• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I have misgivings with TLJ, I would rather have SW films by Rian Johnson than D&D, if those are the choices on the table.

D&D need to be kept as far away from SW -- and professional screenwriting/directing in general -- as possible. Especially when Disney ostensibly commits itself to diversification, considering D&D's misogynistic, homophobic, and racist track record on Game of Thrones.

Really, them being hired in the first place proves Disney's hiring process amounts to a shallow popularity contest.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever my dislike for TLJ, I don't think it's a huge stretch to say that D&D are worse than Rian Johnson based on D&D's callous disregard for GoT alone. Rian Johnson is easily the preferable choice here.

I'd prefer somebody like Chad Stahelski or David Leitch over either of them.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever my dislike for TLJ, I don't think it's a huge stretch to say that D&D are worse than Rian Johnson based on D&D's callous disregard for GoT alone. Rian Johnson is easily the preferable choice here.

I'd prefer somebody like Chad Stahelski or David Leitch over either of them.

Yes why is this the choice, it's goddamn Disney and Star Wars. Cast a wider net ffs

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I'll take his trilogy over D&D things, if he is not in charge of the script.
I am convinced he has the talent to bring to life a well written story.

His take on the second parter still had its following in the US, despite what i consider a poor script -i didn't like the movie, but it's not the matter-, with an estimated 3 million blurays sold so far, 31th, just behind Harry Potter Deathly hallows 1. It's slowly climbing its way towards the 3.1 millions of Rogue One.
TFA is estimated at ~6 millions (5th in the all time best sellers, behind Frozen, Avatar, Despicable Me 2, 2002 Beauty and the Beast), but has been out for longer (though the bigger leg is the earlier), it's the most sold StarWars bluray.

source, Nash Information Services, sales counted starting 2009, based on big sampling:

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Oooh yeah I'd definitely be excited to see that happen.
I'm pretty sure he's said something along the lines that he wants Dune to be his Star Wars, which isn't surprising since George Lucas took as much from Frank Herbert as he did Flash Gordon and Kurosawa Akira (albeit not to the degrees that 40k did, which is pretty much just Dune with the serial numbers filed off mixed with LotR).

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I'd love to see a Johnson trilogy, it would be nice to have a well thought out story in advance that they can build up to. I know the original trilogy wasn't as planned in advance as many make out, but generally Lucas did have a rough idea. With the newest trilogy it does feel quite slapdash (but the two films so far have actually been enjoyable in their own right).

A planned arc, executed well, by passionate and talented individuals like Johnson would be a wonder to behold. I'm nervous about the GoT guys Star Wars.. I hope that have a good story and characters because I trust them to execute good looking films, just don't trust their writing when not using someone else's source material.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Kevin Feige's film isn't an "If" if you asked him to his face

Theres a shift going on over Disney regarding to Star Wars and I dont know why people refuse to see it. People getting fired, films getting cancelled, plans being pushed back...

That said I attribute most of this to Solo's epic bomb but the immature ass fanbase is playing a part. I hate Star Wars and am glad to see it burn.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Kevin Feige's film isn't an "If" if you asked him to his face

Theres a shift going on over Disney regarding to Star Wars and I dont know why people refuse to see it. People getting fired, films getting cancelled, plans being pushed back...

That said I attribute most of this to Solo's epic bomb but the immature ass fanbase is playing a part. I hate Star Wars and am glad to see it burn.

hey that's mean, my uncle was a star war

datbapple

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Good, I thought the last jedi was boring and no where near as engaging as something like knives out or looper (even though the last act fell apart). I have loved him as a director since Brick and I rather he stick to doing his own thing with his own material.

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you think Rian Johnson is a horrible director, you don't understand a single element of film making.
You can't answer like that just because I don't like your guy. So... rian is still a horrible director, I don't care anything about tomatoes and I understand every element of what you're talking about unnecessarily.

Last edited:

Belmont

Oct 27, 2017
I really disliked TLJ but I would have been curious to see what Rian could have done with a fresh slate. I think the backlash against TLJ and the complete failure of Solo has them spooked. I think they want to see how RoS is received to see if that was all just a fluke or if there's been lasting damage to the brand. If RoS isn't received well I think they may consider Rian too toxic to continue involvement with the brand and may just want to restart with someone fresh. However, RoS's success or failure really rests on JJ's shoulders but I haven't been too impressed with what I've heard so far (assuming leaks pan out).

I really feel the failures of the sequel trilogy lie at Lucasfilm's feet for not having any coherent vision for the series and just winging the whole thing. Whatever George Lucas' other faults, he had a vision for the original series (that changed from time to time), that overall panned out. I think there was a compelling underlying plot for the prequels that was ultimately sabotaged by Lucas' pride in being unable to see his own limitations as a director and scriptwriter. I feel the original trilogy was just serendipity with everything coming together at the right time with the right people and it's going to be difficult to recapture that magic.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Writing was on the wall with Disney saying they made too many SW movies too fast. Also Feige getting his own movie meant something had to be let go.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You can't answer like that just because I don't like your guy. So... rian is still a horrible director, I don't care anything about tomatoes and I understand every element of what you're talking about unnecessarily.
Rian is a phenomenal director. If you don't care for what he does that doesn't really speak to his talent.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It has seemed absolutely insane to me that they have been talking about two different trilogies being planned. They need to take a couple of years off after Rise. Just let Star Wars live in Disney+ for a little bit.

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rian Johnson being a good director is a statement of fact.
Nope. I'm saying rian is a horrible director. And of course one of the reasons is he screwed up Star Wars. You can't force that to accept it. There are differences of opinion in the world.

Rian is a phenomenal director. If you don't care for what he does that doesn't really speak to his talent.
What I wrote above applies to you.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I hope he gets his Trilogy.
If all the Disney SW film. Released this far, I feel like TLJ will be the one that will be talked about most positively in retrospect. I really liked TFA but especially Luke's arc in TLJ is the best thing in SW since a very long time.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
That's what you took "fired" in the context of Johnson not being able to make specific movies within a specific series by a specific studio to mean?

I mean, I've seen the sentiment "Fuck Rian Johnson, I hope he never makes another movie" or something similar expressed multiple times in these types of threads. At this point I'm not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt.

Nope. I'm saying rian is a horrible director. And of course one of the reasons is he screwed up Star Wars. You can't force that to accept it. There are differences of opinion in the world.

That's fine, you're allowed to be wrong and ridiculous as much as you want.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
5772.jpg

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even good directors make bad movies. He even made some of the best Breaking Bad episodes and also the worst one.

I feel like you're suggesting that Fly was not top notch. And even then, I feel like you're implying that it was somehow Rian, the director's, fault that you didn't like it.

Say what you will about Fly, he directed the hell out of it.