• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Based on that I think the GoT guy's trilogy will take up most of the 2020s and I don't think they'll have two trilogies going on at the same time.

Just think people will move on over the years and plans will change.

No one needs to get upset. I'm not dissing Rian or anything, it's just a logistics thing.
Disney released five Star Wars films in five years. While they might be slowing down that pace, they're not going to limit it to just three movies in a decade either.

Nobody knows what Disney and Lucasfilm are planning for how they schedule these movies out, but it's probably a safe bet that we don't now know everything they are planning to release over the next 10 years.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, and I'm saying it won't happen.
In what universe does someone who does a franchise film that was gigantic critical and commercial success get a second movie in the franchise taken away from him?

There isn't a single studio who would look at what RJ and think "he made us a ton of money and was easy to work with, we better lock him up as long as possible."

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
You want nuance? Okay get ready for paragraph mode.

TLJ is horrific, terrible, bad movie for mant reasons.

A) With the exception of Rey, all the other main characters and top supporting characters do super dumb shit, nonsensical desicision making that even a functional regular average person wouldn't do. And lots of dumb actions taken by characters seemed forced just to shoe horn the plot direction regardless of common sense.

B) Because important characters are making awful decisions with a layer of dumb, it also makes all the intertwining connections feel off. For like 99% of the characters.

C) so when a character acts not just impulse but sheer stupidity it ends making the situation around the character inevitably stupid.

You can't watch this installement (TLJ) in the series and have ??? pop everywhere because neatly all characters are continuously doing dumb shit.

List of dumb shit:
Poe: reckless run, no disregard of life of teammates. Constantly talks like pre-teem

Holdo: creating an atmosphere of questioning, bad judgement and distrust by not explaining her ill conceived plan that "artificially" creates a convenient narrative for a Poe vs Holdo situation that did even need to exist if she was a competant leader ( which she is not)

Huxx: downgrade from previous movie. His punching bag status reduces his threat notoriety making the audience not take him seriously.

I'm tired of typing but you see where this goes, aside from Rey, everyone else on the movie is a complete idiot

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ahhh yes, holdo is an incompetent leader. you're right I do see exactly where that goes. right into the gutter_trash

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You've completely not read my posts explaining why.

I simply just don't think they'll have two trilogies running at the same time and over time plans will just change.

Calm down.
I mean this is Disney and they probably want to have the ability of Marvel to have multiple individual movie franchises at once for Star Wars so I don't think it's unlikely to see multiple trilogies at once. Hell, given how they structure Marvel they may want to do Marvel for the Spring/Summer and Star Wars in the Fall/Winter.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Holdo: creating an atmosphere of questioning, bad judgement and distrust by not explaining her ill conceived plan that "artificially" creates a convenient narrative for a Poe vs Holdo situation that did even need to exist if she was a competant leader ( which she is not)
Why the fuck would an admiral be expected to explain her command decisions to a captain who had literally just been busted back down to captain for being a reckless jackass? This is not how a command structure works and Poe was being an asshole expecting special privileges for being teacher's pet. She explained the plan to the people who needed to know, the other commanding officers on the bridge with her. A plan that was solid until Poe fucked it all up.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
There is probably no worse criticism of movies than "the characters were dumb/did dumb things." Because nearly all of the time what that really means is, "the characters didn't do what I think they should have done."

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
In what universe does someone who does a franchise film that was gigantic critical and commercial success get a second movie in the franchise taken away from him?

There isn't a single studio who would look at what RJ and think "he made us a ton of money and was easy to work with, we better lock him up as long as possible."

will-smith-tljk2jwp.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
You want nuance? Okay get ready for paragraph mode.

You can't watch this installement (TLJ) in the series and have ??? pop everywhere because neatly all characters are continuously doing dumb shit.

List of dumb shit:
Poe: reckless run, no disregard of life of teammates. Constantly talks like pre-teem

Huxx: downgrade from previous movie. His punching bag status reduces his threat notoriety making the audience not take him seriously.

