• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Both of his films are horrible and of course he's a bad director for me. And I can say that freely whenever I want.

We're cool now.

They're not horrible films.

Objectively, they're both competently made, coherent, visually clear and well made films. Quality is subjective, but to imply those films are technically bad is asinine. And you can say whatever you want, but if you want to talk to other grown ups it helps not to talk absolute bollocks and double down on it.

So no, he's not a bad director. By any metric.

But I'm sorry he dared try to destroy your franchise about space wizards. My condolences to your childhood, which Rian has clearly destroyed in the process of making the Star Wars film he wanted to make.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Finally the world makes sense and a director doesnt suddenly get gifted a whole trilogy of movies to work on immediately after he finishes his very first one, and that's before it was even released.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both of his films are horrible and of course he's a bad director for me. And I can say that whenever I want. It's the simplest thing in the entire world.

We're cool now.

"I tried sushi, and I didn't like it, so of course Japanese food is terrible and I can say that whenever I want."

you're free to say a thing, doesn't mean it's not objectively silly.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
As shit as it was, season 8 of GoT made bank for HBO. Money is all Disney sees when they hired them.
D&D were hired for Star Wars in between S7 and 8. I think their hire goes beyond just making money though.

Lucasfilm went on a spree of hiring filmmakers they thought were up-and-coming interesting choices: Rian Johnson, Josh Trank, Lord and Miller. JJ Abrams was the go-to steady Hollywood hand would pass the baton to this next crop of filmmakers. Except guys like Trank and Lord & Miller couldn't cut it. The former developed a reputation as an erratic, and the latter duo apparently fell way behind schedule. So Lucasfilm started looking for stability. Ron Howard was another steady hand who could reliably reshoot Solo and still deliver it on time. Then Lucasfilm went to D&D because these guys just proved over the past decade how deft they are at managing a massive film production and doing it successfully. Same reason Rian was given a new trilogy to work on: because unlike Edwards or Trank or Lord and Miller, he delivered his movie on time, on budget, with no issues.

It's also a PR issue. There was a ton of negative press about Solo long before it released, all about the chaotic production. So having a director like JJ and Rian or a producer like Feige and D&D, who have experience keeping big productions like these under control, helps ensure there will be fewer "things are running amok on the set of the latest Star Wars" stories being written about one of Disney's biggest IP.

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I tried sushi, and I didn't like it, so of course that Japanese food is terrible for me and I can say that whenever I want."

you're free to say a thing.
Fixed. And that's what I'm doing already.

tumblr_inline_mu4h8nqhND1r0daw1.gif

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
D&D were hired for Star Wars in between S7 and 8. I think their hire goes beyond just making money though.

Lucasfilm went on a spree of hiring filmmakers they thought were up-and-coming interesting choices: Rian Johnson, Josh Trank, Lord and Miller. JJ Abrams was the go-to steady Hollywood hand would pass the baton to this next crop of filmmakers. Except guys like Trank and Lord & Miller couldn't cut it. The former developed a reputation as an erratic, and the latter duo apparently fell way behind schedule. So Lucasfilm started looking for stability. Ron Howard was another steady hand who could reliably reshoot Solo and still deliver it on time. Then Lucasfilm went to D&D because these guys just proved over the past decade how deft they are at managing a massive film production and doing it successfully. Same reason Rian was given a new trilogy to work on: because unlike Edwards or Trank or Lord and Miller, he delivered his movie on time, on budget, with no issues.

