• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

anbokr

Oct 25, 2017
TLJ really did lasting damage to the Star Wars franchise and the new characters for whatever reason aren't resonating like the old. It's clear from the poor reception at Disney parks and the backlash of TLJ so this isn't surprising in the least.

Disney probably hoping to get 9 out the door and then move on with a Feige run Lucasfilm. He's co-producing an upcoming Star Wars movie and rumor is he's going to take over Lucasfilm in the future.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The uncertainty and mixed signals of whether or not Rian Johnson is getting his trilogy or not makes me glad that D&D got their trilogy first. If the situation was reversed, I'd be quite unpleased if RJ got a trilogy and the GoT guys didn't.

i think some random the last jedi hater had a monkey paw: no rian trilogy, get d&d trilogy instead.
I think that would be me, except I'm quite happy with D&D getting one :p

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
TLJ really did lasting damage to the Star Wars franchise and the new characters for whatever reason aren't resonating like the old. It's clear from the poor reception at Disney parks and the backlash of TLJ so this isn't surprising in the least.

Disney probably hoping to get 9 out the door and then move on with a Feige run Lucasfilm. He's co-producing an upcoming Star Wars movie and rumor is he's going to take over Lucasfilm in the future.
Lol.. I know which youtube vids you have been watching.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Would he be able to do that? I'd think running the MCU was a full time job.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Feels like you're projecting a bit. Blomkamp has had more failed projects than completed movies. Rian has...never had a failed project.
How do you even know this when tons of failed projects he might have had never make it out to public? I was just noting the drop in confidence and like.. this is a completely normal thing and nothing that happens only to him.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He single-handedly ruined the entire Star Wars saga (at least for me) for how he portrayed Luke Skywalker in TLJ.

I don't want him anywhere near Star Wars ever again.

Yeah he really screwed Luke up but I wouldn't say he killed Star Wars in doing so. It's just one of those things that didn't work. I can respect trying to do something unexpected with Luke but it was definitely the wrong direction to take him nonetheless, kinda like that big twist ending in MGS5. Sometimes you take creative risks and sometimes it doesn't pan out.

If anything, The Last Jedi being so... flawed a Star Wars movie might end up doing the trilogy as a whole a lot of good since Abrams has clearly been forced to think outside the box in order to bring us something worth getting excited about.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah he really screwed Luke up but I wouldn't say he killed Star Wars in doing so. It's just one of those things that didn't work. I can respect trying to do something unexpected with Luke but it was definitely the wrong direction to take him nonetheless, kinda like that big twist ending in MGS5. Sometimes you take creative risks and sometimes it doesn't pan out.

If anything, The Last Jedi being so... flawed a Star Wars movie might end up doing the trilogy as a whole a lot of good since Abrams has clearly been forced to think outside the box in order to bring us something worth getting excited about.

Bringing back Sheev and Wedge's actor doesn't say outside the box thinking to me. It screams "let's cram in as much fanservice as possible to placate the angry nerds"

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
Really it all depends on what happens with Rise of Skywalker. You can tell SOLO (and to a greater effect TLJ) derailed their initial plans for Star Wars.

Ive seen people here suggest that they leave the Movies as Large tentpole events and a lot of the extra world building would be done on the Disney+ platforms.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lucasfilm clearly disagrees with this opinion thought considering they fired Colin Trevorrow over him wanting to resurrect Luke in Episode IX

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do you even know this when tons of failed projects he might have had never make it out to public? I was just noting the drop in confidence and like.. this is a completely normal thing and nothing that happens only to him.

Just saying that comparing him to Blomkamp is somewhat disingenuous since Blomkamp is very well known for serially attaching himself to projects that eventually get canceled.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Disney is trying to figure out wtf to even do with Star Wars movies since random character spin offs didnt work and shifting everything around

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I'm good with him doing a trilogy. Seeing what he could do with the universe when not shackled with making part 2 of a three parter would be nice.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bringing back Sheev and Wedge's actor doesn't say outside the box thinking to me. It screams "let's cram in as much fanservice as possible to placate the angry nerds"

Well it is thinking outside the box, regardless of your opinion.