I'm tired of typing but you see where this goes, aside from Rey, everyone else on the movie is a complete idiot

Poe's actions really aren't any more reckless or dumb than the things Han does in the OT but Han was written to be the fun guy who always beats the odds because that's just what the writers wanted. TLJ aims to kinda subvert that trope with Poe. Some people didn't like it because they felt it goes against what SW is: a swashbuckling adventure where the heroes do the impossible and win the day ... and I get that but it doesn't necessarily mean the characters are stupid because the writer is stupid and thus doesn't understand human behavior. It's because the writer had a very specific idea in mind when exploring the character's actions

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
There is probably no worse criticism of movies than "the characters were dumb/did dumb things." Because nearly all of the time what that really means is, "the characters didn't do what I think they should have done."
"If I was on Pandora, I would have done things differently. First of all, I'm not handicapped."

Jan 3, 2018
I just wish TLJ focused more on Rey instead of giving Luke the limelight yet again. He didn't need a whole character arc and he didn't need to be the main hero.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Right, but that doe snot apply to all movies, we can be critical to understand the context of a movie and say "hey given that context, the decision that character made is stupid". An example I would give is Jaimie in the last season of GOT.

If a decision is stupid but it was set up, it does not matter that it was stupid. Its within the character and the concept. But if its just stupid to move plot forward without consideration for context, it was universally stupid.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
475 478, also check 504.

Never mentioned alt right talking points. My point is that we've all heard the case for why TLJ sucks a million times and complaining about the movie in every SW thread is played out, especially now that some of the actors are getting chased off social media by angry nerds

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I loved TLJ from the start but only recently found this article that I think a lot of people who had issues with the film should read. It does get a little much in the last paragraph but I feel like it was like that last breath of relief of getting it all out and peacing out.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Why the fuck would an admiral be expected to explain her command decisions to a captain who had literally just been busted back down to captain for being a reckless jackass? This is not how a command structure works and Poe was being an asshole expecting special privileges for being teacher's pet. She explained the plan to the people who needed to know, the other commanding officers on the bridge with her. A plan that was solid until Poe fucked it all up.
Granted I watched the movie a long time ago, but I think the complaint was more like we were never shown a reason for er not wanting to tell him. Was there a scene of her talking to Leia or someone saying she does not trust him, or anything like that? You are right she didn't have to tell him, but for the audience her reason boiled down to "cuz I don wanna".

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Never mentioned alt right talking points. My point is that we've all heard the case for why TLJ sucks a million times and complaining about the movie in every SW thread is played out, especially now that some of the actors are getting chased off social media by angry nerds
Post after you did, included you for the whole picture.

Thats also why I didnt qoute you directly.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Granted I watched the movie a long time ago, but I think the complaint was more like we were never shown a reason for er not wanting to tell him. Was there a scene of her talking to Leia or someone saying she does not trust him, or anything like that? You are right she didn't have to tell him, but for the audience her reason boiled down to "cuz I don wanna".

and?!!!

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

poe got demoted for being a reckless jackass

it was right there in the post

he wasn't in the loop because he could have done some more reckless jackass stuff to fuck everything up and even still he found a way to do some more reckless jackass stuff anyway and fucked everything up

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The reason boiled down to "you're too reckless, sacrificed nearly all our starships which was our only advantage against these capital ships for your own glory, and was more caring about killing a dreadnought then the lost of all our bombers". Which, given how he immediately goes "let's risk it all on an insane ploy" and said ploy costing even more lives, she has a point.

OP
OP
Ryan.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

He wasn't in a position to be told. He got demoted for disobeying orders. Nothing else is needed.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I loved TLJ from the start but only recently found this article that I think a lot of people who had issues with the film should read. It does get a little much in the last paragraph but I feel like it was like that last breath of relief of getting it all out and peacing out.

