• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking with BANG Showbiz, Johnson was asked about his future in the Star Wars franchise. He remarked that Lucasfilm is in the process of "figuring out what they're doing" and he'd "be thrilled if it happens." The operative word there is "if," which makes it sound like the trilogy isn't actually a go at this point in time. Watch the video in the space below:

It is also highly important to keep in mind this is by no means confirmation Johnson's trilogy is dead. As he says in the interview, he's still talking with Lucasfilm about it, so the studio has some level of interest in pursuing it.

But, since Lucasfilm has yet to formally unveil their post-Rise of Skywalker lineup, there's a chance Johnson is just playing coy until he can be more open about his next Star Wars movie.

More at: https://screenrant.com/rian-johnson-star-wars-trilogy-update-future-lucasfilm/

Be what they grow beyond if old

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought he was still making a trilogy along with D&D? It was just pushed back tho? Unless I am mistaken. I feel like the schedule and plans for Star Wars movies change every other month

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm betting the biggest question is if he'll be writing/directing the whole trilogy, or if he'll just full control of the first (and maybe third) movie.

But also Lucas Film doesn't seem to understand how to pace it's own brand, so maybe Solo scared them.

Oct 27, 2017
I predict a lot of very nice positive comments in this thread.

I for one would be devastated if his trilogy is dead. Especially to make way for D&Ds thing.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would both a) love to see Rian doing more Star Wars and b) love to see him free of franchises and able to do more original work, so really, I'm happy either way.

BennyBeGoode

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
I thought he was still making a trilogy along with D&D? It was just pushed back tho? Unless I am mistaken. I feel like the schedule and plans for Star Wars movies change every other month
The D&D trilogy is scheduled and ends in 2027, but Johnsons trilogy isn't part of the Disney slate. If the Johnson trilogy is not produced/released along the other trilogy, then we have to wait over a decade to see his films (which I doubt)

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
His trilogy was one of the things I was most looking forward to. Legit hope it pulls through.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Lucasfilm is dialing back their investment in TOO MUCH STAR WARS after Iger's comments from earlier in the year about oversaturating the market with Star Wars content.

I don't think it has anything to do with TLJ, just that...there's too much Star Wars and Disney is starting to realize that maybe they've committed to too many things at once.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Guess Disney wants to see how Mandalorian and Obi Wan does first and maybe experimenting tv to movie continuity like MCU planned on doing.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Will be very sad if it doesn't happen. Lucasfilm probably waiting to see how The Mandalorian and Rise of Skywalker do so they can decide how many resources to put into TV vs Movies.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
If seems sensible to me, if they are going to do his trilogy they have to be sure and commit to it, i would have thought it would be the same for any major project like that.

wyndhamprice

Oct 27, 2017
He's been giving the same response the last few months. It's not like he can actually confirm anything either way, so it must be a little annoying to keep being asked.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Just based on Rogue One's troubles, Solo's changes late in production and Episode 9 changing directors it was never something to be confident about.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I would have much rather had him make his own trilogy instead of the middle chapter in a separate trilogy. I would like to see it, so I hope he gets the chance.

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Confident words were replaced by IF. I can't wait to see that day he gets fired.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well if it doesn't happen it's good to know that to get your way in life all you got to do is complain and for some harass others over a fucking space wizard movie franchise.

But don't worry guys, we got the D&D series to look forward to.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yea that doesn't sound good. Despite my issues with TLJ, I still very much want him to take a crack at his own trilogy.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So you're saying there is a chance it will not happen? That's the best RJ-related news I've heard in a while now! Almost everything wrong with TLJ, I blame on Rian's stubbornness not to use any conventions whatsoever. I could not be excited for his movie trilogy.

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
He single-handedly ruined the entire Star Wars saga (at least for me) for how he portrayed Luke Skywalker in TLJ.

I don't want him anywhere near Star Wars ever again.