Bringing Palpatine back isn't the usual answer to "how do I make a totally ineffectual antagonist like the First Order actually scary?" and you can guarantee it was never the original plan.

It's much more likely that Ben was s'posed to kill Snoke in a shocking scene that established him as a far greater threat, but that didn't really work out when it was filmed. Instead Ben and the First Order constantly made fools of themselves, so nobody was ever going to take them seriously.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
This would be incredibly disappointing if we lose out on RJ's trilogy.

I'm honestly more concerned about how Disney has seemingly slammed on an emergency break for future Star Wars movies in general - it feels like a hard overreaction to Solo imo.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Solo shook them so bad they never saw it coming. They really should've had a plan b, but I guess a Star Wars film actually bombing was inconceivable to them...
Which is the oddest thing imaginable. Like, I really liked TLJ (it's my second favourite SW film), but I had no intentions whatsoever of seeing Solo, I only saw it because it was a lazy afternoon in the summer and I was still on-campus, so might as well. I don't think anyone except Larry Krasdan and George Lucas actually gave a shit about the movie, and LF should've seen that coming a mile away even before they released TFA (yeah, yeah, I know it was the only way George and later KK were able to get Krasdan onboard for another trilogy, but still).

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still waiting (and hoping) for official confirmation.

That said, this would be the least shocking news ever. Between the incredibly devisive reception to TLJ, Disney cutting back on the number of movies after Solo bombed and Lucas talking about new films and not the RIan trilogy - yeah, the writing is pretty much on the wall.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how you can follow Star Wars, read interviews with Lucasfilm/Iger that are always posted on here and conclude that the Last Jedi damaged Star Wars.

Also this whole thing sounds fishy.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking insane how huge their overreaction has been.

It's not just that Solo lost them a fuckton of money (I've heard $200 million thrown around) it's that it showed a clear pattern of SW films doing far less in international markets, ESPECIALLY Asian markets where the SW brand doesn't have built in nostalgia. That probably more than the actual money lost is what scared them shitless.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I heard Kathleen Kennedy is getting fired. Any minute now. This time for real. I've heard that from my irrefutable sources.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Which is the oddest thing imaginable. Like, I really liked TLJ (it's my second favourite SW film), but I had no intentions whatsoever of seeing Solo, I only saw it because it was a lazy afternoon in the summer and I was still on-campus, so might as well. I don't think anyone except Larry Krasdan and George Lucas actually gave a shit about the movie, and LF should've seen that coming a mile away even before they released TFA (yeah, yeah, I know it was the only way George and later KK were able to get Krasdan onboard for another trilogy, but still).

honestly if it wanst for lord and miller, solo wouldnt be such a "bomb" because the budged wouldnt skyrocketed by the howard's reshoots

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's not just that Solo lost them a fuckton of money (I've heard $200 million thrown around) it's that it showed a clear pattern of SW films doing far less in international markets, ESPECIALLY Asian markets where the SW brand doesn't have built in nostalgia. That probably more than the actual money lost is what scared them shitless.
It wasn't bad enough to justify what they've doing now. Not even close

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Multiple people have personally guaranteed me this will still happen

It mightve said it in the other thread. But if Kevin Feige's Star Wars picks up steam quicker than either of the planned trilogies then I expect at least one' them to be cancelled

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who thought it was a sure thing, im thrilled to read he may not get a call from Lucasfilm afterall. David Fincher,lets do this, time for a face paced sharp pingpong dialogue between driods and machines. Im in.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who has seen TLJ and season 8 of Game of Thrones and would rather have D&D make Star Wars movies than Jonhson lives in a reality so far away from the one I live in that I can't even imagine what sort of eldritch creature inhabit it.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just as a summary, films that are not Solo, OS totals:

TFA $1,131,561,399
R1 $523,879,949
TLJ $712,358,507

Yeah, some markets were horrid in particular areas, but they were still doing fine OS overall.