It's also a PR issue. There was a ton of negative press about Solo long before it released, all about the chaotic production. So having a director like JJ and Rian or a producer like Feige and D&D, who have experience keeping big productions like these under control, helps ensure there will be fewer "things are running amok on the set of the latest Star Wars" stories being written about one of Disney's biggest IP.

this post makes too much sense,

we should ignore and ask for kathy to be fired

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
In a previous thread I argued that the D&D trilogy and Feige's project meant that Rian Johnson's project was likely dead in the water or at the very least pushed back. I take for granted that Feige's project will be a success and get sequels so I believe that the D&D trilogy would have to bomb for Rian Johnson to get a second chance. That said, calling him a bad director is ridiculous. He may have arguably been a bad fit for the second movie in a trilogy but he is very clearly a capable director and writer.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SMH at them possibly firing the best thing that happened to Star Wars since the OG trilogy.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
People called me crazy when I said his trilogy wouldn't be coming until 2028 at the earliest (if at all) with the current Disney schedule.
But ages ago they scheduled the biannual swaps between D&D Star Wars and Avatar films until 2027.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
SMH at them possibly firing the best thing that happened to Star Wars since the OG trilogy.
TLJ was literally the most over convoluted "war" that Star Wars has ever had, and it makes no fucking god damn sense in the overarching Star Wars plot. "OMG we are being chased" is the entire fucking main plot line. Get the fuck over it, people don't like TLJ because it's tone deaf to everything that made Star Wars special. This stupid revisionist bs about making TLJ the second coming of Christ is going to look so hilarious a decade down the line when it'll be remembered as a total chore to watch and overall unimportant blip in the radar.

Last edited:

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TLJ was literally the most over convoluted "war" that Star Wars has ever had, and it makes no fucking god damn sense in the overarching Star Wars plot. "OMG we are being chased" is the entire fucking main plot line. Get the fuck over it, people don't like TLJ because it's tone deaf to everything that made Star Wars special. If you think TLJ is the best thing since the OG trilogy then you probably never really cared about Star Wars in the first place. This stupid revisionist bs about making TLJ the second coming of Christ is going to look so hilarious a decade down the line when it'll be remembered as a total chore to watch and overall unimportant blip in the radar.

Damn, you sound as dense as all of the vocal TLJ haters.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
TLJ was literally the most over convoluted "war" that Star Wars has ever had, and it makes no fucking god damn sense in the overarching Star Wars plot. "OMG we are being chased" is the entire fucking main plot line. Get the fuck over it, people don't like TLJ because it's tone deaf to everything that made Star Wars special. If you think TLJ is the best thing since the OG trilogy then you probably never really cared about Star Wars in the first place. This stupid revisionist bs about making TLJ the second coming of Christ is going to look so hilarious a decade down the line when it'll be remembered as a total chore to watch and overall unimportant blip in the radar.
Imagine being this angry because people like a movie.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Kevin Feige's film isn't an "If" if you asked him to his face

Theres a shift going on over Disney regarding to Star Wars and I dont know why people refuse to see it. People getting fired, films getting cancelled, plans being pushed back...

That said I attribute most of this to Solo's epic bomb but the immature ass fanbase is playing a part. I hate Star Wars and am glad to see it burn.

Because that would be admitting that the movies that would "save" Star Wars aren't doing so hot with current audiences, and that there's an apathy that's been setting in more and more because said movies do nothing but retread old ground

We can't have that. Can we?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Theres a shift going on over Disney regarding to Star Wars and I dont know why people refuse to see it. People getting fired, films getting cancelled, plans being pushed back...

That said I attribute most of this to Solo's epic bomb but the immature ass fanbase is playing a part. I hate Star Wars and am glad to see it burn.

I think you giving the angry fanboys FAR FAR more power and influence than they actually have...

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Because that would be admitting that the movies that would "save" Star Wars aren't doing so hot with current audiences, and that there's an apathy that's been setting in more and more because said movies do nothing but retread old ground

We can't have that. Can we?
Solo is only movie that flopped so far. 3/4 were critically acclaimed and boxoffice hits. These are facts tho.

We will see how TROS does, I am betting 1.4, 1.5 bil.

edit: the last theatrical movie before TFA, was TCW animated movie lol. TFA absolutely revived the brand.

