers and I applaud him for that.

Last edited:

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
Did you sleep through what happens right after?

I guess pissing off the bad guy with anger issues counts as a victory.
Some real low quality trolling again.

- Deprived Kylo the chance to kill him
- Deprived Kylo the full victory he hoped to get
- Humiliated Kylo Ren in front of the First Order
- Bought time for Leia and co. to leave
- Managed to die without Kylo or the First Order ever figuring it out.

Sounds like a victory, pyhrric maybe but it's still an underdog victory.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
When i was watching the fight part of me was thinking luke was already a force ghost.
I think I actually would have liked that more but I can see why some people wouldnt.

XAL

Oct 27, 2017
No one nitpicked that part of the film.

And isn't that book part of "Legends" anyways?

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People wondered why the Projection skill was even used if the end result would be the same of he showed up on Crait in person.

This is mostly what i wondered

Cause the whole point was for Luke to distract Kylo and the New Order long enough for the evacuation of the trapped resistance.

Regardless of the powers of Luke at the time (who lets face it...stopped connecting with the force for years)..he couldn't garauntee to survive long enough as a real life corporal distraction. By being a controllable, unkillable projection..he can ensure to endure as long as is needed.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
Leia force-pulled herself? I assumed Kylo scooted her in based on the scene with him prior to the bridge getting blown up.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
No, I see it as him having fun with people who are lambasting a decision about a new technique, and I can't think of a better way to do that than to let them dig in for a month before revealing that it already existed in Star Wars lore (not that it mattered as EU also made up Force techniques). Using comical gifs to explain it and even posting pics of him pulling the book out and opening it are big clues to that.

In which case he's trolling, which doesn't surprise me considering the script for TLJ