That's excellent. But it's going to fall on TL;DR ears.

Oct 28, 2017
poe got demoted for being a reckless jackass

it was right there in the post

he wasn't in the loop because he could have done some more reckless jackass stuff to fuck everything up and even still he found a way to do some more reckless jackass stuff anyway and fucked everything up

The movie does muddy this a bit by having him take out the Dreadnaught which arguably would have taken out the whole fleet if it followed them through hyperspace. So, Poe's reckless antics actually ended up saving everyone.

It also would have been able to penetrate the orbital shields protecting Crait

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The movie does muddy this a bit by having him take out the Dreadnaught which arguably would have taken out the whole fleet if it followed them through hyperspace. So, Poe's reckless antics actually ended up saving everyone.

I think leia sitting there and watching all their ships go offline because they got destroyed and then handing poe his ass when he gets back counters that

edit: doesn't leia straight up slap him across the face?

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

i have argue this several times, but i dont think poe destroying the dreadnaught should be seeing as "wow he really saved us!" when the Supremacy shows,

the supremacy showing up only reinforces that destroying the dreadnaught was for nothing.

a916

Oct 25, 2017

Some of this stuff falls under BvS levels of analyzing like the Luke drinks milk out of a nipple to purposefully shatter his mystisicism from Rey's perspective. That's some 4D level chess being played here lol... can't tell if this a satire or not.

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
Holdo was so great a leader and at communication that she inspired her crew to mutiny against her.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some of this stuff falls under BvS levels of analyzing like the Luke drinks milk out of a nipple to purposefully shatter his mystisicism from Rey's perspective. That's some 4D level chess being played here lol... can't tell if this a satire or not.

how can anyone read the scene in any other way?

literally rey see those things and she is marveled, then lukes drinks the milk and she is disgusted.

like no need for 4D chess there pal

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you're saying that characters can never change and that, if they have a character flaw in one movie, they should have that same character flaw forever and, in Luke's case, worse even if they've literally been shown to have 'gotten over it'? How incredibly nihilistic.

Counter-argument: The existence of this thread and the fact that I'm somehow once again subjecting myself to reams of myopic discourse.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Supremacy is not equipped with the same ventral cannons that the Dreadnaught is

those cannons excel at orbital bombarding.

it doesnt make any difference if it was the supremacy or the dreadnaught shooting at the rebels.

it was for nothing.

Holdo communicated precisely as much as she needed to communicate. Poe was a hot-shot who thought he was bigger than the Rebellion.

don waste your time, like 6 people mutinied and the rest were on holdo side.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
how can anyone read the scene in any other way?

literally rey see those things and she is marveled, then lukes drinks the milk and she is disgusted.

like no need for 4D chess there pal

That's not at all what I'm saying. What you're describing is what happened. What I'm questioning is what the article proposes that Luke did that on purpose to get that specific reaction out of her.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's not at all what I'm saying. What you're describing is what happened. What I'm questioning is what the article proposes that Luke did that on purpose to get that specific reaction out of her.

oh yeah the dirty look on her and satisfaction of the freshly milk is what lukes does everytime he drinks it.

he was trying to repel rey away

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Holdo was so great a leader and at communication that she inspired her crew to mutiny against her.

I just don't know how a rational person could think that Poe was in the right. The guy has a problem following orders, a problem that leads to disastrous losses for the Resistance in the beginning of the goddamn movie, and you still get dudes who think he is right to CONTINUE to not follow orders as if him following them should be conditional in some way.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I'd agree it was reading into things if not for the fact the dude is staring her down while he's doing it.

Oct 28, 2017

That's bullshit. That's pretty much exactly what he's doing. He wants her to leave... as if to say, is this the great Luke Skywalker you were hoping to find here?

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TLJ was so good ya'll. I'm so psyched we're getting more RJ films.

Hes probably the best thing to ever happen to star wars.