Oct 27, 2017
These are the things I currently don't understand about post-acquisition Star Wars:
- Why the opening crawls were taken out of non-"saga" films - those crawls were the entry portals to the SW universe, and by the time one was done crawling you knew you had taken your first steps towards a larger world
- Why the bringing in for a landing of Rogue One's story seemingly wasn't agreed upon before filming
- Why Solo was moved up and ushered in without a commitment to a series of "underworld" media
- Why the star wars show has been more of an infomercial than an enthusiast/insider look at the franchise, of late
- Why Favreau was made a Disney legend before Filoni
- Why announce that Feige will be doing Star Wars, and further why announcing deals with people who already had/have deals, as if to say risk-taking on other up-and-comers is not palatable

You know, the sequel trilogy seems to be dealing a lot with people running from things. But with all this, is Disney themselves running away from anything here?

It's not retreading old ground, either. Videogames retread old ground like crazy, and get lauded for it. So do movies, particularly period pieces of various decades and centuries.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Apparently one bomb = "audiences don't like Disney SW movies"

Despite them being critically acclaimed and averaging over a billion per film, even including Solo.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Solo is only movie that flopped so far. 3/4 were critically acclaimed and boxoffice hits. These are facts tho.

We will see how TROS does, I am betting 1.4, 1.5 bil.

edit: the last theatrical movie before TFA, was TCW animated movie lol. TFA absolutely revived the brand.

Don't know about you, but 1.5 bil for the end of the "Skywalker Saga" is very worrying. This "event" movie should clear 2B easily. It won't.

Oct 31, 2017

I agree with this. Where there's smoke there's fire and there's something going over there. A shake up. My theory is that KK is retiring after her contract is up in 2021 (whether "forced" or not) and Feige is gonna oversee both SW and Marvel. Of course he'll have his lieutenants on each side, but he'll be the puppetmaster. As such, nothing is safe and pieces can and will move. Feige will do it his way as he has done it at Marvel. If my theory is true I think RJ's trilogy is gone. Dude is a good director and Ozymandias is still one of my favorite TV episodes ever, but his name is divisive among the fanbase to say the least. He can still direct some episodes for a SW show though.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree with this. Where there's smoke there's fire and there's something going over there. A shake up. My theory is that KK is retiring after her contract is up in 2021 (whether "forced" or not) and Feige is gonna oversee both SW and Marvel. Of course he'll have his lieutenants on each side, but he'll be the puppetmaster. As such, nothing is safe and pieces can and will move. Feige will do it his way as he has done it at Marvel. If my theory is true I think RJ's trilogy is gone. Dude is a good director and Ozymandias is still one of my favorite TV episodes ever, but his name is divisive among the fanbase to say the least. He can still direct some episodes for a SW show though.

didnt KK contract renewed this year or something?

oh her contract was extended to 2021 last year.

Oct 31, 2017
Don't know about you, but 1.5 bil for the end of the "Skywalker Saga" is very worrying. This "event" movie should clear 2B easily. It won't.

Countries outside of countries that had a mature market when ANH came out (NA, UK, France, Germany, Japan) do not have an affinity and nostalgia towards SW. BO numbers for SW in Asia and Latin America are especially bad. I think 1.5-1.7B is probably where TROS will land.

Can Feige fix this? I don't know. It's a tall order especially after the name has become synonymous with sucks over there. We do know that cosmic and space movies can do well like that horrible Chinese flick that did 600MM in China. I also read somewhere that Feige's first love is Star Wars, then Star Trek, then Marvel and DC. That bodes well for EU and Legends being integrated in the canon storyline.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Countries outside of countries that had a mature market when ANH came out (NA, UK, France, Germany, Japan) do not have an affinity and nostalgia towards SW. BO numbers for SW in Asia and Latin America are especially bad. I think 1.5-1.7B is probably where TROS will land.

Can Feige fix this? I don't know. It's a tall order especially after the name has become synonymous with sucks over there. We do know that cosmic and space movies can do well like that horrible Chinese flick that did 600MM in China. I also read somewhere that Feige's first love is Star Wars, then Star Trek, then Marvel and DC. That bodes well for EU and Legends being integrated in the canon storyline.
It's largely two things:

1) Too much of a reliance on nostalgia in all four of the currently released Disney SW films, including TLJ (specifically the throne room sequence, which is both too much of a reference to RotJ while still being one of its best scenes since it does enough of its own thing); and - as you pointed out, unlike with the other properties Disney's fine milking for nostalgia's worth, they aren't nostalgic worldwide like say The Lion King or Aladdin;

2) It's a trilogy that's built on two previous trilogies and has storylines that tie into both, you need to watch six other films to understand character motivations and why some things are important in the plot.

