• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
I didn't like TLJ but I'm interested to see what he can do with his own trilogy away from the Skywalkers. Hope it happens

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
His non SW movies have been infinitely better. Hopefully for my own personal satisfaction they kill his trilogy. It also didnt help that his SW movie was complete crap.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping both are pulled, I'd rather RIan do other stuff and I definitely do not want to watch anything from D&D.

Didn't D&D get some huge netflix deal? That would seem to kill any Star Wars deal, I can't imagine the mouse happy about any of their big name project people working on a huge deal for netflix.

Oct 26, 2017
Not surprised---Disney seems to be re-thinking their whole Star Wars strategy. I don't think it says much about Rian one way or the other, or even their opinion on The Last Jedi.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Drive-by Trolling
tenor.gif

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yea that doesn't sound good. Despite my issues with TLJ, I still very much want him to take a crack at his own trilogy.
Pretty much my take. My opinion of TLJ has only grown more sour over time, but I still like his other work and I think his "style" would really benefit from him having creative control over his own trilogy.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Depending on which one of the trilogies was already slated for release in the coming years it does make sense to kill the other. Realistically only one of those is gonna be happening when we already have a Disney+ show coming too and they've become aware that they put out too much too fast.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
looks like it's on hold then. Expected. D&D probably is going to be the focus, they don't need more movies than that with recent comments from Iger about pushing too many movies out.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Hope it does. I'm ready to move on from the Skywalker saga and all the baggage that comes with it.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see it happening as much as I want it to, LucasFilm seems to be heading in a more safe area with Feige coming on (which is understandable considering they "tried" working with auteurs like Lord and Miller and ended up firing them, Gareth Edwards needed reshoots for Rogue One to work, etc.). I wonder if D&D will do a trilogy or just stick to the one movie, considering how much of a pariah both of them are these days.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Would u be saying the same thing if D&D were fired?

Yes, because at the end of the day I think it's a stupid thing to constantly complain about.

Am I looking forward to their films? Not really, but I'm not going to bring it up in every post in every thread where they're the focus like some people do with Rian.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Given how much Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm as a whole loved working with Rian, he'll get his trilogy.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see it happening as much as I want it to, LucasFilm seems to be heading in a more safe area with Feige coming on (which is understandable considering they "tried" working with auteurs like Lord and Miller and ended up firing them, Gareth Edwards needed reshoots for Rogue One to work, etc.). I wonder if D&D will do a trilogy or just stick to the one movie, considering how much of a pariah both of them are these days.
Ron Howard bout to direct every SW movie.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

every fucking movie needed reshoots, so i dont know why the single out Edwards

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I hope he gets his Trilogy. TLJ was the most exciting Star Wars in a while, so I'd love to see a whole series he controls.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I love TLJ (second favorite of the series behind ROTJ, obviously I like the more wacky humor and nutty fantasy concepts the most) so would be thrilled to see him get another shot, but most of all it is very puzzling seeing how Star Wars planning under disney has been so haphazard. Retcons, director changes, mystery, weird spinoffs..... not exactly MCU levels of organization here

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Disney is just waiting to see how well TROS does, especially internationally, before they commit to anymore films.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I assume Disney is waiting to see just how much money Episode IX rakes in to determine if they jump right into another SWs trilogy or put those plans on ice for a year or two.

They can always fall back on all of the TV shows they are making in the SWs universe to keep interest high in future films.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They need to cancel all movies and just let SW lay low for a while. See how the shows work out and go from there.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I remember the same confidence from Neil Blomkamp about his Alien project when it first came out and eventually having less and less confidence in the project happening before finally being put to rest.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
well, the director in qustion could be under NDA and shit like that, son only time will tell

NDA would not stop him from selling his film to the press and generating good publicity. It's only supposed to stop people from going Josh Trank and shitting on a film. That he's saying "if" at all speaks volumes. It means Disney hasn't fully committed yet to his trilogy.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember the same confidence from Neil Blomkamp about his Alien project when it first came out and eventually having less and less confidence in the project happening before finally being put to rest.

Feels like you're projecting a bit. Blomkamp has had more failed projects than completed movies. Rian has...never had a failed project.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought he was still making a trilogy along with D&D? It was just pushed back tho? Unless I am mistaken. I feel like the schedule and plans for Star Wars movies change every other month

If the schedule we saw is any indication, as in one movie each in 2022/2024/2026, Rian Johnson probably wouldn't start production on his own Star Wars movies until 2025. That'd give him a few years to work on a trilogy releasing in 2028/2030/2032.

So I wouldn't say it's dead, just that nobody is going to have anything set in stone that ain't happening for half a dozen years. There's just no point making plans that far ahead. Disney will presumably get back to him in like four or five years to discuss Johnson's movies, but right now they're obviously more focused on whatever it is D&D is cooking up.