• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Following his work on Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Johnson will now create an entirely new story that is disconnected from the main Skywalker saga.

"I think that the fun and challenging part of it is to dive in, figure out what's exciting and then figure out what it's going to be," he said. "We're doing something that steps beyond the legacy characters. What does that look like? To me, the blue sky element of it is what was most striking about it. I know the way that I'm coming at it and what's fun about it for everyone in George Lucas' films is figuring out, 'what's the next step?' It really makes you think and figure out what the essence of Star Wars is for me and what that will look like moving forward."

"Well, you have to shoot a lot faster," the director said with a laugh when asked about making Knives Out compared to The Last Jedi. "It's less about the scale of it and more the type of movie it is. Obviously, there's a different approach in the Star Wars universe and some of that is just logistics and the type of film it is."

"For me, one of the fun things about [Knives Out] was how dialogue-based it was," he continued. "It was really fun to get a group of great actors together and give them a ton of words. In a Star Wars movie, you're usually trying to be as efficient with dialogue as possible, which is a good thing. Of course, I worked with some of the best actors on the planet in Star Wars. You're just chasing a very different rabbit. With Knives Out, you could write more words and just sit back with a huge smile on my face as they shoot them."

Me seeing Rian Johnson is still making his trilogy after Youtube told me it was cancelled:
tenor.gif

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just bring on a damn story editor to look for massive plot holes this time. He has good ideas but needs someone to pay attention to the small things so the movie makes some damn sense this time. I still don't know how a slow speed space chase when ships can jump to light speed got out of the first draft.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear he's still working on another trilogy, and Knives Out looks like a load of fun.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear that. TLJ is easily my fave SW movie, and Knives Out looked really fun. cant wait!

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just bring on a damn story editor to look for massive plot holes this time. He has good ideas but needs someone to pay attention to the small things so the movie makes some damn sense this time. I still don't know how a slow speed space chase when ships can jump to light speed got out of the first draft.

the fuck are you talking about?

there is a established story group at lucas film, and if they gave the greenlight then there is nothing wrong with it.

also they explain why they cant jump, holy shit.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this means that D&D's Star Wars has been pushed back a bit? Exactly what Star Wars movie is going to be released in 2022?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

The bad guys knew they were running out of jumps and fuel and were arrogant enough to assume they could minimize causalities on their side and just exhaust them out and pick them off rather than getting into a big fight.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Good thing Disney didn't let the tiny army of entitled haters influence their decision this time.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How many trilogies are being planned? 2 so far, one with Rian, and the other with D&D?

They going to alternate between them or something?

Regardless, I'm all for a trilogy of films helmed by the same writers that knows where establish plot threads with actually lead to. Hearing that Abrams set up plot threads with no idea where they would go in the sequels was super aggravating.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly hope it comes out as soon as possible as I am 10000% in favor of moving the SW into new territory at this point.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll take him over D&D anyday. I feel like people would have appreciated TLJ a lot more if it was actually a standalone story and didn't have the baggage of the other movies.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Hated TLJ but that's beside the point since he's doing a story entirely unrelated to any established story so I'm not really concerned at all. So I'm keeping a very open mind and I'm optimistic that he can create a good story in a vacuum.

Better than D&D who I know are hacks after the way they rushed to finish GOT.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Rian was the best thing to happen to SW. Can't wait to watch more while drinking the haters tears

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to it, TLJ was great and a completely new film not set around the events and characters of the main series would be a welcome change.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Once this skywalker saga ends, it'll be fun to see where the series can go without the baggage having to tie into a 40 year old set of films. Star Wars could have a big set of variety, but it's been stuck with the same old for awhile now which has been the biggest dampener on the new films.

Hope they come up with something great.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
TLJ is fantastic, and I'm excited beyond all words to see what he'll do with a blank slate. The idea of Star Wars movies that are truly new is something I've wanted since I was a kid.

Apropos of nothing, friendly reminder that The Brothers Bloom rules and people should watch it

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Did you watch the movie?

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The bad guys knew they were running out of jumps and fuel and were arrogant enough to assume they could minimize causalities on their side and just exhaust them out and pick them off rather than getting into a big fight.
That's not really how it's portrayed in the film, then again FO are in general portrayed as incompetent so maybe there was something resembling reasonable thought hidden underneath the stupidity portrayed by the hierarchy.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Even with all of the TLJ problems, There is no doubt in my mind his solo trilogy will be the best in all of star wars

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
what i find even more funny is that people keep calling "slow speed chase"

like mother fucker they are probably going like 2000km/s

That's not really how it's portrayed in the film, then again FO are in general portrayed as incompetent so maybe there was something resembling reasonable thought hidden underneath the stupidity portrayed by the hierarchy.

yes it was, every line of hux its an indication of hubris and how they cant lose

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really care for TLJ, but I think Rian will do a lot better with more freedom rather than being restricted to the middle entry of a trilogy.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Letting the guy who wrote and directed the best Star Wars movie off the chain to do whatever he wants for a trilogy sounds like exactly the adrenaline shot to the heart the franchise needs after Solo's stumble and whatever JJ does to wrap the Skywalker story up. But first I guess we gotta get through whatever D&D are gonna make...

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

It's been a while but IIRC there's literally a line about knowing they can wait them out or something especially since they can track their jump

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I can't fucking wait. I have no doubt both Knives Out and his Star Wars trilogy will be great.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
That's slow as far as space is concerned when there's almost no resistance to slow down your acceleration.
Everything is slow where space is concerned because it's fucking space. You could be going near the speed of light and it would still take you hundreds of years to get anywhere.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
what i find even more funny is that people keep calling "slow speed chase"

like mother fucker they are probably going like 2000km/s

yes it was, every line of hux its an indication of hubris and how they cant lose
I'm talking more about the conversation he was having with his subordinates about the situation which was hardly that of a arrogant strategist and and more of an incompetent leader thrust upon in a less than ideal but still overwhelming position situation.