In other words, a lot of its current problems are just a matter of how old the series is (not to mention that, yeah, it has an entire trilogy that is considered bad and not really worth seeing except to see why everyone shared those hour-long Plinket reviews all those years ago), and a need to move on completely from the Skywalker Saga. It's Disney tho, who prefer to play it safe, so who knows what they'll do.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

As a Latin American I disagree. Star Wars was gigantic here during the prequels and during the lead up to TFA. After TLJ or maybe even sometime before it's like all the hype just died. Everyone here says the new movies are just boring and no one is particularly excited about TROS.

The prequels are seen much more favorably around here (probably because The dubs did wonders to hide Hayden's awful lines)

Its not a lack on nostalgia what's been happening to SW in LatAm. Can't speak for other regions tho.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Call me naive, but I actually don't think Feige doing a Star Wars movie is proof of him being groomed for Kennedy's job (why would it? He certainly doesn't need to prove his producing creds at this point). I think it's purely to do with Feige being a huge Star Wars fan and wanting to make a movie.

As long as Star Wars is anemic in China its global box office is going to struggle. Divorcing the new films from decades of continuity that Chinese audiences have no nostalgia for might help, but the end of this trilogy of trilogies isn't really the time and place for wiping the slate clean.

Or because the Kasdans threw a hissy fit over Lord & Miller messing with their mediocre screenplay

Well it's not just that they were deviating from their script, which would be one thing, but that they were reportedly shooting tons of takes for single scenes and it was throwing the production way off schedule.

Did you see the TLJ doc The Director and the Jedi? The scheduling on these movies looks like an absolute nightmare. Shooting has to be done on such tight deadlines because there's a thousand moving parts that on rely each day of shooting being done when it's supposed to be.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I'm starting to wonder how much Star Wars fans would have hated David Lynch if he signed on for Return of the Jedi as he was originally supposed to lol.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Eh, 2B is not "easy" for anything. There's only 5 movies total in history that have topped $2 billion and only one of them is a Star Wars movie.

Exactly, TFA brought that kind of momentum.

Had they played their cards right and kept the feel of a Star Wars movie being anice "Event" I'm certain we would be seeing Infinity War levels of success. Even if it meant less movies.

It's freaking Star Wars. Why are we suddenly treating it as if it wasn't one of the biggest franchises?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly, TFA brought that kind of momentum.

Had they played their cards right and kept the feel of a Star Wars movie being anice "Event" I'm certain we would be seeing Infinity War levels of success. Even if it meant less movies.

It's freaking Star Wars. Why are we suddenly treating it as if it wasn't one of the biggest franchises?

Actually inflation adjusted the only SW films that have topped $2 billion are The Force Awakens and the original Star Wars if you factor in some kind of baseline inflation on the global totals.

SW has never been a shoe-in for $2 billion and further to that we see a pretty clear pattern that Star Wars has never been able to reliably top even $1.5 billion without a large break period to build up hype for (TFA had 12 years in between, TPM like 16 years or whatever).

When SW doesn't have the benefit of like 10+ year wait, it's box office returns are far less impressive. Empire, Jedi, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, The Last Jedi ... none of these are close to $2 billion.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently one bomb = "audiences don't like Disney SW movies"

Despite them being critically acclaimed and averaging over a billion per film, even including Solo.

Disney probably has internal numbers and/or factors we don't know about, which was why they are so worried after Solo. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here. They don't strike me as, say, WB, who ran around like chickens with their heads cut off after BvS. I'm assuming they have a damn good reason for their decision making this far. But hey, maybe I'm wrong...

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Really hope he can make them. TLJ is amazing, Knives Out confirms how brilliant he is and he is such a nice dude.